Default Trailer Electrical Jockey wheel

Hi you Guys I need some advise

I have a Metalian Parthian trailer with a Bundu Top roof top tent on top.

I am looking for a small trailer mover for my trailer as it isnít a caravan so doesnít need the heavy duty mover.

I have been on line and seen two, the Gen 2 mini mover from Takalot and one from SK Imports, Gokart.

I have bought the double wheel that fits under the existing jockey, this is the one which has inflatable tyres , ja it helps but not enough.

Have any of you guys had experience with these products or something similar or any other advise.

I know the trailer isn't all that heavy but when one gets in sandy area and the" house maker" decides that the orientation isn't perfect that's when the problem starts.

And at my age I do value my back and for +_ R8000 it might save on cyro bills

Any suggestion and cant find old post.

Maybe if I took the those Bottles out or moved them to the back it would help

Cheers
    Doug
    Touareg V6 TDI 2007
    Metalian Parthian Trailer with Bundu Top tent on Top.

Default Re: Trailer Electrical Jockey wheel

Just give the weight of the trailer loaded. There are different models available. The one where you use a drill might be suitable but depending on the weight.

Default Trailer Electrical Jockey wheel

Name:  IMG_5037.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  193.0 KB

I have a rockey jockey. I have owned this for four years. I would not be able to have my boat without this as my driveway is sloped and the angle of my third garage against the boundary wall is impossible to fit the boat hooked up to a vehicle. The boat weighs about 750kg.

With the rockey I can manoeuvre the boat completely on my own in the driveway.

I bought it second hand for 11k they are not cheap but definitely worth every cent!
    Last edited by Hooly; 2021/01/15 at 08:18 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swamboís mommy taxi)

I once had a long play with one of those electric jocky wheel movers, can't remember the brand. They work ok as long as they have traction.
    If you are on a slight down hill as in drive way at home you are screwed since most weight is towards the back and not on the trailer nose. If you are on grass or sand you are screwed since the jocky will simply dig in.
    The only way to counter the traction problem is to stand on the A-frame, but now you must be heavy enough but also not too heavy.

I have experience with the ewiks movers but as you say, you don't want big movers, however from my little experience with a jocky wheel mover and everything I read so far, a mover on the A-frame is not the way to go, what you want is something which moves the trailer wheels like the Ewiks.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

A good tip is to open the rear door and slide out the drawers to lower the nose weight. Mostly this will lift the nose completely.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot you guys for the info.

The rocky jockey works very well as my son has one that he uses to move his boat, but it would be to big to carry around\ fit in, for my trailer as the

TARE is 440 kg and the GVM is 1600 kg with 120 kg tow ball limit.

I get the point about the weight on the jockey wheel not being enough, which makes since, I am 83 KG and my wife 60 kg !! actually a bit less.

Moving the trailer at home is no problem as it is in the garage and the only time I have a problem is in some camp site, I haven't tried the moving of the draws and spare wheel carrier

Cheers
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 2021/01/16 at 09:56 AM.
    Touareg V6 TDI 2007

I wonder if there are forumites that actually installed caravan movers to their 4x4Trailer
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

I have an Oryx caravan and have looked at lots of products for moving it, my solution is my bakki and a strap. It has been worth the effort to get the vehicle close enough to the van, and is what is close to the right direction for the maneuver, fix the strap to the A frame and the tow pintle then pull.
    Saves my back as well.

Talking Re: Trailer Electrical Jockey wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I wonder if there are forumites that actually installed caravan movers to their 4x4Trailer

Hey Dungbeetle, that has made my day.

Can you come on holiday with me to the Kgalagdi in September so you can roll my trailer around with my wife supervising

Love it and thanks.
    :D
    Touareg V6 TDI 2007

I installed an Ewiks mover on my Sundowner last year during lockdown. The delivered cost was R13200 and it really works well. My Sundowner is considerably heavier than your trailer.

This was the first fitting Ewiks had done on a Sundowner and Kyle was extremely helpful.

It certainly makes life much easier.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

For my money a front tow hitch is the cheapest way to move your trailer around. I cannot park my boat in Dbn without this as it involves going down a steep driveway and then turning the boat through 90 degrees as you decend.

Fitting was a couple or k, like <3k and works very well for me. It is not the same as manuvering around without a vehicle, especially on poor/soft ground, but for me it works well. I am so over spending hours with the Physio trying to mend me following some stupidity so I am all about either
    a) using my strapping lads to do the heavy lifting.
    b) doing it with my car.
    I don't even bother manhandling my trailer onto the tow hitch any more. I only use the jockey wheel and rather manuver my vehicle until it is in the right position to drop the trailer onto the tow ball.
    If you go onto the lowrance.co.za website I see they also offer something that gets bolted onto your trailer, but i think this is only rated for trailers up to 1500kgs or so and was around 20k zar.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: