Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Braking ability of Hilux 2008

The braking ability of my 2008 Hilux V6 is bad. Was 2x bleed at Toyota agency and the report stated "in Toyota specifications" Braking pads about 60% left. Rear braking pads replaced. I'm still not happy with the breaking. What can be done to improv the breaking ability? if I compare it with the new Hilux my 2008 model is only about 60% of the new models. I tow a Explore caravan. What mods con be done to help the breaking?

Default Re: Breaking ability of Hilux 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Nico H View Post
    The braking ability of my 2008 Hilux V6 is bad. Was 2x bleed at Toyota agency and the report stated "in Toyota specifications" Braking pads about 60% left. Rear braking pads replaced. I'm still not happy with the breaking. What can be done to improv the breaking ability? if I compare it with the new Hilux my 2008 model is only about 60% of the new models. I tow a Explore caravan. What mods con be done to help the breaking?
    As far as I know, the breaking ability of all Toyotas is very bad. They just don't break.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Do the brakes feel spongy when you use them, or otherwise not right? Or is it "just" the braking distance?
    What you can check is that the load sensing valve for the rear axle brakes is set correctly. If you e.g. have a lift it needs to be re-adjusted, otherwise it won't allow enough braking force on the rear wheels.
    After that you could consider a Powerbrake conversion.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Check your your Explorer's brakes and adjustment. The car could be braking for both, the Explorer needs to carry it's own braking load.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Do the brakes feel spongy when you use them, or otherwise not right? Or is it "just" the braking distance?
    What you can check is that the load sensing valve for the rear axle brakes is set correctly. If you e.g. have a lift it needs to be re-adjusted, otherwise it won't allow enough braking force on the rear wheels.
    After that you could consider a Powerbrake conversion.
    Could be this. Also if larger tyres are fitted this seem to have a pronounced impact as well.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Do the brakes feel spongy when you use them, or otherwise not right? Or is it "just" the braking distance?What you can check is that the load sensing valve for the rear axle brakes is set correctly. If you e.g. have a lift it needs to be re-adjusted, otherwise it won't allow enough braking force on the rear wheels.After that you could consider a Powerbrake conversion.
    It is not spongy, It is just that the stopping distance let me feel that unconfutable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Check your your Explorer's brakes and adjustment. The car could be braking for both, the Explorer needs to carry it's own braking load.
    With the Explore in tow or not it sharp breaking. Feel that you had to step hard on the break pedal to get the Hilux to stop.

Try different brake pads, the compound can make a significant difference especially in initial bite. That helps with modulating the brake curve and the initial bite is a major component of how "powerful" brakes feel.

Power brake is apparently one of the best aftermarket pads: www.powerbrake.co.za

I'm sure others can recommend other brands that they have used successfully.

It's probably worth first trying the good quality cheapies, I'd try ATE first and then Ferodo. If I remember correctly for better initial bite you'd want a softer compound, semi organic not full metal sintered, although each manufacturer has their secret sauce so it's not a hard and fast rule.

Pads are typically very easy to fit DIY as well, a 20min job on most vehicles, the biggest pain is just getting the vehicle on stands and the wheels off. Have a G-clamp at the ready if you need to retract the calliper pistons and watch the brake reservoir when you do that so it doesn't overflow.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/01/11 at 11:45 AM.

The brake compound may be a little hard for longer life. Check if there is not a softer compound but this will increase brake wear.

My Ford has great breaking ability
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

It is not spongy, It is just that the stopping distance let me feel that unconfutable.
    I am a notorious late braker (bad habit) and often catch myself out, having to stand on the brakes last minute. Is it possibly driving style?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    The brake compound may be a little hard for longer life. Check if there is not a softer compound but this will increase brake wear.
    The pads will wear quicker but the benefit of that is your discs will wear slower.

Maybe compare your Hilux with a similar one? If all checks out I can help with Powerbrake discs and pads. This is an easy enough and relatively inexpensive upgrade. If you really want to go whole hog, we have a big brake kit as well. This is usually for heavily kitted vehicles or guys that tow heavy.
    Wicus Diedericks

Do you brake hard enough for the ABS to kick in?

Company bakkies all have Power brake discs and pads.
    On the 2009 double cab I sometimes forget about the cars weight and when applying the necessary force to stop in time the ABS always gives me a fright as I never manage it on the other cars that I drive.
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2021/01/11 at 04:06 PM.

Also from 2009 the Hilux came with bigger brakes up front.
    The 15" wheel models had smaller brakes. From 2009 the Hilux got the same brakes as the Fortuner of the time.

I think the Hilux had 319mm discs which was much bigger than any of the other double cabs of that era.

So if its a really a big problem you can go Scrap yard hunting for the later model Hilux or Fortuner brake calipers and discs.
    But you will have to change to 16" or bigger wheels go clear the bigger caliper
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2021/01/11 at 04:18 PM.

With the Explore in tow or not it sharp breaking. Feel that you had to step hard on the break pedal to get the Hilux to stop.
    Is your brake booster working properly? Have that checked out, too. I don't know whether you got a hydraulic or vacuum powered brake booster, but if it got an internal leak, a faulty membrane or vacuum pipe, it doesn't boost properly anymore and you have to step that much harder onto the pedal in order to get the same braking power to the wheels.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: Braking ability of Hilux 2008

I would get hold of power brakes all around. If you really want to go big add braided brake lines. I did not find a huge difference with power brakes in my amarok, but I am not a hard braker. I know they say the improvement on the older hilux's is huge so it may well be worth looking at.

I have a full set of brakes ready for my wife's fortuner when the brakes are due as they were running a special so I thought it worth grabbing the deal. Give them a bash and I am sure you will not be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Maybe compare your Hilux with a similar one? If all checks out I can help with Powerbrake discs and pads. This is an easy enough and relatively inexpensive upgrade. If you really want to go whole hog, we have a big brake kit as well. This is usually for heavily kitted vehicles or guys that tow heavy.
    I did send a Mail to [email protected] yesterday but still waiting for the reply.

I am disappointed... I see the thread title has been corrected. Which means my pun no longer works...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Give us a brake!
    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I am disappointed... I see the thread title has been corrected. Which means my pun no longer works...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast