Default Power off the beaten track.

I have a 102Ah and want power off the beaten track. Mainly to run a Waeco 50L and some lights, possibly to charge them and camera batteries. Not to be plumbed in for now. Fridge to stand loose with cable from panel to the battery, and fridge running of cigarette lighter adapter connected to the battery.

I'm going to Set Power in Epping to buy a 100W panel and controller, looking at R2.5k

Am I going to be dissapointed in any way, by the performance of the panel/controller, or the company? Am I barking up the wrong tree..

Comments and Crit please.
    Last edited by ZuluCowboy; 2021/02/04 at 09:53 AM.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Default Re: Power off the beaten track.

Maybe just pop in at 4x4direct in Brackenfell 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by P Louw View Post
    Maybe just pop in at 4x4direct in Brackenfell 1st.
    Agree.

https://4x4direct.co.za/regulators/9...242001209.html

https://4x4direct.co.za/fixed-solar-...l-18-volt.html
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    I have a 102Ah ... a 100W panel and controller ...
    Am I going to be disappointed in any way, by the performance of the panel/controller, or the company? Am I barking up the wrong tree.
    How many solar panels does it take to charge a 100ah battery?
    Again we use the same calculation dividing power in watts by the voltage in volts to find amps.
    Charging your battery at 12 volts and 20 amps will take five hours to charge a 100 amp hour battery.
    By multiplying 20 amps by 12 volts = 240 watts is how big of a panel you would need, so we’d recommend using a 300w solar panel or 3 x 100 watt solar panels.

From here: https://www.renogy.com/blog/what-siz...a-12v-battery/

Another article:
    You can use amp-hours to figure out how fast your battery will charge as well. For a 100 watt solar panel, we already know that it produces 8.33 amps. In this case, 1 amp of current flowing for 1 hour charges the battery by 1 amp-hour. So 8.33 amps of current create 8.33 amp-hours of charge per hour.

From here: https://autobossrv.com/solar-power/

Rule of thumb I've used for years, having made sure the charge controller can charge at the amps I chose:
    8% of AH = 8.16amps - slow charge like for i.e. weekend use i.e. a Victron 75/10 MPPT.
    10% of AH = 10.2amps - daily use, not stressing the battery, heat buildup is controlled i.e. a Victron 75/15 MPPT.
    15% of AH = 15.3amps - Eskom failures i.e. fast recharge for Stage 2 and up, does heat up a bit more i.e. a Victron 100/20 MPPT.

20% of ah = 20.4amps - Very fast recharging AND the battery would heat up a lot more. So in a hot vehicle the charged better lower the charge amps based on battery temp i.e. a Victron 100/30 MPPT.

Not good to run a solar charge controller at max for extended periods of time, they also heat up.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/02/04 at 11:23 AM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    How many solar panels does it take to charge a 100ah battery?
    Again we use the same calculation dividing power in watts by the voltage in volts to find amps.
    Charging your battery at 12 volts and 20 amps will take five hours to charge a 100 amp hour battery.
    By multiplying 20 amps by 12 volts = 240 watts is how big of a panel you would need, so wed recommend using a 300w solar panel or 3 x 100 watt solar panels.

From here: https://www.renogy.com/blog/what-siz...a-12v-battery/

Another article:
    You can use amp-hours to figure out how fast your battery will charge as well. For a 100 watt solar panel, we already know that it produces 8.33 amps. In this case, 1 amp of current flowing for 1 hour charges the battery by 1 amp-hour. So 8.33 amps of current create 8.33 amp-hours of charge per hour.

From here: https://autobossrv.com/solar-power/

Rule of thumb I've used for years, having made sure the charge controller can charge at the amps I chose:
    8% of AH = 8.16amps - slow charge like for i.e. weekend use i.e. a Victron 75/10 MPPT.
    10% of AH = 10.2amps - daily use, not stressing the battery, heat buildup is controlled i.e. a Victron 75/15 MPPT.
    15% of AH = 15.3amps - Eskom failures i.e. fast recharge for Stage 2 and up, does heat up a bit more i.e. a Victron 100/20 MPPT.

20% of ah = 20.4amps - Very fast recharging AND the battery would heat up a lot more. So in a hot vehicle the charged better lower the charge amps based on battery temp i.e. a Victron 100/30 MPPT.

Not good to run a solar charge controller at max for extended periods of time, they also heat up.

In theory yes, but in practice for the typical leisure application I don't quite agree.
    Firstly you'll only use that 100Ah lead acid battery of yours down to 50% if you want it to last.
    This cuts your calculation in half, in other words work on putting 50Ah or 600Wh back in to the battery.
    A 100W solar panel charging at 5.5A for 5 hours will put 495 Wh back in to your battery.

My rule of thumb has always been a 100W panel per 100Ah battery, if you track the sun you'll get more than 5 hours, more than the 495 Wh and closer to the 600 Wh which you need in theory if you are down to 50%, but remember you most likely won't even go down to 50% before recharging since you have your solar panel out.

If you permanently mount your panels flat, then my rule of thumb is to oversize by at least 20 to 30% to compensate for no sun tracking, this leaves you with a 120 to 130W panel for your 100Ah battery.

Yes having 300W of solar will be awesome and it will work no doubt, but for a small setup with only a 100Ah battery it's not very practical not to even mention the cost.

Of course if you have a day or 2 with no or bad sun the entire picture changes, but then solar is the least of your worries, for that you need more storage capacity, more battery capacity.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    I have a 102Ah and want power off the beaten track. Mainly to run a Waeco 50L and some lights, possibly to charge them and camera batteries. Not to be plumbed in for now. Fridge to stand loose with cable from panel to the battery, and fridge running of cigarette lighter adapter connected to the battery.

I'm going to Set Power in Epping to buy a 100W panel and controller, looking at R2.5k

Am I going to be dissapointed in any way, by the performance of the panel/controller, or the company? Am I barking up the wrong tree..

As others already said look at 4x4 Direct.
    You won't be disappointed with a 100W panel, but for future expantion I would get a controller which can handle at least 200W in case your plans change in future, maybe you get another battery or decide to mount your panels, then you can easily get a second 100W panel.
    Look at something like the Victron 75/10 or 75/15 MPPT controller.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

I agree, the 300w articles are quite high in their requirements, for there is one point one must not forget about ... to avert disappointment, frustrations and disillusionment in solar.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    ... 600Wh back in to the battery.
    A 100W solar panel charging at 5.5A for 5 hours will put 495 Wh back in to your battery.
    ... if you track the sun you'll get more than 5 hours, ...
    I we work on +-600Wh to put back and we say 5 peak hours, anything more is a bonus, one would get 495Wh back, right?
    So ever so slightly on that bare bones calc alone, you are already a bit short every day, theoretically speaking, right?

Which brings me to the point one must NOT forget: When the 100w panel is recharging the batteries, are their loads that need powering too?

Normally the loads are on for 24h and with +-5 hours peak sun hours, theoretically the battery must supply power for +-19h?

The articles I posted, this point I'm now adding to them, is to avert disappointment, frustrations and disillusions in solar.

It is prudent to:
    1) make the effort to calculate the loads over 24h
    2) ensure that battery can take it, if you are brave, make it so that the battery can supply the loads for 2 days
    3) and then to make sure the panel/s can recharge the battery AND power the loads at the same time

Because if one does not get the numbers right, the battery will slowly drain over a period of days, never reaching 100% SOC, which with lead acid, should be done minimum once a week, using Trojan literature.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Ok, so my 50L Waeco, will it run for the 12 dark hours on a 102 battery, a Varta out of a Touareg, and will the 155w fold up panel I bought with a 20w controller charge it, or will I eventually sit with no power. Just said screw it and do it, Epping was closer than Brackenfell.

I will eventually go ravel for many days, but for now it is leave on a Thursday afternoon and return on a Monday.... that type of thing. Usually places with limited power.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.