Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Overland Cape Town to Cairo

Hi thanks for this forum and the 4x4 community - we have been conceptually planning our trip through Africa (East Africa) to leave in mid April 2021 and plan to spend 3 weeks in North Western Namibia then heading north via Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan , Egypt are there any trip reports or guidelines that anyone could recommend - we have enjoyed the advice given to 2 nonblondes - (unfortunately can't get on to their blog). MY wife has UK passport and i have SA passport. We don't have any tight deadlines but are weary of COVID protocols and also now feel unsure about travelling through Europe. Also am trying to find out about Ferries between Alexandria and Italy. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Default Re: Overland Cape Town to Cairo

Quote Originally Posted by barry13 View Post
    Hi thanks for this forum and the 4x4 community - we have been conceptually planning our trip through Africa (East Africa) to leave in mid April 2021 and plan to spend 3 weeks in North Western Namibia then heading north via Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan , Egypt are there any trip reports or guidelines that anyone could recommend - we have enjoyed the advice given to 2 nonblondes - (unfortunately can't get on to their blog). MY wife has UK passport and i have SA passport. We don't have any tight deadlines but are weary of COVID protocols and also now feel unsure about travelling through Europe. Also am trying to find out about Ferries between Alexandria and Italy. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
    Hi Barry

Here's the link to the blog you refer to. (username is now Jeleze)

https://www.followtheaardvark.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LCamper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by barry13 View Post
    Welcome to the world of serious overlanding, Barry. Karibuni!

There is so much information on this forum on exactly what you are planning: you might just have to dig a bit deep. For instance, there is your own fellow countryman, Stan Weakley, who drove in 2015-2016 from East London to Sudan. We have also posted our trip reports from our 2013-2014 trip from the UK to Cape Town (and back to Kenya) through all the countries you are asking about: those trip reports are in each country or region section on this forum.

There have been no ferries from Alexandria to Italy for about 10 or more years. It involves shipping the vehicle either RORO or in a container across the Mediterranean. From the most recent accounts (pre-Covid-19) this is a pretty tortuous procedure. But it was possible with time and patience in the pre-COVID world.

Best wishes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

You might try the Horizon's Unlimited forum for Egypt info. It's more motorcycling oriented, but also more global and you may find more up to date info on shipping there: https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/north-africa/

Also the Facebook Overlanding Africa group, lots of up to date info there.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

See this current blog of German overlanders. https://travelsouthbound.de/
    The translate button works very well.

Plus there is a link on the above blog to another overlanders’ blog: those people sat out six months in one place in Tanzania through a COVID lockdown.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Personally I would not do a prolonged East African trip until 2022, because of unpredictable Covid regulations and localized flareups, until vaccination is more common place and I myself had been vaccinated. If you are Covid weary now, I'd be concerned what might have to be tolerated by African overlanders on the road in these times.

My blog link from 2015, is below in my signature.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I echo the thought that things are not going to be great for another 6-9 months, or more in terms of the pandemic.

As plans evolve, happy to offer thoughts and suggestions. We're reasonably familiar with Southern, Central, Eastern, and North Africa, and have travelled a lot of your route, although we have never completed the bit between Kenya and Egypt. At this point I offer a link to our blog for our 2017 trip, Nairobi to Cape Town and back in a ten month trip - https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com .

re ferry to Europe, I hear that some have been shipping from Port Sudan to Europe, leaving out Egypt (and its high costs for transit carnet); I have heard of others who have shipped from Alexandria though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

I agree with Stan and Alan. It is not looking good for extended overlanding for the next year or so.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/01/28 at 01:28 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I believe the recommendation to postpone your trip is excellent advice. We too were due to do a seven month overland trip RSA / Botswana / Zimbabwe / Zambia / Malawi / Tanzania / Rwanda / Uganda / Kenya / Tanzania / Zambia / Zimbabwe / RSA from May to November 2021. We have postponed our trip to the same timeframe in 2022. Covid unease, vaccinations were the main drivers in our decision.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/27 at 12:13 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

I can echo the messages that suggest to postpone - if you can. As mentioned above the Overlanding Africa fb group has lots of information. With things changing all the time the info of people on the road as we speak is very valuable.

On that page you will find detailed information on Egypt, shipping in/out and the alternatives. I know because I wrote it, having lived there 2006-16 :-) Happy to answer any questions you may have. We did the trip in 2016, using lots of information from [mention]Stan Weakley [/mention]‘s website (many thanks again Stan). Although many things have changed since then many haven’t so still worthwhile to look at.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BasZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BasZ View Post
    I can echo the messages that suggest to postpone - if you can. As mentioned above the Overlanding Africa fb group has lots of information. With things changing all the time the info of people on the road as we speak is very valuable.

On that page you will find detailed information on Egypt, shipping in/out and the alternatives. I know because I wrote it, having lived there 2006-16 :-) Happy to answer any questions you may have. We did the trip in 2016, using lots of information from [mention]Stan Weakley [/mention]‘s website (many thanks again Stan). Although many things have changed since then many haven’t so still worthwhile to look at.
    I have never succeeded in getting on to the Facebook Overlanding Africa group despite requesting many times. But I’m not really on Facebook anyway: I only joined hoping to get on to the Overlanding Africa group.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I have never succeeded in getting on to the Facebook Overlanding Africa group despite requesting many times. But I’m not really on Facebook anyway: I only joined hoping to get on to the Overlanding Africa group.
    Not sure why you have had difficulties, I (of all people) was accepted as a member at first attempt a couple of years ago. Worth while trying again methinks. There is much you could contribute.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I too joined last month, received acceptance within 12 hours, found both the FB page and the forum very useful. Even with our limited overlanding knowledge we have been able to assist a few people.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/29 at 04:38 PM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

So, I thought I'd look at the Facebook Overlanding Africa group. I see that there are two - one has 2.4K members, the other has 7.2K members. Which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    So, I thought I'd look at the Facebook Overlanding Africa group. I see that there are two - one has 2.4K members, the other has 7.2K members. Which one is better?
    Hi Alan, the one I joined has 7.2k members. This is the one that allows you to access the Overlanding Africa Forum on the internet. I don't know anything about the second FB group you refer to.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/29 at 04:38 PM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi Alan, the one I joined has 7.2k members. This is the one that allows you to access the Overlanding Africa Forum on the internet. I don't know anything about the second FB group you refer to.
    Thanks, I'll try joining and see whether I'm accepted.

Hi WW, if you send me a message with your FB details I will arrange that you get in. Same applies for any other members seeking to get in. One of the perks of being moderator ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    A joker saw the popularity of the first group and started a second one It is indeed the >7k member one that you should join

Quote Originally Posted by BasZ View Post
    Hi WW, if you send me a message with your FB details I will arrange that you get in. Same applies for any other members seeking to get in. One of the perks of being moderator ;-)
    That’s kind, thank you. But I don’t think I’ll try again on Facebook until such time as we can get on the road again: although, even then, any trips we are likely to make will be within those countries we already know well.

Safari (virtual) njema!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

That’s a pity. I think you would find the discussions and information very interesting. By the looks of it you would have good contributions yourself!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast