National Luna





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: National Luna

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 36

    Default National Luna

    Good evening.

    I have e National Luna fridges, 50 Twin and 2x90 Twins. Both 90s seem to have gas leaks and from what I have read it is not worth repairing. Also, already replaced both controllers at R4k a piece. The most recent one was past November.

    My confidence in NL has taken a fall but what else can one buy. I am not a fan of Snomaster and a 80 litre Engel is double the price of a NL.

    Do I go NL again? Is the 90 more prone for issues than the 72? Will probably miss the additional space of the 90... Not sure what to do though... Replacing both is a costly exercise...

    What can one ask for parts? Controllers and compressors are fine.
    Toyota Hilux V6, Tough Dog Suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank, Dual Battery, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

    Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,216
    Thanked: 910

    Default Re: National Luna

    NL is a good fridge. but, just buy that Snomaster - you will become an instant fan
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/01/19 at 10:18 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantia Kloof
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,222
    Thanked: 1711

    Default Re: National Luna

    If you don't think a Snomaster will work for you then maybe you should cry once and buy Engel. They are really, really good fridges. The oldest pair I know of were bought in 1996 and still work, my dad has a 2001 model he bought second hand that just keeps on going.

    The only complaint you will likely hear about Engel relates to the noisy compressor.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,040
    Thanked: 189

    Default Re: National Luna

    NL factory -they prime for good service ; I have had good service from them ; weekender got fixed while we waited in town shopping , then carried on the trip to KNP ; 90 l twin in the trailvan excellent performance thus far !

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    54
    Posts
    918
    Thanked: 659

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    NL is a good fridge. but, just buy that Snomaster - you will become an instant fan
    Agree.

    I was a little apprehensive when I upgraded from a 40l Engel to a 60l Snomaster but soon became a fan.

    I now have two Snomasters (60l and 85l) and I am very happy with them.

    National Luna, Engel, Snomaster and Dometic all make good quality fridges, shop around for good deals.

    I like that Snomaster's accessories (baskets, cover, remote control) are all included in their price. The remote control is a winner as is the 70mm isolation on their Expedition series.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    54
    Posts
    918
    Thanked: 659

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    If you don't think a Snomaster will work for you then maybe you should cry once and buy Engel. They are really, really good fridges. The oldest pair I know of were bought in 1996 and still work, my dad has a 2001 model he bought second hand that just keeps on going.

    The only complaint you will likely hear about Engel relates to the noisy compressor.
    Agree, and the price.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sandton JHB
    Age
    60
    Posts
    499
    Thanked: 118

    Default Re: National Luna

    Hi there
    I don't want to stir the pot, but what makes you believe that a NL fridge is not worth repairing??
    Take them straight to the Edenvale factory and at least get an opinion.

    As mentioned above, the chaps at the factory are a great bunch.


    Not punting NL especially, they are all good actually , but at what those 90's must have cost you, don't walk away.
    G
    Last edited by Gengis; 2021/01/20 at 08:21 AM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gengis For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,439
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: National Luna

    If it's a gas leak NL will probably offer you an entire new chassis at a very good price, you'll be able to repair both 90l's for less than the price of a new 40l.
    Initially I was a bit ticked off that they don't repair fridges down to gas leak level, but after giving it some thought I was actually quite impressed with the offer of an entire new chassis, especially at that price.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/01/20 at 01:18 PM.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermanus
    Age
    60
    Posts
    991
    Thanked: 526

    Default Re: National Luna

    I am a Snowmaster fan but also have no issues with my NL. My advice get a quote from NL you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    54
    Posts
    228
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: National Luna

    If you want a opinion from a 12 volt fridge repairs center call Casey Services 0836613348

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Hi there
    I don't want to stir the pot, but what makes you believe that a NL fridge is not worth repairing??
    Take them straight to the Edenvale factory and at least get an opinion.

    As mentioned above, the chaps at the factory are a great bunch.


    Not punting NL especially, they are all good actually , but at what those 90's must have cost you, don't walk away.
    G
    I have already spent R4000 on each so I am now hesitant to spend more and then have no warranty afterwards, hence considering to cut my losses and sell off the parts.

    I have mailed NL so am waiting for their response before I am making any moves. It is not that easy to pop into their factory from Durbanville...

    I don't have R48k to buy two 80 liter Engels, that is just ridiculous.

    I am considering SnoMaster though... Not in a big hurry so let's see what NL say...
    Toyota Hilux V6, Tough Dog Suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank, Dual Battery, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

    Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    nelspruit
    Age
    63
    Posts
    889
    Thanked: 241

    Default Re: National Luna

    Its pain full to spend that amount of money. Yourself must come to the point and say enough is enough there is no guarantee going forward.
    All manufacturers have embark on manufacture there own new compressors and controllers because of reliability . When buying a new one make sure its the latest model with their own equipment. When you get an unbelievable discounted special then you must know its not the latest its stock clearing. On the other hand you can be lucky and have good service for many years to come. If you invest in lotto this is a big game winns or loose

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,439
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    Its pain full to spend that amount of money. Yourself must come to the point and say enough is enough there is no guarantee going forward.
    All manufacturers have embark on manufacture there own new compressors and controllers because of reliability . When buying a new one make sure its the latest model with their own equipment. When you get an unbelievable discounted special then you must know its not the latest its stock clearing. On the other hand you can be lucky and have good service for many years to come. If you invest in lotto this is a big game winns or loose


    His problem isn't with the compressor, it's with a gas leak. In the new NL Legacy range with the new compressor, the chassis, gas piping etc. is the same as the classic range with the Danfoss compressors. Someone else I know of had the same problem a while back on a 60l and this was a Legacy using the new compressor.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    57
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    If it's a gas leak NL will probably offer you an entire new chassis at a very good price, you'll be able to repair both 90l's for less than the price of a new 40l.
    Initially I was a bit ticked off that they don't repair fridges down to gas leak level, but after giving it some thought I was actually quite impressed with the offer of an entire new chassis, especially at that price.
    Yep, had a leak on my 7yr old 90L Twin last year, they replaced the chassis, for around kR3, initial qoute was about kR5. I managed to negotiate down from kR5 to kR3 based on the fact that it was the 2nd leak in 7yrs, 1st was repaired under warranty.
    Gert v Vuuren
    2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D
    Wildebeest Offroad Trailer
    2009 VW Polo (Swambo)

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tentpen For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sandton JHB
    Age
    60
    Posts
    499
    Thanked: 118

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by JLuxV6 View Post
    I have already spent R4000 on each so I am now hesitant to spend more and then have no warranty afterwards, hence considering to cut my losses and sell off the parts.

    I have mailed NL so am waiting for their response before I am making any moves. It is not that easy to pop into their factory from Durbanville...

    I don't have R48k to buy two 80 liter Engels, that is just ridiculous.

    I am considering SnoMaster though... Not in a big hurry so let's see what NL say...
    Erm, yes, Durbanville, sorry, I take being 5 km away from NL and 3Km away from Snow master for granted. Still worth a last ditch go at NL IMHO

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Erm, yes, Durbanville, sorry, I take being 5 km away from NL and 3Km away from Snow master for granted. Still worth a last ditch go at NL IMHO
    Gengis thanks. Unfortunately we in CPT are a bit far from lots if manufacturers/suppliers. As said, I sent a mail to NL on Tuesday morning, still no reply. Makes me even more reluctant to buy NL again. Huge disappointment as I used to be a diehard fan of their products. Owning 3 of their fridges should have said enough...
    Toyota Hilux V6, Tough Dog Suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank, Dual Battery, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

    Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: National Luna

    No response to e-mails is pretty common in Mzansi.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: National Luna

    Believe it or not, got a response...

    So, in short the controllers' common issue is power surges which I agree to. Just in my case all of our electrical equipment runs off surge protected plugs so I doubt if that's case for me. Secondly, they quoted me R4373 per fridge to rebuild mine into brand new stainless chassis. That is of course excluding transport costs from Durbanville to JHB and back.

    So the question now is... is this worth it, keeping in mind that I have already spent about R4000 per fridge? I waiting to hear what kind of warranty they'll give but I supposed it might be on the chassis only. Do I go this route or do I cut my losses on these 2 and rather go for new ones with new warranties?

    Grateful for their response at least...
    Toyota Hilux V6, Tough Dog Suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank, Dual Battery, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

    Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: National Luna

    I do not know how old is your freezers but will go new if it is more than 5 years old. Why don't you contact a few repairers that do repairs on camping freezers in general and find out whether they do not have freezers that was left there due to the compressors that is faulty and then built your freezers into those chassis.


    2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,439
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: National Luna

    Quote Originally Posted by JLuxV6 View Post
    Believe it or not, got a response...

    So, in short the controllers' common issue is power surges which I agree to. Just in my case all of our electrical equipment runs off surge protected plugs so I doubt if that's case for me. Secondly, they quoted me R4373 per fridge to rebuild mine into brand new stainless chassis. That is of course excluding transport costs from Durbanville to JHB and back.

    So the question now is... is this worth it, keeping in mind that I have already spent about R4000 per fridge? I waiting to hear what kind of warranty they'll give but I supposed it might be on the chassis only. Do I go this route or do I cut my losses on these 2 and rather go for new ones with new warranties?

    Grateful for their response at least...


    Try to negotiate a bit to get those prices down, it's 2 fridges, it's not your first issue in how many years with these fridges, usually they are open to some negotiation. As far as I remember they do give you a 6 month warranty on the new chassis, or it could be on the workmanship, can't quite remember.

    My opinion, even if the repair cost stays at R4300 each, there's no way you'll get 2 new or even second hand fridges of similar capacity, NL or other brand for R8600. Personally I'd go with the NL offer to repair, unless you've got R20k odd to burn on new fridges.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •