Leopard caught Dog at Bradnberg White Lady campsite.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Leopard caught Dog at Bradnberg White Lady campsite.

On the 4th of January 2020 we were camping at the Brandberg White Lady camp.

That evening about 22:00 a stray dog was passing our camp site. We were at campsite number 5. Our kids including the Three year old still awake walking around.

That night there was also a young Elephant bull passing through the camping area.

We suddenly heard a strange noise thought it was the elephant. Shortly after we went to sleep.

Next morning one of the Workers told
    Is that a leopard caught a dog at camp number 15. So we went for a Walgreens to see if we could find the footprints. We thought we thought camp number 15 must be an unused campsite. We passed the road next to the camp sites and found the footprints. Blood and the marks of the dog being dragged. Campsite 15 was occupied,

The people told us the story. As they were sitting at the fire they heard a short squeaking of a dog behind them. When they turned around they saw a huge Leopard with a dog in its mouth. They err shocked, but also confident that they were not the target.

Question is it normal for Leopards to hunt and eat dogs?

Would you consider this camp safe for camping with kids?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creative25 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Leopard caught Dog at Bradnberg White Lady campsite.

In the early 1990s we witnessed a similar thing. At the old Kwai Bridge linking the campsite to Kwai Village in Botswana's Moremi NP, there was a tall tree on the bank. We were called to take a look. Treed by the people of the village were two leopards, one with a domestic cat in its jaws, the other with a dog from the village.

The people of the village informed us that over the years that had lost many domestic pets to leopards, who seemed to regard pets as a tasty meal.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/01/12 at 03:21 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Back in the 90's friends of ours lived in Kariba town. They lost two boxers to leopards from their front garden in two separate incidents. This was not an uncommon event. I believe that leopard remain a threat to domestic dogs in Kariba even today.

We too had desert elephant walk through our campsite at Brandberg. Is it safe to camp there with children? I guess it is no different to any other wild camping with children, wild animals are always a potential threat, if camping with children you need to be extremely careful, cats/primates will very often target small children.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/12 at 05:29 AM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Creative25 View Post
    On the 4th of January 2020 we were camping at the Brandberg White Lady camp.

That evening about 22:00 a stray dog was passing our camp site. We were at campsite number 5. Our kids including the Three year old still awake walking around.

That night there was also a young Elephant bull passing through the camping area.

We suddenly heard a strange noise thought it was the elephant. Shortly after we went to sleep.

Next morning one of the Workers told
    Is that a leopard caught a dog at camp number 15. So we went for a Walgreens to see if we could find the footprints. We thought we thought camp number 15 must be an unused campsite. We passed the road next to the camp sites and found the footprints. Blood and the marks of the dog being dragged. Campsite 15 was occupied,

The people told us the story. As they were sitting at the fire they heard a short squeaking of a dog behind them. When they turned around they saw a huge Leopard with a dog in its mouth. They err shocked, but also confident that they were not the target.

People who insist on leaving their dogs outside outside of big Cities at night often loose their dogs to leopards who LOVE dog meat ..A Jack Russel will chase a leopard up a tree in the day and that same Leopard will take a Great Dane from under your chair around a camp fire ..A Leopard is an African Predator and African Predators are opportunists ..So in answer to your question ..Yes it is Very Normal for a leopard to eat dogs the more the merrier >> Hartebeestpoort Dam residents often wake up in the morning and Find 'Fido' the watch Dog has 'Been Stolen' and 2 days later come across the remains in a neighbours tree ..Dogs stay indoors at night out there. Leopards have been known to Kill other predators and my Section Ranger Mates in Kruger Park have found the odd Cheetah up a tree hung there by Mrs Spots as well as a tiny Baby Pink Elephant Calf . There is a Video doing the rounds of a Leopard hoisting a Rhino calf at a luxury lodge in Sabi Sands Game Reserve. Same rule applies to Kids ..If you are out in Africa Kids and Pet Dogs Indoors /Tent etc when the sun goes down Camping 101
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/01/12 at 06:35 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Have you seen the scorpions running around at White Lady campsite at night?

Many dogs are being taken on the edges round Windhoek by leopard. Many TV series about leopards hunting dogs in Cities in India.

Children will not be safe at night!
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/01/12 at 06:57 AM.
    Johan Kriel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Sorry to sound nasty but it's common knowledge that if you are camping in an unfenced or fenced off campsites in an area with preditor animals ie leopards, lions, hyenas etc, kids and adults are at risk. Hence follow guide lines ie back at tents before sundown, supper eaten before sundown, no foods left out to attract animals, keep kids next to you and not wandering etc etc etc.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

There were many stray dogs and cats at that campsite in early 2019.
    One night our son was so sick (with vomiting) we kicked him out of the roof top tents. He slept half out of a tiny nylon pup tent on the ground with the strays cuddling up to him for warmth... not sure he’d be so keen now hearing the story above!!!
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

Yes.

It's never safe, specially at night. Remember last year the kid that was taken inside a fenced camp in the KNP by a leopard.

Baboons and dogs, leopards love them the perfect snack.
    I would not let my children wander around after dark in any remote area.

Just wonder why the Dog got taken.
    Lack of other food?
    Or did it see the Dog as a competitor for food? Or is it just plain normal.

To me a malnourished dog being eaten by a leopard is not such a bad thing. It got delivered from its misery. In towns there is SPCA at Brandberg there are leopards taking care of the Problem.

What bothers me is how close it came to the fire place without being noticed. Less than 10 meter. It must have followed the dog behind the bushes while it passed our camp site. The speed by which it attacked must be amazing. When it attacked. That just shows how vulnerable you are at such places.

Name:  IMG_3159.JPG
Views: 2326
Size:  184.5 KB

A leopard is the most calculating of the predators, the dog is food unless it's large enough to present a danger. My guess is that this was a smallish dog so it was food.

I don't think many dogs will pose a threat to a hunting leopard.
    If you compare a dog with a baboon (one of the leopard's staple foods), the baboon has much more physical strength, and larger canines.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Maybe they compete for Rabbits.

The real question is did you smell popcorn? https://wildlifeact.com/blog/the-sme...ts%20territory.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    A leopard is the most calculating of the predators, the dog is food unless it's large enough to present a danger. My guess is that this was a smallish dog so it was food.
    I honestly don't think even a full grown 90kg Boerboel in prime condition will be much of a challenge for leopard, especially a male leopard. In my view this particular dog was there, easy meal, done, end of story.

In reference to the OP: kids are always at risk from a variety of predators in unfenced or wild campsites. Kids should be kept close and preferably in the tent at night fall. But leopards can be present during the day as well, so best not to let kids run around the entire campsite like hooligans anyway. Personally I shudder when people take their 2, 3, 4 year olds to place like Mabua and CKGR.

A leopard on the hunt will hide itself and nobody will know it is there. Heck, they hide themselves even if not hunting. I think many of us have had leopards very close to our campsites without us even knowing about them. Of all the predators, leopards are the one's I fear the most due to their secretive nature and the deadly nature of their attacks.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/12 at 08:45 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I honestly don't think even a full grown 90kg Boerboel in prime condition will be much of a challenge for leopard, especially a male leopard. In my view this particular dog was there, easy meal, done, end of story.

In reference to the OP: kids are always at risk from a variety of predators in unfenced or wild campsites. Kids should be kept close and preferably in the tent at night fall. But leopards can be present during the day as well, so best not to let kids run around the entire campsite like hooligans anyway. Personally I shudder when people take their 2, 3, 4 year olds to place like Mabua and CKGR.

A leopard on the hunt will hide itself and nobody will know it is there. Heck, they hide themselves even if not hunting. I think many of us have had leopards very close to our campsites without us even knowing about them. Of all the predators, leopards are the one's I fear the most due to their secretive nature and the deadly nature of their attacks.
    I have no doubt a leopard will have a serious advantage over a large dog in a fight, but that's not the issue. For a leopard if there's even the slightest chance of injury it will look for easier prey at a lower risk, unless it has no choice. This is why in the majority of cases of human predation you will find the leopard was in some distress. You have to remember that as a predator a leopard does not have a pride or a pack to nurse it through an injury in terms of food provision.
    Last edited by River Rat; 2021/01/12 at 09:00 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    For a leopard if there's even the slightest chance of injury it will look for easier prey at a lower risk,.
    Agreed, just saying that in the (hypothetical) case where a big healthy dog is chosen as the next meal for whatever reason, my money is on the leopard.

Even a sickly leopard does huge amount of damage.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/01/12 at 10:12 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I doubt if a leopard will prey on large dog like German shepherd etc., unless it fast asleep that he can take it without any resistant's. Contrary to the believe that leopards prey on baboons, yes it will take a baboon but again the baboon will have to isolated that he can kill it before the rest of the pack is on him. Baboon males are not afraid of a leopard and will attack a leopard if he dare coming close to them.
    Johan Kriel

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

There is many YouTube videos of leopards taking dogs. Even big awake dogs.

It must be the saddest thing to see a leopard take your pet
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast