Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

Hmm, looking at that list I do recognise some of those I had some of the same in mine. (Not all though). However none of them I went back to the dealer about, I either fixed them myself or just lived with them. For example your nudge bar is 1 cm more from the bumper on one side than the other. I had bullbars installed and they are more than 1 cm out one side from the other, however I chose to live with it purely because it is not obvious, and to me, doesn't affect anything functionally so doesn't matter.

I just accepted that it is a cheap vehicle, so you are not going to get a Rolls. Also I'm used to using ageing and sometimes faulty machinery so have developed something of a mechanical bent and don't mind or even notice the occasional running repair of something.

But if someone who demanded perfection had owned my vehicle, no doubt they could have assembled a list of complaints. I'm thinking that maybe not everyone is suited to own a Mahindra, they may not work for a certain personality. However Llewellyn I am sure your feedback will be of value to Mahindra, they do need to be aware of issues, in order to fix them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwi 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn33 View Post
    Hi,My experience with my Mahindra S10 4x4 2020 ( NEW ) has been everything but good. So far I have done 20000Km and will never purchase ANY Mahindra again!The Mahindra was purchased from BB Menlyn Mahindra (where I was asked when am I going to stop complaining). Have a look at the list below......... I have even added my complaint to HELLOPETER.Problems I have had from the first day off the show room floor, a lot of the problems have been repaired but I'm still having more and more problems.1. The navigation system volume is set very high and I have tried to set the volume lower with no luck. 2. The navigation system is 2 years out dated. This is the latest version available to our market. 3. Car Info: fuel info not correct as the vehicle stays at 30Km per L and then goes to 7Km per L. The information system resets itself back to 30Km/l.4. information system : WiFi will not enable. This function only applies to the Indian market.5. front wheels push against the front bumper if the steering wheel is locked to the left or right.6. the right rear top "mudflap" is coming loose / not fastened properly. This has been rectified by the dealer.7. nudge bar not installed correctly. the left side is 1cm from the bumper and the right is 2cm from the bumper.8. the plate on the driver's floor by the door is not fastened properly.9. front mud flaps loose - glued by the dealer.10. rubber lining not complete.11. 3rd gear grinds going into gear at times. 12. cannot hear people when driving 120Km per hour on the car kit. 13. Bluetooth keeps disconnecting while listening to music. 14. Bluetooth disconnects and you have to reconnect manually. 15. Front left speaker is crackling - needs to be replaced. "Dealer has placed an order for a new speaker" ( never arrived ). 16. The driver's window battled to close, and took about 6 times closing the window to close properly. 17. knocking sound from front suspension. Front stabilizer links were torqued according to spec in SOP. 18. when you switch on the brights the wipers also went on, this is intermittent. 19. load bay tail gate battles to close (I have taken the vehicle to Mahindra westrand and brackets by the locks was hit straight)20. drivers door panel keeps coming loose.21. 12v outlet will not keep a charger in place.22. cruse control has a bit of a jerk when slowing down or speeding up.23. Dashboard was scratched when the radio was removed for the serial number. Radio Was replaced.24. Clutch replaced at about 13500Km25. Vehicle cannot be properly aligned, a test was done where the alignment was done and a 30 min test drive then went back to have a look at the alignment and it was out again.26. Due to alignment all 4 tyres have to be replaced.27. Service intervals set to for the " Indian market " as per informant display.28. Gearbox leaking oil.This vehicle has been a pain in my @#$ from driving it off the show room floor. Now the vehicle has to go in again for a "Load alignment" and to have the gearbox leak fixed. So lets see what problems I get after the repairs.........My rating is a 2 / 10.
    As ek jy was sou ek koop gekanseleer het via die bank ek ook so iets oorgekom met n nuwe caravan na twee keer wat ek gaan kla het en caravan in ontvangs geneem het was alles nog soos dit was na bank gegaan en koop gekanseleer ek het elke sent terug gekry sterkte daar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    Hmm, looking at that list I do recognise some of those I had some of the same in mine. (Not all though). However none of them I went back to the dealer about, I either fixed them myself or just lived with them. For example your nudge bar is 1 cm more from the bumper on one side than the other. I had bullbars installed and they are more than 1 cm out one side from the other, however I chose to live with it purely because it is not obvious, and to me, doesn't affect anything functionally so doesn't matter.

I just accepted that it is a cheap vehicle, so you are not going to get a Rolls. Also I'm used to using ageing and sometimes faulty machinery so have developed something of a mechanical bent and don't mind or even notice the occasional running repair of something.

But if someone who demanded perfection had owned my vehicle, no doubt they could have assembled a list of complaints. I'm thinking that maybe not everyone is suited to own a Mahindra, they may not work for a certain personality. However Llewellyn I am sure your feedback will be of value to Mahindra, they do need to be aware of issues, in order to fix them.

I agree and trust me I have gone as far as getting the cell number for the CEO of Mahindra. Mahindra have been in the loop from the beginning, for a R400000 vehicle I expect it to work and not give as many problems as this #^[email protected]% Mahindra has given me so far. So far a few people have heard my complaints and after telling them everything they told me that they will not purchase any Mahindra. This was their own choice, I never forced them at all. I had a Ford Ranger before this and it also gave me problems from breaking leaf springs to heat soak where I could not drive faster than 110Km/h on the highway. If Mahindra cannot fix this then I will be going to the Bank and cancelling the deal.

The vehicle needs to go in on Wednesday for:
    1. Load alignment.
    2. Gearbox leak.
    3. All 4 tyres must be replaced due to the alignment.

So lets see how long this is going to take?

What is load alignment and how do they do that?

Mine is a 2020 S11 Auto.

Problem with the engine light coming on and vehicle going into limp mode. Has happened twice in three weeks under different driving conditions. After switching off and restarting the vehicle the engine warning light goes off and power is restored. Took it into dealer who has no clue what is wrong and can't determine the fault code either.

Apparently this is a problem being experienced by many S11 owners across the country.

Don't think Mahindra themselves know what the issue is.

What is load alignment and how do they do that?
    What I was told is that the vehicle is put on a machine that shakes the vehicle, the suspension is loosened and load added to the vehicle. in doing this the suspension moves into place where they tighten and align the vehicle. I hope this fixes the alignment, if not ill be calling the bank to cancel the deal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Llewellyn33 For This Useful Post:

Hmm interesting, I never heard of that. Sounds like a good idea though.

Mine has a load on nearly all the time, so when I get the wheels aligned I get it done while there is an average type load on.

And yes, the tires that come with Mahindras are not good. I switched mine out for some muddies which generally do not give the best of rides, yet the quality of the ride improved quite noticeably.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2021/05/02 at 05:01 AM.

Hmm interesting, I never heard of that. Sounds like a good idea though.

Mine has a load on nearly all the time, so when I get the wheels aligned I get it done while there is an average type load on.

And yes, the tires that come with Mahindras are not good. I switched mine out for some muddies which generally do not give the best of rides, yet the quality of the ride improved quite noticeably.

So I have the Mahindra back and have found out that the suspension was set for the Indian market and not the South African Market and the nose has been lifted more. The Mahindra drives better but needs to go back to have the steering wheel level and not pointing to the right. Now for a 4x4 test this weekend.

So I have the Mahindra back and have found out that the suspension was set for the Indian market and not the South African Market and the nose has been lifted more. The Mahindra drives better but needs to go back to have the steering wheel level and not pointing to the right. Now for a 4x4 test this weekend.
    Glad to hear. I have come to accept some of the little niggles I found in my Pik up - as I have said many time before, I bought the bakkie for its engine and gearbox reliability. I am under no illusion that the fit and finish should match the one of a ranger or Hilux which cost double (at the time of my purchase). For some people looking for the premium feel a second hand Japanese brand bakkie makes more sense. I beat the crap out of mine, a nice Hilux would be wasted on me.
    Last edited by Schambies; 2021/05/07 at 10:30 AM.

Now for a 4x4 test this weekend.
    Hopefully you will enjoy. My one really comes into it's own in the mud. Toyota Landcruisers are very popular over here and I have had to bear quite a bit of ribbing from cruiser owners who turn their nose up at my low tech Indian cheapy.

However I had the great pleasure of pulling a cruiser out of the mud a while back, and in the process noticed that my vehicle could go where the cruiser could not.

With me behind the wheel that is. I've had mine for 7 years now and my job takes me off road almost every day, this has enabled me to get a great understanding of the vehicle. If you know it's strengths and weaknesses you can do great things with it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwi 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

Hi and thanks all for the interesting thread.
    I have a 6 month old Mahindra s6 Karoo d/c 4x4 which has now travelled 19800 km's on highway, irigation farm tracks to pump houses, river crossings, up wet grassy banks with tree roots, rock and shale and it has performed almost flawlessly compared to nearly every 4x4 vehicle I have driven over the last 40 years. I am very pleasantly surprised. I'm reminded of my series 3 109" 6 cylinder wagon and my Defender 110 td5 county to drive. Just way more pactical and comfortable. It's most definitely a long term prospect. The only things that bother me on odd occasion are the turning orbit(by no means a circle), the irritating stop/start feature which I have learnt to switch of by habit on start up, and limited stowage in the front of the cabin. Has anybody fired a centre roof console yet? Oh, and the hands free mic is to far back for clear comms.
    I have also changed the main high beam bulbs to Philip's Halogen Extreme Vision 130+ bulbs. The difference is significant with a white and longer projection. If anything, this is a worthwhile investment on our African roads in low light . I'd also like to fit a removable towhitch at some stage and use a rated Ironman removable recovery point.
    I've also noted a very slight frictional noise from the clutch from handover.
    Does anyone have a used canvas canopy and stock rails for this vehicle?
    Very happy so far and love driving the Karoo, my bru'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Hi all,

I have been browsing and trying my best to contribute to this forum both as a visitor and a member for a number of years.
    Once in a while I run into questions about Mahindra; is it reliable? Capable off-road? What is the build-quality like? Comfort?

After some thinking and some spare time at work I thought I would share some of my experience with Mahindra and more specifically the Pik-Up bakkie.

Model: 2018 Pik-Up, 4x4, S10
    KMs: 33'000km
    Bought: New (fully spec'd)
    Price: 320'000 (+/- 250k after trade-in)
    Fuel Economy
    : between 8l and 9l per 100km. Less than 8l/100km when hitting highways at geriatric speeds
    Stock tyres: sh**, I suggest replacing them as soon as you take delivery, I didn't (had to save some cash)

I will try my best to keep things brief and simple.

Purchase experience with one of the main CT dealers: Bad. I was disappointed with the way I was treated and the time it took them to address payment, delivery, registration and initial fixes

Service experience with another Mahindra dealer in the CT area: Great. Very communicative service department. 5/5 service. I never had to follow up with anything. Services and repair were carried out fast and with a professional attitude towards the customer and the vehicle.

*PM me if you need more info on the dealerships

Why the Pik-Up:
    Service plan + Price = tasty

What I use it for: Daily driver (school,shops,work,walking dogs) + Camping (carrying 3 children and a wife), Taking dogs walking (in the bush), Off-roading at least once a month, Carrying soil tools and other miscellaneous heavy and dirty objects (Lots of gardening and house renovations)

What I like about the Pik-Up: Spacious cabin for 5 people, great headroom, cloth seats (just personal, but I am not a fan of leather seats), auto headlamps, auto wipers, decent stereo unit and bluetooth integration, folding armrests for driver and passenger, LOUD hoot, great a/c front and rear, middle seatbelt

What I don't like: Lots of plastic, bad fit and finish in some areas, when driving at speeds there is little noise insulation, rear passengers have limited visibility of the outside, lack of traction control and rear (curtain) airbags, small rearview mirror

Engine: Feels more powerful than the numbers suggest. Never wished for more torque.
    Transmission: Great although agricultural at times (not the smoothest shifts), that 6th gear is a life-saver

What went wrong: Speedometer read way over (common issue with pik-ups, somewhat fixed under warranty), right front hub/bearing (water entered the hub and clogged it with debris, fixed under warranty) - I should mention that the 4x4 did not engage at one point but it was due to the mechanic at mahindra not doing a good job when fixing the hub and bearing the first time.

Overall experience with Mahindra and specific vehicle: 8/10.

Conclusion: I needed something utalitarian, a good service plan and warranty, well-priced, 4x4. I am satisfied with it

Interested to know what you think or what your experience has been with your vehicle

Attachment 603713
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericl View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the informative comments. And from my experience with Mahindra you have it spot on with your review.

We have 2 Mahindras in the family, one is a Bolero S/C 4x2 that my wife drives. The other is a Thar.

We bought the Bolero new going on 7 years ago for her horse riding activities and she loves it. It a very basic vehicle indeed, but affordable to buy, affordable to maintain, relative okay on fuel (around 10l/100km), and perfect for all the horsey stuff. And it tows a horse box like a treat. :-) My wife loves it to death and wont trade it for anything .... well, except for the Thar which she likes a lot too now suddenly.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a Thar. This after loving the vehicle for a long long time....

In both cases our buying experience was a good one. Especially the latest one for the Thar. The deal was done through Mahindra Heidelberg and it was an absolute pleasure. They even delivered the vehicle to me in Benoni when it was ready.

On the service side, originally when we bought the Bolero we had a few little issues with it that were sorted by the dealership workshop with no problems at all. So a good experience was had there too. The Thar I have owned for only about 6 weeks so haven't had to do any service work on it as yet.

In general, I am happy with both vehicles. Yes, they are basic, their finish is a bit agricultural, but that's the nature of these vehicles and in some ways the attraction I have to them. I migrated to the Thar from a Suzuki Jimny and the difference is stark on the interior especially, but I have no regrets whatsoever so far.

Eric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    https://tfltruck.com/2019/08/mahindra-pik-up-review/ - I wrote this for TFL Truck a while back, some more thoughts on the vehicle
    The start stop feature has been found to be annoying by the majority of New Zealand drivers, the dealer has found a way to disable it.

Angry Re: Mahindra Pik-Up / An owner's honest review

So after all my problems the S10 4x4 is still not fixed and looks like Mahindra cannot fix the the alignment (keeps pulling to the left). I have no choice but to take this to the finance house to push to have the vehicle replaced. I have never had so many problems with a vehicle, all I wanted was a vehicle that works and I know there will be a few problems but having over 30 problems inc my clutch replaced at about 13000Km and now the leaf springs at 22000Km. My personal choice but ill never own a Mahindra after this one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Llewellyn33 For This Useful Post:

So after all my problems the S10 4x4 is still not fixed and looks like Mahindra cannot fix the the alignment (keeps pulling to the left). I have no choice but to take this to the finance house to push to have the vehicle replaced. I have never had so many problems with a vehicle, all I wanted was a vehicle that works and I know there will be a few problems but having over 30 problems inc my clutch replaced at about 13000Km and now the leaf springs at 22000Km. My personal choice but ill never own a Mahindra after this one.
    Sorry to hear Llewllyn. I have had a number of issues with mine as well - I now believe it has something to do with the assembly of the vehicle being done in SA. I don't think they have the QA procedures up to scratch. I have had a few moments of doubt at times and thought about selling it, but I have not found any alternative for a similar price still under service plan and warranty. The most obvious things have been replaced or fixed under warranty and I believe the car I drive now is better than the one that came out the factory. I know it's strengths and weaknesses now, and I treat it accordingly.

My 2c: hopefully you will not lose any money by dealing with the financing process. A wise man on this forum always says "Replace your vehicle when the monthly cost of ownership has surpassed the cost of monthly financing a new car" and it's hard to reach that number when the car is under warranty and service plan. But again, I don't know how your financing works and what your alternatives are

I don't think these issues are because of shoddy South African assembly. Over here in New Zealand we have the Indian assembled ones and there are similar issues.

Over here the warranty is 100,000 km's, so not much to worry about through that. Me, I didn't have much to claim on, but others have. I do think the vehicles are a bit "rough shod" compared to many others.

However I also think it's a bit unrealistic for someone to buy a vehicle at a third of the cost of a different backie, but expect the same performance.

Mine now has around 160,000 km's on it, it has the odd annoying niggle but essentially still drives sweet as when it was new, and I like and enjoy the feel of it. I'm 65 years old and probably going to retire when I'm about 70. I bought my Mahindra brand new 7 years ago, and hoping to get another 5 out of it so it will get me through to retirement. They are supposedly good to about 350,000 km's, so I should be retired inside of that.

I will miss it when it's gone. Might get a Thar as a more family friendly option will still let me get in the mud, which I enjoy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwi 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

I see there is a Mahindra up for sale at webuycars, 385 000 km, that is impressive kilos.

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/3A1680893
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

I don't think these issues are because of shoddy South African assembly. Over here in New Zealand we have the Indian assembled ones and there are similar issues.

Over here the warranty is 100,000 km's, so not much to worry about through that. Me, I didn't have much to claim on, but others have. I do think the vehicles are a bit "rough shod" compared to many others.

However I also think it's a bit unrealistic for someone to buy a vehicle at a third of the cost of a different backie, but expect the same performance.

Mine now has around 160,000 km's on it, it has the odd annoying niggle but essentially still drives sweet as when it was new, and I like and enjoy the feel of it. I'm 65 years old and probably going to retire when I'm about 70. I bought my Mahindra brand new 7 years ago, and hoping to get another 5 out of it so it will get me through to retirement. They are supposedly good to about 350,000 km's, so I should be retired inside of that.

I will miss it when it's gone. Might get a Thar as a more family friendly option will still let me get in the mud, which I enjoy
    I will keep mine for sure. It's one of those vehicles that should be run as far as possible. Fast depreciation, a good warranty/service plan and affordable parts make it a long term vehicle, at least imo. And you are 100% right, 1/3 the price needs 1/3 the level of expectations. So far, it has met 4/5 of my expectations. I feel bad buying expensive cars, I don't treat them well. The Mahindra takes a beating well and scratches don't keep me up at night.

Although I agree with you, the bakkie is only part of the equation. Mahindra SA disappointed me tremendously when they refused to replace the shock mount bushings 450 odd KM out of warranty even when they themselves gave me the go-ahead to service it over the stipulated mileage.

I tried to escalate the matter but got a whole lot of silence from them. Such a pity because I really like my vehicle but won't replace it with another one. My vehicle has now developed a boost leak but I dread taking it in in fear of getting another excuse as to why it cannot be fixed under warranty.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by JCMostert View Post
    I see there is a Mahindra up for sale at webuycars, 385 000 km, that is impressive kilos.

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/3A1680893
    Yeah, quite a few commercial ones out there with high mileage. Mahindra engines are pretty much bullet proof. They are based on excellent European designs but they are down-tuned severely. Especially older models, made very little power.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Although I agree with you, the bakkie is only part of the equation. Mahindra SA disappointed me tremendously when they refused to replace the shock mount bushings 450 odd KM out of warranty even when they themselves gave me the go-ahead to service it over the stipulated mileage.

I tried to escalate the matter but got a whole lot of silence from them. Such a pity because I really like my vehicle but won't replace it with another one. My vehicle has now developed a boost leak but I dread taking it in in fear of getting another excuse as to why it cannot be fixed under warranty.

Please help me to understand the above, Was your bakkie out of the vehicles manufacturing km (I think its 120 000km if I'm correct) or did you go 450km past a service and they refused to replace it? Friend of mine had a ball joint failure on his S6 last week on 30 000km (is that not early) and they did not replace it under warranty, does a ball joint not fall under warranty claims?

My isuzu had a stabilizer link failure and they replaced it under warranty, why would manufactures differ from each other? Surely it also forms part of the front suspension components?

I wanted to buy a S4 4x4, but with service like that I will rather save up and buy my trusty old Isuzu then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast