Mini Hifi - assistance which one?

Default Mini Hifi - assistance which one?

My wife is doing a lot of needle work and would love a mini hifi with bluetooth and a remote control (to switch of if phone rings) and must have FM radio. As we are in Bela Bela I would probably have to buy online (which I donít mind). My problem is which one to buy? I have looked at the normal online offerings but they are so full of bling, fancy lights etc. - not our kettle of fish. I donít want to fork out top end money, budget +- R2k.

So far only a Phillips BTM2310 has caught my attention but no review. Any other suggestions?

As julle lag is daar moeilikheid.

Thanks
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    2020 Pajero 3.2L DiD Exceed
    Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Default Re: Mini Hifi - assistance which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    My wife is doing a lot of needle work and would love a mini hifi with bluetooth and a remote control (to switch of if phone rings) and must have FM radio. As we are in Bela Bela I would probably have to buy online (which I donít mind). My problem is which one to buy? I have looked at the normal online offerings but they are so full of bling, fancy lights etc. - not our kettle of fish. I donít want to fork out top end money, budget +- R2k.

So far only a Phillips BTM2310 has caught my attention but no review. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

A year or 3 ago I was looking for similar, my options was limited since one of my top requirements was also FM radio which was already quite scares back then in compact bluetooth speakers.
    I came across a Philips BTM2280 which even has a CD player, not that I ever use it.
    The Philips does a fine job, though in hindsight I could have skipped the FM radio part which would have given me so many more options, I think I used the FM radio for 5 days in the last year.
    If I buy again, I'll buy a bluetooth only speaker.

Look at this JBL, I don't have experience with this specific model, but have experience with many other JBL bluetooth speakers. https://www.connoisseur.co.za/produc...h-clock-radio/
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

JBL radio, R1600 from TA

I dont have one, but have plenty of other JBL speakers and soundbars. Seems to tick all your boxes and you know the sound will be good

Name:  5F4E88D8-65A1-49D8-A188-34E5AC7E10F3.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  29.2 KB

https://www.takealot.com/jbl-tuner-p...o/PLID52537851
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/01/13 at 07:42 PM.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

My wife uses a Google Mini to listen to the radio or if she wants to listen to her own choice of music she just asks the Mini to play songs via Spotify.

Great little device but not as loud as a mini HiFi.

Refurbished ones selling for R350 here : https://www.shopandship.co.za/access...rbished-detail
    Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post
    My wife uses a Google Mini to listen to the radio or if she wants to listen to her own choice of music she just asks the Mini to play songs via Spotify.

Great little device but not as loud as a mini HiFi.

Refurbished ones selling for R350 here : https://www.shopandship.co.za/access...rbished-detail
    its not fm radio, but streaming radio. not sure if the OP has the capability to stream radio stations.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Hi all, thanks so far, yes we can stream radio stations but how data intensive is that?
    Last edited by Tobie4x4; 2021/01/13 at 10:02 PM.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    2020 Pajero 3.2L DiD Exceed
    Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    JBL radio, R1600 from TA

I dont have one, but have plenty of other JBL speakers and soundbars. Seems to tick all your boxes and you know the sound will be good

If data is a problem, this is an excellent buy. Even if you dont use the tuner and are going to stream, it still is a great way to go.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Hi all, thanks so far, yes we can stream radio stations but how data intensive is that?
    I stream a station called Magic828AM (now in partnership with LM radio). On their website they used to claim that streaming mono was about 11MB/hour and stereo was 22MB/hour.

Then I found this URL : https://thewiredshopper.com/how-much...hole%20numbers. which claims streaming a radio station uses about 60MB/hour, which his probably closer to the truth.

I've never actually checked though...

As for speakers, I use these https://www.takealot.com/microlab-m6...s/PLID52087784, and I see they've come down in price. I connect via my laptop (either bluetooth or via cable) or to my phone via bluetooth. They do NOT have a built in tuner, but the sound (especially for the price) is incredible. I see they've come down in price - I think I paid about R1,100 about 8 months ago (beginning of lockdown) . I listen to them all day long, and I think they're brilliant...

Be warned, they are powered speakers, which doesn't make them very portable as they need to be plugged in to 220V all the time.
    Last edited by Ama-newbie; 2021/01/14 at 05:26 AM.
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If data is a problem, this is an excellent buy. Even if you dont use the tuner and are going to stream, it still is a great way to go.
    I bought one of these JBL units for my wife just over a year ago. It ticks all the boxes except for remote. It is small, sounds terrific and being Bluetooth, extremely versatile.

There is an updated model now selling for R1 999, if you are interested.

We are very happy with ours. Highly recommended.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OettingerTDi For This Useful Post:

if you are going to stream radio and sound fidelity and portability is not an issue then just get a amazon echo or the google alternative. Both are voice controlled so no need for a remote.

We use echo's in the house for to stream radio and while definitely not a hifi by any stretch they are more than capable for listening to background radio.

Big plus of streaming is your are not tied to what is available on your local fm spectrum, you literally have the world's radio stations at your fingertips.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/01/14 at 08:31 AM.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Personally I would go for the Google Mini instead of the Amazon Echo.

I had both ( but switched over to just the Mini's) recently due the following :

- Mini's have better sound quality than the Echo's - I assume this will be version dependent.
    - Echo's are overpriced - again version dependent.
    - I don't like the Amazon environment that much

In the end it comes down to personal preference - both are handy little devices.
    Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post
    Personally I would go for the Google Mini instead of the Amazon Echo.

I had both ( but switched over to just the Mini's) recently due the following :

- Mini's have better sound quality than the Echo's - I assume this will be version dependent.
    - Echo's are overpriced - again version dependent.
    - I don't like the Amazon environment that much

In the end it comes down to personal preference - both are handy little devices.
    I went echo because it plays nicer with apple products (I'd love an apple home pod but those are stupidly expensive), I also brought them in myself from amazon when they were on special so paid less than $25 each plus shipping. Locally they are overpriced. Apparently the new echo dot has much better sound quality.

What is nice with the echo (maybe google has it too) is that you can use BT or use an aux line to connect to a proper speaker for better sound.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/01/14 at 09:09 AM.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

User friendly to use. My vote goes for this solution.

Please give us feedback once decided and in use

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    JBL radio, R1600 from TA

Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

I have both JBL's listed above.

The Horizon sits next to my bed but I mostly use it as the clock only. I listen to Youtube music streamed through my TV at night. The Horizon also needs a constant power source and the plugs on them are huge. The aerial is also those long thin wire types and signal can be temperamental. The light is also a nice feature but I don't use it too often.

The DAB is a great little piece. Portable, rechargeable, uses USB to charge, extendable aerial, bluetooth and decent sound for its size. You can also use the DAB function in the cities to pick up a few stations from around the country but the normal FM reception is good enough and has RDS.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Tobie I recently decided I need the same in my office and was actually going to post on the Forum on Monday to ask suggestions! I first tried the streaming thing but it just left me frustrated. I then needed to go to our local shopping mall on Tuesday and went to a well-known (maybe only local) electronic supplier there.

My requirements were exactly like your wive's - FM & remote not negotiable, also bluetooth, good sound and reception and not look like a disco that just started; USB & CD a bonus, preferably less than R2000 but happy to pay a bit more for the right choice (read, good sound).

I was actually standing at the small systems, all costing between R2000 - R4000 and the salesman came to assist. I told him my requirements and he took me took the counter (where the cheaper and portable units were), and suggested this: https://govanmani.durban/product/pan...-hifi-schc300/ I paid R1600 for it. I am extremely happy with the purchase and the sound is excellent. I am in Durban so obviously the reception is good but can highly recommend this unit and it looks good. Just for interest sake, what he told me is that it has good "normal" level sound, as opposed to the small systems that have better loud sound, but I just now turned it up and the sound remains clear even at quite high levels.

The fact that it can take a USB and play WMA/MP3 CD's are actually also huge plusses.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

I have one of the below volcano speakers, also pretty decent. (but don't waste your time on the smaller ones)

https://www.takealot.com/volkano-roc...r/PLID52541387
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension