Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Rubber duck trip down Orangeriver

Hi Toois ai am so so thankful you serviced and I praise God that everyone is safe.

If I may give uninvited advice and this is not aimed at minimizing your experience at all.

I have been on both sides of water tragedies and things are never clear cut.

I will first say that any member can abandon a trip at any time that you expected the tour leader to abandon the trip.

Further please allow the shock and horror of what you went through to calm down before making accusations.

I don't know either of you more than just on the forum and I have no skin in this.

Again I say I am so so very blessed you are all OK. Focus on that and on thanking God for seeing you through.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Look how quickly that poor girl drowned last month whilst tubing on the Orange river.....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Paddled the Orange in a K2 from Viooldrift to Oranjemund. (quit some time back)

Sambok rapid with normal levels is bit challenging, but in flood I doubt if you will even see.

I think the biggest challenge, with that river in flood,is to avoid those big eddies.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/02/22 at 07:07 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Paddled the Orange in a K2 from Viooldrift to Oranjemund. (quit some time back)

Sambok rapid with normal levels is bit challenging, but in flood I doubt if you will even see.

I think the biggest challenging with that river in flood is to avoid those big ellies.
    Johan we are not that old it was only 25 years ago.

.... eddies or ellies ?
    🤔
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    .... eddies or ellies ?
    🤔
    yes eddies
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/02/22 at 07:00 AM.
    Johan Kriel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Johan we are not that old it was only 25 years ago.
    Isch. Thats a life time.
    Johan Kriel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

There is a good reason why experienced tour operators do not take tourists down the flooded Orange.
    It's called being responsible and accountable.
    Experienced,well kitted out adventurers are obviously in another category.

Interesting story.

please excuse my ignorance, I have no idea of the size of the river down there, or the surrounding banks, but, why did you drift down for five hours?
    I would have thought the best option is to get out of the river as soon as possible in order to get back with the rest of the team?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    please excuse my ignorance, I have no idea of the size of the river down there, or the surrounding banks, but, why did you drift down for five hours?
    I would have thought the best option is to get out of the river as soon as possible in order to get back with the rest of the team?
    The Orange in flood in the Richtersveld is a fearsome beast, and there are very few escape routes as the river flows through a series of gorges. Once you're in the mainstream, there is little option open to you other than to go with the flow, stay on your back with your feet first to lessen the chances of injury, and try and stay alive until it spits you out.
    On a side issue - my understanding is that the entire transfrontier park area is a no-engine zone - how did the "operator" (if he can even vaguely be described as such) get clearance for engine use?
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

I am glad you made it ok.

I grew up rowing rivers with my dad and fishing the oceans with him in his Ski boat, in the last 23 years I have rowed the Orange 50 plus times, many times guiding a group.

There is now way you are getting me in a boat on the Orange when it is in flood.
    Last edited by Bex; 2021/02/22 at 12:20 PM.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Glad it turned out ok, seems like a very close shave indeed...

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Hi Toois ai am so so thankful you serviced and I praise God that everyone is safe.

If I may give uninvited advice and this is not aimed at minimizing your experience at all.

I will first say that any member can abandon a trip at any time that you expected the tour leader to abandon the trip.

Further please allow the shock and horror of what you went through to calm down before making accusations.

I don't know either of you more than just on the forum and I have no skin in this.

Again I say I am so so very blessed you are all OK. Focus on that and on thanking God for seeing you through.
    Thank you Mal Hannes,
    I can assure you that I am making no accusations through shock & horror.
    The mere fact that a qualified guide on the orange river suggested that Jan abandon the trip and was brushed off as "wat weet die klein snotkop" is the crucks of the matter.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tooi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    The Orange in flood in the Richtersveld is a fearsome beast, and there are very few escape routes as the river flows through a series of gorges. Once you're in the mainstream, there is little option open to you other than to go with the flow, stay on your back with your feet first to lessen the chances of injury, and try and stay alive until it spits you out.
    On a side issue - my understanding is that the entire transfrontier park area is a no-engine zone - how did the "operator" (if he can even vaguely be described as such) get clearance for engine use?
    Tony you are 100% correct.
    I tried many times to swim with the current to almost the main land just to be taken by another stream back to the middle of the river again.

Oom Tooi, so sorry you had to go through this trauma. But utterly grateful that you survived. Please make sure you work through the shock and process it completely.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/02/23 at 10:00 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post

“A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.”

Luka Geertsema

This is an epic story and you can be glad you survived to tell the tale. Most people are not so lucky - let it be a lesson to others.

I am a qualified and experienced river guide who guided many trips on the commercial section from Vioolsdrif down to Ausenkehr and further down to just past Gamkap rapid. When the water level on the Orange is at "high water" (Sjambok rapid is washed out), and even more so at the current flood level, the river becomes a different animal to the normal predictable and family friendly river people know. At high water levels, the waters edge is at the tree line and due to the continuous tree line and fast current its very difficult to find an open spot to beach the boat - and when you see an open spot that's big and safe enough to beach, it's too late - the current have pulled you past. If you capsize, and you become a swimmer, you are in trouble because you have to fight the current to get to the side and but also stay away from the trees - people getting caught in trees (referred to as "strainers") is a typical drowning scenario. Lastly, when things do go wrong, it goes wrong very very quickly and people and equipment becomes separated over long distances. It becomes a self rescue scenario and a case of every man for himself and hope for the best.

Tying boats together on a flooded river is a big no-no - getting into trouble is guaranteed.

On my bookshelf is the book Liquid Locomotive by John Long - the most epic stories relates to running rivers in flood. When the liquid locomotive takes you, there's no turning back...

Nomad

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nomadxc For This Useful Post:

From the book - The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin
    "The river got its own rhythm and you either dance to it or you don't. Whether you're a man or woman matters not because the river leads, and if you're stepping out of time, it's your fault because the river changes its beat for no one."

Inexperienced people have no right to lead these types of adventures particularly if it's not only your life at stake as an old canoeist once told me "You can't dance with the river unless you know the steps."

Angry Re: Rubber duck trip down Orangeriver

Inexperienced people have no right to lead these types of adventures particularly if it's not only your life at stake as an old canoeist once told me "You can't dance with the river unless you know the steps."[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more! Unscrupulous/under qualified operators could cause loss of life and consequently impact on legitimate people and businesses, which obviously and ultimately leads to loss of income, jobs, credibility/reputation etc. all the way from that area to the whole RSA tourism sector local and especially internationally which we need now like a hole in the head!

Piet du Toit, like all others contributing on this thread, I am so pleased you survived this ordeal. Thanks for posting, lessons to be learnt by all of us. Keep well!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast