Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...





Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    So, as I have mentioned in a previous post here somewhere recently. for the last (almost) year, the wife and I have been looking at options for a replacement car for her. We are now married 10 months, hopefully starting with a family soon, and seeing as I have written off 3 rims and tires on her car to date, we were looking at something bigger, the Fiesta was just not cutting it anymore....

    She really wanted something softroader, X-Trail or Sportage, and I was trying hard to convince her that a Patrol will be the ultimate mommy car....she still needs to commute with it on a daily basis, so a lot of boxes had to be ticked. About 6 months ago, we sat at a carwash, and a Nissan Pathfinder pulled up....6 months later, I finally found her a good one, and she drove it home on Friday afternoon, a 2.5dci 140kw LE manual, 160k km on the clock, fsh, manual, and looked after.

    Have not really had much gap driving it myself over the last 2 days, but she is absolutely amazed by it, and I have to admit, so far I am already liking it more than I thought I would.

    Looking forward to spending some time with the mommy car soon !!
    Last edited by Makro; 2021/01/17 at 06:07 PM.
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Good day all

    Any advice on intake system cleaning ? Over the weekend I removed the EGR spring and shaft, as per other threads on here, there is a lot of gunk that EGR valve. I have bought some injector cleaner today, will add to the tank on next fill up. Is there a product one can add to the fuel to help clean out the intake manifold etc ? A 76mm cat-delete downpipe is next up on the list. I can just imagine what the intake system and exhaust looks like inside after 160k km....is it worth while to strip the boost pipes of and maybe clean the throttle body out with something like carb cleaner spray ?

    I have only ever owned petrol vehicles, so not really clued up on all the diesel stuff yet....
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 279

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Makro View Post
    So, as I have mentioned in a previous post here somewhere recently. for the last (almost) year, the wife and I have been looking at options for a replacement car for her. We are now married 10 months, hopefully starting with a family soon, and seeing as I have written off 3 rims and tires on her car to date, we were looking at something bigger, the Fiesta was just not cutting it anymore....

    She really wanted something softroader, X-Trail or Sportage, and I was trying hard to convince her that a Patrol will be the ultimate mommy car....she still needs to commute with it on a daily basis, so a lot of boxes had to be ticked. About 6 months ago, we sat at a carwash, and a Nissan Pathfinder pulled up....6 months later, I finally found her a good one, and she drove it home on Friday afternoon, a 2.5dci 140kw LE manual, 160k km on the clock, fsh, manual, and looked after.

    Have not really had much gap driving it myself over the last 2 days, but she is absolutely amazed by it, and I have to admit, so far I am already liking it more than I thought I would.

    Looking forward to spending some time with the mommy car soon !!
    Also bought one recently after hunting for a well looked after one for many years.

    I really miss some small things that's in my Xtrail, but the 7 seats and extra power more than makes up for those things. But my wife still prefers driving her xtrail to work and back.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Also bought one recently after hunting for a well looked after one for many years.

    I really miss some small things that's in my Xtrail, but the 7 seats and extra power more than makes up for those things. But my wife still prefers driving her xtrail to work and back.
    Glad to hear there is another happy owner around !

    I am sure as just a daily commuter the Xtrail would have been better, but as a "do it all" car, the Pathfinder is really nice yes, and yes, the space is awesome ! Never really realised how big of a car it is.

    What is your average commuting consumption on yours ?
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 279

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Makro View Post
    Glad to hear there is another happy owner around !

    I am sure as just a daily commuter the Xtrail would have been better, but as a "do it all" car, the Pathfinder is really nice yes, and yes, the space is awesome ! Never really realised how big of a car it is.

    What is your average commuting consumption on yours ?
    For sure. Its a big car with lots of packing space. We love it.
    Our Pathfinder sits in the garage during the week. We dont commute with it.

    But town driving gives me between 8 and 9km/l.

    Our long distance is always towing and fully laden. I get about the same then.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    So, after just over a week with the Pathy, we are very happy so far. The wife is slowly getting used to driving the big car around, coming from the Fiesta, the more she drives it, the more she loves it !

    After the first weekend, picked it up on the Friday afternoon, just doing a few short trips around to shops etc, onboard computer was showing 13.0l/100km....

    Last weekend, I removed the EGR spring and shaft, and after the first week of wife commuting with the car, it came down to 10.3l/100km when I checked on Saturday morning. On Saturday, I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor, and this morning I did a pedal reset. After about a 150km day trip to Harties surrounds and back, it was on 9.8l/100km when we got home, with me driving.

    Got the car with a full tank of diesel, and it sits just over half now, so the plan is to re-fill when at 1/4 tank, and to add the NF Injector cleaner, and some Wurth Diesel Cure to the next tank.

    There is a new squeek coming from the right front suspension that will need some attention shortly....

    Lastly, the dealership fitted a new set of tires to the car as part of the deal, unfortunately, they did so before I had a chance to negotiate a pay in difference deal with them for tires of my choice....anyway, I got a new set of Bridgestone Dueller AT's, in 265/65/17. I do not have any past experience with these tires....any suggestions on pressures ? It looks like these have a soft sidewall....it looked a bit under inflated, and when I checked them this morning, they were at 2.4 bar ? Bumped them up to 2.6 bar, sidewalls looks better, and the ride does not feel hard or uncomfortable.

    Really looking forward to doing a decent trip with the "wife's" car soon !
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanked: 965

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Congrats on the buy, they are great vehicles.

    What colour is it? I keep expecting to see mine pop up on the forum , traded it in last year at just under 160 k km.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Congrats on the buy, they are great vehicles.

    What colour is it? I keep expecting to see mine pop up on the forum , traded it in last year at just under 160 k km.
    Thank you, there is really not a lot of negative comments on these cars...

    It is a Silver 2010 model...
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanked: 965

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Not mine.

    The Pathfinders are great, I could not go from the Pathfinder to a Fortuner, it felt like a downgrade.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    So with our day trip outing last weekend, on the highway on the way back, I noticed the cruise control was not working. The green light would come on in the dash, but no cruise control. After a few google searches, I had a few items to check out yesterday. Turned out to be a worn out clutch switch, adjusted it, and now the cruise control is working perfect again, took 5min !

    The wife was working from home this week, so did not get any update on the fuel economy, and also have not filled up the tank yet, to be able to add the injector cleaner and Wurth diesel cure, will get to that shortly...

    Any advice on a squeeky clutch pedal ?

    Any suggestions on a solid place for downpipe replacement in Pta ? Would prefer to have a place that can pre-fabricate one, I am sure it will be the same as in the Navara, then I can even buy one over the counter and just install myself....

    Has anyone replaced the boost pipes with s/s pipes on these 2.5's ? Worth it or not ?
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Makro For This Useful Post:


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Luckily I have not been sitting around holding my breath for any replies here !

    Anyway, here is a few updates for those interested !

    Over the last 2 weeks, I have installed a PowerPlus Throttle controller, a 76mm downpipe, to remove the cat, which was really blocked, and also added a egr blanking plate, even though I had already removed the spring and shaft from the egr valve, just for in case it was leaking.

    The reason for the throttle controller was to try cure the problem of a very unresponsive throttle, especially when pulling away from standstill. One had to pay close attention to throttle/clutch control, so as to not stall the car. The controller made a huge difference on the response, and have settled on a setting of 2.4 for now, which seems to be the sweetspot.

    The 76mm downpipe was done about a week after the controller, and also made quite a noticeable difference. Turbo lag is a lot less, and the car is a lot more comfortable to drive. Would have been interested to compare before and after power figures, but only thought of that afterwards, but with the increase in response, it at least feels like there is a few extra horses available. The car is not any louder than what is was, even in boost inside the car, with windows open or closed, but one can definitely feel the turbo spooling more freely now.

    The current tank of fuel sits at around 1/4 now, and was run with injector cleaner from NF, and also Wurth diesel cure, to try help clean the system out On board computer has settled on an average of 9.4l/100km, which is a massive improvement from the 13l/100km after the first weekend of owning it. And the 9.4 is with the wife commuting with it daily, which is combination of 50km total trip, half of it being robot to robot roads, and other half being more open "backroads", the usual 100km/h speed limit stuff, but no highway driving.

    The aircon system in the car works better than anything I have ever owned !

    Overall very happy with the car after the first few weeks !
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Makro For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Morning Hill, Bedfordview
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,686
    Thanked: 1242

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Hi Makro,

    Those Bridgestone are great tyres, I have had 5 sets now, between the Terrano and my Pathfinder, next time maybe go to 265/70 x 17s. They fit perfectly, gives a slight bit more height and puts the speedo overreading back to 100% in line with the GPS. The 265/70 x 17 are not available in those Bridgestones though.

    Next time I am going to try these in 265/70 x 17. Cheaper with excellent reviews: http://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/sa...70%20265%20192

    I find them a good match for wet and dry tar and not bad on dirt either. For milder trail they are adequate, just remember to deflate and also know they have only 2 ply sidewalls, so no rough stuff.

