Question Moremi advice please

Planning to do 8 nights in Moremi & Savuti in late July 2022.

Any advice on which camps to choose and how much time to spend there would be appreciated. We will not be travelling with any children and game viewing takes priority over comforts.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Moremi advice please

2 - 3 nights South Gate.

Rest at Third Bridge. Take a day trip to Xakanaka, Paradise pools, Dead tree island, etc.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I agree that 3rd Bridge is an excellent base for Moremi, you could stay 2 or 3 nights there, then a night (maybe 2) at Khwai, then the rest at Savuti.

3 nights 3rd Bridge, 3 night Khwai (or Magotha in Khwai Community), 2 nights in Savuti. As far as game viewing is concerned, I think Savuti is overrated compared to the other two.
    Last edited by Mike N; 2021/01/28 at 07:53 AM.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Oops, I missed the part about Savuti completely. But for only 8 nights in total I would not even bother with Savuti anyway.

I did not recommend Moremi North gate due to the baboon problem. It is a fantastic area however.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/28 at 07:57 AM.
    Christa

Just a question - why do most of you prefer Third Bridge over Xakanaxa?
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Personally I much prefer the Xakanaka area. Always have.

However, Xakanaka is in my opinion the absolutely worst run campsite in Moremi. Third Bridge is run like clock work.
    Christa

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Oops, I missed the part about Savuti completely. But for only 8 nights in total I would not even bother with Savuti anyway.

I did not recommend Moremi North gate due to the baboon problem. It is a fantastic area however.
    Hi Christa the baboon problem is worst at North Gate but both Third Bridge and Xakanaxa have a similar problem.

Ps the monkeys are also a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Hi Christa the baboon problem is worst at North Gate but both Third Bridge and Xakanaxa have a similar problem
    Twenty years odd years ago when we were still living in Botswana and visited Moremi often, Third Bridge had the bad rap for baboons and we never camped there. We always camped at North gate and Xakanaka.

But with our most recent trip (albeit 3 years ago) we did not have a single baboon or monkey at Third Bridge. At Xakanaka they were bad because the camp management dumps rubbish in the remnants of the old ablution block. The baboons frequent the old ablution block.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/28 at 01:40 PM.
    Christa

Position. From 3rd Bridge you can roam a large area, then different large area from Khwai. Xaka is sort of in between, roam area overlap with both 3rd and Khwai, but limited for furthest reaches of their areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Just a question - why do most of you prefer Third Bridge over Xakanaxa?
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Agree with what has mostly been said here.

1) Give yourself minimum an extra day at South gate to be able to explore the Black pools area properly, we saw all of our best sightings in the few hours we had there. we left Moremi wishing we could go back to Black Pools.

2) Base yourself at 3rd bridge like others have said, its more central to getting to different areas.

We really enjoyed both 3rd bridge and Xakanaxa camps, had no complaints about either.
    2 big male lions in camp on our last morning at Xakanaxa was special.

3rd Bridge, as others note, is well-positioned to explore the area in all directions. Also, although this may have changed, if you ask about the fixed tents they are (or were) priced so that they're the same price as a campsite, and it's good to have the facilities.

I think that it's worth a stay at Savuti - it's a different environment, and in my experience is very good for wildlife. Savuti camp has a lot of mongoose, which can get into your vehicle, as can mice, so look out for them. Haven't had much of a problem with baboons, although you do have to be careful and not leave food about.

Just a note. The operator often combines groups on a single camp at 3rd bridge if touring group are small - say 1 vehicle - which is sometimes our status. Don't know about u but this is not great for us.

The Xaka camps are not well planned and management hopeless - In 2019 at least - so double bookings and ### prevails!

Both camps have great touring and game viewing possibilities. We stayed in both. Actual camp choice is fairly important though for the evening braai at least!

Just some notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    3 nights 3rd Bridge, 3 night Khwai (or Magotha in Khwai Community), 2 nights in Savuti. As far as game viewing is concerned, I think Savuti is overrated compared to the other two.
    Mmmhhh Mike. Savuti is awesome. I wouldn’t trade any campsite to give away Savuti. This is the place I have seen Cheetahs, wild dogs, lions and leopard in a day. Game drives it’s about what time you wake up and if you familiar with the area.

Yes, Third bridge is super. But I would say, compared to Xakanaxa, they offer different game viewing. If you have been around Paradise pools around sunset, you will agree. You can’t do that area at sunset from Third bridge due to time to drive back.
    So dividing and staying 2 nights each would be great, if time let.

I agree with Pat, I would divide my time between Third Bridge, Xakanaxa and Savuti. Would definitely not consider leaving out Savuti, but such are opinions, they will differ.

I have never stayed at any of the community camps in the Khwai area so cannot comment on those. Like others I do not particularly like the Khwai campsite within Moremi, baboons, facilities etc. The Khwai area is beautiful though and can be reached from Xakanaxa.

The Black Pools area and Xini Lagoon can be visited when driving via South Gate on the way to Third Bridge, lovely too. I would therefore not stay at South Gate unless I had extra days available.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/01/29 at 09:45 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I also agree that Savuti is can't miss item. True is that for first timer Moremi or Chobe Riverfront might be easier to spot game while Savuti requires some knowledge on "where" and "when" as Pat said.
    Savuti is also more seasonal and in my opinion is best between april and early june where vegetation is still green. Plus, you might come across the grazers migrating from south to north doing a stopover in Savuti before going further.
    Back in may 2018, after turning around a bush I found myself in the Marabou pan surrounded by what I've estimated could have been 1'000 or 2'000 of zebras, wilderbeests, springbocks, warthogs, jackals, giraffes, kudus, some elephants, buffalos, you name it. It has been the most amazing sight i've had to date. A truly unforgettable experience.
    August 2019 was a completely different story, the severe drought affected game viewing in Savuti, but not far away from the waterhole in Marabou, a pride of lions lied there under a tree guarding their killed giraffe and didn't move for like 2-3 days.
    No, Savuti is definitely not a place I would miss, not even in drier season, although I can understand those who would prefer to skip it if we are already in august or september...
    Savuti really fits the say "this is africa, you never know what's behind the corner"
    Last edited by Nambots; 2021/01/29 at 09:13 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambots For This Useful Post: