Default DC DC charger with solar input. Victron

Hi All

I want to go Lithium on my second battery and hence the need for a DC DC charger. I was thinking of the Victron 12-30 and I already have a Victron 75-15 solar regulator. Could I use these two in combination without stuffing it up or having the one fool the other with respect to reference voltages for float/absorbtion ext.

Happy to discuss this one openly, please advise.

G

Default Re: DC DC charger with solar input. Victron

Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Hi All

I want to go Lithium on my second battery and hence the need for a DC DC charger. I was thinking of the Victron 12-30 and I already have a Victron 75-15 solar regulator. Could I use these two in combination without stuffing it up or having the one fool the other with respect to reference voltages for float/absorbtion ext.

Happy to discuss this one openly, please advise.

G
    I presume if both are connected to the same battery bank, that both will have identical settings ito Bulk/Absorb and Float?
    If so, then there will be no "argument". :-)

The MPPT only works when there are panels connected, right?
    The Victron 12-30 I presume only works when the vehicle is running?
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

My below discussion wrt Victron may be of value to you. I now run a 200AH LiFePo4 battery, the 30A Orion-Tr Smart and 75/15 MPPT same time, no issues so far. I do run the BMV-712 as well to have real-time status of what's happening. This was money very well spent.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-setup-change
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    I presume if both are connected to the same battery bank, that both will have identical settings ito Bulk/Absorb and Float?
    If so, then there will be no "argument". :-)

The MPPT only works when there are panels connected, right?
    The Victron 12-30 I presume only works when the vehicle is running?
    Yes, but this happens at the same time quite often. Still, as you, and the next post mentioned, should not be a problem.

G

This won't be a problem, just be sure to set both the Orion smart and MPPT to lithium mode and also the correct bulk and float voltages for your specific battery.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Just a stupid question. Is there a need to charge say 30A from a DC-DC charger to still add the 75/15 from PV as well? I would have thought 30A is enough to replace the power used during the night from the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Just a stupid question. Is there a need to charge say 30A from a DC-DC charger to still add the 75/15 from PV as well? I would have thought 30A is enough to replace the power used during the night from the batteries.
    Yeah, no need for the PV at all, except when you don't start your car for 3 days.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Yeah, no need for the PV at all, except when you don't start your car for 3 days.
    OK. I thought in that case the 75/15 should charge enough. Not driving for 3 days I take it the 2 chargers will still not be used at the same time.

Oh, they will work together on occasion, my panels are permanently on the roof when traveling off road, but thats also why the 75 15 is more than enough.
    The 75 15 keeps my whole show on the road while camping ( 110ah system with 50l fridge, night lights and lots of camera battery charging via an inverter. 2 x 120 panels in series. ) It's just 2 of us and luckily i don't need to drip feed on beer. i figure a 80 or 100 ah Lithium would be the dogs bollocks.
    And then I went and read a thread about building your own battery. HOO boy why do they do this to us.
    G

G