    Next on the list to make it a real toughie on 4x4 trails is a front locker. The Pathfinder has traction control, but it switches off when you go into Low Range, so then you sit with open diffs. A locker for the rear will be very expensive (R20k plus?), a better option is to bring in a front locker from www.Lokka.com

    I have one in my Pathfinder and one in my Patrol. Order it over the internet, pay by card and 2 or 3 weeks later DHL will contact you and ask you to pay the custom duty and VAT. Quick and painless. My regular Nissan Mechanic fitted mine for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/02/22 at 11:50 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Hi Makro,

    Those Bridgestone are great tyres, I have had 5 sets now, between the Terrano and my Pathfinder, next time maybe go to 265/70 x 17s. They fit perfectly, gives a slight bit more height and puts the speedo overreading back to 100% in line with the GPS. The 265/70 x 17 are not available in those Bridgestones though.

    Next time I am going to try these in 265/70 x 17. Cheaper with excellent reviews: http://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/sa...70%20265%20192

    I find them a good match for wet and dry tar and not bad on dirt either. For milder trail they are adequate, just remember to deflate and also know they have only 2 ply sidewalls, so no rough stuff.

    Next on the list to make it a real toughie on 4x4 trails is a front locker. The Pathfinder has traction control, but it switches off when you go into Low Range, so then you sit with open diffs. A locker for the rear will be very expensive (R20k plus?), a better option is to bring in a front locker from www.Lokka.com

    I have one in my Pathfinder and one in my Patrol. Order it over the internet, pay by card and 2 or 3 weeks later DHL will contact you and ask you to pay the custom duty and VAT. Quick and painless. My regular Nissan Mechanic fitted mine for me.
    Oom Malcolm

    The Bridgestone's would not have been my first choice, but the dealer fitted them before the purchase of the car, and also did so before I had a chance to discuss it with them, as to maybe have a say in what I would prefer, but, anyway, they are new, so will be stuck with them for a while ! After reading up on them a bit, it seems like it is a better tyre than what I initially thought, no complaints so far.

    The sidewalls looks very soft yes, have them back on 2.4 bar now, it looks pap, but even though they looked better at 2.6, the ride was a bit harsh on bumpy roads.

    I would like to do a 2" lift kit still, so next size will probably be a 285/70/17, but will get to that.

    I have read a lot of your comments here on the Lokka's, it is definitely on the list for future mods.

    It's a pity about the TC switching off in Lowrange, would have been nice to bypass that !
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Another little update....

    Over the weekend I noticed the driver side window's Auto function was not working. Auto down worked, Auto up nothing. This afternoon after worked I stripped out the switch, stripped it, cleaned everything with Elektro cleaner and air. All confident I put it back, with zero difference. Little Google session later, it turned out that the switch needed a reset....

    Window all the way down, then all the way up switch held in all the way, and then hold the switch in for 5 sec after the window closed...that's it, switch reset, works like a new one again !
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Makro For This Useful Post:

    Bex

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Morning Hill, Bedfordview
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,686
    Thanked: 1242

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Makro View Post
    Another little update....

    Over the weekend I noticed the driver side window's Auto function was not working. Auto down worked, Auto up nothing. This afternoon after worked I stripped out the switch, stripped it, cleaned everything with Elektro cleaner and air. All confident I put it back, with zero difference. Little Google session later, it turned out that the switch needed a reset....

    Window all the way down, then all the way up switch held in all the way, and then hold the switch in for 5 sec after the window closed...that's it, switch reset, works like a new one again !

    Makro, you need to re-programme it. The up and down one-touch needs to be set up. Normally just doing it one way will programme it for both ways, but then sometimes it loses either the up or the down programme.

    Normally to do that, you would push the button for it to go down. Hold the button in all the time, till it reaches the bottom, and hold the switch in the down position for another 5 to 10 seconds. It should set it up for the one-touch for both ways.

    For just doing the up function as in your case, make sure the window is open. Then hold it to go up all the way and hold the switch in the up position for another 5 to 10 seconds. It should set it up for the one-touch for going up.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/02/22 at 11:03 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    351
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Makro, you need to re-programme it. The up and down one-touch needs to be set up. Normally just doing it one way will programme it for both ways, but then sometimes it loses either the up or the down programme.

    Normally to do that, you would push the button for it to go down. Hold the button in all the time, till it reaches the bottom, and hold the switch in the down position for another 5 to 10 seconds. It should set it up for the one-touch for both ways.

    For just doing the up function as in your case, make sure the window is open. Then hold it to go up all the way and hold the switch in the up position for another 5 to 10 seconds. It should set it up for the one-touch for going up.
    Oom Malcolm

    Yes, that is what I did. The down was working fine, only had the problem with the up. After the up reset, it is working perfect again.
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 279

    Default Re: Finally, another Dustbin in the garage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Makro View Post
    Oom Malcolm

    Yes, that is what I did. The down was working fine, only had the problem with the up. After the up reset, it is working perfect again.
    Seems this is a Nissan thing.

    My xtrail periodically does this. Down works, but up not. Then I basically do the same steps and it works again.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •