Default Everest tailgate lock issue

The tailgate lock on my 2016 Everest is acting strange. Sometimes it won't release although I can hear the electronics inside making some sound, sometimes the car tells me the rear is open although it is physically closed.
    Any known issue with the lock? Any ideas how to tackle this pproblem?
    Neil

Default Re: Everest tailgate lock issue

If you don't mind me adding to your thread mate....

Mine (4 month old Limited Bi-Turbo), keeps opening the tailgate after you've closed it. It'll keep doing this for a while and it's driving me crazy....and no, nothing is in the way or even remotely close to the locking mechanism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    If you don't mind me adding to your thread mate....

Mine (4 month old Limited Bi-Turbo), keeps opening the tailgate after you've closed it. It'll keep doing this for a while and it's driving me crazy....and no, nothing is in the way or even remotely close to the locking mechanism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    At least yours open, I struggle to get mine open and it is getting worse, and apparently the lock mechanism is very expensive.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    At least yours open, I struggle to get mine open and it is getting worse, and apparently the lock mechanism is very expensive.
    Booked mine into Ford for attention this week. Let's see how it pans out.
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Booked mine into Ford for attention this week. Let's see how it pans out.
    Please let me know what the outcome was.
    I bought the Everest from Neil - so the problem is mine.
    Regards
    Anton Botes

2016 Ford Everest 3.2 XLT
    Invader Quatro

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    The tailgate lock on my 2016 Everest is acting strange. Sometimes it won't release although I can hear the electronics inside making some sound, sometimes the car tells me the rear is open although it is physically closed.
    Any known issue with the lock? Any ideas how to tackle this pproblem?
    Hi all,

Does any one have an update on this issue, I have a similar issue. liftgate will try to open, but the lock mechanism doesn't properly release, and occasionally, most times lately remains locked until the next day, even when the car tells me the liftgate is ajar.

I have found disconnecting one of the connections, I think it's one of the two HV connections that connects to the second lot of fuses beneath the main fuses on the bonnet. Anyway disconnecting for around for 30 seconds seems to cause a reset and the liftgate pops open.

I'm tempted to replace the locking mechanism in the liftgate, but not certain this will actually solve anything, and they appear to be rather costly.

Quote Originally Posted by OzSeptember View Post
    Hi all,

Does any one have an update on this issue, I have a similar issue. liftgate will try to open, but the lock mechanism doesn't properly release, and occasionally, most times lately remains locked until the next day, even when the car tells me the liftgate is ajar.

I have found disconnecting one of the connections, I think it's one of the two HV connections that connects to the second lot of fuses beneath the main fuses on the bonnet. Anyway disconnecting for around for 30 seconds seems to cause a reset and the liftgate pops open.

I'm tempted to replace the locking mechanism in the liftgate, but not certain this will actually solve anything, and they appear to be rather costly.
    Hi All

Same happening with me on my 2017 Everest XLT.....2x weeks after my warranty is over ... boot doesn't want to unlock. I checked and 12v power is going to the actuator connector when using remote....but boot only u locks once per day...sort of.

I spoke to Ford and they confirmed there is no known issue or recurring issues with the boot locking mechanism/actuator.

Been charging my battery to see if it's the current to the actuator but still no luck.

Did fine a lot of dust when I opened the cover...all entered via the boot switch area and could have affected the actuator.

Anyone found a solution yet?

Hi all, our 2017 XLT is having the exact same problem with the tailgate lock (unlocks without actually unlocking, battles to close sometimes, etc.). Any pointers as to what the solution might be would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi.

I managed to find the cause of the problem. Solution though was Ford Garage supplying me a replacement lock mechanism (actuator part number FK7AN442A66AB) out of warranty at no charge. Fortunately I had a history of issues with the boot alignment since I bought the vehicle brand new. Most XT/XLT boots are out of alignment as built in PTA, the factory had to realign mine originally, the imported Limited Iditions don't have this issue.

Found the lock was seized due to dirt and water penetrating through the handle where the external button sits....that insert is not sealed properly. All the grime goes right into the locking mechanism. I did try to open and clean it...but module is assembled in such a way you can't service or remove the dirt to clean sensors and connectors inside or able to lube the servo motor gears. Actually the locking mechanism has so much dirt in it....none of the sensors or contact points work well to tell the boot if it's on lock position 1 or 2.

After installing the new lock mechanism (locking actuator) I removed the rear insert, cleaned all the grime out...sealed it a bit better and added protective plastic over the inside of the locking mechanism so nothing can enter and damage it internally when dust or water enters. Some proactive measures to ensure I don't have to crawl into the boot again to find the emergency opening.

Pricing for a new lock actuator is only about R850, I manage to get discounted price to R650 from the Ford Dealer in Kempton if I had to buy one. If no cleaning of the boot inner required...should take 20min to remove cover and replace lock.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_133041.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	634404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_191619.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	634405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_191841.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	634406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_192111.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	634407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_124541.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	598.5 KB 
ID:	634408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211028_124204.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	634409