Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Builders WH - Price Difference

Tread lightly when buying there...

Needed heavy duty stick on velcro. Surfed the Web and found what I needed on BWH site. 50mmx1000mm black with a carry strength of 7kgs per 100mm.

Price R66 advertised on Web. Nice!

Surfed a little more, same item at BWH for R181. Still nice!

Went to BWH in Faerie Glen Pta. Shelve price R335. Same product same product code.

Spoke to Simon a Manager. He thought I was joking and trying to pull a fast one. Could understand his side and gave him my phone. Logged on to Web for him and he did the searches himself.

Confirmed price difference by himself.

Now the Manager lost it, against his own Co incompetence.

We parted in good spirit and I got my velcro at R66.

In my book the manager gets 5/5 for how he handled it.

But make sure about the price you see and the price on the shelve and the price at the till.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mogster For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Builders WH - Price Difference

Quote Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
    Tread lightly when buying there...

Needed heavy duty stick on velcro. Surfed the Web and found what I needed on BWH site. 50mmx1000mm black with a carry strength of 7kgs per 100mm.

Price R66 advertised on Web. Nice!

Surfed a little more, same item at BWH for R181. Still nice!

Went to BWH in Faerie Glen Pta. Shelve price R335. Same product same product code.

Spoke to Simon a Manager. He thought I was joking and trying to pull a fast one. Could understand his side and gave him my phone. Logged on to Web for him and he did the searches himself.

Confirmed price difference by himself.

Now the Manager lost it, against his own Co incompetence.

We parted in good spirit and I got my velcro at R66.

In my book the manager gets 5/5 for how he handled it.

But make sure about the price you see and the price on the shelve and the price at the till.

I have noticed some items on the website don't have a price until you select your branch then the price pops up. This led me to play around with different stores and that gave me different prices.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

I will only set foot in a builders, IF my life depended on it.

I hate those stores - so overpriced, and utterly useless unfriendly staff. (not in your case though)
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/01/22 at 09:28 AM.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

About 4 Years ago i was redoing my Kitchen. Fort his I needed a new Gas Hob and Under counter Electrical Oven. Browsed online, and Found BW has a 4 plate Gas Hob for R1650, and a Elba thermo Oven for R2000, (that cannot be true i thought)
    I went to builders PE, saw the same items on display for R3500, and R4500 respectively. I Asked the salesman to honor the Internet price, he said he cannot do it.
    Long Story short, I stood in the Isle, bought the product online & paid for it. I selected the PE branch for Pick up. Once I got confirmation of order and payment, the same salesman had to fetch the products from their store and helped me wheel it out to my car.
    I paid internet price. The salesman then informed me that it happened quote often, the internet is loaded with Cost price instead of selling price. That is a problem with HQ, and not store related. So the unit that I bought, will be replaced by HQ to the store at HQ`s cost. So the store does not loose. If they gave me the product from the floor at internet price, the store would have lost out. -EDIT: the next day, the internet price reflected the correct price as per store

I bought a 99cc Ryobi lawnmower on their Black Friday Deal online.(Paid R1800) Got 35% off. 2-3 Week waiting time as the did not have stock. 4 weeks later, no response. I went to the shop, asked about my order, and they said, "Sorry. that model is now discontinued, here, take the 175cc for the same price - 175cc price - R4800"

I am happy with builders, never had issue with them.
    Last edited by Vormoto; 2021/01/22 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Additional info

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Builders has always had issues with prices. They will accept the lower price if you can show it. Many shops have the same policies.

Much better system was (and possibly still is) in Pick &Pay. If there was wrong price on the till compared to the shelve then the first item was for free and all other on the shelve price. I did get big Texan stake for free. I was waiting for a wrong price on any TV 50" or larger

Hardware shops have very high number of items for sale. It is very difficult to get the prices right. One trick to buy items is to buy from a small hardware store where the owner doesn't increase the prices all the time. I bough some of my tools on old price mid/late 80's when Rand dropped a lot. Later years odds and ends.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

We REALLY need a Leroy Merlin branch in Pretoria. It's like Builders, just nowhere near that expensive.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    We REALLY need a Leroy Merlin branch in Pretoria. It's like Builders, just nowhere near that expensive.
    Agreed!

Fortunately there are enough FH Chamberlain stores with helpful and knowledgable staff that can assist you. No high shelves where staff can hide and dissappear into. Always neat and clean. Nee wat leroy merlin is net so useless soos bw.
    HENK

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

I have had a few issues at BWH Faerie Glen. The management team has always managed to sort things out quickly and professionally.
    Last edited by Craigm; 2021/01/22 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Fortunately there are enough FH Chamberlain stores with helpful and knowledgable staff that can assist you. No high shelves where staff can hide and dissappear into. Always neat and clean. Nee wat leroy merlin is net so useless soos bw.
    My problem with Chamberlains is that not all of them have everything. Leroy Merlin has EVERYTHING.

EDIT: That being said, I'll gladly take the drive to Chamberlains in Centurion if I need something. Epic, epic store.
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 2021/01/22 at 10:39 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Builders has always had issues with prices. They will accept the lower price if you can show it. Many shops have the same policies.

Much better system was (and possibly still is) in Pick &Pay. If there was wrong price on the till compared to the shelve then the first item was for free and all other on the shelve price. I did get big Texan stake for free. I was waiting for a wrong price on any TV 50" or larger

Hardware shops have very high number of items for sale. It is very difficult to get the prices right. One trick to buy items is to buy from a small hardware store where the owner doesn't increase the prices all the time. I bough some of my tools on old price mid/late 80's when Rand dropped a lot. Later years odds and ends.
    Game had/has a policy that if you buy something and then find it cheaper in the next 7 days or something, they'll refund the difference.

I bought a TV at Game. 1 week later it was on special (at Game). I went to them and told them I had found it cheaper.

"Where?", they asked.

"Here", I said, pointing to their weekly newspaper insert.

Customer service guy smiled and refunded me the difference.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

OK so I'mma post a fun story.

PnP in Lonehill close to where I used to live was a quick stop on the way from work quite often for me. So one day I stop there and I've only got one or two things to I go to the "quick queue" side. Stand in queue and I notice those Wonder Bar chocolates on the shelf, listed at R0.53 instead of the usual R5,39 or something like that. So obvious mistake. So I take the whole box (something like 20 chocolates left in the box). I get to the queue and the lady rings up the stuff, and finally the chocolates. She beeps one and immediately sees the price, tells me to hold on and the calls the manager.

I knew PnP's rule on it though - you get all products at the shelf price. So the manager arrives, checks it, and says "well that's the price" and he gives me the chocolates at that price. All good and I leave.

A week or so later I'm back in the same store. Same queue area. Out of curiosity I turn around and check the price on the Wonder Bars. To my surprise I see the price is still at R0.53. So I take the new box on the shelf. This time a few more in there, something like 44 units. Get to the till, ring up, same story. She sees the price and calls the manager. Manager is the same guy, and as he arrives he looks at me, looks at the chocolates and I can see him getting LIVID.

Tells me "price is price" and I get the chocolates at the price, but he calls someone over who I can only assume was supposed to fix this problem. I left while he was going off on that employee, and the product wasn't on special again.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

I thought this was now a legal requirement under the CPA or something. They have to charge you the listed/displayed price?
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

21. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDL For This Useful Post:

Had the same happen to me once at a Spar. Saw a few Pork Fillets that was clearly labeled wrong. Took advantage of it and loaded a few. It was picked up at the till, and the manager approved the sale.

Attachment 603122
    Attached Images Attached Images  

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vormoto View Post
    Had the same happen to me once at a Spar. Saw a few Pork Fillets that was clearly labeled wrong. Took advantage of it and loaded a few. It was picked up at the till, and the manager approved the sale.

Attachment 603122
    The manager was stupid.
    FJC - Just Cruising

. I did get big Texan stake for free. .
    Apologies Jouko, but is that a piece of wood that you use to kill a big Texan?
    Gavin Pike

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    and a much nicer shopping experience and better range, I'd even pay a bit to shop at LM over BW

Here in the east we have a BH and LM literally across the road from one another but the BW parking lot is still full
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

I never had issues with BWH, but you need to know your prices, because of that I do go to Chamberlains much more often these days.

I once heard or read somewhere that BWH falls in to the category of convenience stores, almost similar to the shops at fuel stations, something to do with their selection, hours and proximity.

Now that I think of it, years ago there was hardware stores with super long trading hours maybe even 24 hour, wasn't that BWH?
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Well its typical, Makro, Game, Builders have all been taken over by Massmart. We used to have a greater variety at Makro but since theyve been taken over the variety of items has reduced somewhat not to mention the way priced have gone up. On various occasions I have compared prices of items. Sometimes Leroy is cheaper and other times not. My best go to is still Central Building supplies in Edenvale. Their service is still tops.
    On four or five occasions I have been at Leroy and their items were out of stock on the items I was looking for. Example last time I needed a melamine board cut to size, they didnt have white in stock and would have to wait 2.5 hours although nothing was happening there. Went to Cetral Building Supplies, they had an offcut which they cut there and then to exact size I needed and supplied trim at a fraction of what I would haave paid at Leroy.
    I have a problem at the moment, ihave rollers of a Hillaldam sliding door where the nylon or plastic running surface has worn off rollers. Hillaldam are out of stock and they advised me to go to Leroy or Duilders or the likes. Sadly nobody has any spares suitable and their best answer is replace the whole system, what for two rollers. We wonder why there is no service
    Last edited by Wylie E; 2021/01/22 at 12:31 PM.

Builders is very expensive.I always look else where and use them when i really have no other option..Well ours anyway

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast