Default LC 79 and Hilux fuel consumption

Hi guys, I'I'll post this on the Toyota section as well later, but thought to start here.
    I'm in the early stage of planning my trip in southern africa (mainly Botswana) for 2022 (or 2023, we'll see). After years using the same rental company and since this time is going to be epic with an 8 to 10 weeks trip, I've found the right company with the right vehicles and especially the right equipment and gears. Having said that, one technical issue got my attention which i'd like to share with you and maybe get a piece of advice.I have the choice between 2 LC 4.5 V8 79 Doublecab with a 200l double tank fuel.The first one is basically a bushcamper with a camper built on it and hardtop roof tent and you basically climb in your tent from inside the canopy or cab (whatever...).The second one would just have a classic alu-canopy and a standard rooftop tent on the roof rack.So my first question is, can we agree that the camper version is heavier than the second?Why this question? Well because on the quotation I got they state that the 200l tank may have a range of +/- 900km. While planning my trip I estimated the distances (rounded up to be on the safer side) in some stretches where I won't find any fuel at all, nor water, nor firewoods, no nothing.8 nights in CKGR entering from Xade gate coming from Ghanzi and out from Matswere to get to Rakops I've estimated 800km game drives included, no tar roads at all.8 nights in Moremi and Savuti from Maun to Kasane I've estimated 900km of which +/- 120 would be on tar, again game drives included.4 nights in Kubu island and Baines Baobab starting from Nata and ending in Maun I've estimated 700km of which 235 would be on tar.So as you can see, fuel consumption is an issue. My estimated Km are rounded up by about 10-20% maybe, but again, these are the km's I have to assume that I will drive.So my question to you is, is the statement of the rental company correct? Do I have to consider +/- 900 km of range having a 200L tank? Isn't that a bit exaggerated a consumption of 20l per 100km? I've used maybe 2-3 times low range gears with a Hilux 2.4 engine for short stretches of deep sands in Botswana considering multiple visits to Moremi, Savuti, Nxai, Makgadigadi salt pans, CKGR, you name it. 4x4H was always fine a part for a couple of time I had to use 4x4L. I think I've done maybe 20-40km in low range out of +/- 5'000km driven on dirt/sandy tracks in Botswana. Never had to use diff.lock, got stuck twice (once because I was trying to recover another vehicle, and in Savuti because by changing spur I bellied on the sand in the middle of the track and wouldn't have happened if I had lifted suspension. See, if the statement is correct, then I need do rethink the vehicle. First, the LC buschcamper would be out of question and I'd rather take the LC with the standard canopy where I could fit a second roof rack and place maybe 2 to 4 Jerry cans. Or, the last option would be to take another Hilux again. The company has an off-road version with lifted suspension, basic canopy or bushcamper, well equipped, and overall far better than the previous Hilux's I had. The Hilux has a 140l tank and I'd take 2 20l jerry cans (so 180l in total), but knowing almost by heart the Hilux, and its fuel consumption on dirt tracks, I'm not worried at all with the stretches listed above.It's not about money where the Hilux is cheaper and it would cost me less on fuel as well (I've calculated that out of 6'500 km I'd need to fuel the LC with the larger tank 7 times instead of 5 times with the Hilux and less litres, if the company statement is correct...), but it's about long range especially in places like CKGR where you can easily imagine how much heavier I am, considering all the water, firewood and food I need to carry. Yes, day after day you lose weight and become lighter which certainly reduces the fuel consumption. The point is that I would really love to rent a LC, but after that statement about the consumption, I feel unsure about it, and think that instead with the Hilux I would be on the safer side in terms of long range. I just can't take chances.
    The Hilux off road version they have are automatic, and although I'm not really enthusiast about it,...well...why not, after all automatic has its pro's, it is undeniably comfortable and actually and perhaps even better on sand.What do you think guys? Which vehicle should I take? But above everything, is it true what I've been told about the LC fuel consumption.Thank's a lot for your time, any advice and be safe.Cheers

Default Re: LC 79 and Hilux fuel consumption

I tour in a Land Cruiser and a thing I have learnt is that I hate watching my fuel guage instead of doing that one extra game drive if you know what I mean. So I carry fuel even if there is a chance I won't need it. The other thing I have also learnt is it never ceases to surprise me is how quickly that guage can drop while touring.

900km with 200l is not unrealistic in a Cruiser through the terrain you mentioned so if you are not willing to carry extra fuel but will be travelling that distance between fuel stops then I would suggest look at the Hilux rather.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    I tour in a Land Cruiser and a thing I have learnt is that I hate watching my fuel guage instead of doing that one extra game drive if you know what I mean. So I carry fuel even if there is a chance I won't need it. The other thing I have also learnt is it never ceases to surprise me is how quickly that guage can drop while touring.

900km with 200l is not unrealistic in a Cruiser through the terrain you mentioned so if you are not willing to carry extra fuel but will be travelling that distance between fuel stops then I would suggest look at the Hilux rather.

Thank's Gareth, you toally got my point. Your suggestion based on your own experience is very clear. Since I hate to watch that gauge as well and don't want to take chances (yes I may have exaggerated with the dinstances, but bether round up than realize that you miscalculated the Km...), I think I'll go with the Hilux.

Hi
    First off, I will always lean towards a Land Cruiser when driving in Africa. I do drive a Hilux for the record. I would definately not go with a camper. It does have a lot of advantages, but not me. Cruiser with canopy and rooftop tent would be my choice. They are better suited to offroad travel with a big load. They also have a bit more space. So comparing a hilux with a cruiser if both have the same layout, canopy and rooftop. I would take the cruiser and just take extra fuel to the point where I am comfortable with the range.

V8 Cruiser will be thisty in sand, to what point I cannot tell you. Don't be fooled. Once you take a Auto Hilux offroad, especially in the sand, that nice numbers go down the toilet very quick.

V8 Land Cruiser vs Hilux and the extra cost is two tanks of fuel..............I'll start saving that extra couple bucks. You know wich one I am going to take.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 GD6 DC 4x4
    '96 Hilux 2.4P DC 4x4 Bloutrein
    Echo 4 Trailer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloutrein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bloutrein View Post
    Hi
    First off, I will always lean towards a Land Cruiser when driving in Africa. I do drive a Hilux for the record. I would definately not go with a camper. It does have a lot of advantages, but not me. Cruiser with canopy and rooftop tent would be my choice. They are better suited to offroad travel with a big load. They also have a bit more space. So comparing a hilux with a cruiser if both have the same layout, canopy and rooftop. I would take the cruiser and just take extra fuel to the point where I am comfortable with the range.

V8 Cruiser will be thisty in sand, to what point I cannot tell you. Don't be fooled. Once you take a Auto Hilux offroad, especially in the sand, that nice numbers go down the toilet very quick.

V8 Land Cruiser vs Hilux and the extra cost is two tanks of fuel..............I'll start saving that extra couple bucks. You know wich one I am going to take.

Thank's Bloutrein, you actually raised an important issue I didn't think about. The Hilux would be automatic and on sand well...don't know, I can tell the consumption with the manual transmission, but automatic on sand could be a different story. Thank's for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambots View Post
    Hi guys, I'I'll post this on the Toyota section as well later, but thought to start here.
    I'm in the early stage of planning my trip in southern africa (mainly Botswana) for 2022 (or 2023, we'll see). After years using the same rental company and since this time is going to be epic with an 8 to 10 weeks trip, I've found the right company with the right vehicles and especially the right equipment and gears. Having said that, one technical issue got my attention which i'd like to share with you and maybe get a piece of advice.I have the choice between 2 LC 4.5 V8 79 Doublecab with a 200l double tank fuel.The first one is basically a bushcamper with a camper built on it and hardtop roof tent and you basically climb in your tent from inside the canopy or cab (whatever...).The second one would just have a classic alu-canopy and a standard rooftop tent on the roof rack.So my first question is, can we agree that the camper version is heavier than the second?Why this question? Well because on the quotation I got they state that the 200l tank may have a range of +/- 900km. While planning my trip I estimated the distances (rounded up to be on the safer side) in some stretches where I won't find any fuel at all, nor water, nor firewoods, no nothing.8 nights in CKGR entering from Xade gate coming from Ghanzi and out from Matswere to get to Rakops I've estimated 800km game drives included, no tar roads at all.8 nights in Moremi and Savuti from Maun to Kasane I've estimated 900km of which +/- 120 would be on tar, again game drives included.4 nights in Kubu island and Baines Baobab starting from Nata and ending in Maun I've estimated 700km of which 235 would be on tar.So as you can see, fuel consumption is an issue. My estimated Km are rounded up by about 10-20% maybe, but again, these are the km's I have to assume that I will drive.So my question to you is, is the statement of the rental company correct? Do I have to consider +/- 900 km of range having a 200L tank? Isn't that a bit exaggerated a consumption of 20l per 100km? I've used maybe 2-3 times low range gears with a Hilux 2.4 engine for short stretches of deep sands in Botswana considering multiple visits to Moremi, Savuti, Nxai, Makgadigadi salt pans, CKGR, you name it. 4x4H was always fine a part for a couple of time I had to use 4x4L. I think I've done maybe 20-40km in low range out of +/- 5'000km driven on dirt/sandy tracks in Botswana. Never had to use diff.lock, got stuck twice (once because I was trying to recover another vehicle, and in Savuti because by changing spur I bellied on the sand in the middle of the track and wouldn't have happened if I had lifted suspension. See, if the statement is correct, then I need do rethink the vehicle. First, the LC buschcamper would be out of question and I'd rather take the LC with the standard canopy where I could fit a second roof rack and place maybe 2 to 4 Jerry cans. Or, the last option would be to take another Hilux again. The company has an off-road version with lifted suspension, basic canopy or bushcamper, well equipped, and overall far better than the previous Hilux's I had. The Hilux has a 140l tank and I'd take 2 20l jerry cans (so 180l in total), but knowing almost by heart the Hilux, and its fuel consumption on dirt tracks, I'm not worried at all with the stretches listed above.It's not about money where the Hilux is cheaper and it would cost me less on fuel as well (I've calculated that out of 6'500 km I'd need to fuel the LC with the larger tank 7 times instead of 5 times with the Hilux and less litres, if the company statement is correct...), but it's about long range especially in places like CKGR where you can easily imagine how much heavier I am, considering all the water, firewood and food I need to carry. Yes, day after day you lose weight and become lighter which certainly reduces the fuel consumption. The point is that I would really love to rent a LC, but after that statement about the consumption, I feel unsure about it, and think that instead with the Hilux I would be on the safer side in terms of long range. I just can't take chances.
    The Hilux off road version they have are automatic, and although I'm not really enthusiast about it,...well...why not, after all automatic has its pro's, it is undeniably comfortable and actually and perhaps even better on sand.What do you think guys? Which vehicle should I take? But above everything, is it true what I've been told about the LC fuel consumption.Thank's a lot for your time, any advice and be safe.Cheers
    Hilux.

Those cruisers are meant for repetitive and continuous fleet "abuse", mostly.

For.your one time adventurer - surely, the hilux Will do for you. It will be cheaper on fuel and kinder to your back and nuts than the cruiser.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

I have a 79 4.2, not the V8 4.5, but from casual reading I don't think the fuel consumption for the V8 is much more. I think with 200 liters you'll have plenty of fuel for your ambitions. To get 900km you need at least 4.5km/liter, and I think you'll do quite a bit better than that. For the 4.2 I plan most of our stuff at 6km/liter, and we usually do a bit better than that, except maybe a LOT of soft sand, i.e. riverbeds in Namibia or something. But even though Moremi has plenty of soft sand, it's not like it's everywhere, plenty of time you'll be getting better economy.

We carry a 130 liters in the tank and 40 more in Jerries, so 170 total. We've done all of the trips you describe, though in the CKGR we didn't stay 8 nights, but I think we would have had enough fuel to as long as we weren't too aggressive on daily game drives.

We did do 8 nights in Moremi, from Kasane to Maun, and arrived in Maun with fuel to spare. We also did seven nights in the Serengeti/NCA, Bunda (Western Side) to Arusha and arrived in Arusha with fuel to spare.

I am biased, but I would go for the cruiser.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Forgive me for making the same comments here, as I made on another thread.

When the LC 76 V8 came out, everyone in the industry was falling over their feet to award it "Overlander of the Year". I suppose that now the LC 79 double cab would be the front-runner for those accolades. At the time, the then editor of SA 4x4, Grant Spolander, wrote an article on the LC 76 V8 and in that article, he suggested that actually it was not the overlander of the year. What he regarded as the best vehicle was in fact a 4x4 double cab bakkie.

I owned the older LC 76 4.2L and it was (and is) a wonderful vehicle. I put its solid reputation to the test and it passed with flying colours. I'm quite sure too, that the 79 double cab would be its equal, if not better. Yet in 2018 I sold my LC and purchased a Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 auto. I rigged it out for offroading and these are some of my personal opinions.

The Hilux is not as tough as the LC, but it is tough enough to go down Van Zyl's Pass and travel to the Khaudum (that deep sand on the entrance road from the north did not stop it for a moment). Just make sure the Hilux has the guards on each wheel that protect the CV-joint rubbers. It is much more comfortable and smoother to drive and I find that I'm arriving at my destinations far fresher than in the LC. The really surprising discovery is how comfortable it is to live out of a double cab bakkie than an SUV - significantly so. I know the OP talks about the LC 79 and of course it is also a double cab, but I wanted to mention the ease and convenience of use.

And then we get to economy. A friend and I toured Zimbabwe in 2017, he in a Ford Ranger 3.2L and me in my LC 4.2L 76. I was crying at the fuel pumps and during that trip my diesel bill was R5,000 more than his - and let me tell you, the Ranger 3.2L is not light on fuel for a bakkie. The Hilux is significantly lighter on fuel and is cheaper to run than the LC. I have the standard fuel tank on my Hilux, plus a 67L extra tank and there are no worries about game drives on safari for me. It has a wonderful range.

Perhaps Grant Spolander was right after all and the 4x4 double cab is the "Overlander of the Year"?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ysterhout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ysterhout View Post
    The Hilux is not as tough as the LC, but it is tough enough to go down Van Zyl's Pass and travel to the Khaudum (that deep sand on the entrance road from the north did not stop it for a moment).

It is much more comfortable and smoother to drive and I find that I'm arriving at my destinations far fresher than in the LC.

And then we get to economy. The Hilux is significantly lighter on fuel and is cheaper to run than the LC.

Snipped out text to highlight the above 3 points. And that's what matters.

Hilux will do pretty much what the cruiser can do, its much more comfortable and it's mo4e economic on diesel.

Who needs the cruiser?
    Last edited by byaru1; 2021/01/26 at 02:05 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Thank's guys for all your valuable feedbacks. It has been a joy reading you.
    Truth is that I just love the LC, I'd love to drive one, that truck has something...its appeal its...well don't really know what it is. I will rent it sooner or later.
    But not this time, not for this journey. This journey is too epic and too big to fail. If there is anything I've learned over the years in overlanding, is know where you're going, know your surroundings and always picture the worst case scenario.
    Fuel consumption is a to big issue to risk with car I don't know, compared to a car I know by heart.
    Up until now, I've always rentend a fully equipped 2.4 Hilux with no snorkel or lifted suspension and a part what I stated above on my thread, did the Van Zyl's pass as well.
    Truth is that in 2019 I've started from Maun, went down to Khumaga, then to Tree Island, further to Gweta, down to Kubu and up to Nata. My fuel consumption was 90l.
    Form Kasane, down to Savuti for 2 nights, Khwai 1 night, 2 at Third bridge and Maun (game drives included), my fuel consumption was 100-110l. And that gives me the confidence I need, and the long range I need. Plus, what could the LC do more than what the Hilux has done so far in my tours?
    So Hilux will be.
    Again thank's to all of you and if you have any other comment please go on. The more opinions I get, the more I learn.