Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

Quote Originally Posted by Kleintjie View Post
    Please help me to understand the above, Was your bakkie out of the vehicles manufacturing km (I think its 120 000km if I'm correct) or did you go 450km past a service and they refused to replace it? Friend of mine had a ball joint failure on his S6 last week on 30 000km (is that not early) and they did not replace it under warranty, does a ball joint not fall under warranty claims?

My isuzu had a stabilizer link failure and they replaced it under warranty, why would manufactures differ from each other? Surely it also forms part of the front suspension components?

I wanted to buy a S4 4x4, but with service like that I will rather save up and buy my trusty old Isuzu then
    The warranty on the suspension is 50 000KM as per the warranty booklet, your friend should be refunded.

I was out of that warranty by 450KM i.e. 50450KM on the odo when I took the vehicle for service. Mahindra stated they agreed to honour the service plan, however they would not entertain a warranty claim under the same circumstances.

This will very likely be my last Mahindra. I like the vehicle, it does what I want and has been very reliable but Mahindra SA have no idea of excellent customer service or relations.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Hmm... Over here, the warranty on mine was 100,000 km's or 3 years whatever was first.

At around 4 years I took it in for a service, when I collected it they told me they had noticed a front shock absorber was leaking so they had replaced it under warranty.

Under warranty? I said, I'm out of the warranty period. The guy just shrugged and smiled, and said "we'll make it work".

I never knew how they "made it work", but anyhow, made me a loyal customer.

Cool Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

2020 - Pickup S10 Karoo 4x4 D/C

New - 30,000km

Purchase Experience
    Bought new from Mahindra East Rand Mall. R384k - Extended the service plan to 7years/130,000km to sweeten the deal. Smooth transaction all and all - vehicle delivered to my house on a Saturday within 5 days of signing the OTP

The Monday after delivery I took the vehicle out to the project, about a 700km road trip and really felt it pulling left, so much so that when you took your hand off the wheel, it would almost jerk to the left. I stopped at HiQ in Lydenberg and the manager said they had resolved this issue many times, especially on the 4x4's. Fixed it by adding shims and doing alignment - straight and true ever since - R550 excl.

Service Experience
    Mahindra East Rand Mall - the sales person told me on delivery that I needed to bring the vehicle in at 5,000km for its first checkup service. On arrival the service administrator told me that he miss informed me and the first service is only at 10,000km. Since I was there I bought a bonnet protector and asked them to fit is and also sort out the infotainment system fuel info issue.
    1. We have to drill holes in your body to fit the bonnet protector and the service technician is not comfortable doing that - RED lights started flashing and I stopped them immediately and fitted it myself with the clips provided when I got home.
    2. We don't have trained technicians on site to do the software upgrade
    That was my last dealings with Mahindra East Rand

BB Motors, Mahindra Menlyn - 10,000km service
    1. Sorted the software issue on the infotainment system free of charge during the service
    2. I mentioned the high wind noise from the front passenger side door - seems they just bent the door to fit more snug, did not resolve the issue
    3. Service administrator logged the first service at 10,000km as the 130,000km service, meaning the last one under the service plan, which resulted in some admin work when I took the vehicle for it's 30,000km service

Mahindra Centurion - 30,000km service
    1. Service administrator had to contact Mahindra SA to reset the service history logged incorrectly - took about an hour to get that sorted.
    2. Resolved the wind noise issue, straightened the door. Under the black plastic body panel behind the rear doors there is 2 holes in the bodywork, for no reason at all. The technician opened the liner, closed the holes with strong adhesive tape and the cabin is a much more pleasant place to be at higher speeds.
    I will stick with this dealership for the foreseeable future, very friendly and knowledgeable as it is a Mahindra Only Dealership

Main Use - Work Horse, but needed some luxuries Mainly project work, construction sites and mining project. Driving between and on projects, pulling trailers with equipment. The Karoo has taken this in its stride

Notable Likes:
    Good fuel consumption at highway speed and even town driving - average 11.4km/L
    Comfortable driving position, I'm 1.98m tall and like sitting high and make proper use of the high adjustable seat and there is still ample headroom
    Cabin is big enough to make you you feel cramped even with 5 adults in the vehicle.
    Decent infotainment system, Bluetooth phone connectivity has never given any issues - replaced the factory aerial with a longer Bee Sting aerial from Midas and the reception is 100 x better.
    Emergency lights (hazards) coming on automatically under hard braking - nice little feature, I like.

Notable Dislikes:
    Lack of a center console
    Lack of turning circle
    Stock tires - at 30,000km they start feeling a bit jumpy, I am a firm believer in balancing, alignment and rotation every 10,000km, trying to get the most our of them for now. However, will be replacing these before the next wet season.
    Rubber seals around the inside of the windows looks like an after thought and very poorly fitted.

Compared to the other "project vehicles" which includes, VW Transported 2.0 BiT 4motion DC, Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 Extended Cab and a Mazda BT 50 3.2 4x4 Extended Cab, all which cost second hand much more that a brand new Karoo, I'll pick the Mahindra every day of the week.

Best of all - Swambo even likes driving it over weekends

Fitted custom made seat covers and fitting a custom built cattle rail with canvas canopy tomorrow - both from Covering Africa (PM for details, I have confirmed with the owner that I can share his contact info when requested)

Will upload some picks once fitted

I don't love the Pickup, but I do like it a lot. Only time will tell how the relationship will turn out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Farla For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farla View Post
    Stock tires - at 30,000km they start feeling a bit jumpy
    Actually the stock tyres are rubbish.

I wanted to change my ones out for better ones but was waiting for them to wear out. But I'll hand it to them they last and last. But in the end I ran out of patience and threw them out even though only 1/2 worn and fitted some other tyres, the ride was transformed immediately.

In fact the ride was so much better with better tyres that I do wonder why Mahindra don't upgrade their stock tyres a bit and their vehicles will seem better to drive immediately, just with that simple change.

also 2020 s10 not karoo
    on day of purchase
    i was told to take it back at 5 000km or 6 months for oil change,this was eagle mahindra.
    as they are far from me i took it to west rand.
    engine,gear box and diff oil were changed,and been told, from that date started 20k or 1 year interval.
    Last edited by jadranko; 2021/07/06 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    Willem what year were these backies?

Also what do you mean by centre bearing? Centre bearing on the crankshaft?

And to get through a combined total of seven sets of shocks in 150,000 km's is amazing, wow you guys must drive hard. My one is now on 160,000 km's and still original shocks. I am off road a lot and carry heavy loads, but I'm careful how I drive.

However I guess you drove them the same as you drove the Toyotas so the comparison is interesting. How would the Toyota shocks have typically performed in a similar mileage?

Re being low to the ground, yes I noticed they are a little lower. For me though that's an advantage. I have to drive in some very hilly dangerous places and the lower center of gravity adds that little bit of safety, I have not rolled it yet. Plus I am loading and unloading heavy stuff all through the work day and that little bit lower makes it easier on my body.
    Sorry I am only replying now.
    The centre bearing on the drive shaft that goes to the rear diff completely disintegrated.
    The problem wasn't the shocks themselves, it was the bushes the bolts go through to attach the shocks they would wear out. The local Mahindra dealership started to use Teflon bushes manufactured by a local engineering shop to counter the problem.
    The shocks on the Toyota's we change every 100000kms.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willem81 For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3198.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	621932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3200.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	621933
    Farla (Ferdi & Carla)
    2008 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE
    2003 Pajero 3.2 GLS SWB
    2005 Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by Farla View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3198.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	621932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3200.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	621933
    Cattle rail fitted
    Farla (Ferdi & Carla)
    2008 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE
    2003 Pajero 3.2 GLS SWB
    2005 Audi A3 1.8T

After selling my S10 Karoo I can reflect back more objectively, I think:

The good:
    - Price.
    - performance is very good. The 6 speed works very well with the engine. Never had any desire for more power at any speed. Puts my current 3.0 D4D to shame..
    - consumption is great. I miss that.
    - rain sensing wipers and auto headlights were nice to haves
    - sound system is surprisingly good compared to more expensive offerings from other brands
    - I haven't towed very heavy loads and not long distance, but the little towing I did showed better performance than my current 3.0 D4D. More grunt low to mid.

The not so good:
    - Fit and finish on almost all panels and surfaces is barely acceptable. Lots of gaps and misalignment.
    - rust started to develop quickly, within the first 20k km in spots were panels were not aligned and scraped against each other and along rear window where the water got trapped between the glass and the rubber seals
    - lots of space in the second row leg wise, but seats are very uncomfortable. But that is to be expected from a bakkie with very rural underpinnings.
    - steering and front linkages very loose and noisy
    - lack of ESP or any other form of TC makes it less safe on road and robs the engineers from creating a good TC when locked in 4x4
    - automatically locking hubs were problematic

Conclusion after 50k km:

It was a lot of car for the money 3+ years ago. I am not so sure anymore.
    It does work stuff very well. Towing, carrying furniture or bricks in the back is what it's designed

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    After selling my S10 Karoo I can reflect back more objectively, I think:

The good:
    - Price.
    - performance is very good. The 6 speed works very well with the engine. Never had any desire for more power at any speed. Puts my current 3.0 D4D to shame..
    - consumption is great. I miss that.
    - rain sensing wipers and auto headlights were nice to haves
    - sound system is surprisingly good compared to more expensive offerings from other brands
    - I haven't towed very heavy loads and not long distance, but the little towing I did showed better performance than my current 3.0 D4D. More grunt low to mid.

The not so good:
    - Fit and finish on almost all panels and surfaces is barely acceptable. Lots of gaps and misalignment.
    - rust started to develop quickly, within the first 20k km in spots were panels were not aligned and scraped against each other and along rear window where the water got trapped between the glass and the rubber seals
    - lots of space in the second row leg wise, but seats are very uncomfortable. But that is to be expected from a bakkie with very rural underpinnings.
    - steering and front linkages very loose and noisy
    - lack of ESP or any other form of TC makes it less safe on road and robs the engineers from creating a good TC when locked in 4x4
    - automatically locking hubs were problematic

Conclusion after 50k km:

It was a lot of car for the money 3+ years ago. I am not so sure anymore.
    It does work stuff very well. Towing, carrying furniture or bricks in the back is what it's designed
    As a leisure vehicle, there are better options out there on the 2nd hand market.

It is true that you get what you pay for. When buying the Pik Up you are buying a great engine and a great gearbox. That's it. The rest is acceptable for the price.

I don't think I will buy a Mahindra again as a daily driver. Maybe a Thar one day, as a project car/toy.

BUT - it makes a lot of sense if you buy 2nd hand with warranty and some service plan left in the bag.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3