Default Choosing an ideal Tentco configuration

We are a family of 4, and I would like to upgrade to a tentco setup as we start camping more often now. From my interactions and shopping around, it seems that all/most of the tentco products fit together like lego blocks, and this brings me to trying to figure out what is the best config I am looking for in our setup.

Essentially, my wife and I would share a dome, and the 2 kids likewise as well. This is where I need some advice or first hand experience from you guys as how it works best to join these two tents together while having a workspace for the fridge, table, and undercover etc.

Option 1: 2 senior wanderer domes, connected using the Double Box Extention as in the pic Option1. There there looks like there is space for a work area in the middle, but it looks like it doesnt offer too much shaded space in front of the opening.

Option 2: 2 senior wanderer domes, 1 Senior Gazebo, 2 Gazebo & Senior Bow Connectors, and TentCo Senior Gazebo Side wall. Essentially having a similar setup as option 1 excepting using a Gazebo which a couple connections and a wall or two. This is no doubt more expensive as there are more parts, but at least you have the option of using the Gazebo on its own, and it looks like it offers a bit of bigger work area in the middle.

I dont want to be shortsighted and purchase something that I am going to "upgrade" after a couple of trips, but I just want to find out if there is another option to look at?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Option1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	602255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	602256  
    Last edited by deanversfeld; 2021/01/14 at 12:33 PM.
    2015 Amarok highline 2.0 bi-turbo 4motion

Default Re: Choosing an ideal Tentco configuration

Why not opt for 2 3x3m dome tents, and a dining room shelter?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Why not opt for 2 3x3m dome tents, and a dining room shelter?
    Looking at this, can the 2 domes connect into the shelter to make it all a watertight structure, having one entrance point?

https://www.campandclimb.co.za/produ...SABEgKKJvD_BwE

Nope not really, the Dining shelter and the tents are stand alone.

I suppose it all depends on how you want to camp. I for one do not like the idea of getting out of my tent into my kitchen area and general storage area, but that is up to you. Also, I have teenagers, no way I'm sharing that closed space with them...he he.

I would go with option 2.

Gives you a lot more options and configurations.

Not all campsites will allow option 1 because of the length.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

nice products for the price. I used to use a senior baobab extension. Very nice.
    Load this in your bakkie - 2 large bags (tent+enxtension) and 2 bag poles and a fridge in the back and now you are starting to look for packing space for dry food, clothing, chairs and tables. Unless you have an trailer.

I packing space is not a problem good buy option would be my choice.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Nope not really, the Dining shelter and the tents are stand alone.

I suppose it all depends on how you want to camp. I for one do not like the idea of getting out of my tent into my kitchen area and general storage area, but that is up to you. Also, I have teenagers, no way I'm sharing that closed space with them...he he.
    My kids are 7 and 5, and I kinda like the idea of having a single entrance point to the "house", but I see your point with teenagers, especially being one in the past!

I think A LOT has got to do with personal preference as a camper which I respect, I like having everything together, in its place and structured.

Im leaning towards option 1, and maybe putting a smaller Gazebo infront so it can offer that stoep area outside the main tent and feel the wind in your hair as you watch the fire burn infront of you.
    Last edited by deanversfeld; 2021/01/14 at 12:52 PM.

Option 1 is perfect for you then, just check campsites for overall length, it is a big setup.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

We do have the Senior bow with the Extension, and a gazebo, so I do have a little experience.

As easy as it is to pitch the bow tent, pitching and ALIGNING the Extension with the tent, can be rather exhausting (and I assume, even more so If you have to align two tents and the extension - julle gaan moeg wees!). The combined weight of the roof and sides of the Extension can be a bit overpowering and it is also unwieldy. But it is worth while if you plan to stay more than just a few days.

We also had a look at the twin tent/double extension option, but I am of the opinion that there is simply to much space going to waste in the extension, due to having to allow for two tent entrances in what is basically the same floor space - too much unusable space.

We also have the benefit of a gazebo (not the concertina type) and have used it in the place of the Extension.
    This is a lot easier to pitch (my wife says I may not use the word "erect"), even if you move camp often, and is a lot more flexible, in the sense that you can add sides as the circumstances requires. You can even put a second (or third) tent perpendicular to the first one. And TENTCO now also provides for a tent/gazebo connector.
    You can even use a gazebo as a shade over your tent, when not used as an extension.
    If at all possible, try to visit TENTCO or Camp and Climb, to physically experience the above setups.

So now we have both options and depending on the camping trip, decide on our configuration beforehand.

As a side note: The Extension and the gazebo are both rather heavy, both to carry and to transport, the Extension may be a bit more so.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2021/01/14 at 12:58 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deanversfeld View Post
    My kids are 7 and 5, and I kinda like the idea of having a single entrance point to the "house", but I see your point with teenagers, especially being one in the past!

I think A LOT has got to do with personal preference as a camper which I respect, I like having everything together, in its place and structured.

Im leaning towards option 1, and maybe putting a smaller Gazebo infront so it can offer that stoep area outside the main tent and feel the wind in your hair as you watch the fire burn infront of you.
    Tentco Dining Shelter

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

I know the Senior Safari Deluxe Bow is more expensive than the Senior Wanderer Bow but in my opinion the third window, heat vent and outside & inside window closures is worth it!

Consider it
    Conqueror Courage 2016

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I know the Senior Safari Deluxe Bow is more expensive than the Senior Wanderer Bow but in my opinion the third window, heat vent and outside & inside window closures is worth it!

Consider it
    I agree with this. I upgraded as well, and the cap with verandah of the Senior nice when you don't use the middle section.

But if weight becomes a issue, 2 x Junior Wanderer Bow (20kg) might be big enough for you and save 26kg, compared to the Senior Safari Deluxe Bow (33kg)
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Whats nice with that combo is that the "door" to the dome doesnt have to open into the extension

bieng round you can have the door outside - so a bit more privacy - but dad is still close for protection or hidings

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks All, valuable feedback provided.

Im going to pop into Camp and Climb in Bellville try and try work things out.

I also dont want this to become 2 hours of tent setup for a weekend camping trip, kind of defeats the purpose doesnt it.
    Last edited by deanversfeld; 2021/01/14 at 01:36 PM.

This combo's is going to take same time to pitch does not matter which one you are taking and it is going to take most of the space in the back of a double cab. Maybe look at a used trailer with a Tentco rooftop tent and an awning and the children can sleep in corner of the awning. Look for Bushbaby etc that is simple and relative cheap and you do not have to pack and unpack every time after a weekend away. Going to cost you maybe R 10 000 more.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deanversfeld View Post
    Thanks All, valuable feedback provided.

Im going to pop into Camp and Climb in Bellville try and try work things out.

I also dont want this to become 2 hours of tent setup for a weekend camping trip, kind of defeats the purpose doesnt it.
    True, that's why I opted for the standalone option in my first post. The dome tents are 10 minutes each and the dining shelter should also take about the same time.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

For weekend camping trips we use two Junior Wanderer tents and a senior gazebo. Easy to set up and allows for flexibility depending on the campsite and conditions.

The setup is easy and not too time consuming allowing for more time to sit under the trees enjoying a quiet cold one or two.

Dean, in Option 1, as nice as it looks, believe me its a HELL of a job to pitch that "inter connecting" jobbie......got the t shirt, believe me.

And even if you eventually DO pitch that contraption, it gets so hot inside you have to unzip the rear wall anyway.........what's the use?

I'd rather look at 2 loose standing domes, with a loose standing gazebo, maybe just buy a "wall" for the gazebo for wind shelter.

Then - and yes I know they are VERY pricey nowadays........Oztent??

EDIT - if the Tentco, the loose standing gazebo/shelter can then also be used in a "L" configuration......with that extension thingie, you're always "bound" to a loooong, cumbersome, hot setup,
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/01/14 at 10:45 PM.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post: