Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 2018 Fortuner - used for overlanding - what aftermarket is REALLY needed?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tripping View Post

After 8 Years and 110`000km travelling with my Land Cruiser (Transafrika and more) i did list any car modification and if/where i used them and if I would do them again: Car modifications for overlanding purpose do/donts

This should be very useful for your own decisions!

But you also ask for other Overlanding gear. I did also a list of the 8 most important Overlanding Gear who will help.

Depending on your size I would also consider to sleep inside in the rear. Together with windows soxx and a tilt roof window (with mosquito net) you will get a good air circulation with unsing the chimney effect.

RTT vs Sleeping inside - we did try to discuss at ih8mud currently. You had to take more care of saving space than with a RTT and have the rear space for luckage for shure. Many do RTT instead of ground tent because of animal safety, i think that point is very theoretically. The scorpion or lion can meet you anytime too on the way to toilet.

For electrification, which is only necessary with carrying a fridge, there is the classic way of a overlanding power setup or how this should look like in 2021: a mobile Powerpack with Solar, Wall /Car charging options Not same powerful but good enogh. Just 8kg vs the classic way 35kg.

Save weight for your travels! You will have more fun in the namib desert and the dunes, more fun in the muddy parts of okavango delta with a lightweight car. That is the overall key. Adding a frontbumper and a winch will add so much weight that you will need them. Many of us are overweighted and not legal on the roads. A RTT and roof rack too add weight above - what means less fun during "your choice offroad" - but too for #### who can happen anytime (3 days rain in okavango delta).

So, back to your last open question: Remove the 3rd row (or probly even the 2nd row if sleeping setup)?

That depends on your needs. If you go overlanding for 14days a year, there will be 340 days a year where you use it daily. Go shopping, stow purchases.

If you are solo or together with your partner it will / may work. If you have 1-2 kids and have to carry small bikes and so on - you will regret a permanent removal.

I hope this help you a bit.

Conclusion: Many of us are doing modifications for a worldtip preparation, but will never do more than 2-3 weeks of exploring. Had added to much weight, and will have repairs if doing offroad stuff.

--> Lucky is, who are able to have a near stock overlanding rig and a offroad toy who has his mods. Poor will be, who tries to combine both - costs a lot of money and the outcome is not always what you had wished...

Look at my list, even as someone who travels a bit more - i would start today way way more stock.

Tip: try it lightweight. Take your car stock and a ground tent, 2 foldable chairs and look what you miss. I did alot of overlanding in rental cars in Asia/US that way. Even a Icebox you can add for 20$ and brings from cold beer too additional stuff for a good breakfast. For a view days you will dont need a full kitchen equipement.

There are many ways to do overlanding, to equip your car. Everything is very indiviual, has his pro/cons - important is that you find what fits your needs. What feels right for you can be wrong for someone else..

Guess I did add some links. There is always a languaga switch to the right.

4x4tripping
    Wow, thanks a ton for this detailed post and links! super useful and I think you have, as many others have said as well now, kinda convinced me to keep it stock at first, and see with time what is missing or what I would like and then add more..

Damn that LC 200 is nice, but the new ones are a bit pricey for me... I have to choose between a fortuner or a LC 76/79 ... although I would love to have a new LC200
    Last edited by flyfisherman; 2021/01/21 at 10:12 PM.

Default Re: 2018 Fortuner - used for overlanding - what aftermarket is REALLY needed?

A very good reference point is The Road Chose Me YouTube channel. You will get great insights to allsorts of overlanding issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    A very good reference point is The Road Chose Me YouTube channel. You will get great insights to allsorts of overlanding issues.
    Should I tell you how I did prepare myself before buying? I was camping last time as I was 12 years old, together with my Parents (T2 VW camper). So no current experiences.

I did start to read travelblogs in detail, any available travelblog out of the transafrica by 4x over the west.. Because my Plans was to do a african roundtrip. I did read in detail any day they did write down.

Thoose with Tents/RTT/Sleeping Inside - did wrote what works and what not. After days of rain you can read how they feel, what they did lika and what not.

Then I did try to think through - how would I like/dislike what happens? How can the experience get changed to a better way? How have it to looks like, to fit into my plans?

I did it completely theoretically. Did plan to sleep inside, did plan the details, how much heigth is necessary above the matress and anything else.

And I start to read even more travelblogs as my girlfriend tells me that she wants to travel with me.. Any word they did wrote down

My first night inside of the car was in September, two month later we did start the transafrica.

That the car is after 8 years pretty same that as we start, shows that even that way can work.

Also it was helpful for my own trips, to have the experiences of reading all these blogs detailed.

I knows what happens to them, how they did handle it, could do the same or could try to approve it.

As in Angola some fishers knock on the door as we did staying wild at the beach I did know that they will argue that we had destroyed their nets with our car as one example.. They did it before. That they try to block the track back was new - but we was able to pass.

For shure they want that we did get stuck, did want to help us out for a bit cash

So there are alway several ways to get something who will work: very theoretically or more trying and approve - as example.

Surfy
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/01/22 at 06:23 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:

Hi Izak,

Great advise on this forum, saves a lot on school fees. Many members saved me from making expensive mistakes when I started out too. Assuming you do opt for the FT, this is what I learned as a FT owner.

1. At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, the FT is not an LC. It simply won’t take the same amount of punishment, or last anywhere near as long. So, unless you have one foot in the grave, the FT will probably not be the last vehicle you buy – irrespective of what you plan to do to it (and with it). Think twice about permanent mods… and then think some more… there’s no trade-in value on them. All my stuff is portable for that reason. You can get good gear that doesn’t require permanent installation - roof rack, auxiliary fuel tank, water tank, compressor, solar panel, battery pack etc.

2. Your biggest enemy is weight. On my FT the maximum discretionary load (GVM minus TARE) is 720kg. That gets taken up pretty rapidly with fuel, water, fridge, food, tent, recovery gear, tool kit, second spares tyre etc. A set of rock sliders are not going to be helpful in the battle against weight. I do max my FT though when it comes to weight, thanks to good shocks and progressive coils. FT’s are prone to wobbling at the rear when they are fully laden. Get rid of the OEM matchsticks masquerading as shocks. For safety reasons alone, this is one permanent mod that’s totally worth it. You’ll have better fuel consumption too.

3. Space wise you’ll be fine once the jump seats are out; unless you’re more than 5 up in the cab, which probably means you shouldn’t be driving a FT Same discretion goes for how to enjoy the FT. It’s a great allrounder, but it’s still an SUV; which means that overlanding is fine, but rock crawling isn’t. It will get you there and back in comfort; and will be very capable offroad too. Some members on this forum have taken theirs very far indeed. Lastly, if you plan to use your FT as a daily driver, you’ll want to consider the pros and cons of a rooftop tent. I’ve gone back to ground tents because, like you, I make 4 trips a year only.

Have fun and post pix!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to !Xo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry if this is an old topic but I searched and could not find much...

I am planning to buy a 2018 fortuner 2.8 4x4 A/T....from what I read from serious overlanders that go into Africa, the rule of thumb is to keep it as stock as possible...

Yet so many others say they replace the suspension as one of the first things they do, and also add a new front and back bumper, plus a long range fuel tanks...

so...firstly - I intend to use this fortuner to go on trips to the richtersveld, kalahari, namibia, etc...I am not interested in hardcore offroad 4x4 trails where 3 wheels are off the ground and only the best of the best can tackle it (road to hell, for example, from what I have sen) ... regular overlanding, some mild offroad etc etc... hope this makes sense... maximum 2 weeks away from home and sometimes very remote (not sure how remote it can get in the richtersveld)... plan to do these kind of trips 3-4 times per year...

So, my question to you guys, as I am a complete 4x4 and overlanding newbie....I was thinking about adding/modding the following:

1. Roofrack with rooftop tent
    2. Shade awning
    3. New front bumper
    4. Rock sliders
    5. New suspension
    6. 2nd spare tyre
    7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?)
    8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space
    9. second battery for fridge

Is this a realistic list, or is this complete overkill?? Sorry is this is already covered elsewhere, but could not find a nice consolidated post covering this...

ps - new member here, and just want to say this is a pretty great forum!

Cheers,
    Izak

My recommendation for overlanding to far and remote places, fwiw
    1. full length real roofrack (eg Frontrunner), large enough to carry 2nd spare wheel in front of rooftop tent
    2. shade awning – yes, on passenger side attached to roofrack
    3. new frontbumper – not needed for mild offroad because no winch (but see 12.)
    4. rock sliders - not needed for mild offroad
    5. new suspension - not needed for mild offroad, 2+2 people and luggage (include RTT, spare wheel, extra fuel). But check weights vs GVM.
    6. 2nd spare wheel – yes. say on roofrack in front of RTT, alternative is new rear bumper with appropriate hinging brackets for both spare wheels, freeing space under car for aux fuel tank
    7. aux fuel tank – yes. Add jerrycans if possible, within limitation of roofrack space and carrying capacity (eg next to sparewheel at front). My Defender carries 300L (75 standard, 45 in rhs rear corner, 2x50 under front seats, 2x20 jerrys on roofrack and 2x20 jerrys in rack mounted on rear sparewheel on rear door). Jerrycans work best with a gadget to pressurise and push fuel across to main tank (contact 082 448 4298). Avoid range anxiety!
    Offroad roof carrying capacity (around 120kg but check) not to be exceeded by roofrack, RTT, spare wheel, and jerrys
    8. remove 3rd row of seats – yes. Then install rails or lugs to attach hold-down straps for luggage (say ammo boxes, fridge, …)
    9. second battery for fridge – yes, with professional charging and monitoring system, possibly add a built-in trickle charger to keep battery conditioned between trips if car not in daily use. Aim for Li-iron-fosfor , not Li-ion because of fire hazard.
    Further recommended, even for mild offroad:
    10. ARB rear diff lock. Its compressor is also used for regulating tyre pressure (mild offroad includes deep sand, rocky ground etc requiring tyre pressure adjustment).
    When diff lock not chosen, at least a built-in hi-capacity compressor for tyre pumping and fuel transfers from jerrycans.
    11. Water tank(s) essential, make a plan (not on roofrack). My Defender has 2 x 45L (lhs rear corner & under 2nd row seats).
    12. Lifting points for hi-lift jack, and tow hooks (preferably removable tow hitches), at front and rear. To enable rescue when necessary (maybe never) and for changing wheels in rough terrain. This may need new steel bumpers.

Happy event-free travel !

Geert de Vries
    Defender 1997 2.8i

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geertdev For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry if this is an old topic but I searched and could not find much...

I am planning to buy a 2018 fortuner 2.8 4x4 A/T....from what I read from serious overlanders that go into Africa, the rule of thumb is to keep it as stock as possible...

Yet so many others say they replace the suspension as one of the first things they do, and also add a new front and back bumper, plus a long range fuel tanks...

so...firstly - I intend to use this fortuner to go on trips to the richtersveld, kalahari, namibia, etc...I am not interested in hardcore offroad 4x4 trails where 3 wheels are off the ground and only the best of the best can tackle it (road to hell, for example, from what I have sen) ... regular overlanding, some mild offroad etc etc... hope this makes sense... maximum 2 weeks away from home and sometimes very remote (not sure how remote it can get in the richtersveld)... plan to do these kind of trips 3-4 times per year...

So, my question to you guys, as I am a complete 4x4 and overlanding newbie....I was thinking about adding/modding the following:

1. Roofrack with rooftop tent
    2. Shade awning
    3. New front bumper
    4. Rock sliders
    5. New suspension
    6. 2nd spare tyre
    7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?)
    8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space
    9. second battery for fridge

Is this a realistic list, or is this complete overkill?? Sorry is this is already covered elsewhere, but could not find a nice consolidated post covering this...

ps - new member here, and just want to say this is a pretty great forum!

Cheers,
    Izak
    Wel Izak niks wat jy genome het is onnodig nie, n goeie suspensie vir die ekstra gewig, n long range tank is ook n moet aangesien jerry kanne op die dakrak n slep is en spasie wegvat, n dual battery sisteem is n moet vir n yskas, haal die 3de ry sitplekke uit in fit n laai sisteem om alles in te pak ens. Kontak my gerus vir enige navrae en fotos, ons bou baie voertuie om, 082 304 5482

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Bos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    My mods on a 2016 Fortuner V6 so far.

Roof rack - I went Easiawn over Frontrunner because of the lower profile.
    Roof top tent - Howling Moon Stargazer.
    Pirelli Scorpion All terrain tires increased the size to 65s. Lifted the front suspension with 20mm spacers at ghe same time.
    Bundu Awn over the tailgate - but it needed a frame attached to the roof rack to lift and allow the tailgate to open.
    The above frame also carries 3 x 25l petrol cans and 5kg gas bottle.
    Custom made drawer system and drop down fridge slide- carring capacity is equivalent in volume to 9 standard ammo boxes plus the tent annex, tools and accessories, ground sheet and a fold up rectangular Weber braai. Jump seats are removed and passenger seats are a littlemore upright than usualbut I am told that it's not uncomfortable.
    Dual battery system integrated into the drawer system.

We have two overlanding configurations depending on passengers and the ability to get supplies. The no passenger and a stay longer than 7 days option means we can remove the rear seats and add a 55l water tank behind the front seats plus another 4 ammo boxes of groceries, this gives the two us an additional 7 days.
    Without high-jacking this thread.

Would love to see some photos of your setup...

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Echo 3 Off-road Trailer

https://instagram.com/roamfreeoverland/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gallivanter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gallivanter View Post
    Without high-jacking this thread.

Would love to see some photos of your setup...
    Happy to, once I get a gap.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2