Default Carbon build up on Pajero Gen4

After reading many reports on the internet (mainly Australian) I would like to know how many local Pajero's have problems with Carbon build up in the inlet manifold. Are catch cans etc that important.
    Peter

2006 Pajero Gen3 LWB 3.2 DiD
    2015 Pajero Gen4 LWB 3.2 DiD
    2019 Pajero Gen4 SWB 3.2 DiD

Default Re: Carbon build up on Pajero Gen4

Catch cans work. A few mods I think is important is a water trap (Pre diesel filter install), and blanking the EGR Valve).
    When you clean the intake go through the trouble of removing the tank and clean the pick up from sludge as well.

Carbon build up definitely happens on our local Gen 4 Pajero's but I would not classify it as a problem. I had mine cleaned at around 250k km and it was badly gunked up, but the car ran fine and I had no lights or anything (it was purely preventative). I think the amount of soot build up depends on the type of driving being done and the oils being used. I found no real difference before and after the cleaning but I am glad I did it. EGR blank will solve a lot of the problem and a catch can may be useful but I have not actually seen anyone with one installed.

Here is a pic of mine at when it was removed for cleaning. All in it cost me R4k for a professional clean, blanking and labour. Use new genuine gasket's.

Name:  Pajero - Intake Manifold.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  114.1 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Egr is the main culprit. Blank it off. I did it on my TD5. Seen it on a lot of cars with high milage. Around 200k km it gunged up. Some do and some dont
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam vd Merwe For This Useful Post: