Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: How are all you Vaalies who are off grid doing?

Today my best yield YTD. Also the peak value of 88% of PV Watts of the panels. Yield of 5.99kW/kW installed. One of those gr8 days in Gauteng.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Same for me on the Coast, ELS. 53.264 kwh from 10kw. 5.33kwh/kw. Can't get close to your 6kwh/kw. I do have 2 array's tho. East (3.7kw) and North-west(6.3kw) facing. Also have decent amount of clipping on the micro-inverters (Blue).
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 10.07.16 PM.png
Views: 345
Size:  123.3 KB

Interesting to see ur values. Also good going for the coast. I only have a single series string. A further NO NO is 4 different makes and poly and mono. At the times I bought panels I battled to get stock of the smaller 270W panels.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/10/04 at 06:38 AM.

Yeah, hopefully get some more sun hours as the days get longer. Have a huge hill close by that shades the house.
    Yeah, I am running 4 Strings.
    1. 410W Poly 3S 2P
    2. 410W Poly 3S 1P
    3. 410W Poly 5S 1P
    4. 410W Poly 5S 1P

and then I have 5x Enphase Micro inverters on 445W Mono panels.

Last year I only had the East Array installed. The north-west has help to keep the days longer giving batteries a better chance of getting through the night.

My best day so far 46 kWh (8.5kW system total with 2 arrays, east and west). You can see how I was export limited at 5kW.

Last edited by boerbok; 2021/10/08 at 08:43 AM.
    Hans

2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

And the rain gave the panels a nice wash last night, they look all shiny again.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Hi all I need your expert advise on my battery usage.
    I have the below setup at my home

When it was installed the company who installed it said my SOC should always be at 65% unless I hear that there is going to be load shedding, then the SOC should be changed to 80% to help through load shedding.
    With my SOC at 65% my batteries are being used until about 20h00 every night and then I start using Eskom.
    My question is should I lower the SOC and use more battery every night to save on Eskom costs or will this effect the life of the batteries.
    With cost of these batteries I would like them to last as long as possible.
    PS; Everything in my house runs of the system except the stove. I have a solar geyser and all my lights are LED

Victron MultiPlus - II, Victron Colour Control,
    1 x LiFePro - 5.1kw 100Ah battery
    1 x LiFePro - 6.4kw 125Ah battery
    12 x 395w PV panels
    Victron MPPT 150/60
    Last edited by dickr; 2021/10/08 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dickr View Post
    Hi all I need your expert advise on my battery usage.
    I have the below setup at my home

When it was installed the company who installed it said my SOC should always be at 65% unless I hear that there is going to be load shedding, then the SOC should be changed to 80% to help through load shedding.
    With my SOC at 65% my batteries are being used until about 20h00 every night and then I start using Eskom.
    My question is should I lower the SOC and use more battery every night to save on Eskom costs or will this effect the life of the batteries.
    With cost of these batteries I would like them to last as long as possible.
    PS; Everything in my house runs of the system except the stove. I have a solar geyser and all my lights are LED

Victron MultiPlus - II, Victron Colour Control,
    1 x LiFePro - 5.1kw 100Ah battery
    1 x LiFePro - 6.4kw 125Ah battery
    12 x 395w PV panels
    Victron MPPT 150/60
    Use them I say.

I'm running at min SOC of 20%, max of 95%, cycled each night from about 10ish to 7am when I hit 20% SOC, removing those pesky yet costly 24/7/365 loads.

If there is LS, I know the Critical Loads will be kept going till the sun takes over.

Only trick I need to watch out for is bad weather the next day and LS after 5am.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I am having this system installed in August for my new house:

1 x7.2KW 48V KODAK Max Pure Sine Inverter - 3 year warranty
    *Powr Factor 1 - WiFi incl. dual MPPT

3 x5kwh PylonTech Li-Ion battery module - 10 year warranty

14 x380W JA/Solarworld PERCIUM Mono C

With installation R160K
    So how does that stack up to this quote? I've started to consider going off the grid yesterday when discussing my exorbitant electricity bill with a friend. My big headache is that my usage is 2000 kWh per month . How much would a solar geyser cut back on that? Many heaters in winter and a heat pump on the pool in summertime. My consideration is going totally off the grid, to also save the R700 pm service and what not charges and get a genny for supplement on cloudy days and excessive use. What do you guys think? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211018-205942_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	633389

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    So how does that stack up to this quote? I've started to consider going off the grid yesterday when discussing my exorbitant electricity bill with a friend. My big headache is that my usage is 2000 kWh per month . How much would a solar geyser cut back on that? Many heaters in winter and a heat pump on the pool in summertime. My consideration is going totally off the grid, to also save the R700 pm service and what not charges and get a genny for supplement on cloudy days and excessive use. What do you guys think? Click image for larger version. 

This doesn't seem like a bad system. It doesn't have enough battery to take you off-grid but will definitely reduce your grid usage a lot. Depending on your usage pattern but most houses that use 2000kwh per month will need around 40-60kwh of battery to be totally off grid all year round. You can of course try run your system and if you are successful then turn off the grid after winter ends.

I would ask for some discount on the inverter, that prices is a little high.

I personally would use Canadian Solar CS3W-410, we have had really good performance from them in cloudy/rainy weather and solid performance on sunny days better so than all the other panels we have tested even our 445W mono.
    https://www.canadiansolar.com/wp-con..._CS3W-P_EN.pdf

For that price, I would also switch to FreedomWon 20/16 or 2x 10/8, both would be very close on price but are a much better product with excellent warranty and support. Can be stacked over time if you want to expand.

If you have the roof space I would install 26/27 panels as they are cheaper if you buy a whole pallet which is 26/27 panels depending on make. The bigger the array the less you drain the batteries on bad days. Keep in mind that on a rainy day, you will only get 30% or less of the panels output.

Shading of the array is also important, if you have lots of shading or weird angled roof then you might want to get a SolarEdge or Enphase AC-PV and couple that to the inverter instead of DC and if that is the case then Victron might be a better option.

I don't see any installation costs, are you doing it yourself?

I am not sure off grid is the way to go. I have a very similar system installed to what you are proposing. 8KW Deye Hybrid inverter and lots of panels and a pair of Batteries. When the family is away I am very close to being off grid. When they are in town, and especially when we have guests, we start sucking a fiat bit from the grid.

I don't think solar geysers etc are worthwhile if you have enough panels. I have not touched my Geysers, but I did install the CBI ASI smart trip switches that allow me to sequence them. On a good day, I heat them all sequentially off grid.

We eat early, but even so, by 16h00 you are loosing major power. If you are cooking with gas less of an issue. We have an electric oven etc and it tends to suck a fair bit of power. Then your wife, will probably want to run the dishwasher at night. I keep trying to wait for morning, but this is another of the many battles I seem to loose.

In short, you will be able to drop your eskom bill significantly. You will be able to operate pretty close to normal when there are outages. I wired my garage as essential load so I can carry on using High pressure cleaners etc when the power is off, but you need to think pretty carefully about which circuits go on essential. (My son would run his AC all night given half a chance off batteries.) So think carefully about who will use essential circuits and if they will be responsible with your batteries if the sun is not shining.

I also wired my setup to accept a gennie input in the event we are down for days. Mine is not setup for a serious gennie, but just a small 2000watt inverter gennie that would keep fridges and feezers running and charge the batteries if needed for long duration downtimes.

I would go this route and then see how much your bill comes down and then decide. Fluffy et al have mentioned there is a big difference between being on solar and being off grid. That difference is probably expressed in at least another 200-300k on top of your bill and then you will still have the running costs of the Gennie to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Today my best yield YTD. Also the peak value of 88% of PV Watts of the panels. Yield of 5.99kW/kW installed. One of those gr8 days in Gauteng.
    My best solar day so far. 64.539kwh of yield from 10kw. 6.45kwh per kw installed. Finally broke the 6kwh/kw

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.23.57 AM.png
Views: 173
Size:  148.3 KB
    Last edited by shaneyake; 2021/10/21 at 06:26 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shaneyake For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shaneyake View Post
    My best solar day so far. 64.539kwh of yield from 10kw. 6.45kwh per kw installed. Finally broke the 6kwh/kw

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.23.57 AM.png
Views: 173
Size:  148.3 KB
    That was a great day for your system. Why does your house power drop every 10min between 8h and 12h?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    That was a great day for your system. Why does your house power drop every 10min between 8h and 12h?
    I am not completely sure but I think it is the MPPT's tracking algorithm scanning. Each drop looks like this.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.22.07 AM.png
Views: 164
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.25.33 AM.png
Size:  81.5 KB

The area that the drops actually take up is very small so I don't I am actually losing much energy because of it.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.29.34 AM.png
Views: 163
Size:  88.2 KB

The Garage which is using a Victron 450/100 doesn't do it but the Carport/House is using a 150/60 and 150/35 which both do it almost exactly every 10 mins.

I am not completely sure but I think it is the MPPT's tracking algorithm scanning. Each drop looks like this.

The area that the drops actually take up is very small so I don't I am actually losing much energy because of it.

The Garage which is using a Victron 450/100 doesn't do it but the Carport/House is using a 150/60 and 150/35 which both do it almost exactly every 10 mins.
    Thanks. Hopefully someone can explain it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.22.07 AM.png
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.25.33 AM.png
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.29.34 AM.png
Views: 163
Size:  88.2 KB

Hi Shane, you mentioned a while back you have: I have 3.6kw East Facing.
    I have 6.2kw North West facing.

Your curve looks so similar to mine its scary, except i peak at just over 3.1kw. I have: 1.68kw east and 2.1kw north facing, 3.6kw inverter, on a good day daily yield is around 22kw.

I forgot to change my system over from solar to grid last night, and just before 6h00 this morning the batteries ran out while the geyser was on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    I forgot to change my system over from solar to grid last night, and just before 6h00 this morning the batteries ran out while the geyser was on.
    You remain the efficiency champ with 6.4 Today and the last 7 days quite a bit of cloud.
    3/10 11/10 and 14/10 were my best days for October.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Why do you switch over manually rather than using the ICC software to do the switching?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post

Until you actually install a power meter and start doing a power audit everything is just one big thumb suck.
    I had my carlo gavazzi meter and my victron gx device in the DB taking readings for a while to determine my use and only then got batteries and inverter sized.
    Last edited by whatyamacallit; 2021/10/22 at 07:34 AM.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

23. The Following User Says Thank You to whatyamacallit For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast