Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Kids! And the wife...

This is probably just a bit of a rant, but hopefully someone will help me see the light

First, set the scene:
    There are 4 of us - myself, SWAMBO, and two little girls aged 3 and 4. SWAMBO recently offloaded her Q3 which was getting a little small in all the wrong places - and risky from a maintenance cost perspective.
    We also have a fairly kitted FJ Cruiser with 180000km on the clock. It is paid off - and has taken us to wonderful places together, and is also at the moment the daily driver, since it's the only vehicle we have.

SWAMBO is moaning about the space and fuel consumption in the FJ and has her heart dead set on a newish-to-brand-new white Fortuner as a mom's taxi. We really don't drive a hell of a lot... even pre-COVID work-from-home, we would do maybe 10km per day between home, school and offices.

Since she is the one Who Always Must Be Obeyed, happy wife happy life and all that, I am fairly supportive of the idea of a Fortuner as a daily run-around. Kids are going to get older and eventually there will be sport and all kinds of things that will make it more handy / comfortable / convenient than the FJ would be.

However - and this is where my dilemma comes in - how close is a 4x4 2.8 Fortuner to the FJ?
    Is it reasonable to think that the FJ will stand on its tyres between trips? How does one even prepare a car for that?
    And is it then even worthwhile to keep it ?

Default Re: Kids! And the wife...

If you do a lot of extreme 4x4 trips e.g Walvisbay - Luderitz desert crossing kind of stuff, keep the FJ as a trip vehicle. If you don't use your car much at all, need space and a good long distance vehicle with reasonable fuel economy, the Fortuner will serve you well as your only car. If you have some cash to kit it out I doubt there is much the Fortuner won't be able to tackle compared to a FJ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

You have a paid off FJ. Whatever the wife wants is fine, the Tuna will be very good for the purposes you mentioned. But real men don't sell their FJ's for silly reasons; if you have the space and don't need the money to put down towards the new car, I'd say keep your FJ!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

There are many threads on this forum of people airing their regret about selling their FJ.
    If you want to be one of them, go ahead, sell it for an exciting Fortuner.

On a different thread there was a hilarious comment regarding the Fortuner, that it is a great vehicle if you don't particularly enjoy driving.

To me the FJ is the opposite, a joy to drive.
    Keep in mind, that the FJ isn't produced anymore and soon you won't be able to find a new one anymore, on case the Fortuner doesn't do it for you.
    I would guess, since the FJ is a relatively popular vehicle, it will keep its value pretty well.
    Mine has, I still see the same year model advertised for the price I paid 3 years ago.

You say your FJ is modded. Remember you won't get much of the money you put into the FJ for accessories back, if you sell it now.

You got 2 small daughters, you don't need a 7 seater.
    If the FJ becomes too small because of packing space, get a trailer. The school run can be done in a sedan car, you don't need to buy a Fortuner for that. Unless your wife is the type that needs to keep up with the Johnses.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

some good advice here.

I would like to add, I think your thinking is more on the sensible side of things....

its okay to make the wrong financial decisions once in a while for the sake of your passions. You only live once.

I am going to assume from the content of the opening post that TrooperTripper is an overlander, or at least goes on camping holidays.

If that is the case, then he is a better man than me if an FJ has enough room for him to fit three females and their luggage, unless of course he is willing to tow a trailer.

Whether towing is a good idea or not and whether a Fortuner is the correct vehicle to replace an FJ with are cans of worms I don't necessarily want to dig into at this time.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Smile Re: Kids! And the wife...

The same happened to me, everyone complaining about rear doors difficult to get in, space etc. Sold my FJ and bought a "sensible" double cab but this only lasted 18months. I am now driving my second FJ - mostly on my own and enjoying every moment of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigben For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    There are many threads on this forum of people airing their regret about selling their FJ.
    If you want to be one of them, go ahead, sell it for an exciting Fortuner.

On a different thread there was a hilarious comment regarding the Fortuner, that it is a great vehicle if you don't particularly enjoy driving.

To me the FJ is the opposite, a joy to drive.
    Keep in mind, that the FJ isn't produced anymore and soon you won't be able to find a new one anymore, on case the Fortuner doesn't do it for you. ( The FJ is still imported to SA and sold by Toyota SA, no indication of it beeing discontiued yet)
    I would guess, since the FJ is a relatively popular vehicle, it will keep its value pretty well.
    Mine has, I still see the same year model advertised for the price I paid 3 years ago.

You say your FJ is modded. Remember you won't get much of the money you put into the FJ for accessories back, if you sell it now.

You got 2 small daughters, you don't need a 7 seater.
    If the FJ becomes too small because of packing space, get a trailer. The school run can be done in a sedan car, you don't need to buy a Fortuner for that. Unless your wife is the type that needs to keep up with the Johnses.
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

My suggestion: Buy the Fortuner for yiur wife, but buy a 2.4 4x2 mom taxi.
    Then when you want to go somewhere exciting, you take the FJ (and a trailer if needed.) you'll probably get a bit more for the FJ than the price difference between a 2.8 4x4 and the 2.4 4x2. But the comfort of having a second vehicle when needed trumps that in my mind.

You get to keep a paid off, exciting car to drive, and Wifey gets to drive a relatively comfortable, spacious mommy wagon.
    Win win.

Curveball.............

Why a Tuna, or ANY biggish SUV for that matter, if you keep the FJ??

Get someting platkar(ish)..........Suzuki Ertiga?? New Suzuki Brezza?? VW Caddy?? Rush?? Yes I'm serious.........some of these examples are a THIRD of what a new Tuna 2,8 will cost you.

So............FJ and a platkarrerige Car, at MUCH less than a

New Tuna as only Car

??
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

"SWAMBO is moaning about the space and fuel consumption in the FJ and has her heart dead set on a newish-to-brand-new white Fortuner as a mom's taxi."

I fail to understand the rest of your thought process. Obviously only been married for a few years. Shame, lot to learn.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I went from a 4l Prado 150 to a 2.8 Fortuner 4x4 and not regretting it a dy in my life. Yeah it is not as powered as the prado, but you get use to this very easily and quickly.

Just do the plundge. Downside, less power and not as cool as the FJ. Upside is less fuel, more space 7x seats in fact, newer car with maintenance plan and and and...
    Last edited by pase4x4; 2020/12/29 at 01:30 PM.
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

Tough situation. The 1 option it seems you have not considered is getting a new wife and keeping the awesome FJ.
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle

"If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ryzen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperTripper View Post

SWAMBO is moaning about the space and fuel consumption in the FJ and has her heart dead set on a newish-to-brand-new white Fortuner as a mom's taxi.

Since she is the one Who Always Must Be Obeyed,
    Firstly, I am sure you and the kids will miss your wife

Secondly, thats your first mistake. My life was happier once I let the wife know she will no longer be known as SWAMBO but I will be introducing her as the First Wife

Thirdly, thats how I feel about you getting rid of your FJ and I dont even own one.......................... yet!

Fourthly, go have your head read man!

Fifthly........................ wait, I will get to eleventy just now...............................
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Don't sell the FJ!!!

I'm one of those who has the t-shirt, bought a FJ brand new in 2012, kitted it very well, sold it in 2015, a huge mistake.

Luckily the FJ was/is SWAMBO's favorite car, thus bought a fully kitted demo back in Nov 2018.

Make a plan, but keep the FJ.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Here is somebody who knows cars. Petri is right.

We have had big cars. Useless in town, difficult to park, garages are inconveniently small for them, fuel economy is bad...

We have small cars. Smart is no good as mom's taxi. I bought Suzuki Dzire for SWAMBO. Just over R140 000.00. Current average fuel 5.6 l/100, plenty space and no manual rear shifting needed. Grand kids love it and it is not stolen/hijacked. There are other in the same range but they tend to be more expensive (and are stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Curveball.............

Get someting platkar(ish)..........Suzuki Ertiga?? New Suzuki Brezza?? VW Caddy?? Rush?? Yes I'm serious.........some of these examples are a THIRD of what a new Tuna 2,8 will cost you.

New Tuna as only Car

??
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Curveball.............

New Tuna as only Car

??
    Gotta agree here, well at least to an extent. Why a Fortuner, they are high risk in terms of Hi Jacking last time I checked, and you have a 4x4 for offroading and stuff. Just get her a nice platkar, lexus, bmw (5 series or so, and you'd be amazed how big the boot is) or similar merc, anyway, there are a lot of cars to choose from, so maybe go show her some other cars. Best is to go test drive something you never even considered, and check out all different kind of cars.

I'll quickly use my wife as an example. She loved the little hot hatches. So below is the sequence of cars bought for her:

1) 1.9 Polo TDI hatch
    2) Kia Cerato 2L Hatch
    3) Discovery 3 TDV6 ( I got gatvol of small hathces. At first she didn't want to drive such a BIG car, but she absolutely loved the drive in it, unfortunately I got the wrong fuel type Disco, so it had to go.
    4) F10 530D Bmw. Current car, had it for 3 years, and she has no intention of letting me trade it, unless if it is on a newer model or perhaps if I am lucky an M5.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Keep the FJ.
    Show your wife the Rav4 as well, the new Rav looks like a very nice car and costs less than the Fortuner.

You haven't yet said what types of trips you do and whether you pull a trailer, whether the FJ will still work as your holiday vehicle once the kids grow up.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

This is your problem:

This is your solution:

Keep your FJ (and your balls)
    Last edited by MANDREAS; 2021/01/04 at 10:25 AM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Wife coming from a Q3 with all the bells and whistles and down to a small car with little features or power? Dont think that kite will fly. Buy her what she wants its a sensible buy that Fortuner and still keep your FJ! Unless you must sell the FJ to buy the Fortuner?

Remember that 3-4 year olds tend to grow fast and getting bigger and bigger and the suitcases and luggage quickly more...for a smallish plat car im not a fan of as the presence on the road is less with all the taxis and inconsiderate people and drivers on the roads...rather bigger and more with your family inside is my view.

Good luck!
    Last edited by The TRANSPORTER; 2021/01/11 at 08:09 AM.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast