Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Buying a Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 SE

Good evening guys!

I know this has been discussed at length before, but I need some advice before I go and look at a 2012 Discovery 4 V8 SE this weekend.

The vehicle is listed at a reputable dealership for R 300 000 and has 120 000km on the clock. (There may be some negotiating headroom there)

What should I look out for in the service schedule? what are critical things that should have been taken care of? Will this be a money pit like my Defender 90 2.8i or can I expect some enjoyable, reliable km's with this beautiful vehicle? I am really not an Amarok / Fortuner type of guy and would prefer something as unique as this without getting myself into too much trouble.

I already consulted with Alexander Forbes for extended warranty packages, but the vehicle looks decent. So I don't expect allot of issues.

The advice will be appreciated.

Default Re: Buying a Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Havil View Post
    Good evening guys!

I know this has been discussed at length before, but I need some advice before I go and look at a 2012 Discovery 4 V8 SE this weekend.

The vehicle is listed at a reputable dealership for R 300 000 and has 120 000km on the clock. (There may be some negotiating headroom there)

What should I look out for in the service schedule? what are critical things that should have been taken care of? Will this be a money pit like my Defender 90 2.8i or can I expect some enjoyable, reliable km's with this beautiful vehicle? I am really not an Amarok / Fortuner type of guy and would prefer something as unique as this without getting myself into too much trouble.

I already consulted with Alexander Forbes for extended warranty packages, but the vehicle looks decent. So I don't expect allot of issues.

The advice will be appreciated.
    We have a 2012 V8 SE acquired used about 100k Kms. Either the previous owner was such a careful chap or we have been very lucky 90,000kms later. Been totally trouble free, but many have bumped into control arm and water pump replacement by 100000kms.

Do you need all the 7 seats?
    SE has no 3rd row AC vents (no showstopper but annoying especially on hot days).

Enjoy it.

Do your homework re timing chain issues on the 5.0 V8. There is a thread on this. Can be costly.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    Hobie 14 Turbo

water pump change, and you are good to to go for many miles of happy driving.
    2010 D4 V8 HSE
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8
    1290 KTM ADVENTURE R.

Will this be a money pit like my Defender 90 2.8i
    I'm surprised defender fanboys have not yet eaten you alive
    or can I expect some enjoyable, reliable km's with this beautiful vehicle?
    you will get very many enjoyable Kms. However be warned that the thing really guzzles petrol like a problem. If you are not used to a large petrol car, this can shock you, and actually get to you. It guzzles quite a lot in city bumper to bumper type traffic, which is where I use it,may be different for you. I'm averaging 4km/liter, which is exactly half the consumption of a d4d Prado 150 in similar use.
    Last edited by byaru1; 2020/09/27 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    you will get very many enjoyable Kms. However be warned that the thing really guzzles petrol like a problem. If you are not used to a large petrol car, this can shock you, and actually get to you. It guzzles quite a lot in city bumper to bumper type traffic, which is where I use it,may be different for you. I'm averaging 4km/liter, which is exactly half the consumption of a d4d Prado 150 in similar use.
    I don't think the D90 2.8i was much better to be honest. Maybe closer to 5km/L in traffic, but still.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Will this be a money pit like my Defender 90 2.8i or can I expect some enjoyable, reliable km's with this beautiful vehicle?
    What is the definition of money pit?

Depending on your mileage you could end up spending 20K for a service every 2nd year at 30k km's a year.

These are really nice to drive though. If you expect low mileage use then your big ticket items will only need to be addressed later on and with more years between.

Get an extended warranty through Innovations.
    Last edited by willben; 2020/09/29 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Changed 2 years to 2nd year
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    What is the definition of money pit?
    Yeah, didn't want to raise that but a D90 2.8i isn't the epitome of a technically advanced vehicle.

And if your local workshop can't maintain THAT, then a D4 V8 will be many steps too far. Especially when the body needs to be removed.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yeah, didn't want to raise that but a D90 2.8i isn't the epitome of a technically advanced vehicle.

And if your local workshop can't maintain THAT, then a D4 V8 will be many steps too far. Especially when the body needs to be removed.
    Why will they remove the body , with you on the 2.8 , use to do all the maintenance myself and even the v8 D3 is a breeze to service and maintain , specially with help from our in-house Machanic ( YouTube )
    Using Tapatalk

Not to highjack , but R30k for extended guarantee R20k for service once a year ? Now if I was a gambling man , the odds would be heavily in my favor if I decided to service it myself . And by that to save a lot of money
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Not to highjack , but R30k for extended guarantee R20k for service once a year ? Now if I was a gambling man , the odds would be heavily in my favor if I decided to service it myself . And by that to save a lot of money
    You won't pay R20K a year for a service. Only every 50 to 60 thousand kilos depending on how much 4x4 you do.

If you ever want to trade the vehicle in you need to keep a service history.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

“I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

Why will they remove the body , with you on the 2.8 , use to do all the maintenance myself and even the v8 D3 is a breeze to service and maintain , specially with help from our in-house Machanic ( YouTube )
    I don't think many D4 owners like your type of gambling.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

20k a year to service a d4, i have had mine a few years never cost me that,, the odd wheel bearing , control arms and the handbrake switch, that's it for me. the rest of the repairs were due to my doing.
    2010 D4 V8 HSE
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8
    1290 KTM ADVENTURE R.

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    You won't pay R20K a year for a service. Only every 50 to 60 thousand kilos depending on how much 4x4 you do.

If you ever want to trade the vehicle in you need to keep a service history.
    Still R20k a service as per your quote, and any vehicle should be serviced once a year at least , but my point is that LR,s is just as easy or difficult to service as any modern car . In the old days we used to do the valve clearance, service the carburetor set or replace the points check timing do an oil an filter service . These days oil and filter is just about all you need to do
    Using Tapatalk

Still R20k a service as per your quote, and any vehicle should be serviced once a year at least , but my point is that LR,s is just as easy or difficult to service as any modern car . In the old days we used to do the valve clearance, service the carburetor set or replace the points check timing do an oil an filter service . These days oil and filter is just about all you need to do
    Look clearly I'm not saying this in a way that anyone understands. It depends on how much mileage you do if you do 25 to 30 thousand kilos a year then you can expect a big service bill every second year. For every 50 to 60 thousand kilos you travel you need to replace the front lower control arms and the front disc's. Pads go quicker. Then on top of that you do a "big" service where you don't just change oil. Then on top of that if you are on 100 thousand kilos you need to do AT fluids and spark plugs. Plugs are R200 each.

It adds up, so just be careful is all that I'm saying.

If you can replace control arms at home then you are blessed, I don't think many people have the tools to do that.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

These days oil and filter is just about all you need to do
    I'd say I will never buy a vehicle from you. Do you even LOOK at the items that need servicing in the service schedule?

Do you pay ANY attention to diff oil, gearbox oil, transfer case oil, grease points, brake fluid replacement, PS fluid replacement?

What about timing belts, accessory belts, idler pulleys, automatic belt tensioners?

Good grief. " oil and filter is just about all you need to do". Indeed. If the car isn't yours or you are rich enough to fix the inevitable stuff up.

I sincerely hope your comment wasn't serious.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I'd say I will never buy a vehicle from you. Do you even LOOK at the items that need servicing in the service schedule?

Do you pay ANY attention to diff oil, gearbox oil, transfer case oil, grease points, brake fluid replacement, PS fluid replacement?

What about timing belts, accessory belts, idler pulleys, automatic belt tensioners?

Good grief. " oil and filter is just about all you need to do". Indeed. If the car isn't yours or you are rich enough to fix the inevitable stuff up.

People think they are much smarter these days, but 50 years ago the owners manual told you how to adjust valves, today it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery ...
    Last edited by D-tox; 2020/09/29 at 12:21 PM.
    D90
    D130

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    People think they are much smarter these days, but 50 years ago the owners manual told you how to adjust valves, today it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery ...
    new keyboard please, after I spilled the contents of my cup over it...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

And I recon you didn’t have to do that on all the older cars , oil change do not mean only motor oil , and I tried to change the timing belt ,only my car doesn’t have one . Service schedules was and always will be there . Point is if you have the time and knowledge it is just as easy or even more so to maintain your vehicle . Whenever I bought a new vehicle I use to buy the best workshop manual I could get ( saved me a lot of money) . These days you just need google and bobs your uncle . The worst thing is to get that sunken feeling if your car mis a beat . Learn to know your car and most of these horror story’s that mostly anti LR members on this forum spread will become a joke , and you will save a lot of money . As far as electronics goes it is most probable the most reliable part of a vehicle but also the most feared and you will almost always pay more than you should by sending it to a Indy or dealer ( they need a couple of years to find out the hiccups and you will pay there school fees ) . Ps I won’t buy a car from myself either , by the time I sell, it’s well used and I won’t expect much for it
    Using Tapatalk

I traded my Disco 4 V8 SE in earlier this year. It was a 2010 with 98000km. Could even be my vehicle. If it is my old car, then it is in great shape. Maintenance on it is quite expensive and as I am not very mechanically minded, I took it to Brad in Pmb for services. That machine is an absolute beauty to drive, but it might be a good idea to invest in your ow petrol refinery, as she is very thirsty. Nothing puts a smile on your face like that right pedal, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast