Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 1025

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Ok, so in addition to believing my own bs, there is some truth (actually a lot) in what I believe. Not to mention space and weight savigsAttachment 608294
    Similar to what I did, but I have 100Ah both sides back in the Patrol...

    I load 2 fridges each one then has its own battery box fully kitted with BMS charger etc
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/03/06 at 04:35 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    60
    Posts
    462
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    This box is actually designed to be mobile and fit into multiple cars. Easy removable when not in use. The 120Ah runs 2 fridges with a smile. Does not eaven break a sweat. If set on refrigeration +2 it runs the fridges for 3 days easy. A lead acid won't get close to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Similar to what I did, but I have 100Ah both sides back in the Patrol...

    I load 2 fridges each one then has its own battery box fully kitted with BMS charger etc
    2002 Discovery td5

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Helderkruin
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,102
    Thanked: 550

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Nambro ek ken nie lithium batterye nie , kan jy my dalk se waar het jy die 120ah lithium battery gekoop en naam van battery asb.
    Ek gebruik lead acid batterye op oomblik.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    This box is actually designed to be mobile and fit into multiple cars. Easy removable when not in use. The 120Ah runs 2 fridges with a smile. Does not eaven break a sweat. If set on refrigeration +2 it runs the fridges for 3 days easy. A lead acid won't get close to that.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanked: 890

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I sure hope a lithium bank has an absorption phase, otherwise it is a dead duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post

    Lead acids wants TLC, slow and consistent amps, with a absorption phase that takes a very long time.
    VS
    Lithium's that absorb whatever you give them ito amps, the BMS regulating that and charge amps dropping off a cliff when nearing fully charged ... no absorption.
    A BMS controlling lithium's vs a BMV that lead acids banks don't tend to have.

    Thanks for the follow up post as I also read that the lithium has no absorption phase.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    64
    Posts
    19,155
    Thanked: 7617

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    This box is actually designed to be mobile and fit into multiple cars. Easy removable when not in use. The 120Ah runs 2 fridges with a smile. Does not eaven break a sweat. If set on refrigeration +2 it runs the fridges for 3 days easy. A lead acid won't get close to that.
    A lead acid will equal that, every day of the week. The clue is in the Ah rating.

    What the Lithium scores in weight and longevity, the Lead Acid scores in price.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  7. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 1025

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Fixed:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ......
    What the Lithium scores in SIZE, weight and longevity, the Lead Acid scores in price.
    LifePO4 have at least 2.5 x the volumetric energy density of LA

    Agreed maybe not so important in this particular thread, but makes a big difference in the back of a vehicle where space is limited
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/03/07 at 02:04 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:


  9. #47
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    64
    Posts
    19,155
    Thanked: 7617

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Fixed:



    LifePO4 have at least 2.5 x the volumetric energy density of LA

    Agreed maybe not so important in this particular thread, but makes a big difference in the back of a vehicle where space is limited
    Well yes and no. Depends on how much of a redneck you are. If you gonna practice being McGuiver, I would prefer to have a couple of big dirty lead acids bouncing around the back of the Cruiser, which you use to weld broken Land Rovers. If something goes wrong stop at the next small town and pick up a spare starter battery and carry on.

    If you are a fancy pancy with a SUV that looks like a Hospital Operating Theatre in the back, then you gonna prefer a small plastic high tech box that costs an arm and a leg. If it goes faulty you anyhow are gonna get on the SatPhone and ask for help, cause you cant tell the difference between a BMS Data Link and a CanBus Controller.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  11. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 1025

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Well yes and no. Depends on how much of a redneck you are. If you gonna practice being McGuiver, I would prefer to have a couple of big dirty lead acids bouncing around the back of the Cruiser, which you use to weld broken Land Rovers. If something goes wrong stop at the next small town and pick up a spare starter battery and carry on.

    If you are a fancy pancy with a SUV that looks like a Hospital Operating Theatre in the back, then you gonna prefer a small plastic high tech box that costs an arm and a leg. If it goes faulty you anyhow are gonna get on the SatPhone and ask for help, cause you cant tell the difference between a BMS Data Link and a CanBus Controller.
    Well said, in my case I am lucky to be in a position to build it myself.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:


  13. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    69
    Posts
    558
    Thanked: 105

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If you are a fancy pancy with a SUV that looks like a Hospital Operating Theatre in the back, then you gonna prefer a small plastic high tech box that costs an arm and a leg. If it goes faulty you anyhow are gonna get on the SatPhone and ask for help, cause you cant tell the difference between a BMS Data Link and a CanBus Controller.
    I reckon it's down to the cost difference between Li-ion and lead acid. (What is it at the moment??)
    When it gets down to Li-ion being only twice as costly then it's game over for lead acid.

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    60
    Posts
    462
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Ek bou dit self. Preis ingebou met dcdc charger, kabels plugs, fuses etc R14000.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Nambro ek ken nie lithium batterye nie , kan jy my dalk se waar het jy die 120ah lithium battery gekoop en naam van battery asb.
    Ek gebruik lead acid batterye op oomblik.
    2002 Discovery td5

  15. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    60
    Posts
    462
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Ja, if you get a 240 Ah lead Acid to match the LiFePo4 battery. Now the game changes completely, LFP wins on price, weight, space and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    A lead acid will equal that, every day of the week. The clue is in the Ah rating.

    What the Lithium scores in weight and longevity, the Lead Acid scores in price.
    2002 Discovery td5

  16. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanked: 890

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    When it gets down to Li-ion being only twice as costly then it's game over for lead acid.
    With so much R&D into batteries before this takes place we might find the FAR Better solid state battery taking over from both.

  17. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanked: 890

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Ek bou dit self. Preis ingebou met dcdc charger, kabels plugs, fuses etc R14000.00.
    As much as I smaak Lithium we have to see if they last the 8 to 10 years claimed. If the battery alone is say R11000 one can get great LA batteries for the bucks specially for this application where weight and space is not critically.

  18. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    870
    Thanked: 1156

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    I must say, I agree with Fluffy ito lead acids for camping, same train of thought as having lead acids for a UPS.

    The ONLY time lithium's make sense for camping:
    1) you have the spare cash i.e. HOBBY. But I must add, leaving any batteries inside a car parked daily in the sun ...
    OR
    You remove them from the vehicle after a camping trip and reuse them:

    2) in your house in a UPS i.e. a WANT, but at least you get more value for money.
    3) in your house cycling them daily to lower some of ones Eskom costs, i.e. a NEED, and recharging them daily using only solar power.

    ... option 3 is definitely not for everyone AND it goes far beyond the scope of this thread.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/03/08 at 09:43 AM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

    Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:


  20. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    60
    Posts
    462
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    The 10 year time has just been stated by an aussie. I think it was relion LFP batteries.
    What is interesting is the fact that on battery discussions everybody tells you what system is the best. Then you have 5 "systems" and after 4 days the specialists are busy with all sorts of actions to keep their batteries alive. LFP's are more expesive than Lead Acid but only on the short run. I am, no, I know LFP is way better. But I do not say that anybody must buy them. If you want the comfort, space and weight advantage, power assurance and can afford it, get it. If you are a diehard LA battery supporter stay with them. If it is a budget issue make a decision on facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    As much as I smaak Lithium we have to see if they last the 8 to 10 years claimed. If the battery alone is say R11000 one can get great LA batteries for the bucks specially for this application where weight and space is not critically.
    2002 Discovery td5

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    69
    Posts
    558
    Thanked: 105

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    With so much R&D into batteries before this takes place we might find the FAR Better solid state battery taking over from both.
    And what about the supercapacitor battery?
    See https://kilowattlabs.com/

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    60
    Posts
    462
    Thanked: 254

    Default Re: What batteries for a 5kva inverter/charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    And what about the supercapacitor battery?
    See https://kilowattlabs.com/
    Supercap batteries do not exist. What Kilowattlabs are selling are lithium titanate batteries. There is currently no way that a capacitor can be used for battery equivalent energy storage. Supercaps are used for the automotive industry ie. Regenerative braking creates power to be used when sudden power is required. This prolonges battery life. Buses use them to be charged at each stop to enable the bus to reach the next destination up to 5 min drive.
    2002 Discovery td5

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •