Five-minute charge for electric car batteries.

Default Five-minute charge for electric car batteries.

Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles...

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...charging-times
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Five-minute charge for electric car batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles...

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...charging-times
    Sorry to rain on the parade:
    The batteries can be fully charged in five minutes but this would require much higher-powered chargers than used today. Using available charging infrastructure, StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025.
    And in sa with much higher ambient temperature, what do they plan to do with the heat generated and also what size cables will be required? All engineering has a price that has to be paid due to the laws of physics which are immutable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

I think the point is, that battery technology is developing rather quickly at the moment.
    Nobody says that there is a ready made option available in SA to convert a V8 Landcruiser to an EV, yet.

Almost sounds like we got a couple of electrophobes around. ;-)
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Sorry to rain on the parade:

And in sa with much higher ambient temperature, what do they plan to do with the heat generated and also what size cables will be required? All engineering has a price that has to be paid due to the laws of physics which are immutable.

Don't burn that brige yet.

The pressure to shorten charging time for EV's is immense.
    A breakthrough like this could remove the charge time barrier as far as the batteries are concerned.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but give it time - as I said the pressure to shorten charge time is immense. And do not forget what old Bill G had to say about memory size many years ago.
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I think the point is, that battery technology is developing rather quickly at the moment.
    Nobody says that there is a ready made option available in SA to convert a V8 Landcruiser to an EV, yet.

Almost sounds like we got a couple of electrophobes around. ;-)
    Not at all Hugo. In another life a long time ago I was involved with very big batteries and fast charging was an imperative. The faster the better but there were plenty of challenges like heat, buckling of plates and rate of chemical conversion. I include a pic from that past life of some colleagues busy loading some of those big batteries. Each cell weighed over 500 kg. That black thing on the terminal post is the cell's filling cap. Their maximum charging rate was 2000 Amps continuous until they started gassing or certain voltages or temperatures were achieved and the rate had to be gradually reduced. Each cell had a capacity of 12 500 Ah. Shorting terminals with a spanner would instantly vaporise the spanner. So I have worn the T Shirt.

I'm not an electrophobe nor anti EV. I am anti sensation and anti BS engineering.

Name:  38392256_1900539783300094_2275628043135352832_o.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  50.7 KB
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2021/01/22 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

On another post we were talking about the negative of lithium not being able to work at under 0 degrees. Small design change and now heaters are fitted. The link mentions temp can go to 60. Even in our temp cooling could be added. Who knows what other tech would be introduced in order to off set high temperatures.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/01/22 at 06:34 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Turns out, charging LiFePO4 batteries at higher temps (around 60 deg C) is actually better for their lifespan:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...icles-cheaper/

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Not at all Hugo. In another life a long time ago I was involved with very big batteries and fast charging was an imperative. The faster the better but there were plenty of challenges like heat, buckling of plates and rate of chemical conversion. I include a pic from that past life of some colleagues busy loading some of those big batteries. Each cell weighed over 500 kg. That black thing on the terminal post is the cell's filling cap. Their maximum charging rate was 2000 Amps continuous until they started gassing or certain voltages or temperatures were achieved and the rate had to be gradually reduced. Each cell had a capacity of 12 500 Ah. Shorting terminals with a spanner would instantly vaporise the spanner. So I have worn the T Shirt.

I'm not an electrophobe nor anti EV. I am anti sensation and anti BS engineering.

Name:  38392256_1900539783300094_2275628043135352832_o.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  50.7 KB
    I have an interest in a business that provides lionbrix, from a company that provides lionbrix for that application They now consist of 18650 batteries in packs to make up the complete battery.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post: