Default Tow a boat from SA to Uganda and have full access to use it on your trip

Hi All
    Forgive the subject line, I had to find an eloquent way to start a post and I thought well if ever there was a way to get attention it would be that.
    AlthoughI have chosen the name LandyMan I'm actually driving a Prado today - and miss my V8 Defender terribly.

I have a weird reason for joining the 4x4 community. I lived for 10 years in Uganda - smashing time of my life, and I got sucked into an annual fishing competition for Nile Perch in the 80-90kg mark.
    I repatriated to SA a few years back but still have the luxury of participating in the comp annually (and end up hiring a boat locally at exorbitant rates each year).
    I want to buy a small boat and find a forum member to drive it to Uganda for me, as part of your overland trip. You would have full use of the boat for any river fishing all the way up and simply drop it off in Kampala or Entebbe.

Any members interested ? Noting COVID etc
    Of course I realise the risks of letting a complete stranger do this so I would want to try and reduce my risk somehow of a stranger disappearing with my boat but am open to discussing a range of options. Please let me know if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike the Landyman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tow a boat from SA to Uganda and have full access to use it on your trip

Are boats that expensive in Uganda?!
    Wouldn't it be easier to buy one outright there

Default Re: Tow a boat from SA to Uganda and have full access to use it on your trip

Hi Skylark, thanks for the response.

Boats in Keya/Uganda and Tanzania are crazy expensive -largely due that most expats bring them in via container, and then there is duty too. Some come from SA, most boats come in from Dubai, and a handful come from the east but not many. A smaller boat than mine with 25hp is/was selling for $6000 last year - its a captive market and supply/demand pushes the price way up. My boat or similar on Gumtree locally would fetch R20k ($1300). There is just no comparison. I have priced shipping it up but that too is crazy at +/-R70k.

As a hardened fisherman and overland enthusiast I have often felt I miss my boat on my Africa trips, Zim/Zambia/Moz etc and had this thought that maybe someone might be interested in turning an overland trip into a fishing trip, and so I took the plunge and registered to make this post.

I've moved it to the East Africa section and will let it lie there for a few weeks to see if I find any takers. Lots to discuss though in terms of insurance and much more first of course.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike the Landyman; 2021/01/15 at 12:10 AM.

That makes sense, it could be an interesting trip if someone takes you up on the offer, good luck!

Maybe you could relay it. A member takes it from here to Bots. Another in Bots takes it to Zam..... etc
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

How safe is a trip like this through Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Landyman View Post

Hi All
    Forgive the subject line, I had to find an eloquent way to start a post and I thought well if ever there was a way to get attention it would be that.
    AlthoughI have chosen the name LandyMan I'm actually driving a Prado today - and miss my V8 Defender terribly.

I have a weird reason for joining the 4x4 community. I lived for 10 years in Uganda - smashing time of my life, and I got sucked into an annual fishing competition for Nile Perch in the 80-90kg mark.
    I repatriated to SA a few years back but still have the luxury of participating in the comp annually (and end up hiring a boat locally at exorbitant rates each year).
    I want to buy a small boat and find a forum member to drive it to Uganda for me, as part of your overland trip. You would have full use of the boat for any river fishing all the way up and simply drop it off in Kampala or Entebbe.

Any members interested ? Noting COVID etc
    Of course I realise the risks of letting a complete stranger do this so I would want to try and reduce my risk somehow of a stranger disappearing with my boat but am open to discussing a range of options. Please let me know if interested.
    PM sent