Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Almost conned on gumtree?

I’m looking for a reasonably priced “clam-style” RTT for an overland trip to East Africa in 2022, if possible a Bundutop. Yesterday I was searching for one on Gumtree and saw a second hand Bundutop plus Ostrich awning for the incredibly low price of R10,500 - they were in a remote area!! I called the person advertising and was told that they were both in excellent condition. Being in Australia immediate collection was a problem and the seller offered to keep the items in his garage until I could arrange pick-up, but payment was required to secure the items. However there was something niggling me about this fantastic bargain. I managed to buy time for a few hours.

I then contacted a forum member (who I’ve never met) in this remote area and he agreed to go and look at the items on my behalf, he too was somewhat suspicious of how good the pricing was. I called the seller back and explained that before paying I would like his address in order for my friend to check the items. From being an extremely friendly seller his whole manner changed and he said others were interested, I said I wanted to buy and requested the address once more. At this point the “seller” mumbled something incoherent and hung up. Subsequent emails were ignored.

Let the buyer beware, I think I dodged a bullet. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/22 at 05:41 AM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Almost conned on gumtree?

Bundutops used don’t come on the market often, for sure. That was definitely a too good to be true price...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Take a bit of time and report the add if you haven't done so already, it can be done by the click of a couple of buttons on the website. It will save somebody else money as well.

It will make the life of the con artist just slightly more difficult.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/01/22 at 07:15 AM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

See my reply above please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I’m looking for a reasonably priced “clam-style” RTT for an overland trip to East Africa in 2022, if possible a Bundutop. Yesterday I was searching for one on Gumtree and saw a second hand Bundutop plus Ostrich awning for the incredibly low price of R10,500 - they were in a remote area!! I called the person advertising and was told that they were both in excellent condition. Being in Australia immediate collection was a problem and the seller offered to keep the items in his garage until I could arrange pick-up, but payment was required to secure the items. However there was something niggling me about this fantastic bargain. I managed to buy time for a few hours.

I then contacted a forum member (who I’ve never met) in this remote area and he agreed to go and look at the items on my behalf, he too was somewhat suspicious of how good the pricing was. I called the seller back and explained that before paying I would like his address in order for my friend to check the items. From being an extremely friendly seller his whole manner changed and he said others were interested, I said I wanted to buy and requested the address once more. At this point the “seller” mumbled something incoherent and hung up. Subsequent emails were ignored.

Let the buyer beware, I think I dodged a bullet. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Be careful with online transactions, never, i say Never, pay deposit / upfront fees. Also when you sell, only receive payment in 2 methods:

Cash of Kontant!
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

Be ultra careful when the person says they have a lot of people interested / coming round to look and you must pay a 'holding deposit' - rather walk away.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Saw yesterday a comment on FB about somebody wanted to sell a laptop. Buyer supposedly send POP and told seller that an Uber will come and pick it up - strange luckily the seller and the uber driver smelled a rat and the laptop was never handed over
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    Saw yesterday a comment on FB about somebody wanted to sell a laptop. Buyer supposedly send POP and told seller that an Uber will come and pick it up - strange luckily the seller and the uber driver smelled a rat and the laptop was never handed over
    Hubby was conned out of a R10 000 camera with that scam in 2019. Very keen buyer (photographer who needed the camera urgently for a class that evening, money paid over chop-chop, etc). In our case the Uber driver was in on it.

Of course the forum google expert was quick to tell me how stupid we were and that we lived under a rock.

You certainly dodged a bullet Ted, glad you did.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/22 at 08:25 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Hubby was conned out of a R10 000 camera with that scam in 2019. Very keen buyer (photographer who needed the camera urgently for a class that evening, money paid over chop-chop, etc). In our case the Uber driver was in on it.

Of course the forum google expert was quick to tell me how stupid we were and that we lived under a rock.

You certainly dodged a bullet Ted, glad you did.
    Do they reverse the payment?
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Do they reverse the payment?
    Ermm, I cannot remember exactly. I speak under correction, but I think he send a POP but the transfer never cleared. And off course the camera was picked up before it cleared.

Hubby got hold of the Uber driver (initially) and he said he could not find the guy who 'bought' the camera and he (the Uber driver) still has it. Arrangements was made for him to bring it back, but he never did. Eventually his phone number was not available anymore.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I've heard that they sometimes work with people in the banks who even reverses cash payments.

Small items I only sell cash now (R5000 or less). Bigger items the buyer must meet face to face, make an instant payment and I move the money to another account before they may take the item. If they don't want to do it that way they are welcome to buy somewhere else.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/01/22 at 09:10 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

The crazy thing is that when I typed this out and started this thread earlier I was really worried that a forum member may respond and advise me that they actually got a huge bargain and collected the Bundutop and Ostrich awning yesterday I really was terribly excited when I first saw the advert, just as well the fellow forum member confirmed my suspicions. The forum member told me what you would call the "seller" in Afrikaans but I won't post the word on the forum as I suspect it may be very rude - I don't want to get banned
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

With FNB it is almost impossible to reverse a payment. Forms requesting the reversal must first be completed by the person that made the payment. Reversal division then contacts the account holder to verify that the reversal request is indeed legit and required. Account holder needs to complete a bunch of forms and after 3 weeks the transaction is reversed. I had to go through this process a few weeks ago and it is a real PITA.

With Scumtree transactions and proof of payments, these are normally photoshoped from other legit pops. It is very easy to verify though as they all have transaction references. All that is required is a call to the bank with the verification code and they will tell you whether it is a legit pop or not.

As far as I am concerned, the minute the buyer or seller says that they are in a foreign country, or on an oil rig, the warning bells go off in my head.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2021/01/22 at 09:23 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

My brother gave away a PS4 like this. Uber driver collected after POP sent
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

I see the forum google expert has been suspended

It sounds like the uber drivers (in these deals) are the kingpins. They sit around waiting for calls then use the time to their advantage.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

I looked a long time for a used Bundutop. Twice I’ve seen them on the classifieds here. Twice one person too late.

their service and product is top notch - new is worth it
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/01/22 at 08:08 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Some guy tried the pop sms thing a couple of years back with me, also sent a guy on a bike to collect the goods and I told him money must show in my account before collection, he changed over the phone instantly from a polite gentleman to speaking with a broken West African accent when I refused to hand over goods. There are bargains out there but in general if its to good to be true it is.
    Henk Stols

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Their service and product is top notch - new is worth it
    Yes, I think you are correct, there is a reason why you never see many second hand Bundutops advertised. I think I will buy a new one in RSA before eventually returning with it to Australia. I got a quote for a new one from Bundutec at ZAR34,990 (includes 2 fans + USB ports), the price in Australia is AUD5,490 (ZAR63,700).
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

I am sorry but it should be common sense ingrained in everybody by now that in this day and age you never pay for something from somebody from the internet without first physically having the item and testing it.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast