Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default square rod to normal pitch

    need advice please

    i want to change my lift jack that has a square rod pitch to a normal but stonger pitch ,i want to make it longer so it can have a longer reach

    the normal pitch i can get in ready bolt and thinking to go 20mm the square one is 16mm,i know the square tipe of pitch can handle the downwards pressure but cannot find that tipe of square anywhere .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    849
    Thanked: 903

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    It should be possible to cut square thread on a lathe. I think there's a very good reason why square thread is always(?) used.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    1,089
    Thanked: 1766

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    need advice please

    i want to change my lift jack that has a square rod pitch to a normal but stonger pitch ,i want to make it longer so it can have a longer reach

    the normal pitch i can get in ready bolt and thinking to go 20mm the square one is 16mm,i know the square tipe of pitch can handle the downwards pressure but cannot find that tipe of square anywhere .
    Your requirement is rather vague. Can you clear up:

    1. What a normal pitch is.
    2. What a stronger pitch is.
    3. How you intend fitting a 20 mm diameter rod in a 16 mm socket?
    4. How you intend changing the socket the rod runs in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    If it has a square thread, that's because it needs a square thread. Don't change to a "normal" 60-ish degree thread. Square threads are designed to handle axial loads (basically their sole reason for existing), "normal" threads are not designed to handle axial loads.

    You probably won't be able to buy a rod like that off the shelf and it would save you a whole lot of time and effort to pay up and get an engineering shop to cut a square thread on a shaft for you. It's a pretty straightforward job on a lathe.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBCT For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    1 normal pitch --anything from 1 to 10mm v pitch

    2 a stronger pitch -- 4mm pitch is stronger than a 1mm pitch

    3 i will drill a hole that will fit the chosen diameter and tap it

    4 it won't be needed to change the socket depends on the diameter of the ready bolt ext.

    ek is 'n machinist van beroep ,ek het nie tyd om vierkant skroef draad te sny nie so ek soek dit van die rak af dis nou 16mm diameter

    omdat ek langer travel wil he, wil ek dit verander na 18 of 20 mm ek kan die gat in die moer gedeelte oop boor en tap ,dis nie rocket signs vir my nie

    die probleem gaan kom as dit begin vrag vat, wat gaan die v skroefdraad maak ,dit moet 'n kamper van om en by 1 ton dra ,dit is nou as al 4 jacks op is op die kamper te lig en dan te laat sak op sy dolly ,

    dis 'n projek wat ek wil toets sodat ek ander kan raad gee.,dis 'n blinkgat camper van sarel en wil die staan jacks modify .

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    849
    Thanked: 903

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    1 normal pitch --anything from 1 to 10mm v pitch

    2 a stronger pitch -- 4mm pitch is stronger than a 1mm pitch

    3 i will drill a hole that will fit the chosen diameter and tap it

    4 it won't be needed to change the socket depends on the diameter of the ready bolt ext.

    ek is 'n machinist van beroep ,ek het nie tyd om vierkant skroef draad te sny nie so ek soek dit van die rak af dis nou 16mm diameter

    omdat ek langer travel wil he, wil ek dit verander na 18 of 20 mm ek kan die gat in die moer gedeelte oop boor en tap ,dis nie rocket signs vir my nie

    die probleem gaan kom as dit begin vrag vat, wat gaan die v skroefdraad maak ,dit moet 'n kamper van om en by 1 ton dra ,dit is nou as al 4 jacks op is op die kamper te lig en dan te laat sak op sy dolly ,

    dis 'n projek wat ek wil toets sodat ek ander kan raad gee.,dis 'n blinkgat camper van sarel en wil die staan jacks modify .
    Please let us know afterwards if metric pitch thread works. It will be interesting to know. My brain tells me the thread will want to bite. Not that I'm an expert.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    on heavy loads it will bite ,in my case yes ,now to plan B .

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hartbeespoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    207
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Those jacks are manufactured by RoadQ perhaps call them for an off the shelf heavy duty unit or replacement rod.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MickPrado For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanked: 1445

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Machining a long square thread would be challenging even for a very experienced machinest. I wouldnt even try. But then Im not a machinest.

    I think square thread as standard only starts at about 20 or 22mm in diameter. You probably would find stuff like that off the shelf oversees but here maybe its harder.

    I would think its quite costly as well. Square thread handles loads easier but I wonder how a 20mm v thread would hold up. ?

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    i have done this tipe square thread a couple of times and when i came at the workshop this morning ,what is waiting for me ,,the client asked me if i could repair the parking jack, nut that was stripped ,so i told him what i was up to and had a good laugh,so here is pic and a vidio if i can upload it

    asking around if a v tipe pitch could work ,all heads was shaking even the client said that he made a repair with the 60degree v pitch, but the pressure on the thread let it bind ,so there goes my plan then ,

    cutting the long square pitch is a challenge, but if you have a travel that runs with it ,it could work out ,but my longest is about 400mm .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    can anyone guide me how tp upload a vidio please .

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    35
    Posts
    416
    Thanked: 645

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    You can usually find longer than normal ACME type threads in the Mercedes and BMW jacks at a scrap yard.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    ok sticking to plan B, going to extend the legs and work it from there

    started to check the turning mechanisme out ,that is the 2 gears that turns the shaft just to see that the thrust bearing does'nt look right for me ,they took the 2 backing spacers out and let it run on the box and shaft ,now as you can see it is cutting in both supports ,

    i am going to take it up with the supplyers ,it won't be long something is going jam up ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210115_165221.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	602387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210115_165250.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	446.3 KB 
ID:	602388  

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    849
    Thanked: 903

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    can anyone guide me how tp upload a vidio please .
    As far as I have it, you have to upload it to a site like yootube en post the link.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    849
    Thanked: 903

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Machining a long square thread would be challenging even for a very experienced machinest. I wouldnt even try. But then Im not a machinest.

    I think square thread as standard only starts at about 20 or 22mm in diameter. You probably would find stuff like that off the shelf oversees but here maybe its harder.

    I would think its quite costly as well. Square thread handles loads easier but I wonder how a 20mm v thread would hold up. ?
    G clamps has smaller than 20mm shafts.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanked: 1445

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    G clamps has smaller than 20mm shafts.
    Yes but Im referring to off the shelf all thread in square . I think it starts at 22mm.
    I see on alibaba it starts at 10mm. The rest of the world is spoilt compared to us. A square thread is difficult to cut.The tool has little clearance and a big surface area in contact at all times.
    An acme or trapezoidal thread is much easier and just as good.
    Last edited by plunger; 2021/01/15 at 10:31 PM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    804
    Thanked: 1560

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Google "Thread Rollers", they should be able to knock something up for you.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,407
    Thanked: 2532

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Call around the usual suspects, BoltFast, Fowkes Bros, Top Fast etc and see what they say.

    If they don't have and it's so hard to do, pay some other sucker to sukkel turning it for you.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: square rod to normal pitch

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Call around the usual suspects, BoltFast, Fowkes Bros, Top Fast etc and see what they say.

    If they don't have and it's so hard to do, pay some other sucker to sukkel turning it for you.
    read post no. 10 ,

    so i will be the sucker then .

    alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •