Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Toyota Fortuner buying guide?

Ok so I've considered many avenues so far - from Jimny's to Wranglers, but it seems like the road is leading towards a Fortuner as the best car for my needs. Whilst not my favorite car, its growing on me after watching a few reviews.

With that said, I have a few questions!

Some pre-question information:

1) The car will be used as a daily driver, with 80-90% of it being used to get to work and back, with mixed highway and town driving. However, when I want to go away for a holiday, I want the option of being able to go pretty much wherever I want.
    2) It's just me and the wife for now, with a kid maaaybe on the way this year or the next. I also have 3 large dogs (huskies), but I seldom need to take them anywhere.
    3) I've spend most of my young adult life changing cars every year or two, keeping them within the maintenance plan. I now want a vehicle that I'm not afraid to own for many years outside of a warranty - hence looking at Toyota.
    4) My budget is around +/-R350k. I could push to R400k if the perfect example came up, but I'm trying not to. With this budget I'm expecting to be looking at the 2016/17 year model - preferably the new shape (before the 2020 facelift obviously)
    5) Automatic gearbox's are a must.

On to the questions..

1) What engine type will be suitable for me? 2.4, 2.8, v6? (v6 seems like overkill maybe)
    2) It seems like 4x4 isnt standard, but I presume it will be quite dumb not to go for a 4x4 version. Why get a brick of a car if its not even a 4x4, after all?
    3) Do standard features include a rear camera? PDC? For a 2017 year model
    4) Is there a good after-market option for the infotainment that supports Apple Car Play?
    5) Is it pretty safe to buy a high-mileage example, as long as it looks good and has a full service history?
    6) Am I totally out of the ball-park cash wise with a 2016/7 4x4 model? They seem pretty hard to find.

Thanks! I'll see if I have any more questions after some more feedback/research.
    Last edited by LukeHawk; 2021/01/24 at 05:54 PM.

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner buying guide?

I would go for a v6 long term, the fuel consumption if you don't drive like a boy racer is very similar to the diesels for every day use. 7.5-8km/l allround. The petrol is a simple motor and I would think cheaper as fat as serving goes long term.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    I would go for a v6 long term, the fuel consumption if you don't drive like a boy racer is very similar to the diesels for every day use. 7.5-8km/l allround. The petrol is a simple motor and I would think cheaper as fat as serving goes long term.
    So I've spied this one out:
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...hatha/6005325/

Pro's being that its the V6, and very close to where I live so I can check it out. It's also sold by Toyota, so its probably pretty safe - not a shady unknown dealership.
    Con's being its very high mileage for a 2017 model.

I'm just confused though... as although its a stretch on my budget - doesnt it seem a tad cheap for a V6 4x4 model? I see 2.4 GD's going for that, though with half the km's.

I would look at the 2.4 with your budget, fantastic motor and more than adequate for your use.
    FJC - Just Cruising

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Given that you plan on keeping it for some while, I would find the lowest milage example you can within your budget. No matter what anyone tells you at 250-300k km cars start to get old. I speak as someone with an amarok with over 300k and while it is going well, I would not be shocked if I had to spend some money on it soon.

Rather try for a wife's taxi with older age but lower milage if you can.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

This weekend I learnt that a 2.4l Fortuner is great value for money. I have owned 2X4 D4D A/T, 4X4 D4D A/T, 2.8 4X4 DG6 A/T, 4.0l 4X4 V6. On Friday I borrowed my partners 2.4l A/T Fortuner to go fetch a boat in Durban. The boat must clock in at a little under 1000 kg's. The 2.4 handled it with ease, I was most impressed. The box hunts waaay less than the 4.0l when speedo cruise is engaged.

In order the 4.0l V6 would come behind the 2.8 and then the 2.4.

I find that the 4.0l you have to "drive" on the N1 for example unless you are constantly on the throttle you will lose speed on the hills. Put you foot down and you are OK. The 2.8 seldom needs to gear down and the 2.4 a little more so. I just cant get used to having to cane the engine after the luxury of torque on demand.

Worst vehicle purchase of my life was going from the 2.8 to the 4.0l.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

If you are one of us of the turbo diesel generation, we struggle with petrol motors ...we don't understand them and don't know how to drive them...

How will we manage electric cars??

I would go with low mileage 2.4 or 2.8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I would say go for the 2.4 which is an all around excellent economical vehicle and you should get one with lower mileage than a 2.8 for the same price. Good luck with the hunting

Thanks guys. Ok so if the 2.4 or 2.8 is the way to go, will I be missing out on much by going for the 2x4 vs the 4x4?

I think you have answered this question in your 1st post already. Go for a 4x4 and you should be able to get a 2018 2.4 within your budget, just take your time to find the right one. The 2.8 has more bells and whistles but then you will have to settle for an older model.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernesto For This Useful Post:

The 2.4 has plenty of power, most of our new work vehicles are the 2.4, and it is great.

I have moved back from diesel to petrol vehicles, and for a long time I was driving my petrol vehicles like they were diesels, and that is very frustrating, the petrol engines want revs. The CVT in the Xtrail takes care of it for you.
    As for the Auto box in the V6 "hunting", it is hunting because the driver wants more power, but then when it kicks down the driver lets off because of the revs and it changes up again. It is a petrol , it needs revs to make the power, let it rev up.
    Petrol vehicles are more fun to drive when you want to drive, but less fun on long roads where you want to relax and let the vehicle do the work.

As for electrics, they have even more torque than diesels , that will be an easy transition I think.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    Thanks guys. Ok so if the 2.4 or 2.8 is the way to go, will I be missing out on much by going for the 2x4 vs the 4x4?
    When in doubt I always go 4x4.
    Just remember you are asking this question on a 4x4 forum.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    Yes, you will miss out a lot! Small extra amount to pay for the 4x4.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Rather have the 4x4 and not need it daily, otherwise you might have a 4x2 Fortuner for sale in the near future....

For your needs, I don't think you can go wrong with a 2.4.
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Makro For This Useful Post:

Hi LukeHawk,
    Similar to many said, the 2.4 4x4 AT is the way to go all round. Only if you can find a 2.8 4x4 AT at about the same/similar price and mileage, from a Toyota dealer, then it’s a good and close 2nd option. The V6, no way. The fuel consumption is an immediate thing you’ll have to live with and is hectic. I’ve had at and talking from experience.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Howzit Luke,

I am a Fortuner owner and I am going to say the following.

When you insert the keys into the ignition, you should smile, not us... so test drive all three.

Then decide...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayna For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayna View Post
    Howzit Luke,

I am a Fortuner owner and I am going to say the following.

When you insert the keys into the ignition, you should smile, not us... so test drive all three.

Then decide...
    That is very true.
    My old (1996 think) 2.4 Hilux made me smile, my 2004 2.4 Hilux did not and neither does my my new one.

My 2.8 Trailblazer was a gloomy afair, sold it under 10 000km, even though the engine had good power and consumption.

My 2.4 Donkey Hardbody had me with a wide grin every time I drove it, if I had a choice i always picked it above anything else, And now I am hoping the FJ will give me that same feeling.

Life is too short to make your fuel calculations dictate everything.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Hey guys, taking all you've said into consideration - All I can really find are these (all 4x4 models):

Option 1: Lowest mileage of the 3, but the weakest engine, and seemingly the lowest spec in terms of extras (non touch-screen infotainment by the looks of it - so no reverse camera or anything). However it looks the cleanest of the bunch. 2018 as well.
    https://www.automark.co.za/vehicle/toyota/2633231

Option 2: 2017 High-ish mileage, and a V6, but nicely specc'd. Also its right around the corner from me
    https://www.automark.co.za/vehicle/toyota/2689777

Option 3: 2017 Very high mileage for the year, but the best diesel engine. Probably my least favorite of the bunch because of the mileage - price seems far too high
    https://www.automark.co.za/vehicle/toyota/2801990
    (Nevermind, this one is in Namibia)

I'm leaning towards option 1, because of mileage and year. I can always fit aftermarket options for lacking comfort features later I guess.
    They're all pretty pricey, but it seems to be the going rate.
    Last edited by LukeHawk; 2021/01/25 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I would look at the 2.4 with your budget, fantastic motor and more than adequate for your use.
    2.4 will not have camera, and will have those not so sexy looking rotary aircon controls. Also a grainy display for both dash and infotainment.

V6 or 2.8 diesel both fine for most peoples needs. Depends on whether you prefer to cruise around in truck-like motor for less consumption or in a refined smooth v6 for a little more gas.

And don't be fooled. V6 real world usage will be about 4-5 km/l combined. The diesels will be 8-9 km/l combined

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Depends on whether you prefer to cruise around in truck-like motor for less consumption or in a refined smooth v6 for a little more gas.
    We will agree to differ here, at low speed more refined. Highway driving and towing they are a lot of work. My 2.8 barely raised a sweat on undulating open roads, my 4.0l I have to constantly put my foot down for undulations that the 2.8 would not feel nor change down for. If the 2.8 kicks down one gear the 4.0l kicks down two. For me simply not a nice drive.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/01/24 at 10:45 PM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast