Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 Bus Dilemma

Default 4x4 Bus Dilemma

So here it is:

Current: Sold my trusty D4-D 4x4 (Full service history with Toyota) and need to finalize it's replacement.
    Reason: 3rd one on the way. Need the space.
    Dilemma: This past December I knew would be my last trip, so thought nice and long, as one does when traveling through our beautiful country.

I came to the following conclusion:

• We need a car without a center console. Look we really enjoy traveling and the kids are easy to sort out once my wife is in the back (current ages 3 & 1), but for her to get to the back is always a mission over the center console and then when the 3rd one arrives there won't be any place for her to sit.
    • We need a 4x4. As on this last trip, I normally find myself in a spot where I need 4x4 to get out. Nothing hectic, but don't see myself living without 4x4 and would probably need to leave this 4x4 Forum if I don't have one

This boils down to only one option:
    VW Transporter, SWB (preferably), BiTdi (preferably), 4motion

I know the latest Torneo and Sprinter comes as an AWD, but I don't have the bucks for a 2020/21 model.

The Delica from Mitsubishi is awesome, but can't register them in RSA

Current Sprinters, need an aftermarket 4x4 conversion (oberaigner) - plus not sure they will be as light on fuel as the VW.

Don't need the serious 4x4 of the Iveco Daily, just to be able to get out of the mud or drive on soft sand.

Will do Bots and more hectic 4x4 once again when the kids are older.

I don't like to be forced into one corner (have to buy an expensive german car), but don't see any other option??

I might miss something, please advise, what should I do, what other car should I look at?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goonrider For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 4x4 Bus Dilemma

Agree, there is nothing quite like the VW bus. The problem is they are not very good value for money - you don't get a lot of car for all your money. The Caravelle is highly over priced (IMHO) and the Transporter is just a panel van with more seats. (Coming from a Toy that might not be too much of an issue for you, though )

When we were in a similar situation a few years back we decided to rather get a Disco 4. Similar price second hand to a Caravelle of the same age and km, but you get much much more. The kids are usually happy to all sit in the second row. They are clipped into their safety seats anyway. The 3 y/o will be able to play host(ess) to the others very soon, so no need to have mommy between them anyway.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata

"I often wonder what it must be like to be so strong, infallible, articulate, self-content .... and wrong."
    - Pam Ayres

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

Yup... not too many options outside of what you mention.

That said, and after the last 4 double cabs and 2 SUVís, the family and I have had no regrets after making the same move you are considering.

They are not cheap, no. A new one is a unicorn at the moment if that is what you are after. They improve significantly off the beaten trail with a few mods, but as a family adventure vehicle, I find the smiles they bring hard to beat. Much fun.

Good Afternoon, I have a 2014 Kombi 75kw SWB Trendline. You wont be sorry if you get the 4motion transporter.(Unfortunately you will still regret selling your Fortuner i sold mine in 2017 and i still regret selling it.)

Did a trip in December of around 3500km down to the cape and west coast. 4 adults, 2 twins (4yrs old). Towed a venter Trailer and in the bus i had all of us + two 35 litre fridges in the boot.
    I managed to get 960km on a tank from Augrabies to Radiokop in Roodepoort via Alberton to drop off our friends that went with so for me the bus is economical.

What i can suggest is if you do get a Transporter and if you are in a position to buy a new one. Try see if they offer the Arm rest option for the driver and passenger seat, the Kombi only has the driver side and when i sat passenger during the trip i missed the armrests.They make the drive more comfortable.
    There are also aftermarket import options for the arm rests.

What i've read and responses form others on this forum is the Transporter 4motions are very capable of going off road and there are a few suspension options for them.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...19#post4073519

This seems very nice and is close to you:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...bitdi/25871077.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    This seems very nice and is close to you:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...bitdi/25871077.
    Thanks, I have been checking everywhere, don't know how I missed this one.

Will give it a look, just not to crazy about the auto box

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Agree, there is nothing quite like the VW bus. The problem is they are not very good value for money - you don't get a lot of car for all your money. The Caravelle is highly over priced (IMHO) and the Transporter is just a panel van with more seats. (Coming from a Toy that might not be too much of an issue for you, though )

When we were in a similar situation a few years back we decided to rather get a Disco 4. Similar price second hand to a Caravelle of the same age and km, but you get much much more. The kids are usually happy to all sit in the second row. They are clipped into their safety seats anyway. The 3 y/o will be able to play host(ess) to the others very soon, so no need to have mommy between them anyway.
    Thx, I have thought about it, but still feels a bit like an overkill (i.t.o. off road capability) for what we need now. In the 5 years I owned the Hilux, we rarely required its full off road potential.

I will miss the low range!

But agree, they are crazily over priced for what you actually get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Willemse View Post
    Yup... not too many options outside of what you mention.

That said, and after the last 4 double cabs and 2 SUVís, the family and I have had no regrets after making the same move you are considering.

They are not cheap, no. A new one is a unicorn at the moment if that is what you are after. They improve significantly off the beaten trail with a few mods, but as a family adventure vehicle, I find the smiles they bring hard to beat. Much fun.
    Yes, everyone I speak to who owns one swears by them.

Quote Originally Posted by goonrider View Post
    Thanks, I have been checking everywhere, don't know how I missed this one.

Will give it a look, just not to crazy about the auto box
    Believe me, it is way better than the one in the D4-D Frotuna.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpentz View Post
    Good Afternoon, I have a 2014 Kombi 75kw SWB Trendline. You wont be sorry if you get the 4motion transporter.(Unfortunately you will still regret selling your Fortuner i sold mine in 2017 and i still regret selling it.)

Did a trip in December of around 3500km down to the cape and west coast. 4 adults, 2 twins (4yrs old). Towed a venter Trailer and in the bus i had all of us + two 35 litre fridges in the boot.
    I managed to get 960km on a tank from Augrabies to Radiokop in Roodepoort via Alberton to drop off our friends that went with so for me the bus is economical.

What i can suggest is if you do get a Transporter and if you are in a position to buy a new one. Try see if they offer the Arm rest option for the driver and passenger seat, the Kombi only has the driver side and when i sat passenger during the trip i missed the armrests.They make the drive more comfortable.
    There are also aftermarket import options for the arm rests.

What i've read and responses form others on this forum is the Transporter 4motions are very capable of going off road and there are a few suspension options for them.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...19#post4073519
    Thanks Craig,

that does sound very economical! what speeds were you traveling? Is the 75kW sufficient? Sounds like it. I found I could have done with a few more horses on the Hilux (also towed a small trailer this Dec) and that's why I thought to rather look at the BiTDI, but that does bring in more stuff that can go wrong.

Would really have loved a 4x4 Quantum, but all I can find on it was the guys in Aus doing a 4x4 mod for R500k

I think the 4motion with the Seikel kit should be fine for where we need to go now. Just worried about cost if things go pear shaped. There was a forum post on the VW Transporter D/C and the list of stuff he had to do on it, it was a long list and expensive...

Sorry i thought U had a Fortuner. We travelled between 120-130 where we could on the open roads. i also tow a Gypsey Rapier and i get 10km/L on it and also tow around 110km. when it comes to uphills the 75kw is a bit weak when you are loaded but otherwise its sufficient and its only a 5speed, the 103kw onwards the manual and the DSG are 6 speed boxes and to my knowledge the 75kw isnt available in 4motion, when i visit my parents in Winklespruit coming back u van Reenens i hardly drop to 3rd. i think from the 103kw its the same motors as the Amarok so it will be a good start to check their engine issues. i saw a few complaints about the EGR system leaking and failing which is a bit of an expensive exercise. My Bus is already on 230k on the clock and i've had it since 160k. no mechanical issues so far all i had to replace the control arm bushes about a year ago. The replacements from Goldwagen are pretty cheap and actually more robust in my opinion.

Would really have loved a 4x4 Quantum, but all I can find on it was the guys in Aus doing a 4x4 mod for R500k ....
    Exactly that. Two front teeth to be given for such a Van
    ZS1ETphonehome

Thx, I have thought about it, but still feels a bit like an overkill (i.t.o. off road capability) for what we need now. ....
    I suspect 80% of D4's never go off road.

Not that I am trying to convince you - just helping you consider all the compromises. I am actually comparing the two again now. The current Disco is getting older and the boys' shoulders are getting broader, so a Kombi is looking better again...
    Last edited by JanB; 2021/01/19 at 10:11 PM.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata

"I often wonder what it must be like to be so strong, infallible, articulate, self-content .... and wrong."
    - Pam Ayres

I made the switch to my Bush bus and still enjoy it immensely!

If you are looking at anything younger than 2010 then the VW busses in SA are all 2.0l diesel versions. Only the 103kw and 132kw versions come with 4motion and I have not seen a 132kw version in manual. I think the 103kw versions might be available in manual in SA. The auto DSG box is actually a dream to drive so I would actually rather go fot an auto.

With 3 kids it is a no brainer.

CATSName:  IMG_20200927_172605_538.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  69.4 KB
    Last edited by Cats; 2021/01/19 at 10:52 PM.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    I made the switch to my Bush bus and still enjoy it immensely!

If you are looking at anything younger than 2010 then the VW busses in SA are all 2.0l diesel versions. Only the 103kw and 132kw versions come with 4motion and I have not seen a 132kw version in manual. I think the 103kw versions might be available in manual in SA. The auto DSG box is actually a dream to drive so I would actually rather go fot an auto.

With 3 kids it is a no brainer.

CATSName:  IMG_20200927_172605_538.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  69.4 KB
    Thanks CATS, your bus looks amazing!

You do actually get the manual BiTDI, had a look at a local one and my friend also has one.

My Hilux was also auto, nothing wrong with the box, smooth as butter on a typical Durban summers day, but what frustrated me was the lack of engine braking. The "1st" gear didn't really slow down enough. I know the Tiguans do have hill decent assist, but not sure of the Bus?

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    I suspect 80% of D4's never go off road.

Not that I am trying to convince you - just helping you consider all the compromises. I am actually comparing the two again now. The current Disco is getting older and the boys' shoulders are getting broader, so a Kombi is looking better again...
    You see! You almost had me convinced...

Just wish there was a Jap 4x4 Bus alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by craigpentz View Post
    Sorry i thought U had a Fortuner. We travelled between 120-130 where we could on the open roads. i also tow a Gypsey Rapier and i get 10km/L on it and also tow around 110km. when it comes to uphills the 75kw is a bit weak when you are loaded but otherwise its sufficient and its only a 5speed, the 103kw onwards the manual and the DSG are 6 speed boxes and to my knowledge the 75kw isnt available in 4motion, when i visit my parents in Winklespruit coming back u van Reenens i hardly drop to 3rd. i think from the 103kw its the same motors as the Amarok so it will be a good start to check their engine issues. i saw a few complaints about the EGR system leaking and failing which is a bit of an expensive exercise. My Bus is already on 230k on the clock and i've had it since 160k. no mechanical issues so far all i had to replace the control arm bushes about a year ago. The replacements from Goldwagen are pretty cheap and actually more robust in my opinion.
    Thanks Craig, nice to get some actual owner feedback with detail.

From what I could gather online: Stay away from the models pre 2011 (there were ones that were fine, but was luck of the draw). From 2012 on wards they changed the EGR, should look for "Version D" stamped on the EGR. Synopsis was that the EGR corroded and the fillings landed in the cylinders and started to wear them causing high oil consumption. Solution = engine replacement

...but what frustrated me was the lack of engine braking. The "1st" gear didn't really slow down enough. I know the Tiguans do have hill decent assist, but not sure of the Bus?
    A torque converter does not transfer much engine braking to the gearbox, unless you can cause it to lock up (which I believe can be done by aftermarket control modules in some gearboxes).
    However, the DSG box doesn't have a torque converter, it has two normal clutches. Thus, it should transfer all the engine's braking to the gearbox.
    But the amount of engine braking available has got nothing to do with the power output of the engine, it is pretty much directly proportional to the engine's displacement. Thus, modern cars which have relatively small engines in which the power output is provided mostly by boost don't have nearly the same amount of engine braking that the older, larger engines produced.

Thus, assume that you will need to use the brakes on steep downhills.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Thanks Peter, unfortunate assumption, but most likely true

23. The Following User Says Thank You to goonrider For This Useful Post:

You do actually get the manual BiTDI, had a look at a local one and my friend also has one.
    Interesting. Is his 4motion and 132kw manual? I must admit I only saw DSG ones when I was looking.

Having said that I think the DSG is actually great. Engine braking is OK as it is not a normal auto but a dual clutch auto. But yes the 2 liter engine can only keep back so much weight before it starts revving out. Still it is pretty good.

One thing you need to make peace with is that it is no robot racer. That 2 liter needs the turbo spinning before something happens. But then again it is a BUS we are talking of here.

CATS
    Last edited by Cats; 2021/01/20 at 03:07 PM.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast