Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Home distilled

Default Re: Home distilled

I took the advice from George at Barley and Hops to position my element 1/3 of the way up the keg. I knew nothing then. It was bad advice as I need 12l to cover the element which means that small spirit runs are impossible. At least you got yours way down.

I see you have your outlet above the lowest point in the keg. I want my keg to stay in situ so I placed mine at the very bottom of the keg so it drains everything. I still need to add a port to the top so that with large batches of wash I can simply empty the keg of all the backset and simply refill without having to touch any hot parts and or undo anything.

The other bad advice I took from George was to go with a PID controller. I have since setup a SCR which deliver constant power.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I took the advice from George at Barley and Hops to position my element 1/3 of the way up the keg. I knew nothing then. It was bad advice as I need 12l to cover the element which means that small spirit runs are impossible. At least you got yours way down.

I see you have your outlet above the lowest point in the keg. I want my keg to stay in situ so I placed mine at the very bottom of the keg so it drains everything. I still need to add a port to the top so that with large batches of wash I can simply empty the keg of all the backset and simply refill without having to touch any hot parts and or undo anything.

The other bad advice I took from George was to go with a PID controller. I have since setup a SCR which deliver constant power.
    So the guy asked me how low to mount the element, and I said "very low". If I want to do a small batch, I want to be able to without (like you mention) having to fill up the whole thing.

Regarding the drain valve - there's a reason I mounted it a tiny bit higher. I want to be able to pull dunder or backset from the kettle after the stripping run. However, I also know that if you complete the strip and you let the kettle stand for a bit, the dunder or backset will clear out quite nicely in a few minutes, allowing me to pull clear dunder or backset without the remaining bits of solids into the collection vessel. There's only one reason for that - I want to be able to collect clear dunder so that I can mix it in with my hearts when making a black rum. I have no confirmation, but I'm 99% sure that all Captain Morgan does with their black rum is run the strip, collect the clear dunder and mix that with their spirit to produce their black rum. That rum tastes exactly like a base of white rum with some dunder added. Very little sweetness, so it's not fresh molasses, and little mouthfeel so there's also not a lot of sugar added. I want to build from there.

Regarding the controller - I'm going SSR. It's cheap and it works, and should be relatively robust and easy to fix if something breaks. Can also turn it up 100% to run the full power if and when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Buy some more rum... Mate you haven't bought a drop from me yet :P That sample was free.

But yes, rum's on the cards. Sooner rather than later. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have a bit to hand out as samples. I bought a bottle of Cap Morgan's Black rum and it seems to be REALLY simple.

Minor technicality
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

So been making progress on my modular still.

So regrets are that I never started with a 50l keg. But at least I did think of moving to a CCVM from the outset. The reflux coil is in progress. I may consider a second Liebig condenser, longer and made from 28mm with a 15mm inner. I need to order my sight glass which will be located below the T Piece.

To circumvent not being able do smaller spirit runs I will be making provision for fitting a two burner heater to the bottom. The drain from the keg will pass through the center of the burner and the burner will be permanently fixed so at any one point in time any one of two heating sources can be used and or used together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_assy_1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	609136

Some detail of the T Piece and the Liebig. The outlet from the T Piece is 22mm. I may consider opening this up to say 35mm.

Name:	rsz_detail_1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	378.9 KB 
ID:	609137

Although I do not use temperature as a metric in distilling but hate going back to alter things after they are made. I have included a 5mm compression glad in the T Piece just in case I want to take measurements or to document experiments. I have also included a threaded nipple in the keg to measure wash temperature for reasons of documentation and experimentation.

Name:	rsz_detail_2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	609138

I am chomping at the bit to get distilling, but will temper my enthusiasm and wait for the sight glass first.

Now to do some research of what to pack the column with. Was thinking of marbles in the bottom and copper scrubber in the top.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Andrew be very careful with using copper scrubbers.
    I bought some "copper scrubbers" to pack my column, being very careful to avoid the ones that openly advertised that they were only copper coated....
    After doing a weekends runs, opened the column to find a very black scrubber that basically pulled apart when I tried to remove it.
    Not sure if it was copper coating steel or what it was but ended up throwing away a whole batch (well not throw away, will run as sanitizer, but can't drink it).
    Make sure you buy your copper from one of the brewing / distilling shops to be safe.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

I have some copper mesh if you need.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7360.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	609175
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    I have some copper mesh if you need.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7360.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	609175
    Out of interest how big a roll is / was that?
    1kg? 500g?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

500g
    Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Out of interest how big a roll is / was that?
    1kg? 500g?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Now to do some research of what to pack the column with. Was thinking of marbles in the bottom and copper scrubber in the top.
    Sir, either take Benson up on his offer, or buy some. You are also looking for 2" copper ferrules, if I'm not mistaken? I bought mine from YeahBrew here in Pretoria. They have both mesh and ferrules. Mesh runs at R500 per kg (I bought 500g for my column) and the ferrules are R190 each.

Now, the important question. How did you get your column so pretty and clean?

Sir, either take Benson up on his offer, or buy some. You are also looking for 2" copper ferrules, if I'm not mistaken? I bought mine from YeahBrew here in Pretoria. They have both mesh and ferrules. Mesh runs at R500 per kg (I bought 500g for my column) and the ferrules are R190 each.

Ketelkraal is cheaper, R300 for 500g mesh, R175 for 2" ferule
    Neil

I hear you.

On the copper ferrules, I was looking for some a while ago and then decided to go with SS which is a pain. Copper I can solder SS I need to send out.

On the column. Lots of work, all excess brazing and soldering is removed with a sharp knife, files and needle files. The where appropriate emery cloths it use and finally green Scotch Brite pad. I still need another finer step before polishing. It is a bit of PT but I like both function and form. That took about 5 hours of my Sunday. Still not perfect but most the work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    Ketelkraal is cheaper, R300 for 500g mesh, R175 for 2" ferule
    By my maths it's still cheaper to pay R250 for 500g then.

Also, Ketelkraal's service is...interesting. If you don't go out to them, you can forget getting replies. I asked them about stuff they're selling last week Thursday already. Message received and read - no reply.

By my maths it's still cheaper to pay R250 for 500g then.

Also, Ketelkraal's service is...interesting. If you don't go out to them, you can forget getting replies. I asked them about stuff they're selling last week Thursday already. Message received and read - no reply.
    Ah ketelkraal... to comment or not to comment.
    Rather not.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

look what arrived in the post today

Name:	sight glass.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	609388
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

That's pretty... I think that's my next stuff to get as well. A sight glass section, with a bubbler plate below a reflux section.

From where and what was the price?

Is this 2" with ferrules either side?
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/03/17 at 11:33 AM.

That's pretty... I think that's my next stuff to get as well. A sight glass section, with a bubbler plate below a reflux section.
    I saw a guy fitting a bubbler plate inside the bottom of the sight glass.

Man we made a lot of these.

Name:	254CA194-6709-4320-B95E-1FE1BCA33148.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	609394

Well don't hold out on us, willing to share the know how?

How much would you charge for a 2 inch one out of interest (seems like the guys might be interested)?
    Have you made any bubble plates for a 2 inch column?

I have seen a few, but they all only seem to have one upcomer and then a hole for the downcomer, I am trying to find one that has 2 up and 1 down on a 2 inch plate.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast