Default Conservation series in Mozambique - Contacts?

Hi guys, This forum is such an incredible resource, so I am hoping there are some people on here that have some contacts to help us. Obviously everything is Covid dependent, but we are hoping to start mid March, but are prepared to push back by a further month if necessary. We are looking to do a South to North (not the whole way north for obvious reasons) Mozambique overlanding and conservation trip.We want to travel as much of Mozambique as possible, and tell conservation stories for our YouTube channel, that bring some exposure to what I think is one of the most under estimated African destinations. Marine and Terrestrial conservation stories. Our focus is on the dedicated conservationists that often fly below the main stream media's radar.Other than starting in Ponta De Oura and ending in Gorongosa, we have no set itinerary and will plan according to stories that are worth telling. We have set aside 4 months to do the trip. If you know of any interesting conservation stories that are worth telling please let us know? Main stream or completely obscure. Also any lodges/resorts/camp sites that may be open to trade exchanges, as we are working on a very tight budget. Thanks in advance, Tim Hulme [email protected]
    Last edited by Tim Hulme; 2021/01/20 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spacing
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Default Re: Conservation YouTube series in Mozambique - Contacts?

Tim,

If hunting forms part of your conservation story then you need look no further than Zambeze Delta Safaris operating in the Zambezi Delta area. Get hold of the owner Mark Haldane (he lives in KZN) and listen to their story of how they rehabilitated that area - it's fascinating.

https://www.zambezedeltasafaris.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Tim,

If hunting forms part of your conservation story then you need look no further than Zambeze Delta Safaris operating in the Zambezi Delta area. Get hold of the owner Mark Haldane (he lives in KZN) and listen to their story of how they rehabilitated that area - it's fascinating.

Thanks Rob, I will get in touch. Some people still really don't like hearing that hunting can be good for conservation though!

Anyone with Marine conservation contacts?

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Zinave would be one of my destinations if only to see the impact of this https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...moving-giants/

There are campsites in the reserve but getting hold of someone to confirm or book is not so easy, good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

PM sent
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Tim,

This story I also follow from day one. Would like to go and fly there with my microlight. And yes, hunters are some of the most dedicated wildlife conservationists! The only issue is the location of the Zambezi delta... It is well North of the Save river.
    For the ones new to Moz. The country can be divided in 3 main areas : South, Central and North.
    1. South Africa to Save river.
    2. Save to Zambezi river.
    3. Zambezi to Tanzania/Ruvuma river.
    Only 1. is really safe
    Last edited by Gomario; 2021/01/23 at 03:46 AM.
    I love Mozambique!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    This story I also follow from day one. Would like to go and fly there with my microlight. And yes, hunters are some of the most dedicated wildlife conservationists! The only issue is the location of the Zambezi delta... It is well North of the Save river.
    For the ones new to Moz. The country can be divided in 3 main areas : South, Central and North.
    1. South Africa to Save river.
    2. Save to Zambezi river.
    3. Zambezi to Tanzania/Ruvuma river.
    Only 1. is really safe
    Really safe in terms of? I got some reports from the ground and was told we can go as far as Pemba before really risking the islamic militants. We won't go that far, just up to Beira, and then hopefully inland to Gorongosa, then onto Tete, and then either North to Malawi or to Mana Pools depending on how much money I have left.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Zinave would be one of my destinations if only to see the impact of this https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...moving-giants/

There are campsites in the reserve but getting hold of someone to confirm or book is not so easy, good luck.
    Definitely on our list, hopefully we can get hold of the right people. I suddenly wish I could speak Portugese!

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Really safe in terms of? I got some reports from the ground and was told we can go as far as Pemba before really risking the islamic militants. We won't go that far, just up to Beira, and then hopefully inland to Gorongosa, then onto Tete, and then either North to Malawi or to Mana Pools depending on how much money I have left.
    Well, as much as I love Moz I won't post stuff in here which might endanger tourists and fellow country man (Germany). The thing with Zone 2 is not about Islamic militants. They only come in Zone 3 (far North) and is a fairly recent development. Zone 2 has a much older enemy in the form of Renamo splinter groups. As soon as you cross the Save river (to the North), you are on your own. A few years ago the Moz government used to have convoys, protected by Frelimo army soldiers. Gladly, I noticed that in the last year or two the issue has somewhat subsided but still, if you intend to cross the Save river and enter Zone 2, enquire first about the issue! Just my 2 cents...
    I love Mozambique!

Hi Tim

I love what you are doing and really hope this will help to get the Ideas going

As a resident in Southern Mozambique I got very well acquainted with the people on the coast from Ponta do Oura up to Santa Maria as I am a keen rock and surf, Kayak and jet ski fisherman

I would suggest you Contact the chief of Maritime to help you on your quest...(Can supply contact number)
    The marine reserve from Ponta do Oura up to Santa Maria is under his command and is really a nice person.
    At Ponta do Oura Markus owns and runs the charter and diving. Really good contact

Interesting places is Techo Banine ( Manuel Rodriques owns a lodge that is not in operation but will accommodate) with a very special reef under siege due the plans of a harbor at Ponta Dobella.
    Then of course the National elephant park that is being restocked with game and the Elephants that is still very traumatized due to the war.

Although the whole South coast is a Marine reserve but from Techo Banine up to Ponta Dobella is a no go total restricted marine reserve from shore 1 Nautiical mile in sea.

From Ponta Dobella, Ponta Mili Bangalala, Ponta Membene, Ponta Chemucane, Is nice places in the Natinal Elephnt park.
    Ponta Muchombe (Contacts Paul and Earl alias the GT King) and Ponta Abril is outside but also small conservancy area at Machungulo.
    Cycad bay very nice to see with the whole dune covered with Cycads.

Santa Maria (Hetta manages Bemgis) is a Jewel and Bemgis made it as pleasant as possible..really nice accommodation.

At Santa Maria is the well know Hells Gate where the whole Maputo bay empties and runs through a 150/200 m wide channel between Inhaca island and main land on low tide and vica verca on high tide.
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man