4x4 vehicle insurance cover for travelling outside South Africa?

Question 4x4 vehicle insurance cover for travelling outside South Africa?

I have bought a Toyota 79 and Bushlapa Rattel 4i with the intention of using them to tour SA and adjacent countries over a fair proportion of the year in the next few years (post-Covid); however, I have come across a problem regarding insurance given the differences (which I did not expect) between SA car insurance and those I am familiar with in Europe. The main problem is that the SA broker working on obtaining quotes has recommended MUA or Vantage, but both have exclusions for vehicle cover outside of SA for more than 90 days in a year and a maximum of 30 days per any one trip outside SA. Are there insurance companies with policies friendlier to those doing longer 4x4 trips or does one always have to return to SA at the end of 30 days and also restrict travel to 90 days abroad in a year? I am wondering if my broker simply doesn't have a lot of experience with the needs of 4x4 travellers? I would find it difficult to believe that no one in the 4x4 community has come across this limitation as a problem so I'm hoping for some good advice.

Also, I need to lay up both vehicles when not in SA (which I can do in secure storage) and so having a discounted "laid up" insurance rate for this would be an advantage.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Default Re: 4x4 vehicle insurance cover for travelling outside South Africa?

'07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post: