Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Home distilled

Default Re: Home distilled

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Why copper tubing, condensors etc? Why not glass? I would have thought that glass distillation equipment would be much easier to obtain. And a glassblower can do any spec requirements for a unique setup.

What is the chemical interaction with copper that is essential to the process?
    Copper removes sulphur and other nasties and is a very good antibacterial metal.

Glass is good and it is used but rather fragile.

Condensers take the alcohol vapour and reduce that back to a liquid.

Thumpers are another method to bring an additional distilling process but is not as effective as a second distillation run.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/03/04 at 04:26 PM.

Some excellent information on this site about home brewing, recipies, distilling, general, etc.

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Eg: In the rare and unforseen case of an accidental ignition or flashback of the alcohol vapour, it could lead to the explosion of a glass thumper, with glass shrapnel flying around. Hence glass thumpers are generally frowned apon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210304_160213.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	408.0 KB 
ID:	608215
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/03/04 at 04:44 PM.

Luckliy touch wood, i have never had one break on me or someone i made one for.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Some excellent information on this site about home brewing, recipies, distilling, general, etc.

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Eg:

Name:	20210304_160213.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	408.0 KB 
ID:	608215
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

Edited my post above with a bit of an explanation.

Have to agree, the chances of an "explosion" are probably extremely low and rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post

Thumpers are another method to bring an additional distilling process but is not as effective as a second distillation run.
    I like the idea to do a 2nd distillation run. However, I have been told that it is ideal to always have your still 70-90% full (not sure if this is correct). I have a 33L still and most cases get about 2-2.5L of good stuff after starting with 25+L (just less than 10% yield). I run until about 40% ABV and then stop. If I want to go for a 2nd distillation run, would it be ok to start with only the 2.5L good stuff – I can only imagine that the yield will be a lot less. How does one do it?

Thanks and kind regards
    Edwin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
    Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    VW Touareg 3.0 Blue Motion – 2011 (Swambo’s)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
    Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
    ARB Bullbar, Airsprings - Rear
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

This is how I do it in my Pot Still:

Strip Run Procedure (18l, 10.25% ABV):

• Add cleared wash to still.
    • Do not add Feints, do a separate Feints only run.
    • Expect first drops at 86.0ºC.
    • Turn down heat.
    • Collect 200ml of Foreshots and discard. (86.0ºC - 90.0ºC)
    • Turn up heat at around 90.0ºC (After Foreshots)
    • Collect all Heads, Hearts and Tails, from (90.0ºC - 97.0ºC or 20% ABV)
    • Expect 4.250l of spirits at about 45% ABV per 18l of 10.25% ABV wash.

Gold Spirit Run Procedure (9.5l, 40% ABV, from 2 x 18l Strip Runs) XXX:

• Dilute strip run spirits to 40% ABV, if necessary.
    • Expect first drops at around 78.0ºC.
    • Collect and discard first 50ml or so.
    • Collect Heads, Hearts and Tails into 400ml bottles.
    • Do not go to far into tails (96.5ºC, 25% ABV)
    • Expect 25% Heads, 40% Hearts and 35% Tails.
    • Keep Hearts cuts from 80% ABV to 74% ABV.
    • Expect 12 x 400ml bottles, 3 x Heads, 5 x Hearts, 4 x Tails
    • Add left over heads and tails to Feints Keg.
    • Usable Spirits Yield: 2.0l at 75% ABV, 3.75l at 40% ABV.
    • Decant into 5 bottles of 750ml at 40% ABV

Feints Run Procedure (40% ABV):

• Dilute Feints spirits to 40% ABV, if necessary.
    • Expect first drops at around 78.0ºC.
    • Collect and discard first 50ml or so.
    • Collect Heads, Hearts and Tails into 400ml bottles.
    • Keep cuts from 80% ABV to 74% ABV.
    • Expect 40% Heads, 40% Hearts and 20% Tails down to 65% ABV (90.0ºC)
    • Keep last 40% of heads and add to Feints Keg. Discard first 60% of Heads.
    • Run Tails no lower than 65% ABV (90.0ºC) and add to Feints Keg.
    • Discard Feints leftover in still.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/03/04 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep001 View Post
    I like the idea to do a 2nd distillation run. However, I have been told that it is ideal to always have your still 70-90% full (not sure if this is correct). I have a 33L still and most cases get about 2-2.5L of good stuff after starting with 25+L (just less than 10% yield). I run until about 40% ABV and then stop. If I want to go for a 2nd distillation run, would it be ok to start with only the 2.5L good stuff – I can only imagine that the yield will be a lot less. How does one do it?

Thanks and kind regards
    Edwin
    However, I have been told that it is ideal to always have your still 70-90% full (not sure if this is correct). No, I do not believe this is correct, it should make minimal difference.

I have a 33L still and most cases get about 2-2.5L of good stuff after starting with 25+L (just less than 10% yield). I run until about 40% ABV and then stop. Sounds like a mix of a strip run and a spirit run, 40% is to low (late) for a spirit run and to high (early) for a strip run. What is the original ABV of the wash ?

If I want to go for a 2nd distillation run, would it be ok to start with only the 2.5L good stuff – I can only imagine that the yield will be a lot less. How does one do it? Yes, just dilute to 40% ABV. You should never run you still with anything over 40% ABV in it.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/03/04 at 06:54 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Searcher I do not use temperature as the control variable for a still. An azeotrope has a mind of it own and the boiling point of the mixture moves during the course of the run as you well know.

I use the distillate stream size as the control variable and control this via adjusting the power to the still. This allows the wash to boil off at it own pace while allowing me to adjust the volume output.

Are you controlling temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Searcher I do not use temperature as the control variable for a still. An azeotrope has a mind of it own and the boiling point of the mixture moves during the course of the run as you well know.

I use the distillate stream size as the control variable and control this via adjusting the power to the still. This allows the wash to boil off at it own pace while allowing me to adjust the volume output.

Are you controlling temperature?
    Searcher I do not use temperature as the control variable for a still. An azeotrope has a mind of it own and the boiling point of the mixture moves during the course of the run as you well know. The temperature references are quite accurate, but totally dependent on the starting ABV of the wash or low wines in the pot. That is why I use only two starting ABV standards. Strip run wash 10.25% ABV (Starting SG of 1.080) and then the spirit run or feints run, always at the standard 40% ABV.

I use the distillate stream size as the control variable and control this via adjusting the power to the still. This allows the wash to boil off at it own pace while allowing me to adjust the volume output. Strip runs I run flat out. Spirit runs I run at a slow steady thin stream, any slower and it begins to drip.

Are you controlling temperature? Not controlling, just watching. I control the heat to control the rate of distillation.

I make my cuts based to smell and taste and somewhat on ABV. To make heads, hearts and tails calls or even cuts based on ABV and temperature is meaningless if you don't know the starting ABV of the wash or low wines to begin with.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/03/04 at 09:30 PM.

I don't give a crap about ABV or temperatures. I go on flavour alone.

EDIT: I have to add that I always have a thermometer running on my still. I know what my still does at what temperatures by now, so it helps. Set the alarm for 55°C and I know when I hit it, I have to switch off heat or it'll puke. Wait 5~10 minutes, add heat again, and when I hit 50 second time round turn heat to lowest and let it slowly rise to 78. Then I can turn it up a bit and I can strip without puking.
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 2021/03/04 at 08:52 PM.

Every distiller should understand this chart:

Name:	ABV vs Temp Graph.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	608259
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/03/04 at 08:52 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

EDIT: I have to add that I always have a thermometer running on my still. I know what my still does at what temperatures by now, so it helps. Set the alarm for 55°C and I know when I hit it, I have to switch off heat or it'll puke. Wait 5~10 minutes, add heat again, and when I hit 50 second time round turn heat to lowest and let it slowly rise to 78. Then I can turn it up a bit and I can strip without puking.
    Something weird going on there. No reason for your still to puke at 55°C, unless you have a lot of Acetone which boils around 56°C, next up is Methanol at around 64°C.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

A puke will only happen if the still is filled too much and boiled too quickly. If you leave enough headspace you should never have a puke.
    The column width can play a factor but it can be overcome by enough headspace.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Yep. I have to add it's a 10l pot, to the MAX, so when I fill it with something like 7l of all grain mash, it foams up too much and then pukes. So I overcame that (replacing the still now) by simply turning down the heat once it gets too high in the column, allowing all CO2 to escape, and allowing it to settle a bit. Doing that again a few minutes later seems to eliminate the puking with that boiling volume.

The point I was trying to make though, is that a thermometer is incredibly useful, I learned to read my still by the thermometer. I never used it to make cuts though. Sometimes I'd pull nice flavours all the way up to a certain temperature and with the next run I'll cut off a lot sooner. It just happens. I cut purely on taste.

When i have to work and SWAMBO sends me pics.

Reflux Water temp

Steam temp

Flow rate

%

Name:	IMG_20210305_072907_368.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	608282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210305_072904_153.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	608283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210305_072855_069.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	608285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210305_072900_928.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	608286

Nice!
    No way I could get swambo to sit and watch the still for me.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Something for nothing chaps.

Copper bits that see lower temperatures than the column. Clean them up real good, wipe with a clean lint free cloth and spray with clear lacquer. This keeps them shiny and good.

Need to do mine this weekend if I get time.

This is a nice long run from a 25% abv mash.
    She's doing a strip run straight through the gin basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    However, I have been told that it is ideal to always have your still 70-90% full (not sure if this is correct). No, I do not believe this is correct, it should make minimal difference.

I have a 33L still and most cases get about 2-2.5L of good stuff after starting with 25+L (just less than 10% yield). I run until about 40% ABV and then stop. Sounds like a mix of a strip run and a spirit run, 40% is to low (late) for a spirit run and to high (early) for a strip run. What is the original ABV of the wash ?

If I want to go for a 2nd distillation run, would it be ok to start with only the 2.5L good stuff – I can only imagine that the yield will be a lot less. How does one do it? Yes, just dilute to 40% ABV. You should never run you still with anything over 40% ABV in it.
    Hi Searcher, thanks for your feedback and advice. It means that I had only stopped at the “stripping run” thinking that the volume was too small do a 2nd run (spirit run).
    I did the “stripping run” last week-end and stopped at about 36% - it’s still in the still. I am going to heat it up again this afternoon and strip further until 20% (as suggest ed in an earlier post). Then tomorrow I am going to chuck the heads, hearts and tails (foreshots already removed), reduce to 40% and do a rerun (spirit run) (mash is from yellow peaches).
    On a previous run I made Gin. The spit run ended up in about 65% (avge). When diluting it to 41% (by adding distilled water) it became “cloudy”. I did this jar-by-jar (first jar was 83% ABV). The gin had beautiful flavours but the cloudy-ness reminded me of “dish washing water. Any advice of how I can avoid this.

Thanks and kind regards Edwin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
    Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    VW Touareg 3.0 Blue Motion – 2011 (Swambo’s)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
    Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
    ARB Bullbar, Airsprings - Rear
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep001 View Post
    Hi Searcher, thanks for your feedback and advice. It means that I had only stopped at the “stripping run” thinking that the volume was too small do a 2nd run (spirit run).
    I did the “stripping run” last week-end and stopped at about 36% - it’s still in the still. I am going to heat it up again this afternoon and strip further until 20% (as suggest ed in an earlier post). Then tomorrow I am going to chuck the heads, hearts and tails (foreshots already removed), reduce to 40% and do a rerun (spirit run) (mash is from yellow peaches).
    On a previous run I made Gin. The spit run ended up in about 65% (avge). When diluting it to 41% (by adding distilled water) it became “cloudy”. I did this jar-by-jar (first jar was 83% ABV). The gin had beautiful flavours but the cloudy-ness reminded me of “dish washing water. Any advice of how I can avoid this.

Thanks and kind regards Edwin
    Don't drop your ABV below 43% to avoid going cloudy.
    If you have some fusel oils in your distillate when you add water to proof down thats where the cloudyness comes in, but usually if you stay above 43% thats more than safe to prevent it.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast