Bike trailer topbox for luggage etc

Question Bike trailer topbox for luggage etc

I have a 2 bike trailer and I am keen to get a big topbox to fit on the load bed rather than buy a new venter trailer. My aim is to be able to pack it like a venter trailer when we go on holiday as the car is getting too full. Is there anybody out there that can make like a fibreglass bin or have a plastic bin that could screw onto the bottom. I have attached an image to show for the size with a bike on top for reference. I am not planning to get it right away but I think sometime this year and I just want to get some ideas and options and find out if it can be done and made up and approx cost. A new trailer is about R13k. i know second hand is much cheaper but I would prefer to have 1 trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Toyota Fortuner 3lD 4x4 Stick Shift

Default Re: Bike trailer topbox for luggage etc

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    I have a 2 bike trailer and I am keen to get a big topbox to fit on the load bed rather than buy a new venter trailer. My aim is to be able to pack it like a venter trailer when we go on holiday as the car is getting too full. Is there anybody out there that can make like a fibreglass bin or have a plastic bin that could screw onto the bottom. I have attached an image to show for the size with a bike on top for reference. I am not planning to get it right away but I think sometime this year and I just want to get some ideas and options and find out if it can be done and made up and approx cost. A new trailer is about R13k. i know second hand is much cheaper but I would prefer to have 1 trailer.
    I have seen a similar trailer here in PE. All the guy did was fit a solid bottom and sides. He then added the Securi-lid type lockable roll-top cover.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

I think I misread.

Roll top for that size is going to put you back probably R15-20k. It will be a elegant solution though.

Why not build a frame with Aluminium and connect-it fittings and cover with checkered plate

What about the extension boxes that fit on a venter trailer?
    You get them in 1.5, 1.8, 2.1m long.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/01/21 at 11:20 AM.

We did this, worked really well. Had a bag made out of heavy duty tarpaulin to the size of the trailer. At the time I paid about a grand for it. Tall enough for two ammo boxes and it sucked up all the mattresses tents, chairs tables, food, everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I investigated the same thing about a year ago and ended up buying a 2nd hand luggage trailer.

I could not get the cost lower than buying a 2nd hand luggage trailer for what I wanted on my bike trailer

I had this dilemma. My solution was to buy large plastic boxes which I strapped to the trailer. Worked well. The boxes are strong, nothing like a "Plasticland, big jim made in China box".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	603024
    A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?