Leopard caught Dog at Bradnberg White Lady campsite. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Leopard caught Dog at Bradnberg White Lady campsite.

In this case a Pit bull would be better than other dogs
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Why, so it can team up with the leopard and attack the humans?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

One would think a bigger dog would be avoided by leopards but sadly this is not always the case.
    We had a German Shepherd taken by a leopard in the lowveld area. The dog was part of the K9 unit carrying out anti poaching on the property.
    The property is a Big 5 conservancy.
    It was after a patrol and the dog was already inside the boma camp area when the leopard jumped in and took the dog (it was around dusk).
    The boma camp was a temporary type structure set out in a certain sector of the property where operations were being carried out.

A couple weeks later, a female Shepherd (also part of the K9 unit) was at the main compound throughout the day with her handler.
    The handler had taken the dog down a large steep staircase a couple of times in the late afternoon and early evening to check if she needed to do her business.
    On both occasions the dog had shown signs of being uneasy when moving away from the compound with the handler.
    The handler did a scan each time but had not seen anything during the day and early evening.
    Before going to sleep much later that evening, the handler went out one further time with the dog. Knowing the area and the presence of Big 5, the handler and his team mate shone torches to check that the area was free of predators and any other dangers.
    At the base of the stairs sitting a few metres off was a male leopard.

If the dog had been let free to go down that stair case, it would have in all likelihood been taken by that leopard.
    It is likely that the leopard had been in close proximity to the compound throughout the day, due to the dog showing clear uneasiness when moving away from the permanent structure and into the veld with her handler each time.
    Is it coincidence that the leopard was lying in this position at the base of the stairs, seeing as the dog was taken down this route each previous time?
    It is highly doubtful that it was pure coincidence.

What must also be pointed out is that in both these instances, the different leopards were identified as being in good condition from visual inspections carried out.
    Each leopard was a resident of the different areas and not in anyway injured.
    Also, the area is abundant in natural game for these predators.

We should always be fully aware of the risks that exist when entering wild areas. For ourselves and for any domestic animals.
    Darkness especially poses an even higher risk when these predators are present.
    It is not to be in a state of constant fear but to have true respect for the environment we find ourselves in.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

Are you fishing?
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:

FWM

NTRyan, what a chilling account. So sorry for the dog which got taken

Just re-affirm my healthy respect, bordering on fear, towards leopards.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/12 at 11:23 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I have always regarded the Leopard (as well as Orca's/ KillerWhales) as the most supreme killing machine in nature. They are beyond spectacular.

There is no breed of dog that will survive a Leopard attack. There are well recorded instances of Leopards wiping out a whole pack of hunting dogs. Too much power, speed and intelligence. One of the few predators that kills for fun at times. Ask a sheepfarmer what happens when a Leopard gets into a flock, especially in a kraal where the sheep can not get out. Once the switch is thrown there is no stopping it. Apparently this happens as a way for the Leopard to stay in "practise".The only thing that gets a Leopard sometimes is Lions.

I have twice over the past 30 years hunted on farms devoid of any dogs (Thabazimbi and Northam areas), where the owners had just given up on replacing dogs. It seems Leopards really regard dogs a tasty snack.
    Jaco Nell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Name:  spoon.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  30.0 KB
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I have always regarded the Leopard (as well as Orca's/ KillerWhales) as the most supreme killing machine in nature. They are beyond spectacular.

There is no breed of dog that will survive a Leopard attack. There are well recorded instances of Leopards wiping out a whole pack of hunting dogs. Too much power, speed and intelligence. One of the few predators that kills for fun at times. Ask a sheepfarmer what happens when a Leopard gets into a flock, especially in a kraal where the sheep can not get out. Once the switch is thrown there is no stopping it. Apparently this happens as a way for the Leopard to stay in "practise".The only thing that gets a Leopard sometimes is Lions.

I have twice over the past 30 years hunted on farms devoid of any dogs (Thabazimbi and Northam areas), where the owners had just given up on replacing dogs. It seems Leopards really regard dogs a tasty snack.
    Also have a mate who has a farm close to Tolwe. No predators, purely hunting farm, his jack russels also like to "dissappear"

Once encountered a leopard drinking from the concrete plaas dam, which is about 100m away from the house

I'm not saying that the Anatolian Shepherd will necessarily win a full on fight with a leopard, but they seem to have been pretty successful in South Africa protecting flocks from them.
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Creative25 View Post
    On the 4th of January 2020 we were camping at the Brandberg White Lady camp.

That evening about 22:00 a stray dog was passing our camp site. We were at campsite number 5. Our kids including the Three year old still awake walking around.

That night there was also a young Elephant bull passing through the camping area.

We suddenly heard a strange noise thought it was the elephant. Shortly after we went to sleep.

Next morning one of the Workers told
    Is that a leopard caught a dog at camp number 15. So we went for a Walgreens to see if we could find the footprints. We thought we thought camp number 15 must be an unused campsite. We passed the road next to the camp sites and found the footprints. Blood and the marks of the dog being dragged. Campsite 15 was occupied,

The people told us the story. As they were sitting at the fire they heard a short squeaking of a dog behind them. When they turned around they saw a huge Leopard with a dog in its mouth. They err shocked, but also confident that they were not the target.

Question is it normal for Leopards to hunt and eat dogs?

Would you consider this camp safe for camping with kids?
    We found leopard tracks around our farmhouse 3 days in a row, and we kept the Jack Russels inside for the next two weeks until we were positive there were no tracks.

Even short walks we took a rifle in case.

Its amazing to know they are there, just scary when its so close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    I'm not saying that the Anatolian Shepherd will necessarily win a full on fight with a leopard, but they seem to have been pretty successful in South Africa protecting flocks from them.
    For Cape Leopards Ja, they are much smaller and more shy than leopards up north.

I dont think they would win a fight against a full grown Kruger leopard.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

On our ex-farm in Warmbaths we used to lose calf's to leopards.

If there are baboons on the area the leopards are not far behind.
    Padraic Berry

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    For Cape Leopards Ja, they are much smaller and more shy than leopards up north.

I dont think they would win a fight against a full grown Kruger leopard.
    Fully grown Cape Leopard male can weigh in as little as 40-45 kg's. A proper Kalahari/Bushveld/Botswana male can get up to 90 - 95 kgs. Huge differences, although same species, not sub-species of each other. Size is habitat dependant.

Many moons ago I was on a hunt on a farm north-east of Thabazimbi. There was a "tame" female Leopard on the farm. In the mornings she would get on the back of the LandCruiser with us, just like a dog, sniffing the air, enjoying the ride.She grew up with a Jack Russel and would play with it endlessly although she cleared out all the dogs in the nearby compound. Anyhow, in the afternoons when the LandCruiser came back to pick us up from the veld and start loading carcasses of shot animals, she would change totally. Smelling the dead animals and blood she would get possesive and all agitated. At the farmhouse it was only the farmowner that could get her away from the LandCruiser so we could offload the carcasses.

If she looked at me with those yellow eyes I would just look away immediately. I was quite scared and uncomfortable. One could tell from a mile away this was an animal with all the goods to do serious harm. I just kept my distance - anyhow, she was shot only a short while later by hunters thinking she was a wild cat and they did not know her history. But that encounter was quite something. I will not do something like that again.

Thing is Leopards kills in seconds. They cannot afford a drawn-out battle that may injure them or draw the attention of Hyenas and Lions. They are very good at finding the "soft spots" on prey from any angle.
    Jaco Nell

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

It's a sobering thought to think that it took the dog as it was possibly the easiest of meals in the area.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Creative25 View Post
    Just wonder why the Dog got taken.
    Lack of other food?
    Or did it see the Dog as a competitor for food? Or is it just plain normal.

To me a malnourished dog being eaten by a leopard is not such a bad thing. It got delivered from its misery. In towns there is SPCA at Brandberg there are leopards taking care of the Problem.

What bothers me is how close it came to the fire place without being noticed. Less than 10 meter. It must have followed the dog behind the bushes while it passed our camp site. The speed by which it attacked must be amazing. When it attacked. That just shows how vulnerable you are at such places.

Attachment 602041
    Just PLAIN NORMAL!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Fully grown Cape Leopard male can weigh in as little as 40-45 kg's. A proper Kalahari/Bushveld/Botswana male can get up to 90 - 95 kgs. Huge differences, although same species, not sub-species of each other. Size is habitat dependant.

Many moons ago I was on a hunt on a farm north-east of Thabazimbi. There was a "tame" female Leopard on the farm. In the mornings she would get on the back of the LandCruiser with us, just like a dog, sniffing the air, enjoying the ride.She grew up with a Jack Russel and would play with it endlessly although she cleared out all the dogs in the nearby compound. Anyhow, in the afternoons when the LandCruiser came back to pick us up from the veld and start loading carcasses of shot animals, she would change totally. Smelling the dead animals and blood she would get possesive and all agitated. At the farmhouse it was only the farmowner that could get her away from the LandCruiser so we could offload the carcasses.

If she looked at me with those yellow eyes I would just look away immediately. I was quite scared and uncomfortable. One could tell from a mile away this was an animal with all the goods to do serious harm. I just kept my distance - anyhow, she was shot only a short while later by hunters thinking she was a wild cat and they did not know her history. But that encounter was quite something. I will not do something like that again.

Thing is Leopards kills in seconds. They cannot afford a drawn-out battle that may injure them or draw the attention of Hyenas and Lions. They are very good at finding the "soft spots" on prey from any angle.
    100%, most of the dogs used to protect cattle are up in Cape Leopard area around ceres - and have been effective.

I would ### myself if I had a close encounter with a bushveld leopard - your experience sounds amazing, but man, it would scare me. I have seen what a cornered leopard can do in a few youtube videos, its amazing the speed and destruction those claws can cause.

On our farm we found were the leopard was taking calves to eat, but also a lot of big baboon skulls etc. There are no predators besides the leopards so they dont tree their kills, just take them to a kind of den. My FIL was riding his MTB one day and a female with two cubs crossed the road in from of him, she saw him, went into defensive mode, and started hissing at him, he pulled his side arm and slowly walked backwards, never turning his back.

Thats a terrifying experience.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

A Pit would make a nice Tree hanging ornament every time a Cocanut

Literally hours of CCTV footage on YouTube of leopards entering gardens and even houses to grab sleeping dogs. Mostly India and neighboring countries.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Knipe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    It's a sobering thought to think that it took the dog as it was possibly the easiest of meals in the area.
    Dogs are delicious.

Regards

Foo Qu Chow

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

This video gave me a healthy fear of Leopards

Last edited by JadeDsantos; 2021/01/12 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast