Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to remove iron fallout from paint?

What is available to get iron industrial fallout particles off vehicle paintwork?

Ideally easily available, I found some options online but ideally I want to buy something this morning to clean my paint. Only thing I could find locally is the Meguiars iron off product but at R700 a bottle no thanks. I'm in Cape Town southern suburbs so there are a few auto spares places around.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/01/02 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: How to remove iron fallout from paint?

Copied and pasted

Citric acid helps precipitation of iron by ammonia by forming a complex with it. – Ammonia + Citric Acid + Thioglycolic Acid + Iron reacts to form ferric thioglycolate, which is red/purple in colour (Hence the ‘bleeding’ effect.). Thioglycolic acid helps to oxidize iron (II) to iron (III). – Accelerates oxidation process turning wustite (Mineral found in iron ore) into ferric oxide (rust) very quickly. This is a controlled corrosion process, or essentially, acid pickling. Ammonia to make solution alkaline – Adding an alkaline to the thioglycolic acid makes it very nearly pH-neutral in solution (In the bottle), until it contacts iron when an acidic reaction will start to take place, lowering the pH of the product in use.

Read the original article at: https://www.detailingwiki.org/decont.../#How_it_works

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Burnishing compound from you nearest automotive paint supplier and a bit of elbow grease.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What is available to get iron industrial fallout particles off vehicle paintwork?

Ideally easily available, I found some options online but ideally I want to buy something this morning to clean my paint. Only thing I could find locally is the Meguiars iron off product but at R700 a bottle no thanks. I'm in Cape Town southern suburbs so there area few auto spares places around.
    Were you parked downwind from a shot blasting operation in a dockyard? Beware of parking downwind of ship hull spray painting too. Luckily my car was polished and the paint dots came off easily but the windscreen and other windows were a mission.

Last edited by Jeeves; 2021/01/02 at 06:05 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeves For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Burnishing compound from you nearest automotive paint supplier and a bit of elbow grease.
    Ideally you don't want to polish it off or use mechanical means other than a clay bar, the iron particles will score the paint in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Were you parked downwind from a shot blasting operation in a dockyard? Beware of parking downwind of ship hull spray painting too. Luckily my car was polished and the paint dots came off easily but the windscreen and other windows were a mission.
    It was parked in a shipyard, it's mainly iron particles but quite heavy in some areas.

I found some good stuff for the job from Liqui Moly but can only collect it on monday, I was hoping to do the job this weekend.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

It turns out just about any good quality wheel cleaner that has the iron removing additives(they typically change colour when reacting with the iron to either red or purple) can be used all over a vehicle.

Some options are Meguiars Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner, expensive at R350 for 700ml: https://www.meguiars.co.za/product/u...wheel-cleaner/

The one I'm getting which is very well priced is Liqui Moly Rim Cleaner (1L) R195 at Builders:
    https://www.builders.co.za/Automotiv...00000000720392
    https://shop.liqui-moly.co.za/rim-cleaner-435602.html

Naturally it being Builders their website shows 6 in stock and when I went to the store none in stock, so Monday when I'm on my rounds I have to drive out a bit further to get some.

Naturally it being Builders their website shows 6 in stock and when I went to the store none in stock, so Monday when I'm on my rounds I have to drive out a bit further to get some.
    Try MAKRO and Game, part of the same Group, lots of cross-over.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Try MAKRO and Game, part of the same Group, lots of cross-over.
    I looked, not listed on either of their websites

Another possibility is Karcher Rim Cleaner R169 for 500ml:
    https://www.makro.co.za/hardware-aut...00000269393_EA
    Although it says it changes colour when it's done I'm not 100% sure it has the iron removing properties

I operate a side line vehicle detailing business from home, located in the southern suburbs, Cape Town. You can use either an Iron X contaminant remover... (spray onto the paint and then the iron particles normally turn purple after a few minutes) or... we often make use of the clay bar method to remove all paint surface contaminants... we then polish the paint the remove light scratches and swirls and then seal it with either with a Meguairs pro sealer which lasts for around 4 months or we offer imported Ethos ceramic wax sealer from the States, which should last for around 8 to 10months on your paints surface, provided it is washed with a high quality PH balanced car shampoo.. feel free to message me if you don’t come right.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brownpine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
    I operate a side line vehicle detailing business from home, located in the southern suburbs, Cape Town. You can use either an Iron X contaminant remover... (spray onto the paint and then the iron particles normally turn purple after a few minutes) or... we often make use of the clay bar method to remove all paint surface contaminants... we then polish the paint the remove light scratches and swirls and then seal it with either with a Meguairs pro sealer which lasts for around 4 months or we offer imported Ethos ceramic wax sealer from the States, which should last for around 8 to 10months on your paints surface, provided it is washed with a high quality PH balanced car shampoo.. feel free to message me if you don’t come right.
    I'm not in your area, but what would a rough cost for this be?

I have quite a bit of grinding fallout on my car. I've used an entire bottle of Angel Wax Fallout Remover. It went red and I waited a good 5 minutes before giving it a wash. Better, but still quite a bit of iron in the paint. Next stop is one of the decent detailers around here, but I'd like to know what kind of rough cost I'm in for first.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Luckily I remembered GoldWagen does a lot of the Liqui Moly range and it turns out they have just started stocking the Liqui Moly Rim Cleaner (1L) and its cheaper than Builders at R175.

It does work but you need to apply it multiple times and agitate it, it still doesn't remove all of it, you need to finish with a clay bar unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    I'm not in your area, but what would a rough cost for this be?

I have quite a bit of grinding fallout on my car. I've used an entire bottle of Angel Wax Fallout Remover. It went red and I waited a good 5 minutes before giving it a wash. Better, but still quite a bit of iron in the paint. Next stop is one of the decent detailers around here, but I'd like to know what kind of rough cost I'm in for first.
    Get a clay bar(around R150 per bar, one will do a full vehicle and then some, just don't drop it) and do it yourself if you have the time and inclination.
    It's quite an enjoyable task seeing how clean you paint looks and how nice it comes out, its like a giant eraser that you run all over the paint and it picks up any contamination incl iron fallout.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Due to a brain fart I managed to get some bad industrial fall out on my white platkar.
    Some polish masked it slightly but the embedded metal was clearly visible in daylight.

Got this clay bar kit from Start my car..

I bought 2 kits and some hand cleaner to get free shipping. With very little elbow grease the surface is smoother than a baby's bottom. I sealed it with Meguires wax afterwards.

I would highly recommend this.

https://www.startmycar.co.za/product...=1103590064153

Name:  IMG_20210125_181822.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2021/01/25 at 07:15 PM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

I got a chance today to use the Liqui Moly Rim Cleaner. I first rinsed the car, let it dry slightly and sprayed the rim cleaner on, spreading it with a wash brush, I did the whole car and then left it for 5mins.
    Then I took a microfire wash mitt and gently washed the panels that were now drenched in Rim Cleaner, to further agitate and loosen the iron fall out.

The end result was a noticeable difference, it's a white car and it looked extra nice and sparkly white afterwards, all but the deeply embedded iron fallout was removed.
    I then cleaned the remaining fall out with a clay bar and the end result looked fantastic!

The 1L bottle will go a long way, I drenched an entire hatchback incl wheels and the bottle seemed barely dented.

If anyone reading this has never used a clay bar before I highly recommend it, it makes your paint pop like its brand new, very satisfying results.
    A clay bar also makes you realise that without using one your paint is never actually "clean", it's really the foundation of paint maintenance, even a top notch polish can't achieve what a clay bar can.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

To add to the claybar advice.

ChrisFix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXfSBR5Q9w

I got a chance today to use the Liqui Moly Rim Cleaner. I first rinsed the car, let it dry slightly and sprayed the rim cleaner on, spreading it with a wash brush, I did the whole car and then left it for 5mins.
    Then I took a microfire wash mitt and gently washed the panels that were now drenched in Rim Cleaner, to further agitate and loosen the iron fall out.

The end result was a noticeable difference, it's a white car and it looked extra nice and sparkly white afterwards, all but the deeply embedded iron fallout was removed.
    I then cleaned the remaining fall out with a clay bar and the end result looked fantastic!

The 1L bottle will go a long way, I drenched an entire hatchback incl wheels and the bottle seemed barely dented.

If anyone reading this has never used a clay bar before I highly recommend it, it makes your paint pop like its brand new, very satisfying results.
    A clay bar also makes you realise that without using one your paint is never actually "clean", it's really the foundation of paint maintenance, even a top notch polish can't achieve what a clay bar can.
    Just seal the paint again with a good wax.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

It's worth spending a bit and getting some Turtle Wax to polish and seal.....you won't be sorry!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    It's worth spending a bit and getting some Turtle Wax to polish and seal.....you won't be sorry!!
    Why Turtle wax in particular?

I have been using Sonax and Meguiars wax, I use the spray wax as it's so easy to apply, I just apply it more often.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast