Private security guard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Private security guard

Good morning all

We have had a number of security incidents in our street, and unfortunately at our house recently. We are upgrading our security options and perimiter, though these all take time.

One of the short term options is to employ a security guard for our property at night. Unfortunately hiring one from a security company comes at an exorbitant cost (approximately R15,000 pm)

Does anyone have any experience with hiring and using a private guard at their home? We currently have armed response linked to our house so the idea would be to supply him with a remote panic button that would allow to set off the alarm if an incident occurred.
    Bruce

2010 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0D4D
    Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

Default Re: Private security guard

I think a better approach would be for you to get into contact with your immidiate neighbours to see if you can share the cost and benefit collectively.
    If you have the finances to foot the cost yourself, then all I can advise is to regularly check up on the guard, they tend to find hidden coners to sleep.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Check this out. Kinda like Uber for armed response. Closest armed response from any of the many contracted companies will respond to an event.
    https://www.secura.co.za/

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    I think a better approach would be for you to get into contact with your immidiate neighbours to see if you can share the cost and benefit collectively.
    If you have the finances to foot the cost yourself, then all I can advise is to regularly check up on the guard, they tend to find hidden coners to sleep.
    Unfortunately my neighbours aren't keen, though that would have been the ideal solution
    Bruce

Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Check this out. Kinda like Uber for armed response. Closest armed response from any of the many contracted companies will respond to an event.
    I'll look at it, thanks
    Bruce

Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

Just make sure he's registered with PSIRA. Otherwise you can open a world of problems if he's injured or killed during an incident. There are new rules coming for neighbourhood watches in the SAPS amendment act as well.

Instead of hiring guard look at the security companies on the area. Use the one that has quick average actual reaction time. It is quick to get beams/sensors installed outside. Those will give early warning. Finding out the average reaction time you will know how long you need to manage on your own.

The best security is to limit number of people coming to the property. Break ins are mainly inside jobs.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Instead of hiring guard look at the security companies on the area. Use the one that has quick average actual reaction time. It is quick to get beams/sensors installed outside. Those will give early warning. Finding out the average reaction time you will know how long you need to manage on your own.

The best security is to limit number of people coming to the property. Break ins are mainly inside jobs.
    I have outside beams and a security company that's very quick - usually 2-3mins response

I need to knock down a perimeter wall that will then leave my property open, hence wanting a guard
    Bruce

Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

10. The Following User Says Thank You to out of africa For This Useful Post:

I see from time to time jobs like this done. Often some form of a temporary fence is used for protection.

Bigger risk is the building team. When ever there is building work there tends to be break in. I lost couple bicycles from locked ZoZo hut in two separate break ins.

Quote Originally Posted by out of africa View Post
    I have outside beams and a security company that's very quick - usually 2-3mins response

I need to knock down a perimeter wall that will then leave my property open, hence wanting a guard
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

putting up a temporary (razor?) wire fence will be cheaper than a full time guard?
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

We only have our normal security company.

But what I do when I leave home for a weekend or a night when my wife and kids are home alone. I would find the closest patrol car, and give him a Tip, may it be a cooldrink, some supper, etc... They know me by know, they will park almost in my Driveway for their shift, and only move their car now and then when they need to. We know all of the patrol Drivers by name already.

Might not be what you looking for, but it works for us.

Why didn't you say it's temporary?

Of course your neighbour's wouldn't been keen on contributing towards your security while your wall has been knocked down.

Get more quotes on a guard and then hire one. Maybe guys in insurance can chime in, dont some policies have an allowance for this sort of thing ? Like of your wall.gets mowed down by a vehicle they will cover the cost of securing the premises while it is being rebuilt.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Also have a look at Namola

https://www.namola.com/

Very similar to Secura but it also offers "Private Medical' - basically access to ER24 ambulance.

Outsurance also offer a similar service for R17 p/m and you can add up to 4 family/friends.

https://www.outsurance.co.za/outsura...ic-assistance/
    Metalian Maxi

The best solution is to install a couple of cameras around your property and in your street and have them remotely monitored offsite.

If you already have cameras even better. Then you donít have this expense.

You can also connect all your neighbors cameras into the system and have a street monitoring project in place.

Anyone then who comes into the area will then be picked up by the analytics on the cameras and the alert will go though to the offsite monitoring company who will then process the threat and determine what action is needed.

You can install a loud speaker and the controller can inform the person that they are being watched and armed response is on there way.

This is the set up I have, highly affective and canít live with out it. All my cameras are monitored over night for activity.

Itís a fraction of the price of a guard and probably more affective as one.

If you want more info on the offsite monitoring company I use or my set up, DM me your number and I can explain it all to you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tekkie Tub For This Useful Post:

Iíd move...
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post
    Also have a look at Namola

https://www.namola.com/

Very similar to Secura but it also offers "Private Medical' - basically access to ER24 ambulance.

Outsurance also offer a similar service for R17 p/m and you can add up to 4 family/friends.

https://www.outsurance.co.za/outsura...ic-assistance/
    Yup, but sort of.

Secura offers medical too.
    The Namola product, well, I'll just keep quiet.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Ddsdcdx de ppj'.
    . Km xc
    Good morning all

We have had a number of security incidents in our street, and unfortunately at our house recently. We are upgrading our security options and perimiter, though these all take time.

One of the short term options is to employ a security guard for our property at night. Unfortunately hiring one from a security company comes at an exorbitant cost (approximately R15,000 pm)

Does anyone have any experience with hiring and using a private guard at their home? We currently have armed response linked to our house so the idea would be to supply him with a remote panic button that would allow to set off the alarm if an incident occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    Mark Harrison
    1995 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI
    2001 Land Rover Defender 90 TD5

Share your WiFi password with the security response team. Pretty soon theyíll be permanently parked outside your wall

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the replies

I already have a comprehensive security system, including outdoor sensors, analytic cameras, etc. The recent events have highlighted some gaps, which we are busy filling

I would still like some info / experiences on private security guards if anyone has. The general consensus from above is that it is not a good idea?
    Bruce

Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

Thanks for all the replies

I already have a comprehensive security system, including outdoor sensors, analytic cameras, etc. The recent events have highlighted some gaps, which we are busy filling

I would still like some info / experiences on private security guards if anyone has. The general consensus from above is that it is not a good idea?
    Think of it this way. You think a cost of R15 000 for a security guard at night is exorbitant. That guy has to be paid and the company has to make some money. That R15k works out to R500 a day. Would you prefer a minimum wage unregistered and untrained security guard with a cell phone with no airtime and no backup to call when something goes wrong? And for R500 a day you're not going to get a former Special Forces operator or moonlighting cop to guard your place.

I'm not surprised your neighbours aren't interested in contributing either. After all, it's your wall you're breaching for your own purposes. Maybe you should budget the guard into whatever you plan on doing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast