Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Home distilled

Default Re: Home distilled

Okay
    a lot to read through.
    Basics first.
    Hoe much do you want to distill. And long to want to distill?
    As all these are related to the size of your coloumn and boiler.
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Ja sorry to Benson - we are hijacking your thread a bit here

But I would like a "friend" in the distilling business for the "maer jare" when they lock the dopshops again one day
    Well if you would like a friend to make you some rums and stuff, hit me up. My whisky is still touch-and-go, but my rums are pretty great, even if I have to say so myself. I'm guessing gin will be easy as well.

Regarding buying a still - yeah I can buy a lekker one for R10k. That's true. I want to build one for a lot less though, considering I'm working on a strict budget here. Ideally I'll find someone with an antique 100l copper geyser I can modify and spoeg en plak to make work to what I want, ideally with a nice 54mm column with reflux option, a lyne arm and then my condenser (which works wonders, TBH).

Regarding those 50l urns - I have one already, I use it to make beer. I'm not sure it'll seal though. The lid is flimsy at best. I'm also not sure I want to go electric. Temperature control can be a bit spotty with electric...?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Okay
    a lot to read through.
    Basics first.
    Hoe much do you want to distill. And long to want to distill?
    As all these are related to the size of your coloumn and boiler.
    More, and more often. Ideally I want to distill 2 x 20l batches of wash in a stripping run, saving low wines either for a later distill, or an immediate distill. I don't mind doing 2 stripping runs on a 50l batch of wash, so I'm guessing around 30l would be my max I'd really need for now.

My reflux design is simple yet extremely effective.
    30/50l boiler with element conversion.
    On the 39l I can start her up at 17:30 and be done by 20:00/20:30
    And still getting 90% alcohol from the run.
    Also you can add a gin basket or a thumper and flavour while stripping. Saving you the extra run.
    You can also ad an amp controller for the element, but that's a nice to have. Using the water flow to control the reflux is good enough with this one. You can also use it as a potstill.

I played around with a lot of different designs, issue I had was the sitting and distilling for hours and hours on end. Hence this one works a charm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Well if you would like a friend to make you some rums and stuff, hit me up. My whisky is still touch-and-go, but my rums are pretty great, even if I have to say so myself. I'm guessing gin will be easy as well.

Regarding buying a still - yeah I can buy a lekker one for R10k. That's true. I want to build one for a lot less though, considering I'm working on a strict budget here. Ideally I'll find someone with an antique 100l copper geyser I can modify and spoeg en plak to make work to what I want, ideally with a nice 54mm column with reflux option, a lyne arm and then my condenser (which works wonders, TBH).

Regarding those 50l urns - I have one already, I use it to make beer. I'm not sure it'll seal though. The lid is flimsy at best. I'm also not sure I want to go electric. Temperature control can be a bit spotty with electric...?
    Ja I wont mind trying out your rums - I dont like whiskey, at all though.
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Rum it is then. I'll be starting a wash this weekend, hopefully!

OK I found a 50l keg. Now just to negotiate the price down a bit. Good dude so also don't want to "do him in".

Now - how does one remove the spear and stuff on the keg? I asked GaryFrank but the guy seems to be quite busy (thanks for the reply if you're reading this man, I appreciate the assistance so far! I'll drop you a WhatsApp during the day somewhere).

Also, where does one find the correct copper pipe, or any sort of pipe, for that matter? I see Ketelkraal sells SS piping in sections, and that actually looks really awesome, but I want to try and compare costs. Copper piping, 2" would be the coolest thing EVER to have on the still.

Now - how does one remove the spear and stuff on the keg?
    Use vice-grip pliers and push them in around the rubber seal, grab hold of the centre steel pin and turn anti-clockwise, it should fall in.

DEPRESSURISE THE KEG BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT IT!!!

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js - Don't bother with the screwdrivers, just use the pliers to depress the rubber seal.
    Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 2021/02/24 at 12:07 PM.

OK I'm getting it without the spear, that's the guy's deal then I get it for cheap, so that's great!

So now, column and lyne arm build. How does one fit the column to the keg? I see you can get 2" tri-clamps that apparently fit over the keg's mouth perfectly, so that sorts that. But how does one fit something to the other end of the tri-clamp?

Rum it is then. I'll be starting a wash this weekend, hopefully!
    My laat weet as dit reg is om te kom proe / koop
    Willem

(workshop whore)

I see this place sells copper tubing, up to 76mm

https://coppertubing.co.za/products/...engths/page/3/

Sadly no prices on their website and one must request a quote on items listed.

How does one bend it into a coil without it splitting at the seam? (I assume it has a seam of some kind)
    Willem

(workshop whore)

OK I'm getting it without the spear, that's the guy's deal then I get it for cheap, so that's great!

So now, column and lyne arm build. How does one fit the column to the keg? I see you can get 2" tri-clamps that apparently fit over the keg's mouth perfectly, so that sorts that. But how does one fit something to the other end of the tri-clamp?
    Buy a 2" coppper or stainless ferrule which you solder or weld to whatever you are building on the other side.
    Neil

I have a few Alcohol and hydrometers left if you guys don't have. R185 each
    Name:  camphoto_1804928587.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  158.1 KB

My laat weet as dit reg is om te kom proe / koop
    Ek maak so!

I see this place sells copper tubing, up to 76mm

https://coppertubing.co.za/products/...engths/page/3/

Sadly no prices on their website and one must request a quote on items listed.

How does one bend it into a coil without it splitting at the seam? (I assume it has a seam of some kind)
    Ongelukkig is hierdie net in 5.5m lengtes, en teen die gewone prys van so rondom R400 per meter is dit bietjie rof. En soos jy noem, buig is 'n massive issue, mens moet gewoonlik bends koop.

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    Buy a 2" coppper or stainless ferrule which you solder or weld to whatever you are building on the other side.
    Yes I've figured out this part. Ferrule on the keg, solder to the column. However, the problem comes in when I'm going to try and solder the column to the lyne arm. I want to use 22mm pipe for the lyne arm, because it's readily available and compression fittings are awesome.

But my question is, how do I get a 2" column pipe down to a 22mm size? I don't see reducers or stuff like that available. I can see from 28mm down to 22mm, so that's fine, but how to get from 2" down to 28mm? 28mm is workable (and actually fine), but my problem is, how do I get down from 2" to 28mm.

Ek maak so!

Ongelukkig is hierdie net in 5.5m lengtes, en teen die gewone prys van so rondom R400 per meter is dit bietjie rof. En soos jy noem, buig is 'n massive issue, mens moet gewoonlik bends koop.

Yes I've figured out this part. Ferrule on the keg, solder to the column. However, the problem comes in when I'm going to try and solder the column to the lyne arm. I want to use 22mm pipe for the lyne arm, because it's readily available and compression fittings are awesome.

But my question is, how do I get a 2" column pipe down to a 22mm size? I don't see reducers or stuff like that available. I can see from 28mm down to 22mm, so that's fine, but how to get from 2" down to 28mm? 28mm is workable (and actually fine), but my problem is, how do I get down from 2" to 28mm.
    Plumblink has all the fittings you need to do a reduction.
    Remember you can't solder stainless steel to copper with plumbers solder, so try get a copper ferrule if you can (unless you have access to somebody who can do like tig welding).
    Distillique is where I have bought mine in the past but it looks like they may be out of stock.

Try phoning around your local plumbers or gas installers to see if any of them maybe have shorter lengths of 50mm pipe, buying a full length is just not feasible, you better off buying a pre made column then like below
    (somebody on here might even be able to make something for you out of stainless steel)

https://www.ketelkraal.co.za/product...azuka-5l-tank/
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Ek het 54-22 reducer op my reflux kolom, en het ook 32-22 en 40-22 op ander plekke, partymaal moet mens bietjie speel en bv n male kant as female gebruik ens. Kry vir jou n plumbing shop wat jou gaan toelaat om in hul stoor rond te loop.
    Neil

OK I found a plumbing place that said they'll build me the stuff I need (reducers and so on) on the cheap. So they said they can build me a 2" to 28mm reducer with all fittings and stuff for under R100, so that's a bargain.

Regarding the ferrule - I found copper ferrules already. Soldering a 2" copper column to that should be pretty simple (actually looking forward to that).

So the next question: Gas vs electric. Obviously electric would be best, and I'd love to go that route, but it means more cutting on the keg, installing elements, etc. I'm currently brewing beer and whatnot in an urn with a 2,500W element and it takes while to get going, but it's also not too bad. However, I'd love to go a bit larger, perhaps up to 4kW on the element. That'll still allow me to run if off a regular home plug, which is great, and it'll speed up the heating phase.

I can go with gas with the keg as-is, but I'll have to buy a gas burner for that, either mounted to a table-style stand, or I'll have to build one. I'll also need a gas regulator and pipe, and the lot of that will cost around R700 on it's own (yes, I checked). So it's not like it's free either. I currently run my small still on a 2-plate gas stove, but it's not going to hold the weight of a 50l still when full. Not at all. That thing will break. So electric makes more sense here now as well.

However, that means I'll have to get temperature control. With the gas I can turn it down and run the still nice and slow during the spirit run, but electric is harder. That has me thinking - PID or voltage controller? I see some controllers being sold with thermocouplers and stuff that can handle up to 40A apparently, but I have NO IDEA how these thing work, at all. So I'd like some guidance. My hands aren't round so if I can just get someone to point me in the right direction I can build something, but I don't even know what to buy...

EDIT: Can I just buy something like this: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/5022...t_AC_220V.html
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 2021/02/25 at 08:17 AM.

OK I found a plumbing place that said they'll build me the stuff I need (reducers and so on) on the cheap. So they said they can build me a 2" to 28mm reducer with all fittings and stuff for under R100, so that's a bargain.

Regarding the ferrule - I found copper ferrules already. Soldering a 2" copper column to that should be pretty simple (actually looking forward to that).

So the next question: Gas vs electric. Obviously electric would be best, and I'd love to go that route, but it means more cutting on the keg, installing elements, etc. I'm currently brewing beer and whatnot in an urn with a 2,500W element and it takes while to get going, but it's also not too bad. However, I'd love to go a bit larger, perhaps up to 4kW on the element. That'll still allow me to run if off a regular home plug, which is great, and it'll speed up the heating phase.

I can go with gas with the keg as-is, but I'll have to buy a gas burner for that, either mounted to a table-style stand, or I'll have to build one. I'll also need a gas regulator and pipe, and the lot of that will cost around R700 on it's own (yes, I checked). So it's not like it's free either. I currently run my small still on a 2-plate gas stove, but it's not going to hold the weight of a 50l still when full. Not at all. That thing will break. So electric makes more sense here now as well.

However, that means I'll have to get temperature control. With the gas I can turn it down and run the still nice and slow during the spirit run, but electric is harder. That has me thinking - PID or voltage controller? I see some controllers being sold with thermocouplers and stuff that can handle up to 40A apparently, but I have NO IDEA how these thing work, at all. So I'd like some guidance. My hands aren't round so if I can just get someone to point me in the right direction I can build something, but I don't even know what to buy...

EDIT: Can I just buy something like this: https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/5022...t_AC_220V.html
    There you go, you already answered your own question.
    Yes you could go the PID route but you don't have to, if you are happy to use a rotary controller like you have found it does the same job, just that you have to be more involved.
    I personally feel a PID takes all the enjoyment out of the process.
    The obvious downside with gas is that it does increase the "dangers" when compared to electric.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

OK, so that's sorted. Next question:

How the hell does one fit a geyser element to the keg without a big-ass hole cut in the top to get your hands in? I have a 1" hole saw which is great and all, but it seems like the geyser elements are bigger, AND they require a threaded hole. So, how does one make that magic work? I would prefer not having to cut a big-ass hole in the keg and then have someone weld it up, because $$.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozXNfqcsMt4&t=540s

Thats how George did it, without any welding (but the thread cutter he used must be worth a pretty penny).
    Your best bet would be to get somebody to cut the necessary hole and weld in a fitting for you, yes it might cost a couple of bucks but long term it will be your best solution.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast