Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 257

Thread: Home distilled

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 308

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Toasted or charred? That looks like charred to me. Virgin oak or pre-used?
    Virgin oak, it came toasted but I added a char to it yes. Brings out the sweetness of the wood nicely
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    921
    Thanked: 1636

    Default Re: Home distilled

    It's funny that it only gives that small amount of colour, IMO. My piece (a 90gram piece of stave) turned this rum deep gold overnight...

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 308

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Looking at your picture I think you charred your staves a bit more heavily than I did mine.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    921
    Thanked: 1636

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Yes mine was charred all the way to "crocodile skin" like they call it. Literally burned to coal on the surface, and then rapidly watered down.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East London
    Age
    60
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 47

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    921
    Thanked: 1636

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Glad this thread popped up, I forgot about it a bit. I got a relatively strong wash for a member currently done fermenting and I'll be distilling it tomorrow. My own rum for the competition is coming along really, really nicely and I'm totally in love with that rum. I ended up including:

    New American Oak
    New French Oak, charred
    Ex-Bourbon cash Oak chips

    This was in the picture previously posted. To that I added:

    25ml of Glycerine, for the entire 6.5l batch
    9 Allspice berries
    A fat pinch of aniseed
    6 Whole cloves
    A knife's tip of cinnamon (really scared of cinnamon in my drinks)
    25ml of Bourbon Vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon of Treacle #3 molasses
    3 Slivers of orange peel

    The spices and orange peel went into a hop bag, which was dumped into the rum for 5 days. After that time, the orange peel started to break down and completely clouded up my rum. I almost panicked but it still tasted really well, so I left it. Now it's coming along nicely and clearing up well. It's still at 70% ABV, still on the oak, and it's simply amazing now. I had a sample with Coke over the weekend and it's mindblowingly good for my own taste. It's almost exactly what I want from a rum, so I'm really happy. I'll be filtering it soon (to get rid of the orange peel gunk) and then I'll post a pic of how it looks...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

    WAJ

  8. #207
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,665
    Thanked: 2073

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Hey, jy moet stook boet, minder klets op die forum
    Willem

    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  9. #208
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 308

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Glad this thread popped up, I forgot about it a bit. I got a relatively strong wash for a member currently done fermenting and I'll be distilling it tomorrow. My own rum for the competition is coming along really, really nicely and I'm totally in love with that rum. I ended up including:

    New American Oak
    New French Oak, charred
    Ex-Bourbon cash Oak chips

    This was in the picture previously posted. To that I added:

    25ml of Glycerine, for the entire 6.5l batch
    9 Allspice berries
    A fat pinch of aniseed
    6 Whole cloves
    A knife's tip of cinnamon (really scared of cinnamon in my drinks)
    25ml of Bourbon Vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon of Treacle #3 molasses
    3 Slivers of orange peel

    The spices and orange peel went into a hop bag, which was dumped into the rum for 5 days. After that time, the orange peel started to break down and completely clouded up my rum. I almost panicked but it still tasted really well, so I left it. Now it's coming along nicely and clearing up well. It's still at 70% ABV, still on the oak, and it's simply amazing now. I had a sample with Coke over the weekend and it's mindblowingly good for my own taste. It's almost exactly what I want from a rum, so I'm really happy. I'll be filtering it soon (to get rid of the orange peel gunk) and then I'll post a pic of how it looks...
    When you do your wash, do you get fancy by putting backset / stillage in with the fresh wash (or in at the point of distilling) or do you just do a clean wash every time (ie just sugar and mollasses).
    I know Riaan was very much into using stillage and even had started looking at using dunder or wild yeast, just wondering what others on here are doing.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  10. #209
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    921
    Thanked: 1636

    Default Re: Home distilled

    I have no interest in using wild yeast, specifically because you don't know how much of the sugar it'll convert to alcohol. You also risk infections that'll turn your precious alcohol into vinegar, or other stuff you don't want to drink. So I'll keep using regular baker's yeast or cheap brewer's yeast.

    Regarding using backset - not yet. I find saving it is a bit harder than I had hoped, but I have plans on using some backset from my current fermentation (WAJ's rum) to start my next batch of rum. I'll use about 30% of the volume as backset instead of water and I'll build on that from here on.

    I buffer the pH with Potassium Hydroxide so I'm not worried about the acidity.

  11. #210
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,645
    Thanked: 179

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Rum run running like a champ.
    With my little reflux still..
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:


  13. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    48
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 1545

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Does it count as transporting liquor if a neighbor wanders over with an empty glass and leaves with a full one?

  14. #212
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    51
    Posts
    544
    Thanked: 234

    Default Re: Home distilled

    I am jelouse, think I must chat to Jelo again re fabricating as still....
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

  15. #213
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,645
    Thanked: 179

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    I am jelouse, think I must chat to Jelo again re fabricating as still....
    Can make you one and send it up
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

  16. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    41,289
    Thanked: 18202

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    I am jelouse, think I must chat to Jelo again re fabricating as still....
    I'm no expert. And I didn't even make my own still. Use Benson.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  17. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,665
    Thanked: 2073

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Hmmm how much $$ for a still Mr Benson?
    Willem

    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  18. #216
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,645
    Thanked: 179

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Hmmm how much $$ for a still Mr Benson?
    If I make two it will be around R7000 each for a reflux with a 30l keg with element.
    Looks like this one but with a keg.
    Gives a nice. Constant 89%
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

    WAJ

  20. #217
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 308

    Default Re: Home distilled

    A question to those of you that do 100% molasses washes, what sort of SG do you find your conversion is stopping at?
    Obviously a pure sugar wash can get down to 0 but with the unconvertable sugars in molasses where do you find you "hit the wall"?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  21. #218
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    41,289
    Thanked: 18202

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    A question to those of you that do 100% molasses washes, what sort of SG do you find your conversion is stopping at?
    Obviously a pure sugar wash can get down to 0 but with the unconvertable sugars in molasses where do you find you "hit the wall"?
    will have to check but it really depends on WHAT molasses.......feed grade is horrible and very rarely goes below 1.030 / 7.5 Brix.

    My advice: start under 1.100 / 24 Brix and use a turbo yeast. Check for pH, add nutrients and above all, give it time.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  23. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    921
    Thanked: 1636

    Default Re: Home distilled

    Feed grade molasses is around 45% fermentable. So your FG will depend on your OG.

  24. #220
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    48
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 1545

    Default Re: Home distilled

    You guys make me want to brew.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •