Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advise on a "lifer" overland vehicle

Hey guys I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I currently have a Toyota Hilux however it's coming up to its hundred thousand km mark and it's about time I trade it in before resale drops too much.

What I am quite annoyed about is that you spend a lot of time and money upgrading these vehicles but after sell them every 100000 to 200 000 km or so, often getting very little for all the upgrades.

I am looking for a dedicated lifetime overlander, and was looking at some options which include the 105 Landcruiser or a 70 series double cab.

I want something I can keep till the end of my days, but mainly only use for weekend's away or overlanding trips, not really for daily driving.

What would you guys recommend? Are the above two good options? Would you choose something else? It should I just stick with recycling the hiluxes?

Thanks very much.

Cheers.

J

Wink Re: Advise on a "lifer" overland vehicle

How about this Toyota double cab?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1609323507834.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	602651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1609323508928.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	602652  
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Advise on a "lifer" overland vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post

I currently have a Toyota Hilux however it's coming up to its hundred thousand km mark and it's about time I trade it in before resale drops too much.

What I am quite annoyed about is that you spend a lot of time and money upgrading these vehicles but after sell them every 100000 to 200 000 km or so, often getting very little for all the upgrades.

I am looking for a dedicated lifetime overlander, and was looking at some options which include the 105 Landcruiser or a 70 series double cab.

I want something I can keep till the end of my days, but mainly only use for weekend's away or overlanding trips, not really for daily driving.

What would you guys recommend? Are the above two good options? Would you choose something else? It should I just stick with recycling the hiluxes?

Thanks very much.

Cheers.

J
    Why not keep the Hilux, and dedicate it, to overlander use? At only 100k km and with planned use of only overlanding I would definitely not even think of selling it or getting a 79 (that will be less comfy and more thirsty) or 105 (that are starting to get long in the tooth now.. even if they are very reliable)

Then get a nice "fast and comfy" platkar for the daily grind.

That Hilux is perfect for overlanding

2021 FJ Cruiser

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much.

Cheers.

J
    J, I think one replaces vehicles frequently for one of two reasons, or both. The first is ego and the second is reliability/cost issues.

Some brands have a higher inherent reliability compared to others (real and or perceived). On this basis, I would stay with Toyota. It appears to have a high inherent reliability reputation and as you have owned these vehicles I am sure you can attest to this.

So, in the science of maintenance, the data suggest that the highest causes of failure are ''Infant Mortality'' (when something is new) and Random failures. The Bath Tub and Wear Out curves are relatively low, which surprises a number of people.

Your Preventative Maintenance schedule is based on averages but can be complemented with Predictive (oil sampling) and Condition (inspections) maintenance tasks which can prolong the life of your vehicle.

If you look at your current vehicle, you mention its on the 100 000km mark. I assume it is 1) Still fit for purpose; and 2) Performs its functions when required. If your application or requirement has change, it might no longer be fit for purpose (bakkie, Double Cab of SUV or, Platkar, 4x2, 4x4) then replace. If it still performs the functions safely and is fit for purpose, keep it, but look at a blended maintenance programme. If the cost of maintenance exceeds the cost of replacement, sell it.

Stay with Toyota.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

You can't keep a vehicle for life and worry about the resale.
    Last edited by RobH; 2021/01/18 at 09:44 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

This will all depend on your finances, can you afford to have a overland vehicle stand for 90% of the year essentially a very expensive toy?
    Coupled to this, how often do you camp or overland, how often will you use this vehicle? Oh and of course do you have space for another vehicle?

I think most would love to have a dedicated camping / overlanding vehicle, but most don't because of the above.

The which vehicle, should you go this route will all depend on your type of trips, how many people you are and vehicle only or do you tow something?

Cruiser 105, 200, 76 or 79, but as also said there's nothing wrong with a Hilux or even Fortuner for that matter.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    You can't keep a vehicle for life and worry about the resale.
    I largely agree with Rob but your point is also well taken. My unashamedly biased opinion.

*First point - Toyota
    *Second point - Land Cruiser
    *Third point - diesel
    *Fourth point - 70 series

I have a 76 series Land Cruiser, the old model with the simplest 1HZ 4,2l engine, not supplied any more. Model 2009, not used as my everyday get-about and has only done 160,000KM, including 53,000km on a long African trip 5 years ago. Still in perfect nick and with its comprehensive modifications will truly be our "lifer" overland vehicle.

*Fifth point - Rather go for a 70 series single or preferably a double cab. Probably second hand as I prefer the 4,2 diesel as opposed to the V8 engine, but many prefer the more powerful but more finickity engine.
    *Sixth point - Whatever modifications you do, including the storage in the passenger area, preserve one small seat for a guide, guard or the like as is a requirement in some places.
    *When doing modifications place the greatest emphasis on not carrying too much weight.
    *If possible keep the engine, bodywork and suspension as standard as possible so that it is easy to repair and work on wherever you might find yourself.
    *If you feel compelled to upgrade the suspension, make sure that when it breaks, and it will, you can still replace with original Toyota spare parts.

Have years of fun!!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Definitely what others said, why resell? 100 thousand for a hilux is barely run in...and you already have all the kits and mods, plus you know it and know its history.

Unless you need more space, otherwise don't bother.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2021/01/18 at 09:46 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

A hilux nearing 100000kms is a lifer...
    keep it. You’ll kick yourself if you sell that.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

According to your profile you are 35 years old and you would want a vehicle that lasts you until the end of your days. Hopefully it will not be the end of your days, but just to put a number to that, you would want something that could last you another 35 years.
    From this perspective I would either consider a Nissan Patrol or a Toyota Landcruiser. Buy as new as you can afford. For that reason, I wouldn't want to look at a 105 series Cruiser, since it would already be 13 years or older.
    2nd hand Landcruisers are more expensive than Patrols. There are different perceptions on the availability of spare parts, but I own a 1983 Landcruiser and still get all the spares I have required so far from the agents. Talk is, that it might be a little more difficult to get spares for an older Patrol from Nissan, I don't know.

Realistically speaking, if looking at a dedicated overlanding vehicle at your age, I would lower my expectations as to how long it should last. Work on 15 years for now. In that case your Hilux might make sense, so would a late 105 or a Patrol. Keep in mind that most Landcruiser Station wagon similar SUVs have got a payload of around 500 - 600 kg. Fitting lots of stuff eats into that very quickly. Therefore maybe a bakkie might be a better option.

If you think about "real" overlanding, as in crossing the boerewors equator, I would consider Toyota for the simple reason, that they are everywhere. You are more likely to find spares and someone able to fix a Toyota than most other vehicle brands.

Also think about a V6 Prado TX, they are vey popular in Africa and it's probably easier to find a good one than a decent 105. They 105 is either a donkey ( a nice one, but a donkey) with the 1HZ diesel engine or rather thirsty (range!) with the straight 6 EFI engine. The Prado is a little smaller, but gives you decent power and is a bit easier to live with in regards to fuel consumption.

Even though a little less popular, a Hilux V6 might be a good choice, too.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much.

Cheers.

J
    Mind giving us more details on the Hilux you have?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

I came to the exact decision 15 years ago, and swopped my then 2 year old 50 000 km Hilux for a 105 Cruiser EFI, with 150 000 km's on the clock.

It is now a dedicated (mainly) camping travelling vehicle and the amount for km's being traveled over the years, the fuel consumption is not an issue. It is now on 260 000 odd km's. It is cheap to maintain and does all it is asked to do. At the time i felt the Hilux soft in comparison, so i swopped.

I am thinking at some stage i should give it a proper make over, mechanically, as it smokes a little, does not use oil yet, valve stem seals probably a bit brittle, but nothing else, so i still want to wait a while i think. I am thinking, if i spend lets say R150 000 on it to replace seals, rubbers, clutch, proper do over drive train etc, it will still be cheaper than having a new model whatever. And all the modifications and extra's i have i can keep, as it is working well for me.

At this stage i think i made a good decision.

I do have a daily though, and i regularly say that i want to drive the Cruiser for as long as i am able to, and at my current mileage it will probably be well after retirement, i am planning on upping the mileage a bit though.

I think it boils down to how much you will travel with it.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryCH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Mind giving us more details on the Hilux you have?
    No problem, 2,4 SRX - 2016 model, prefacelift.

Bilstein suspension, Bushcab canopy, Tentco RTT, Wrangler A/T's - Upgraded sound system and navigation.

Gents thanks so much for all these thorough answers, the wisdom is quite astounding.

I am going to sit down tonight and reply to each post - I really appreciate this.

Its helped a huge amount, and built a lot of confidence in my current rig.

My first overlanding vehicle was a Colt 2.8 TDI D/C which turns 21 on 15 March this year. I still use it daily so you can keep a vehicle for very long if you look after it.

My second and last one is a 1Hz single cab Cruiser which turns 13 in July.

My wife's platkar is a 2.4 Fortuner 4x4 auto just over 1 year old with no mods besides dual battery and a Frontrunner drawer system.

I don't plan to buy another vehicle in my life and if nothing like an accident or theft happens it should be viable.

The Cruiser is only used for holidays and overland trips.

Stan, a question: Where do you put the small seat for the guide in a S/C 79? We were allowed into Ngoro Goro without a guide as there was no place for him to sit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	381.8 KB 
ID:	602682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	619.5 KB 
ID:	602683  
    Last edited by PierredW; 2021/01/18 at 12:42 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I largely agree with Rob but your point is also well taken. My unashamedly biased opinion.

*First point - Toyota
    *Second point - Land Cruiser
    *Third point - diesel
    *Fourth point - 70 series

I have a 76 series Land Cruiser, the old model with the simplest 1HZ 4,2l engine, not supplied any more. Model 2009, not used as my everyday get-about and has only done 160,000KM, including 53,000km on a long African trip 5 years ago. Still in perfect nick and with its comprehensive modifications will truly be our "lifer" overland vehicle.

*Fifth point - Rather go for a 70 series single or preferably a double cab. Probably second hand as I prefer the 4,2 diesel as opposed to the V8 engine, but many prefer the more powerful but more finickity engine.
    *Sixth point - Whatever modifications you do, including the storage in the passenger area, preserve one small seat for a guide, guard or the like as is a requirement in some places.
    *When doing modifications place the greatest emphasis on not carrying too much weight.
    *If possible keep the engine, bodywork and suspension as standard as possible so that it is easy to repair and work on wherever you might find yourself.
    *If you feel compelled to upgrade the suspension, make sure that when it breaks, and it will, you can still replace with original Toyota spare parts.

Have years of fun!!

Oom Stan with all your travel experience and owning a 76 I'm interested to know why you recommend rather looking at a single or double cab and not a 76 as per your fifth point?
    If you had to choose again would you rather get a 79 and why?

PS I think the ultimate overlander for 2 people will be a 76 or 78 with the 1HD-FT motor.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

My pick would be a 79 v6 double cab. Its cheaper to buy and maintain than the big v8 cruisers. Its also less finicky about fuel that the v8 and faster than the 1hz diesel on the long tar hauls. Only downside being fuel consumption.

As a purely overland vehicle any 70 series is tough as nails and a true tried and trusted overlander.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    .....Stan, a question: Where do you put the small seat for the guide in a S/C 79? We were allowed into Ngoro Goro without a guide as there was no place for him to sit.
    Pierre, I have seen a conversion where the 79 series (double cab) rear seat was removed and most of the space fitted with a light cupboard system plus a fridge-freezer. Only about 30% of the rear seat space was saved for a small seat just behind the front passenger seat, fitted to the existing anchor points. I am not sure what make of car seat was used but think there should be many options, it does not have to be elaborate.

During our travels there have been a number of occasions where a third seat would have been handy for a limited period. There are some places where a guide or guard is absolutely compulsory - Simien Mountains, Rock-hewn churches in Ethiopia etc. There are places to visit where taking a guide will greatly enhance the experience. Examples: many birding destinations, hiking destinations and where you might have to carry a third person temporarily, eg being directed to a remote campsite. This seat can be used for storage when no passenger and if you want to be "full" with no extra seat (Ngorongoro), it would be simple to arrange your packing to give that impression.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/01/18 at 01:55 PM.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Stan owning a 76 I'm interested to know why you recommend rather looking at a single or double cab and not a 76 as per your fifth point?
    If you had to choose again would you rather get a 79 and why?

PS I think the ultimate overlander for 2 people will be a 76 or 78 with the 1HD-FT motor.
    I would in fact stick with a hard-top, clamshell rooftop tent and a 76 series station wagon for 2 people in Africa.
    Some people prefer the live-in type modifications with a popup roof and this is where the bakkie (single or perhaps even double cab) is preferred. If I were for instance traveling colder climes like South America, Europe or Asia, this would be my choice.
    For 2 people the long-wheel base 79 has more storage space than 2 people should require. It is more unwieldy and has less favorable departure angles etc than the shorter 76 series. Is very difficult in South Africa to find one with the simple 4,2l 1HZ motor.

My ideal is as you state, for 2 people in Africa.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

In fact petrol (gasoline) is easier to find than diesel, throughout Africa.

All the millions of little Chinese motorbikes and tuk tuks run on petrol. In remote areas all you find is these light motorbikes.

It is the extreme thirst and therefore reduced fuel range that influences me. Diesel engines are usually less high-tec and less dependant on electronics. Also the wide-jet, old diesel engines tolerate dirty fuel far better.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast