Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zanzibar

Default Zanzibar

I am considering of doing a trip with my vehicle from Malawi up to Dar es-Salaam and then if possible a ferry with my vehicle to Zanzibar.

Is this feasible at all and what should a minimum time span for such a trip be?

If we can’t move with our vehicle over to Zanzibar, is there a place where can safely store our vehicle in Dar?

This is all considering Covid would make travelling feasible sometime in the future. No locked borders etc.

Default Re: Zanzibar

It is possible to ferry the vehicle to Zanz. I know the couple who did it. www.busny.cz. You can contact them for details. But they said it was very expensive. I would store the vehicle in Kimbiji Beach Lagoon Campsite.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

Alternatively you can go to Mafia and store the vehicle in Swedish mission in Nyamisati.

Or both (Zanzibar and Mafia) which we did. We left the vehicle at Toyota's workshop - we timed the maintenance stop so that we could leave the vehicle with them while at both islands. They were very helpful.

re "...what should a minimum time span for such a trip be?" You could probably do this in four days (three if you push it) - depending on where you are in Malawi: a day to Mbeya and a long two days, preferably three, to Dar es Salaam.

If you're starting from Blantyre, Zomba, or further south, then perhaps easier to spend the night at Mushroom Farm and head for Mbeya the following day, so perhaps budget five days and you have some cushion in case of unforeseen events.

PS: if we were doing this it would take us ten days, however obviously you're just planning to get from A to B.
    Last edited by alannymarce; 2021/01/14 at 11:21 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    I am considering of doing a trip with my vehicle from Malawi up to Dar es-Salaam and then if possible a ferry with my vehicle to Zanzibar.

If we can’t move with our vehicle over to Zanzibar, is there a place where can safely store our vehicle in Dar?

This is all considering Covid would make travelling feasible sometime in the future. No locked borders etc.
    Right now, Tanzania may be one of the easiest countries to travel to. They don't "do" Covid. Initially the borders were closed, but are now opened, at least on the Tanzanian side. No quarantines or tests required
    Haraka haraka haina baraka - much haste carries no blessing (Swahili proverb)

It is a simple matter to arrange public transport all over Zanzibar, from one end to the other. The costs are reasonable but might require negotiation and probably best booked via your accommodation to exclude the worst of the chancers. The distances are really not far.

We exchanged notes with some travelers that did ferry their vehicle across and all of them said they would not advise doing that. Your vehicle can very safely (and quite cheaply), be stored on the Tanzanian mainland at one of the many camping resorts. South of Dar es Salaam are places like Mikadi, Sunrise Beach, Kipepeo etc. It is a simple matter to then catch a three wheeled motorbike taxi (bajaji) to the ferry terminal in Dar and this is what most vehicle-based travelers in fact do.

Driving a vehicle and running the gauntlet of traffic and other officials on Zanzibar comes with many warnings and offers no advantage.

Minimum time?? I would spend at least a week to 10 days on Zanzibar, staying in Stone Town, the northwest and perhaps the quieter east coast as well.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/01/15 at 06:47 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you for the replies.

I would like to do the whole trip in 15 days, but if not plausible we’ll extend it. Driving will be 6 days so leaves 9 for not driving.

Please report back so others can learn or update .
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Last edited by FantomBadger; 2021/01/16 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Double

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Will definitely throw more ideas around and ask for advice once we are in the bookings phase etc.

I would have loved to take my vehicle there and camp, but we’ll go with plan B. If I can get a light enough tent it might still be an option. Will have to be catering included.
    Last edited by FantomBadger; 2021/01/16 at 08:33 AM.

Sadly its been a long time since I was in Zanzibar: but it was always a "no camping" destination for us. Partly because there is so much easy accommodation on the island, but also, as I recall, camping was not allowed.

Either way: I would just take advantage of the accommodation, and not have to worry about carrying all your camping stuff. And as others have said, transport is really easily arranged, or just jump on a matatu and immerse yourself in the local way
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

I agree, for a few days, worth it to spend some time staying in Stone Town and then a night or two at a beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    + + +

Gv,,
    Mark Harrison
    1995 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI
    2001 Land Rover Defender 90 TD5

,*<

Mark Harrison
    1995 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI
    2001 Land Rover Defender 90 TD5

Please have in mind that Zanzibar is full of Russians at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by botswanadreams View Post
    Please have in mind that Zanzibar is full of Russians at the moment.

Why is this an issue?

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

The Russian Tourists in Zanzibar are the formal all inclusive Tourists from Turkey, Egypt, Spain and Greek. They used to drink a lot and the behavior is not that we would like to stay with them in hotel together.

Quote Originally Posted by botswanadreams View Post
    The Russian Tourists in Zanzibar are the formal all inclusive Tourists from Turkey, Egypt, Spain and Greek. They used to drink a lot and the behavior is not that we would like to stay with them in hotel together.
    Have you seen the Saffers?

I think your post shows some bigotry..

We love Russians, they are good fun, hearty, and wholesome people who would do anything for a friend.. Try joining them next time. You will be amazed.

Also.. They have the most amazing looking woman!

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

We grew up in the GDR and had our own experience with them. If you like 100 gram Wodka many times on an evening than it is fine. If you like that they wast more than half of the foot they take from the buffet than it is fine. If you like noisy people than it is fine too. If you don't care about Covid 19 than it is time for you to join the mass tourism in Zanzibar now.

We are just back from a Tanzania Safari but without going to Zanzibar.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to botswanadreams For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast