Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2018 Fortuner - used for overlanding - what aftermarket is REALLY needed?

Hi All,

Sorry if this is an old topic but I searched and could not find much...

I am planning to buy a 2018 fortuner 2.8 4x4 A/T....from what I read from serious overlanders that go into Africa, the rule of thumb is to keep it as stock as possible...

Yet so many others say they replace the suspension as one of the first things they do, and also add a new front and back bumper, plus a long range fuel tanks...

so...firstly - I intend to use this fortuner to go on trips to the richtersveld, kalahari, namibia, etc...I am not interested in hardcore offroad 4x4 trails where 3 wheels are off the ground and only the best of the best can tackle it (road to hell, for example, from what I have sen) ... regular overlanding, some mild offroad etc etc... hope this makes sense... maximum 2 weeks away from home and sometimes very remote (not sure how remote it can get in the richtersveld)... plan to do these kind of trips 3-4 times per year...

So, my question to you guys, as I am a complete 4x4 and overlanding newbie....I was thinking about adding/modding the following:

1. Roofrack with rooftop tent
    2. Shade awning
    3. New front bumper
    4. Rock sliders
    5. New suspension
    6. 2nd spare tyre
    7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?)
    8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space
    9. second battery for fridge

Is this a realistic list, or is this complete overkill?? Sorry is this is already covered elsewhere, but could not find a nice consolidated post covering this...

ps - new member here, and just want to say this is a pretty great forum!

Cheers,
    Izak

Default Re: 2018 Fortuner - used for overlanding - what aftermarket is REALLY needed?

I have a Colt and Cruiser with every mod we need for overlanding as well as a Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4 with no mods besides a dual battery system, a Frontrunner drawer system with a tilt slider
    for one 52L National Luna fridge. I won't use it for overlanding and won't fit more extras but want to tow the road caravan in SA to places like Kruger or the South Coast with the freedom to
    drive up Sani pass etc. with the 4x4.

From what you mention, the roofrack and RTT is fine, shade awning is nice, bumper a waste of money except if you want a winch in which case the standard suspension is too soft. Rock sliders
    not necessary except if you want to drive very rocky terrain like Van Zyl's pass. New suspension not needed, you can fit Firestone Ride Rite airbags in the rear to prevent too much sagging. In
    places like Kaokoveld and Richtersveld a second spare make sense but it takes up a lot of space. With a RTT I won't suggest Jerry cans on the roofrack so the auxiliary or larger fuel tank is the
    better option. Remember you also need a lot of water in some places and you try to keep weight on the roof as low as possible. I like the drawer system and would recommend that. Next to the
    fridge you can stack 2 ammo boxes and if you are only 2 people there is a lot of extra space if you fold down the rear seat. Remove the jump seats, check on Youtube how to do it.

My feeling on this, I have never toured with a SUV so other members may give better advice.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2021/01/19 at 11:19 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2018 Fortuner - used for overlanding - what aftermarket is REALLY needed?

Hi Izak
    A few comments from what I learned, when I travelled solo (no trailer). Obviously everything is user-requirement dependent

1. Roofrack with rooftop tent - yes, other option is a ground tent which will free up a lot of space on your roofrack
    2. Shade awning - IMO it is nice to have. Go light if you deem it necessary
    3. New front bumper - not critical in my view. If you want to go hard core and need a winch, then maybe
    4. Rock sliders - not for normal overlanding. Again nice to have
    5. New suspension - do some calculations on the weight you will carry vs the vehicle GVM. That might necessitate an upgraded suspension
    6. 2nd spare tyre - yes, especially if you go to remote areas. Proper puncture repair kit is a must as well as a compressor
    7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?) - either will do and give peace of mind. and water (jerries, plastic cans)
    8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space - yes definitely
    9. second battery for fridge - yes definitely

Some other items I will add to the list: decent AT tyres (many options), packing system, GPS with latest maps, rather fit a bashplate below the engine and leave the sliders, tire pressure monitor system, decent recovery kit/straps (make sure you have recovery points on the car), spade, basic tool kit, fire extinguisher....

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HennieC For This Useful Post:

Just add stuff as you go, all to often guys fit unimportant things first.......an example would be rock sliders for your use....
    FJC - Just Cruising

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Just add stuff as you go, all to often guys fit unimportant things first.......an example would be rock sliders for your use....
    What he said. Add as you go along, based on your own requirements.

Or just fit everything you can, because you can. <- this will at least make you LOOK ready for any adventure, and sometimes that is more important than anything.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HennieC View Post
    Hi Izak
    A few comments from what I learned, when I travelled solo (no trailer). Obviously everything is user-requirement dependent

1. Roofrack with rooftop tent - yes, other option is a ground tent which will free up a lot of space on your roofrack What he said
    2. Shade awning - IMO it is nice to have. Go light if you deem it necessary ​​What he said. I've had an awning for years and used it twice. Really depends on where you go.
    3. New front bumper - not critical in my view. If you want to go hard core and need a winch, then maybe ​​what he said
    4. Rock sliders - not for normal overlanding. Again nice to have ​​what he said
    5. New suspension - do some calculations on the weight you will carry vs the vehicle GVM. That might necessitate an upgraded suspension ​​ what he said - and then do it properly. Not some half arsed lifting kit.
    6. 2nd spare tyre - yes, especially if you go to remote areas. Proper puncture repair kit is a must as well as a compressor weight is not your friend. Think twice and then think again before you decided to do this with a rear bumper and SWC. That takes up about 100Kg plus of your weight carrying capability and plays with your steering.
    7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?) - either will do and give peace of mind. and water (jerries, plastic cans) ​ Yes. If you going to need it often - do it. MUCH better than jerry cans on the roof. If you do it once a year - use jerry cans.
    8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space - yes definitely ​​ yep - absolutely
    9. second battery for fridge - yes definitely ​​yes

Some other items I will add to the list: decent AT tyres (many options), packing system, GPS with latest maps, rather fit a bashplate below the engine and leave the sliders, tire pressure monitor system, decent recovery kit/straps (make sure you have recovery points on the car), spade, basic tool kit, fire extinguisher....
    Made some comments - much in line with other replies. We did a YouTube video on just this subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOElWPlUzA4&t=493s with Christoff. Have a look.
    Gavin Pike

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for the replies! This really is a great forum and a wealth of info!

I am watching this video you linked now - great info!!!

Really cannot wait to get into this - been dreaming of my return to SA for years now and it is finally happening

also look at YT Get Out Go. He has previous gen Fortuner, but it should give you an idea as what works for him, that might be an idea for you. He overlands with 2-3 others quite often.

did a vehicle video about 3 months ago.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

My mods on a 2016 Fortuner V6 so far.

Roof rack - I went Easiawn over Frontrunner because of the lower profile.
    Roof top tent - Howling Moon Stargazer.
    Pirelli Scorpion All terrain tires increased the size to 65s. Lifted the front suspension with 20mm spacers at ghe same time.
    Bundu Awn over the tailgate - but it needed a frame attached to the roof rack to lift and allow the tailgate to open.
    The above frame also carries 3 x 25l petrol cans and 5kg gas bottle.
    Custom made drawer system and drop down fridge slide- carring capacity is equivalent in volume to 9 standard ammo boxes plus the tent annex, tools and accessories, ground sheet and a fold up rectangular Weber braai. Jump seats are removed and passenger seats are a littlemore upright than usualbut I am told that it's not uncomfortable.
    Dual battery system integrated into the drawer system.

We have two overlanding configurations depending on passengers and the ability to get supplies. The no passenger and a stay longer than 7 days option means we can remove the rear seats and add a 55l water tank behind the front seats plus another 4 ammo boxes of groceries, this gives the two us an additional 7 days.

Future mods in order

Long range fuel tank.
    Rear spare wheel carrier because the former will drop the ground clearance at the spare wheel https://www.tauro.co.za/wp-content/u...201-WA0009.jpg
    Ride Rite air springs to set the correct ride height when fully loaded.
    Snorkel?

The next level is to change the RTT to a Bundutop or similar for convenience but it means sacrificing fuel carrying capacity and the 4 litre needs fuel and we have a Malawi trip via Moz in planning stage. Just a note we found the vehicle's 4x4 capabilities more than adequate for overlanding and based on my experience we would not upgrade anything. This experience so far is Mozambique via Pafuri, Gonarezhou via Pafuri, Mabuasehube and Kaa region via Nossob and the Namaqua Ecotrail.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

What about a bashplate.I think its important because it protects a vital part of the car

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

The experience of our forum members shows in the superb advice they have given you.

In order to have a long future in overlanding with wife and family, in my opinion it is vital that your travels and camping are as comfortable and as organized as possible. Consider the following:

• Hard shell roof top tent. So easy to deploy or pack up, will save plenty of snot en trane.
    • Sliding drawer system.
    • Fridge/freezer and 12V axillary battery system.

A Fortuner is a pretty tough vehicle and provided you concentrate on not too much loading, will not need extensive/Expensive mods otherwise. Save those for later if so desired.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=flyfisherman;4563843]Hi All,So, my question to you guys, as I am a complete 4x4 and overlanding newbie....I was thinking about adding/modding the following:1. Roofrack with rooftop tent2. Shade awning3. New front bumper4. Rock sliders5. New suspension6. 2nd spare tyre7. Aux fuel tank?? (or are jerry cans OK?)8. Remove 3rd row of sats for packing space9. second battery for fridgeEk was in selfde situasie gewees wat jy nou hier is en op die forum sowel kampforum baie geleer en ook gevra soos ek ouens sien wat toegerus is vie bos , berge (off grit kamp) Eerste dit hang af waar jy gaan kamp en hoe lank , kyk na off road karavane VS RTT se voordele en nadele , vir my en vrou vir off gritt is die RTT die roete wat ons loop ons het n solar system met n battery n 60 liter snowmaster yskas/vrieskas n gazebo vir koelte , bos stort vars watervooraad van so 100l gaan ook long range petrol tank insit 2x 3 kg gasbottels 2 x opvou stoele eetgerei opvou braai dan jou normale klere , kos bop is my uncle sterkte met roete wat jy loop onthou gewig dra by tot swaarder brandstof verbruik hoe ligter jou setup is hoe beter my 2c

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Maybe this will help - my review of my Fortuner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PwmqUrnYPk&t=226s

For overlanding are my mods necessary?
    • Bumper - Not really (unless you want to fit a winch, or travelling at night which is not recommended)
    • Bash Plate - It is not a very expensive item, therefore I would highly recommend it
    • Rock Sliders - No
    • Suspension lift - I would suggest it yes, but, this will depend on how much you want to load... If you travel light you can do without it
    • Tyres - yes, the stock tyres are soft. There are a lot of options available. This will depend on the terrain and frequency you want to travel. If I had to choose again I will drive the stock tyres until they were done and then fit BFG, but this is for my application. BFG now on 10,000 km without any chips, the GY were chipped within the first 10,000km.

Hope this helps?

Maybe I should do a video between stock standard and modified?
    Last edited by Bogaards; 2021/01/20 at 01:11 PM.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    8. Remove 3rd row of seats for packing space
    This will help. 10 minute job.

https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...-3rd-row-seats
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Papsak For This Useful Post:

We decided to opt for a small off-road caravan instead. It allowed us to leave the Fortuner standard. So by the way, every time I read one of these posts I read that you have to replace the so called Dunflops. I have now done 55 000 km with Dunflops on all types of terrain. Some of it serious stuff. That car is incredibly capable. Never had one single problem. So unless you are doing off-road trails or serious overlanding like van Zyls pass I would recommend the same as Bogaard. Drive them till you got some value out of them before replacing them with something better. Same goes for the shocks. You will need Airbags if you are going to load thing on the roof for sure.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvdwaltventer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tvdwaltventer View Post
    We decided to opt for a small off-road caravan instead. It allowed us to leave the Fortuner standard. So by the way, every time I read one of these posts I read that you have to replace the so called Dunflops. I have now done 55 000 km with Dunflops on all types of terrain. Some of it serious stuff. That car is incredibly capable. Never had one single problem. So unless you are doing off-road trails or serious overlanding like van Zyls pass I would recommend the same as Bogaard. Drive them till you got some value out of them before replacing them with something better. Same goes for the shocks. You will need Airbags if you are going to load thing on the roof for sure.
    Only replaced my Dunlops at 70k and my experience was similar to yours not one puncture. As for the Airbags I my case it's not to increase load capacity but to level off the vehicle when loaded as it tends to push the nose up.

Are you travelling alone or with family, and if with family, how many?
    What level of comfort do you require?

After 10 years, I am a great believer in being as flexible as possible. When I travel alone, I take a ground-sheet, roll-up mattress and 2m bow tent, which I seldom use. Most places I just put the mattress on the groundsheet next to the car or on the roofrack (depending on how much rain, dew and Hyenas I expect). Very simple.

But when the wife and kids come along, then everything changes. Then the trailer comes along, amd we have hot water at the taps and a pretty nice kitchen. I have found that I can't really fit enough i to a vehicle for 4 people, and RTT doesn't work for me because my wife's idea of holiday is to lie around and read a book, and mine is to explore and photograph. Thus the trailer.

The one luxury that is almost not a luxury but a necessity is a fridge, but I have become pretty intolerant (physically not mentally) to pretty much everything that is not fresh meat, veg or fruit. Of course, a fridge needs infrastructure to run it...
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/01/20 at 07:38 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Dont let mods hold you back. Vehicle very capable. We towed through Eastern Namibia, Moremi, Savuti etc and apart from roofrack (which was awesome to carry 2x jerries, firewood and extra spare tyre etc) left everything else stock (including tyres). Only slight issue was towbar scraping few times on Savuti marsh road. My next mod will be air helpers to address trailer sag

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mossel For This Useful Post:

After 8 Years and 110`000km travelling with my Land Cruiser (Transafrika and more) i did list any car modification and if/where i used them and if I would do them again: Car modifications for overlanding purpose do/donts

This should be very useful for your own decisions!

But you also ask for other Overlanding gear. I did also a list of the 8 most important Overlanding Gear who will help.

Depending on your size I would also consider to sleep inside in the rear. Together with windows soxx and a tilt roof window (with mosquito net) you will get a good air circulation with unsing the chimney effect.

RTT vs Sleeping inside - we did try to discuss at ih8mud currently. You had to take more care of saving space than with a RTT and have the rear space for luckage for shure. Many do RTT instead of ground tent because of animal safety, i think that point is very theoretically. The scorpion or lion can meet you anytime too on the way to toilet.

For electrification, which is only necessary with carrying a fridge, there is the classic way of a overlanding power setup or how this should look like in 2021: a mobile Powerpack with Solar, Wall /Car charging options Not same powerful but good enogh. Just 8kg vs the classic way 35kg.

Save weight for your travels! You will have more fun in the namib desert and the dunes, more fun in the muddy parts of okavango delta with a lightweight car. That is the overall key. Adding a frontbumper and a winch will add so much weight that you will need them. Many of us are overweighted and not legal on the roads. A RTT and roof rack too add weight above - what means less fun during "your choice offroad" - but too for #### who can happen anytime (3 days rain in okavango delta).

So, back to your last open question: Remove the 3rd row (or probly even the 2nd row if sleeping setup)?

That depends on your needs. If you go overlanding for 14days a year, there will be 340 days a year where you use it daily. Go shopping, stow purchases.

If you are solo or together with your partner it will / may work. If you have 1-2 kids and have to carry small bikes and so on - you will regret a permanent removal.

I hope this help you a bit.

Conclusion: Many of us are doing modifications for a worldtip preparation, but will never do more than 2-3 weeks of exploring. Had added to much weight, and will have repairs if doing offroad stuff.

--> Lucky is, who are able to have a near stock overlanding rig and a offroad toy who has his mods. Poor will be, who tries to combine both - costs a lot of money and the outcome is not always what you had wished...

Look at my list, even as someone who travels a bit more - i would start today way way more stock.

Tip: try it lightweight. Take your car stock and a ground tent, 2 foldable chairs and look what you miss. I did alot of overlanding in rental cars in Asia/US that way. Even a Icebox you can add for 20$ and brings from cold beer too additional stuff for a good breakfast. For a view days you will dont need a full kitchen equipement.

There are many ways to do overlanding, to equip your car. Everything is very indiviual, has his pro/cons - important is that you find what fits your needs. What feels right for you can be wrong for someone else..

Guess I did add some links. There is always a languaga switch to the right.

4x4tripping
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/01/21 at 09:41 PM.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:

Wow, thanks again to all the detailed replies! Many many thanks!

Just shows the amount of experience on this forum!

Will be just myself and possibly a +1 that will travel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast