Making Canopy Door Open Higher

Default Making Canopy Door Open Higher

Hello all,

I have an Epic Gear canopy and have recently fitted a fridge on a tilt slide which is on top of a drawer system. The only issue is the right door of the fridge juuust hits the frame of the canopy door when opening the fridge. I removed the gas struts and opened the door straight up (90 degrees), and the fridge door opened shanana!

If you have any ideas on how I can change the mounting points on the door/canopy to make the door open fully, please let me know. Fitting a longer strut wont work as when I close the door the strut can't compress enough, so the door wont close.

Default Re: Making Canopy Door Open Higher

Quote Originally Posted by Ev09 View Post
    Hello all,

I have an Epic Gear canopy and have recently fitted a fridge on a tilt slide which is on top of a drawer system. The only issue is the right door of the fridge juuust hits the frame of the canopy door when opening the fridge. I removed the gas struts and opened the door straight up (90 degrees), and the fridge door opened shanana!

If you have any ideas on how I can change the mounting points on the door/canopy to make the door open fully, please let me know. Fitting a longer strut wont work as when I close the door the strut can't compress enough, so the door wont close.
    You need a combination of a longer strut, and moving the door strut mount closer to the hinge by the same distance as the difference between the new and old (compressed) struts. You will only need a difference of about 10mm.

You can of course just move the mounting point on the door about 10mm closer to the hinge. Or disconnect the struts and open the door to the height you require. Place the fully extended strut mount back against the door to see where the mount point should be. Just be aware that you may need to upgrade the struts as the leverage exerted by the door increases as the mounting point approaches the hinge. The old struts may therefore not be able to hold the door in the open position.

I did my Bantam canopy door recently as I kept on banging my head on the open door.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2021/01/15 at 10:09 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Then you attach a lenght of strap for wife to reach the canopy door to close it. 😂

4. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

Haha! Luckily I only have to worry about if I can reach it or not :P

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev09 For This Useful Post: