Default Journal: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi (XK)

So I bought a used XK last year and while going through all the treads, learning a lot about the vehicle and others as well, I thought it would be best to have a journal / record of all the mods, fixing, maintenance etc.

Then I decided I'll just do it on this forum, therefor other Commander owners can perhaps learn something as well. (or share thoughts and ideas.)

I am not very gifted on the mechanical side of things so learning as much as I can along the way and this forum has been a great tool.

I will be posting mostly the issues I've experienced and how I tried to solve them. Also service info and other mods. Occasionally I might include some trip info as well.
    The idea is mainly to journal / keep record for myself so this will be a ongoing thread until the day that the Hemi finds a new home, in which case this information should be very valuable to the new owner. Obviously not planning on selling soon, but you never know what the future holds.

Feel free to contribute, share, suggest any tips and ideas. I'll try and provide as much detail as possible without writing a book (lets see about that).

Ok, hope everyone has a lovely day, 1st post to follow soon.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

Bushlapa Ratel 4 (B2379) (ETA: March 2021)
    2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi (less km/l but more smile/mile)
    2020 Merc C200 (for Swambo)
    2013 Nissan NP200 (Little Work horse)
    2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)
    1997 Isuzu KB280DT D/Cab (SOLD)
    2012 Jeep Cherokee 2.8LTD (SOLD)
    2012 Toyota Quantum D4-D P/Van (SOLD)
    1985 Merc 280SE (for Swambo) (SOLD)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CL773WP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Journal: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi (XK)

The new Family Member - September 2020

Bought the Commander from Jacques Jansen (aka JeepFan).
    ODO: 77,000km approx
    Price: R116,000

Jeep had the following extras:
    - Long range fuel tank (100L)
    - Rear Steel bumper with spare wheel carrier
    - OME suspension with 2" lift.
    - Fitted set of Jeep Wrangler 17" rims with AT (Goodyear Wrangler)
    - Extra set of Jeep Commander 17" rims with MT's (Mudstar Radial)
    - Aftermarket Radio (great sound)
    - Melville & Moon seat covers
    - LED Bar
    - Additional twin electric fans with toggle switch.

Wishlist for mods:
    - Roofrack
    - Snorkel
    - Front Bumber
    - Fridge
    - Water storage (drinking water)

So let's start with why a Commander.

I've owned a 2012 Cherokee (KK) 2.8CRD Ltd from 2012-2016 which was my first Jeep. Although not a proper 4x4 I got hooked on Jeep. I've always liked the brand, although never owned one prior to 2012.
    Some business challenges forced me to give up the KK end of 2016. Knew I will go Jeep again in future.

Here comes 2020 and presented me with new opportunities and it was time to move forward.

At this time I had a 1998 Isuzu 280DT D/C as our adventure vehicle. Missed the Jeep too much so I started looking at various models.
    I did not want a KK again mainly because of it's incapabilities. A Wrangler just never suited my taste for a family vehicle. I did look at some Grand Cherokee's but I just really loved the look of the Commander. You know..?

Next, the only Commander I was looking for was a Hemi. Here's the main reason why.
    You get them really cheap (almost always) and with extremely low mileage for it's age. Why? I think because no-one wants to put so much km's on a thirsty Hemi.
    Now personally I think Hemi's is not that heavy on fuel compared to other big petrol motors. The MDS system helps alot here. (this is where 4 cylinders are switched off when cruising.)
    The CRD was no option for me - not willing to take a big risk on a used car wrt maintenance and other related diesel challenges (new diesels with maintenance plans etc is different story for me.)

I went to look at a few options in Cape Town but never felt at peace.

Then in August last year, I saw this one advertised in Gumtree. The vehicle was in Northern Cape, so I asked my brother to go check it for me. He knows a fare share about everything off-road and I trust his judgement. He went and inspected the Jeep and said I should go ahead with the purchase. And that was it. My brother and my clean father () went and collect the Jeep the following day and drove it back to Christiana where my dad lives.

I asked them to take it to a mechanic (CTA) to do a basic service, oil change, filters etc. CTA were asked to put new antifreeze in as well. They billed me for the coolant but later I learned they never did it. (more on that later.)

About 2 weeks later I went and collected the Jeep in Christiana.

Man, when I got in the Jeep I got goosebumps. Such a thrill to drive. I took it for a test drive on the N12 (nice and straight road) and before I know it I was just over 210km/h. I noticed the temperature went almost to the read but came down quickly as I reduced speed. I was a little worried about the temperature but not knowing the engine I wasn't sure whether it's normal, or okay, or not. There was also a couple of rattles and noised I didn't like coming from suspension - I suspected it was shock mounts or something like bushes that needed replacement.
    Nevertheless, we made our way back to Cape Town through 500km plus gravel roads to put the Jeep to the test. From Kimberly to Douglas, Prieska, Cararvon, Loxton, Beaufort Wes - all gravel with a trailer. I was very impressed with the suspension especially.

So here's the first pics of the Jeep and the trip back home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 17.50.40.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	603414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-08-23 at 17.53.47.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	603415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200909_074015190_iOS copy.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	603416  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/26 at 07:17 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CL773WP For This Useful Post:

210Km/hr or 120Km/hr?
    Regards
    HeinrichC

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    210Km/hr or 120Km/hr?
    Jip = 210km/h - ek moes net sien wat hy kan doen. Mos niks gewoond nie.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CL773WP For This Useful Post:

Rattles / Noises & Preparation for Richtersveld trip.

So we arrived back in Cape Town around the 9th of September and already planned a trip to Namakwaland / Richtersveld. (more on this in the next post)

First things first, I needed to sort out the rattles & noises coming from below and also get a proper check-up before going on our 1st Overlanding trip.

I soon learned that Mark from Maniac is the main man for Jeeps, so 4 days later the Jeep went in. They sorted out all the issues I asked for in no time and at a reasonable price of around R1.8k. Turns out of some of the nuts that hold the stabilizers were loose, some bush of a shock was worn and some other odds and ends just needed to tighten a bit.

Another thing I asked them to do for me is to put the LED bar on a dedicated switch next to the other 2 existing macgyver switches next to the steering wheel. (Had to this cause I still needed RWC on the Jeep) One switch is for the fuel pump on the long-range tank and the other switch for the Aux fan. Not liking the idea of having 3 switches that each look different, I asked Mark to replace the other 2 switches as well so all 3 look the same - and they did a stunning job. This was included in the above price. Picture below.

Mark seems to be on the ball with all things concerning Jeep, so I felt comfortable bringing the Jeep back for servicing, mods etc.

A quick note about the aux fan: Initially I thought the fan will only be used in extreme & harsh conditions to serve as additional cooling but I ended up using it quite a couple of times and was actually a lifesaver at some stages but I will also elaborate more on this later

So to end off this post - shout out to Mark and the maniac guys. The little I worked with you and your team made me sleep well with no worries.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/24 at 09:05 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

Default Journal: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi (XK)

Nice Thread Strikdas. Mag jy baie gelukkige en voorspoedige myle met jou Hemi Commander afle.
    Last edited by Luan; 2021/01/24 at 08:15 PM.
    Luan
    (Ex)'04 Grand Cherokee Laredo (Ex 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luan For This Useful Post:

Namaqua / Richtersveld - towing with the hemi. Cooling problem?

Too excited about the new family member, I felt the need for a good holiday.
    I stumbled across a Facebook post from Tommie Watkins (aka Tommie Yster on the forum) about a planned Richtersveld tour at the end of September.

I liked the idea too much and booked a spot. I'm going to skip alot of the tour details but in short - We rented a Jurgens Explorer caravan and teamed up with the Stoftrappers in Pofadder and the experience began. Tommie and Mari is wonderful people and I won't hesitate to tour with them again.

But let's talk about the Commander... (and the explorer)
    I have changed the wheels to the Mudstar MT's that I got extra with the Jeep so we can prepared for the harsh terrain. It was fitted on the original Commander 17" rims.

