Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Isuzu or Ranger

Default Re: Isuzu or Ranger

Iíve had Isuzuís (2.5 2.8 3.0) did about 180 000km on each no problems. Friend had a 3.2 Ranger he bought new and bought a new one so I bought his 2013 Ranger because the price was right and was time to replace the 3.0 Isuzu (320 000km) .Ranger now on 134 000km and no problems. If I had to replace my first choice would be the Ranger then Isuzu . Brother in law got a 2018 3l 4x4 and gearbox was replace on 27000km. He also got a 2.5 turbo both single cabs and used on farm. The 2.5 now over 300 000km no problems and cary 3x a week nearly 1000 l of milk.
    Go and drive both and the one you like and best price take it home. Enjoy and keep us posted

I am also (almost) in the market for a new vehicle (or second hand). I've spoken to a guy here in Mpumalanga who we deal with through our company, for bakkie rentals. In their fleet, they run Isuzu, Hilux, Rangers and Nissans (Hardbody). I've asked his opinion on the vehicles.

The Isuzu and Nissans, they rent out to mines and sites where they know the vehicles might be abused. His opinion to me was more or less in this line, in short...
    > Hilux is tough, but a very hard and unpleasant drive. Can be quite expensive to fix, but it depends.
    > Ranger is a very pleasant ride, but full of #### with breakdowns - a lot of electronic failures that they experience (e.g. sensors & switches and small stuff..)
    > Isuzu is also quite 'rough' ride, little bit older technology, but they are having the least problems with the Isuzu's and find them most reliable.
    > I did not ask him about the Nissans.

From my view, things to consider (depending on your circumstances I guess) are insurance cost and risk of hijacking/theft.
    For the reason of hijacking/theft and thus insurance, I avoid the Hilux. For the same reason, my thought is to avoid the Ranger. So I'm leaning towards the Isuzu (or even Mitshibushi), although the latest/current Isuzu model is not the most beautiful bakkie for me with those ugly "pulled back eyes"...

So if I were in your shoes now, I think it would be Isuzu, even though Ranger can easily feel like more value for money.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlomCo For This Useful Post:

Having just sold a 2016 2.2 XLS 4x4 D/C manual (facelift) with 110 000km I can tell you R299k is too much. We Buy Cars offered me R210K. I sold it privately for R285k. It is in pristine condition and the buyer said he looked at a few on the market and they were all crap. If it is in VERY good nick I will not pay more than R260k for it, but I will leave the negotiations up to you. That is just my take on the Ranger. I do not know Isuzus well enough to comment.

Edit: BTW I had it advertised here at R285k and got one half-hearted response. Sold it from Cars.co.za platform.
    Last edited by Blikka; 2021/01/19 at 11:04 AM.
    Wimpie Nel

Discovery 5

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blikka For This Useful Post:

Asking myself a similar question at the moment.

I'm looking for an automatic 4x4 double cab. Was pretty much set on the 2.2 Ford Ranger XL, until reading this thread and a few others. Now I'm not so sure.

Issue is very few auto Isuzusq listed for sale, and those that are, are out of my price range. Looking to spend R300k to maximum R320k, although preferably less.

It'll be my work and play vehicle, and will occasionally tow a boat (not much over 1,200kgs).
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2007 Volkswagen T5 4Motion

I am selling my 2013 3.2 DC 4x4 Manual soon Nube. PM if you want more details. It has 87 000km on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kadafi View Post
    Boytjie, lyste nou virie ballie..Hie is net twee vekeere anwoore hie innie comments..die een fooltjie recon jy moet die Toytjie koep en die anne outjie wil he djy moet die Ammarokie koep..Nou daai issie a slegte deal ni ma jyt gevra vannie Fordtjie of Kazooks ne?..Ek hettie VW en ek hettie 3.2 auto ma ek se jou, jy ga spyt wies as djy nie die Kazoos ga vattie..ko vertel ons oor 12 maane wat djy gedoenet..sodat ons vir jou kan ytlag, dis nou as djy die Fordjie gavat et..
    Mis ek nourrie Kaap...

I'm a Ford fan, and a ranger owner, but it its reliability you are after, then go Isuzu.
    I'm on my second ford replacement motor, but will probably buy ford again, just because `I like the looks, and the drive, and comfort of ford vehicles

So, there is a Isuzu on our radar. But it hit something hard and big with it's one front wheel. Apparently it was repaired, but there are no invoices to prove this. (We are in CT and both bakkies we are looking at is in Joburg. So we can't test drive or look at them personally)

The car is still under warranty. Not sure what ramifications such damage can have to the suspension, dif, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nube View Post
    So, there is a Isuzu on our radar. But it hit something hard and big with it's one front wheel. Apparently it was repaired, but there are no invoices to prove this. (We are in CT and both bakkies we are looking at is in Joburg. So we can't test drive or look at them personally)

The car is still under warranty. Not sure what ramifications such damage can have to the suspension, dif, etc.
    Get HenriS to inspect it 082 495 9252
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Sooo, I did a telly of the votes, 50% Isuzu and 50% Ford

I came across this:

Isuzu = Bakkie for the Plaas worker

Hilux = Bakkie for the Plaas Manager

Ranger = Bakkie vir die Baas van die plaas.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

We had both on the farm at the same time and bought them new.
    2.2 XLS manual single cab 4x4(118kw)
    3lt dtec Isuzu manual single cab 4x4.

The ford is still on the farm and the isuzu has been sold.

The 2.2 Ford is a lot lighter on fuel and is stronger without a load up to a certain speed.The Ford has more exstras than the Isuzu and drove a bit better on gravel and tar.
    The gearbox in the Isuzu is better for farm use.
    The isuzu drove better with a load but we had a few problems with the isuzu and it was sold when it whent out of the motorplan.(chassis broken twice,blown engine,clutch etc)

My vote will be for the Ford.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naas View Post
    We had both on the farm at the same time and bought them new.
    2.2 XLS manual single cab 4x4(118kw)
    3lt dtec Isuzu manual single cab 4x4.

The ford is still on the farm and the isuzu has been sold.

The 2.2 Ford is a lot lighter on fuel and is stronger without a load up to a certain speed.The Ford has more exstras than the Isuzu and drove a bit better on gravel and tar.
    The gearbox in the Isuzu is better for farm use.
    The isuzu drove better with a load but we had a few problems with the isuzu and it was sold when it whent out of the motorplan.(chassis broken twice,blown engine,clutch etc)

My vote will be for the Ford.
    Broken chassis and blown engin - surely it was a lemon, that does not easily happen
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

I know of about 5 Isuzu 3lt dtec single cabs that broke the spring supports on the right front.
    The engine was blown because the radiator supports at the top broke off and all the water leaked out.
    Temp gauge does not work when there is no water in system and this all happend while driving in the rain so could not see that the radiator was leaking.

First clutch was replaced after slipping,the wrong pressure plate and clutch was installed in the factory.
    2nd clutch was done because the flywheel got damaged with the wrong clutch that was installed the first time.

The list was actually a bit longer that mentioned above but the service was worse that what we received from ford so that was the main decision moving away from Isuzu.

I owned the Isuzu 300 D Tech 2009 model D/C 4X4for 5 years it was marvelous to drive smooth on the road could tackle any terrain with ease, till involved in an accident, wanted to buy it but could not afford Isuzu, then had to go for Ford Ranger 2.2 2016 T7 Auto, got at 125K Kilos
    nice to drive very economical on fuel than Isuzu
    i will opt for Isuzu but i am torn in between
    Tiego mottlhodi

I.M.O you'd be paying a little too much for either vehicle, given the mileage on each of them.
    I have to give away the numbers to put what I am saying into perspective.
    Recently got a clean 2016 3.2 XLT 4x4 with 61000kms listed for R339k, paid R329k (@ a Toyota dealership if it matters).
    My advice: 1. it is better to wait, a good deal pops up now and then (had been viewing and test driving for 6 months). 2 Personally I would not buy a car that I have not thoroughly inspected and tested (not a technician by any measure but can spot a rotten potato).
    (My advice would also apply to buying a property or a wife , big decisions)
    Reliability in vehicles is more or less like Russian roulette. Have a W203 C18 now @315k with a fair bit of issues, an uncle has same model with 290k s'miles, no issues whatsoever whilst he misses service by way more k's as opposed me being punctual with service and general maintenance.
    Just my 2c worth.

Last edited by N.K; 2021/01/26 at 10:48 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4