Default Namib trip planning

Hi all

I'll be asking a very stupid question as I am rather stupid in terms of the subject matter.

My wife has always wanted to go to the desert and I think it's about time I take her. So I want to take.the good old Touareg to Namibia. Also, I just watched the "Grand Tour Namibia Special" and it rekindled some of the old dreams.

I'd like to do a trip up the coast, but honestly, I don't know where to start. I assume one can't simply drive to Lüderitz and turn right along the beach. If it really is this simple, well hallelujah!

I'm not going to go a whole long way into modifying my daily driver (2006 V6 TDi Treg) so I'm not looking to get into serious serious off road stuff, but I do have rather a bit of dune experience, so.also not looking to stay in the kiddies area.

If anyone can share some advice or links to websites that may help, please do so! Most importantly, I don't want to go in a group. This is meant to be a solo adventure. I do have a sat phone (I work on yachts, so it comes in handy) and of course I'll take precautions, but going with a group just doesn't work for either of us.

Thanks!
    Phil

Default Re: Namib trip planning

Firstly how old are you two?

That will throw a new light on what you can do and can't do.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Just about to turn 40. As stated above, I work on yachts, so I lead a pretty active life with lots of adventure and having gone hunting in Namibia every year for the last 18, I have some dune experience. Mostly driving a Chev Nomad (with Ford V6 and VW Kombi front suspension) and Ford F100's.

Do the Luderitz/Walvis trip with one of the operating companies. It is a bit pricey but I think it is one of those trips that one has to do at least once. There was a Toureg in our group and it did OK. He did not attempt the bigger challenges but that is your own decision, We've used Coastways but there are several and I assume their prices are more or less the same
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

If you dont want to go with a group you can buy a permit and enter the desert at Walvis and drive to Sandwich Harbour which should be awesome

If you want to drive along the coast from Luderitz your only option is to do it with a group and a operator as mentioned above.
    There are area's near Swakopmund/Walvis Bay which you can do some dune driving but these are then day trips and you could come to the coast via sossusvlei etc.

Sandwich harbour yes you can currently still do that solo, just make sure you get your permit and stay within the allowed areas and watch your tides otherwise it can turn into a very expensive trip. This is about a half day tour. Also make sure to tell your accommodation establishment what your plans are for the day so that if you are not home by dinner they know where to look.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I'll have a look at the operating companies. I'm just not much of a group person. If we're less interested in something, I want the freedom to spend less time there and more time somewhere that other people might find less interesting.

I'm also not too keen to go all the way up to Walvis or Swakop, but we'll see.

It was the same back when I had the 1200GS. We did 2 trips with groups and never again. The second time was really just to confirm what we learnt the 1st time around. We did huge solo trips (before we had kids, aka the good old days) and absolutely loved it (Bloemfontein to Rundu to Vic Falls to Maun and back for instance).

Not sure what type of accommodation you are planning. You could stay relatively south and do West Coast, Namaqua Coastal Region, Richtersveldt, Ais Ais (if not all washed away!), Luderitz, Duwisib, Sousievlei, Kagaligadi, for instance.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!