At this point in time, I was also considering buying a caravan so I thought this is a perfect opportunity to start testing out some caravans. (I'll create a separate post for our caravan selecting journey). We rented an Explorer from Cape Town 4x4 Trailer Hire.

I was SUPER impressed with the towing capability of the Hemi. It towed like there was nothing behind it, and the explorer is like a tank. That thing is way too heavy for its own GVM if you ask me but that's off the topic.
    Going up Piekenierskloof pass with ease passing trucks occasionally. (ok mostly). Keeping the speed at 100/110km\h on the straights I would notice the temperature rises to about 3/4 on the uphills and passes. Some passes it went a little further than 3/4 but I kept it steady and easy then.

So seriously, I don't think I want to tow with anything else again. My previous Jeep (2.8CRD KK) also towed well, but it's not the same. I've also towed with various V6 motors in the past so that was my reference point. The Hemi V8 is just amazing. I think here you one of the best examples of Horsepower and Torque coming together very nicely.

Off-road the Hemi performed great. Thick sand, rocky roads - it just had no issues. Somewhere in Namaqua on the eco-4x4 route I think, we came to a section where I got seriously nervous. If I remember correctly it's also called Swartberg pass (no, not the one in Prince Albert).
    Here is how this played out. Tommie asked me to engage lockers and diffs and I can't remember what else cause I couldn't really focus. I was just staring at this crazy, rocky uphill track thing in front of me, imagining how I roll down the mountain when I'm halfway up.
    I told Tommie I don't think this Hemi has lockers. He said, just engage low range, keep your revs steady, take it slow and the caravan will just follow you.
    Low and behold, there we go. Swambo and my mom praying kliphard all the way to the top. It went very well actually. I never really understood the mechanics of the QuadraDriveII system. As a matter of fact, I still don't understand all of it but I know exactly how it feels when that whole system is put to work. Unbelievable is all I can say.

After the Swartberg pass, the rest was fairly easy.

It's just the temperature thing that bugs me a bit. Not overheating, just running too hot for me.

Sadly, I had to abandon the group just before we entered the Richtersveld (2nd leg of the tour) as I had a slight medical situation I had to take care of. I left Vioolsdrif about 9am and checked in 5pm in Medi-clinic Cape Gate. (was sent back home at about 11pm so all was okay, not too serious) Not towing faster than 110km/h, the Jeep's temperature stayed constant at 3/4 most of the time. Again, didn't really like it.

A few days have gone by and we left again for our own little Weskus toer which was very nice. The last night we camped at The Baths and from there we took the back roads via Op die berg / Ceres. Again, temp 3/4 most of the way but this time sometimes even higher on the very steep slopes. Awesome scenic route though.

Check out Stoftrappers if you'd like to do something really fun.
    https://stoftrappers.com/

Ps: while traveling through the West Coast National Park we stopped at Geelbek Restuarant for lunch and when we got the Hemi saw it's brother, the CRD. (pic at the end) Would like to know how the owner is though.

Name:	Richtersveld_001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	917.7 KB 
ID:	603436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richtersveld_002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	603437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richtersveld_003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	603438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richtersveld_004.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	603439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richtersveld_005.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	335.6 KB 
ID:	603440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westcoast_001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	603441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westcoast_002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	603442  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/24 at 09:04 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

Firstly. Awesome thread. Really enjoy reading this. The commanders are very underrated. They are comfortable, strong and have one heck of a 4wd system. It has lsd both front and rear and when it engages basically works the same like a locker. My father has a crd and he loves that thing. Keep it up with the great posts. Stay safe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepfamily For This Useful Post:

Great thread, enjoying it very much.

Keep going.
    Regards
    HeinrichC

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

Service Tyre Pressure System error - October 2020. (and Service 4WD System)

When I bought the Jeep, I noticed the computer displaying the following error messages.
    1. Service Tyre Pressure System
    2. Service 4wd System (low range still engaged when I needed it, so this error was caused by another issue.)

Pics attached.

So when I got back from Richtersveld, it was time for me to start looking to these errors. Funny thing is, I never saw the "Service Tyre Pressure System" message while I was on tour in Namaqualand.

Just before we left for our little Weksus trip I decided to change back to the AT tyres as we did not plan any harsh off-road tracks and as I also prefer the softer ride and "not so noisy" MT's. I went to Tyres & More, Cape Gate and they took off the Muds. Unfortunately, while they started to fit the AT's (which is on the black Wrangler rims) we noticed some bad cracks on the sidewalls of 3 of the tyres. I then opted for 4x new Hancook AT's. Not too happy about the sudden expense, but hey, safety first! Dolfie at Tyre's & More suggested I go for the Hancooks because of the good warrantee that comes with it. I then heard from 3 other people within the next week that it's actually very good tyres. So thanks Dolfie. Keep it up!

When I left Tyres & More, the Service Tyre Pressure System error came back on. So we left for Weskus the same day. Impressed with the new tyres and the smooth ride, I was still very much bugged by this stupid error. I mean, it reads the tyre pressure of all tyres perfectly, the spare is good, I just didn't like the fact that still showing an error. Anyway, we had a good time at the Weskus while the temp of the Hemi was also still too high according to my liking. (in the next post I'll talk about the cooling problem)

I booked the Commander in for a checkup at William Simpson Jeep in Tokai. I was referred to them by Maniac regarding these error codes, suggesting that they perform a flash update. The service advisor informed me that Jeep was due for a couple of recalls according to their system. After the updated the "Service 4wd System" error was gone. It is still gone today so I believe all is good. (Tried the fuse hack before I took it to William Simpson, did not work). When I asked the service advisor about the high temp of the Hemi, he merely said that's how they run, it's a Hemi. Mmmm... Don't know about that. Just doesn't feel right I said to him. He assured me again that if it runs 3/4 it's fine. Anyway, we'll get to this later...

As for the "Service Tyre Pressure System," they said it's because I have Wrangler rims on the Jeep and not the original Commander and that it interferes with the Jeep's computer. Suddenly I remember that during the Namaqualand trip when I had the MT's on the original Commander rims, I never saw the error. So this made all sense to me. I will check again on this in the near future when I switch back to the MT's and will post an update on it. Leaving the error alone for now.

ODO when fitted the new AT's: 81,000km
    Price for the 4 new tyres: R12k
    Price for the recall: Mahala. (Yess!!!) The charged R500 on the invoice but they said I don't have to pay it.

Name:	Jeep-Service_Tyre_Press_system.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	603707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-Service4wdsystem.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	603708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-Hancook_tyres.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	362.0 KB 
ID:	603709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-William_simpson_invoice.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	603710  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/26 at 05:48 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

Way too HOT! Roadtrip to EC, KZN & FreeState - December 2020.

It was time for our first EVER serious December holidays. 5 weeks in total.
    Started off in Glentana (Dwarswegstrand) for a week, Cape St Frances for a week and then we met up with the rest of the family in Ugie. While there we did some amazing trips incl Rhodes, Naude's Nek, Bastervoet to name a few.
    While in Ugie, I had a long chat about the temp of the Hemi and that I'm starting to get very concerned about this. We discussed a few options such as radiator issues, water pump, etc. At this point, the Hemi never overheated so I knew I was still fairly on the safe side.
    Our next stop was Bloem and in the spur of the moment, my brother & I decided to take a long drive around Lesotho, through Drakensberg, Golden Gate, and then head back to Bloem over about 3 days. He drives a Pajero.
    During these 3 days, I noticed the temperature kept reaching higher levels. Never overheated, but sometimes get's close to red. Between Bethlehem & Winburg things got worse. The warning sign "Check Gauges" came on. I stopped, checked water levels, and waited about 30 min. Here is where we discovered the guy that did the service for me in Christiana never added the antifreeze although he charged me for it. It was just clean water. We tried again, driving not more than 60km/h, another warning bell went off to check gauges again. This was time for the recovery gear to come out. The Pajero towed the Hemi for about 20km (while idle to maintain control of steering and brakes) and right outside Winburg on the N1 I got the horror message to check the gauges again. We stopped and popped the hood. 8 pm, pitch dark N1, 3 hungry kids, 2 swambo's (sisters), and two brothers! Got some advice from another brother (heavy) and clean father to remove the Thermostat. With limited tools, we've managed to remove the thermostat. Problem solved! (well sort of..) Must add this here: I know have all the tools I need to take that Jeep apart in the back toolbox. (or for someone else to take it apart rather) INCL a waterpomp tang to get a grip of that clamp over the water hose just before the thermostat's housing.
    The next day (30 Dec) we ordered a thermostat from John Willams in Bloem. 4 days later the wrong part came. Another 3 days later we got the right thermostat (88deg I believe) and could head back to Cape Town. I also now added new antifreeze.

This my friends seem to have been the culprit all along. The damn Thermostat. Feeling very stupid that I never thought of that before, I had a much bigger feeling of gratitude that it was not something more serious, that I did not blow a gasket, and most of all, to my brother Kobus that was joining me on that unplanned road trip of ours.

During the whole trip down to Cape Town, the temp needle settled just a fraction below the halfway mark. I even did the shady 210km/h test again and the needle didn't lift a bit. And the best for me was the immediate improvement in fuel consumption. I drove 13,000km up to that time and could never get above 5km/l. Now I get just over 7km/l (not towing) at 120km/h. Magnificent. I discussed this change in fuel economy with my brother and the only explanation we can think of is that previously the Jeep's hydraulic fans were constantly on full blast, which required more engine power. Might be wrong on this but if anyone has another explanation for this, please let me know. Would be very interesting.

ODO when fitted the new Thermostat and new antifreeze: 89,000km
    Price for the Thermostat: R495
    Price for the antifreeze: R125

Not bad...
    Some pics below. The 3rd pic was the last pic I took of while the Hemi ran too hot. Pic nr 4 shows the constant temp after new thermostat was installed. Last pic also clearly shows the heavy fuel consumption. I will update later about improved fuel consumption.

Name:	Jeep-Heat_old_thermostat_01.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	603717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-Heat_old_thermostat_02.jpg 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	603718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat_001.jpg 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	603719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-Heat_new_thermostat.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	603720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaudesNek_001.jpg 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	603721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Consumption_001.jpg 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	603722  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/26 at 05:43 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

Another new issue: Airbag light came on. January 2021.

During the road trip in December, the Airbag light came on. Luckily this was a very simple fix.
    What happened was, that while spending new years in Christiana my brother told me that my left park lights (front and back) were dead. We checked the fused and found the dead one. We then took a fuse from the "spare" holder and whala, sorted. Nice little 2-minute fix.

I "think" the airbag light came on the next day I drove the Hemi. I remember thinking to myself why is there always a hole in the bucket. Now another problem. Will it ever stop?

So one evening while studying youtube, I came across the Airbag Warning light issue. Could not believe my ears. Turns out the yellow fuse holder that says spares is NOT spare fuses. I replaced the fuse I used for the park lights and the problem was sorted out. Check out the video here: Fixing the common Air Bag Light on a Jeep Commander

Airbag warning light - solved!

The picture below is from the internet. It is just used to show the warning light. Unfortunately I never took a photo of when mine came on, but looked exactly the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CL773WP; 2021/01/26 at 05:57 PM.
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)

Serviced with Maniac 4x4 on 91k - January 2021

Just a short update, I took the Hemi for it's 90k service to Maniac.
    I never realized the Hemi had 16 Spark plugs! Wow!

They picked up on two issues.
    Firstly, the front diff bushes need to be replaced. I very happy they picked on this because another issue I forgot to mention before is a scary "knocking" sound whenever I shifted from Reverse to Neutral. So I'll probably take it back to them within the next week or two to sort this out.

Then secondly, there is an ever so slightly leak on the gearbox (where it connects to the engine) so that seal needs to be replaced.
    They said it's not very serious, but suggested I fix this on the 100k service as this service will replace transmission oil as well. So this one can wait a while.

Cost on 90k service: R7,406.50 (Oil Filter, Air Filter & Spark plugs)
    Groete

Dawie Botha

2009 Volvo V50 (SOLD)