Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Namibia trip advice

I am planning a trip to Namibia (first time) for next June/July. Travelling from Cape Town and have say 15/16 days and will have 2 children (5 and 7) plus another family - 2 4x4s.

Thinking of starting at Ai-Ais and defintely want to include Sesriem and Etosha. Will skip Luderitz. Anyone got any good trip advice of what to include and number of nights required? Plan on camping most of the way with the odd lodge...

Am also interested in knowing whether going up as far as Caprivi is possible in that time or is it just too far? If I went up that far I could return via Bots all the way down to Cape Town.

Thanks
    Last edited by tcar; 2009/05/02 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tcar

I reckon you would comfortably get to Etosha in that time, but if you do a Caprivi trip then it might feel like an awful long time in the car for your kids. You certainly can't do justice to Botswana in a trip of that length. My advice would be to save the Caprivi/ Botswana trip for next year...........everyone needs something to look forward to!

Don't miss Spitzkop.....its a great place for kids because you can scramble around on the rocks (Bushman's Paradise?, I think its called). If Ai Ais is open, make sure you go for a long, early walk up the canyon/ riverbed from the campsite. You'll have the place to yourself, and it is really nice. I really wouldn't bother with Swakopmund.........I know that is controversial around here, but I thought it was a windy, concrete, soul-less place. We also though Kolmanskop was just wonderful, but it may be a bit out of your way if you aren't going to Luderitz.

You might also enjoy the engravings at Twyfelfontein.

Hope this helps!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

I am planning a trip during the exact same period next year. Also with kids. I definately plan to go back to Luderitz. I did a three day trip in the restrited area south of Luderitz with a tour giude and am going back for more. You can only do it with a one of a few registered tour poerators. Kolmanskop is fantastic and I will stop by next year again.

Good luck.
    '05 Nissan Patrol 4.8L GRX
    '13 Conqueror Companion

2007: JHB-London by motorbike. 16000km, 39 days
    2014: JHB-Nairobi-JHB. 13000km, 90 days

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."

I am also thinking of the richtersveld at the same time.
    '05 Nissan Patrol 4.8L GRX
    '13 Conqueror Companion

2007: JHB-London by motorbike. 16000km, 39 days
    2014: JHB-Nairobi-JHB. 13000km, 90 days

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."

Thanks. Thought Caprivi may be a bit far to go in such a short time with the children. Need to work out a way to get back down from Etosha without retracing my tracks! May also need to relook at Luderitz.

Smile Lucky You

You might just as well do Luderits,Kolmanskop and then work your way up further north. I would go past Swakopmund, Henties and then from there go to the Brandberg, you can camp at the White Lady Lodge - family of the famous Sarra de Jager. from there you could work your way up to Outjo, then go through the Etosha and then Tsumeb and then back down to Windhoek. Go and have a meal at Joe's Beerhouse in Windhoek. You will however have to retrace your tracks back to Capetown from there, as there is no other way back.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Robbie 8)

Default Possible Route

Having spent the weekend looking at the alternatives we have come up with the following possible route through Namibia.
    Night 1/2 - Ai Ais (2 nights)
    Night 3/4 - Sesriem (Sesriem Camp site) (2 nights)
    Night 5 - Solitaire (1 night somewhere)
    Night 6/7 - Swakop (2 nights - chalet somewhere)
    Night 8 - Spitzkop via Henties (1 night - Spitzkop camp site)
    Night 9/10 - Twyfelfontein (2 nights - Aba Huab camp site)
    Night 11 - 16 - Etosha (2 nights at each camp)
    Night 17 - Somewhere close to Windhoek (Chalet?)
    Night 18 - Fish River/Border (Chalet?)

Any thoughts - too little/much time anywhere or possible camp sites at each place?

i found getting information on self catering difficult for Swakop last year. We eventually used:

http://www.nels-estates.com.na/swako...ommodation.htm

They were very helpful and accommodation recommended was very good. For info we stayed in reference number C8.

If you haven't fixed it with duct tape you haven't used enough!

Vehicle details: OME suspension kit 400kg, long rank tank 150lt, 70lt water tank, drawer system, duel battery, snorkel, roof top tent, roof rack, fitting air compressor, double spare wheel carrier, sand tracks, NL 70lt

Default Abiqua or Ai-Ais?

For the Fish River Canyon and surrounds(2 night stop), would you recommend Ai-Ais or Abiqua?

Quote Originally Posted by tcar View Post
    I am planning a trip to Namibia (first time) for next June/July. Travelling from Cape Town and have say 15/16 days and will have 2 children (5 and 7) plus another family - 2 4x4s.

Thinking of starting at Ai-Ais and defintely want to include Sesriem and Etosha. Will skip Luderitz. Anyone got any good trip advice of what to include and number of nights required? Plan on camping most of the way with the odd lodge...

Am also interested in knowing whether going up as far as Caprivi is possible in that time or is it just too far? If I went up that far I could return via Bots all the way down to Cape Town.

Thanks
    There is a lot of Namibia between Sesriem and Caprivi, I wouldnt do it. I also wouldnt miss Luderitz, it is a beautiful place and far more worth the visit than Swakop which is out of season at this time and will be very quiet and gray.

You want to skip something - think about skipping Etosha, the latest stories from there are not too good, expensive, run down and many unhappy reports.

Donald P

sorry to hijack... I am off to na for work and a small trip.

starting in windhoek, have about 11 days. to get to okahandja, oshakati and back to jozi.

I would like to go through caprivi to stay at zambezi lodge before coming through botswana to SA. Will have camping goods and sustainance for about 4 days worth of camp, if necessary.

Questions:

HOw far do permits for skeleton coast allowyou to travel up the coast? Would like to get to torra bay-springbokwater gate-palmwag-etosha

from etosha, though the park to oshakati/ondangwa. one night and then toward caprivi-rundu / popa falls - katima mulilo.from katima to phuhuduhudu - rakops - A1 to RSA.

I haven't really been north of whk before so ANY wise would be great!

sorry for the thread hijack!

s.
    downhill assist = middle pedal
    ------------------------------------
    All truth passes through three phases:
    1. Violently opposed
    2. Horribly ridiculed
    3. Accepted as self evident

To the hijacker....aka slimv6. Get a transit permit at the south gate at Ugabmond, it is just a few hours then to Springbokwater gate. The temerature will go up 20 degrees in those few hours!

To tcar: A few personal suggestions. Ai-Ais is 'on site' so better for exploring the area. Perhaps better still would be the more basic Hobas camp halfway up the canyon by the main veiwing point. Hobas would get you a bit nearer to Sesreim which is a long run. Again on journey times, Solitaire is only an hour from Sesreim; it makes a good 'apple pie' stop but no point in stopping over. Swakopmund is only another 3-4 hours further.

Spizkoppe is a great place if you can put up with no water and long drops but I doubt the wisdom of going via Henties. A great deal of boring gravel roads...save a couple of hours via the B2, Now Etosha. I have been many times and it is getting a bit like Kruger these days but it will gaurantee good game viewing including black rhino. Okaukuejo and Namatoni are good value but unless you are into birds, Halali is no more that a comvenient stop for lunch halfway between the two. 4 days is good for Etosha, 6 perhaps a waste of valuable time. Some sare days now to think of something else..........your main journey times are a bit long...but like I said, just my opinions

Phil

Wink

awesome, thanks touchy!

I will go down that road!
    downhill assist = middle pedal
    ------------------------------------
    All truth passes through three phases:
    1. Violently opposed
    2. Horribly ridiculed
    3. Accepted as self evident

Tcar this is very interesting, especially the permits for Skeleton Coast and Etosha info, both of which I'd like to visit. I am planning northern Nam for April 2010.
    Do you mind if I piggy-back a bit here? If ok I'd like to post my itinerary here for comment once I've got it sorted.

Regarding Etosha, which tour operators run the west side. Can one find a way in with them on the west at Kowares, and work east to Namutoni?
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX
    [/B]​
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

Thumbs up Namibia with children

Hi Tcar

We did the whole 3 week safari 6 years ago, with 2 children (then 10 and 5).

Please be aware that some parts of Nam (remembering a sleepless night, near Windhoek) can get bitterly cold at night, so make sure you have adequate sleeping bags, beanies, socks, hot water bottles etc, especially for your kids.

My children enjoyed :
    - the sandfilled houses of Kolmanskop
    - the dunes near Sossusvlei
    - Moose's apple pie at Solitaire
    - the Welwitschias and Moon landscape outside Swakopmund
    - seeing black rhinos at Etosha
    - the Hoba meteorite near Grootfontein
    - rock art at Twyfelfontein
    - petrified trees near Khorixas
    - watching the wild desert horses of Garub from a hide (near Aus).

BUT FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT you could try:
    - to arrange with Nature conservation in Luderitz for a permit and an officer to accompany you on a little expedition to dig for desert roses (sand roses) outside town
    - to visit the fossilized dinosaur footprints on the farm "Otjihaenamaperero" near Kalkfeld, SW of Otjiwarongo. (Camping also available on the farm.)

HAVE FUN!!!

Default Hijacker

Slimv6, Island View Lodge, just east of Katima, is great.

Lightbulb

I am off to bed but will post more details of a wonderful trip we had last year. I would not change it. Take notice we have been to the South a few times so we skipped that part ( I will give you details later about the South).

As previously mentioned do the far North (past Etosha) in one trip incl the Caprivi. It is time consuming and I for one will excl kids in the far North.

I hope it help .. hier 's hy ...PS: We where in off road caravans but also mixed it with a hotel as to get the wife's happy

30 September QuiverTree Forest Rest Camp

Rate: N$70.00 camping prices per person.

Date of Arrival: 30 September 2007
    Date of Departure: 01 October 2007 camping for 4 guests for 1 night.

Clients have to pay the entrance fee into Quivertree forest on arrival. N$30-00 per person plus N$30-00 per car.

The Quivertree Forest Rest Camp, located on the farm Gariganus just 13 km north-east of Keetmanshoop on road M29, offer tourists comfortable accommodation amid a pristine Namibian landscape. Camping sites: equipped with barbeque facilities, hot showers, WC and electricity.

01 October Spitzkoppe Rest Camp
    1 x Camping site

Rate is N$45.00 per person per night. N$10.00 per vehicle, payable direct at the camp.

Date of Arrival: 01 October 2007
    Date of Departure: 02 October 2007 camping for 4 guests for 1 night.

02 October Henties Bay – De Duine Hotel

Rate: N$280.00 per person inclusive of breakfast and tourism levy.
    Date of Arrival: 02 October

Date of Departure: 03 October

03 October Xaragu Camp is full – as an alternative have confirmed a reservation at Mowani Mountain Camp – campsite. Booked 1 campsite only, there is enough space for 2 cars.?

Rate: is N$50.00 per person per night.

Date of Arrival: 03 October 2007
    Date of Departure: 05 October 2007 camping for 4 guests for 2 nights.

1. Only cash payments are accepted and payment must be made on arrival. Please proceed to Mowani Mountain Camp where payment will be processed.

2. Campsites not taken up by 17h00 will be released should other campers arrive and request a campsite.

3. Fire wood and water is provided

4. Facilities consist of: - Bush toilet (long drop loo) and bucket shower per site

- Washing up area with 2 sinks

- Unfortunately there is no power available

5. The facilities at Mowani Mountain Camp are not available to campsite guests. However, Twyfelfontein Country Lodge is 16 km from the campsite and there are dining facilities and fuel available.

6. It is advisable to bring along your own foodstuffs, as the closest town is Khorixas, which is 99 km from the campsite.

05 October Ombinda Country Lodge – also have campsite should you prefer this for the 1 night.

2x Twin Bungalows confirmed inclusive of breakfast, bed levy and VAT

Rate: N$306.00 per person

Date of Arrival: 05 October

Date of Departure: 06 October

06 October Okaukuejo Camp Site

Rate: N$300.00 per day – 2 nights. – Payment due by 24 August

Date of Arrival 06 October

Date of Departure 08 October

08 October Namutoni Camp Site

Rate: N$300.00 per day – 2 nights – Payment due by 24 August

Date of Arrival 08 October

Date of Departure 10 October

10 October Arebbusch Lodge

Rate: N$75.00 camping prices per person.

Date of Arrival 10 October

Date of Departure 11 October
    Last edited by V10; 2009/05/24 at 08:48 PM.
    4 x 4 Vehicle Stable includes:

1990 Nissan Patrol 2 door LH Drive still strong in Freetown, Sierra Leone
    1997 Prado 3.0 Tdi Sold - steering box change and 74k later ..
    2001 Prado 3.0 Tdi Sold it after R86k damage on engine at 101k
    2006 VW Touareg V6Tdi. - Still regret the sale
    2006 VW Touareg V10 Wow .. Miss the V6 though..
    2009 Audi Q5 - 3.0 Tdi - It could not take the Toureg's position and was sold quickly
    Volvo XC60 followed by 2 x Kia Sorento's ( great 2nd hand value for money )
    NOW - 2011 Tourag V6 Tdi Blue Motion, 8 Speed with Terrain Tech and Air - I am a HAPPY CHAPPY !

Tcar

Please take note that Ai-Ais is currently closed to the public due to upgradings taking place there.

I will recommend Abiqua River Camp.

Hi. I have been watching this thread for a month or two now. I am going up through Namibia and returning via Botswana down the west side of the delta stopping off for two days in CKGR. We will be doing this during July this year, a 17 Day trip. Camping costs in Namibia are high. Botswana costs have not changed for a couple of years now and can be considered cheap.

What I need to know is what are the Namibian and Botswana border crossing costs?

The camp at Twyfelfontein - Aba Huab - does one have to book or can you just arrive?

Has anyone stayed at the "Die Kraal" camp outside Grootfontein and does one have to book?
    Last edited by HenryT; 2009/05/25 at 11:38 AM.
    I Own the Best 4x4s by Far<br><br>Defender TD5 CSW <br>Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE<br>Sprite Tourer SP

Default Cross border fees etc.

Hi Henry

Botswana:
    - BWP50 (one way) Road Permit
    - BWP20 (valid until 31 Dec) Road Fund Safety token. Trailer - extra P20. For the Road Fund payment only PULA is accepted. NO other currency.
    - BWP50 Third party insurance

Namibia:
    - R160 (vehicle) R100 (trailer) Cross border charge fee.

You can check with AA for update.

Aba Huab is a community camp managed by Nacobta. Google them. We have booked beforehand, but no specific sites are allocated or reserved. When you arrive, you just grab any spot. Very casual and laid back attitude. or or or depending on your nature...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast