Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Well, this is if Squirrel does not close the provincial borders...

    I need some info on what route will be the best to take to Tankwa from Rustenburg and what route from Tankwa to Storms river.

    I will be towing a camper van (might be relevant to know)

    Both times we plan to sleep over enroute, so a suggested stay over place would be great!!

    The Campsite at Tankwa is the Perde-Kloof site and assistance for the best route to the campsite and the travel time from the gate to the campsite would also be appreciated, as this will determine my overnight point.

    Thanks!!!
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Bump
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    625
    Thanked: 343

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Travel from Rustenburg to Kleinzee. There you get onto the R355 all the way down via Tankwa, to Ceres, from where you can follow any route to Storms Rivier. That way, you would have traveled the longest dirt road in SA
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyks For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    Travel from Rustenburg to Kleinzee. There you get onto the R355 all the way down via Tankwa, to Ceres, from where you can follow any route to Storms Rivier. That way, you would have traveled the longest dirt road in SA

    Thanks, sounds interesting, but I do unfortunately have a limited time frame
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    I assume no one has been to Tankwa from my side of the world

    Doe anyone maybe know how far it is and how long it takes from the main office reception building of this park, to the perde kloof camp site?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    45
    Posts
    75
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I assume no one has been to Tankwa from my side of the world

    Doe anyone maybe know how far it is and how long it takes from the main office reception building of this park, to the perde kloof camp site?
    Nope. On my bucketlist. My boet's been there, but he lives in CapeTown, so his input won't help.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Welkom
    Posts
    525
    Thanked: 402

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Personally i would go N12 to Britstown, then Carnarvon, Williston, PerdeKloof.
    Laingsburg, Oudshoorn, George, Storms River.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcoP For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,048
    Thanked: 377

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I assume no one has been to Tankwa from my side of the world

    Doe anyone maybe know how far it is and how long it takes from the main office reception building of this park, to the perde kloof camp site?
    Sorry, also come in from the south so can't help with routing. I would phone reception and ask for advice, when we were there a couple of months ago the road to Gannaga Pass was terrible, so maybe not the best entry point, but gravel roads change constantly.

    Perdekloof is only about 8kms from reception.

    With a trailer, I would suggest sites 1, 5 or 6. 6 probably has fairly limited shade, 3 & 4 are quite small.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Sorry, also come in from the south so can't help with routing. I would phone reception and ask for advice, when we were there a couple of months ago the road to Gannaga Pass was terrible, so maybe not the best entry point, but gravel roads change constantly.

    Perdekloof is only about 8kms from reception.

    With a trailer, I would suggest sites 1, 5 or 6. 6 probably has fairly limited shade, 3 & 4 are quite small.

    Thanks Malcolm
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/01/12 at 09:16 AM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    604
    Thanked: 124

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Hi Andrew ...

    Zero experience on the route - sorry

    But I have always wanted to camp next to Van Kloof Dam - not a huge detour if you go down via Hopetown.

    Also Williston is a real gem just a very long 1st day travel to there.

    A lot gravel is nice but towing on gravel not always fun

    Enjoy


    Nico
    Last edited by NvD42; 2021/01/12 at 10:24 AM.
    Nico van Diemen

    '91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

    '05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to NvD42 For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    62
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 175

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Thanks, sounds interesting, but I do unfortunately have a limited time frame
    We have travelled various roads towards the tankwa and surrounds in the past...give me an idea what your time frames are from start to finish. Don't worry about the distance from the office to Perdekloof...it's not more than 15-20 min drive if I remember correctly. Take some nice hiking boots with...nice small valleys and hills to explore. Stunning sunsets as well...We were booked on no 2 at the time

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    46
    Posts
    234
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    We drove to Tankwa in December from Pretoria.

    I would also suggest the N12, Britstown, Carnarvon, Williston route. About 67km after Williston is a gravel road turnoff to Tankwa which takes to the Gannaga pass (photo is taken on Gannaga pass). The pass was not too bad in December with some sinkplaat on the way there here and there but overall not too bad. It's about two hours from when you turn off onto the gravel to reception. FYI at Tankwa reception you can only buy firewood.

    I can suggest stopping over at: https://www.safarinow.com/go/zeekoeg...self-catering/ It's between Vosburg and Carnarvon on a gravel road. Quite a nice spot and they can make dinner an breakfast for you as well if required.

    Going out you can exit towards the R355.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to mve100 For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,752
    Thanked: 6234

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Not sure if this will help but we went down to Williston (close enough?) a few years ago via Upington N14 most of the way and then turned down to Brandvlei. Worked great for us (apart from Kuruman which I will skip).

    Stayed at Sakkie se Arkie in Upington on our way down. http://www.arkie.co.za/facilities.html

    Did Vanwyksvlei - Prieska - Douglas - Kimberley in reverse on our way back, but would say I would have rather done the Upington route again.
    Pieter le Roux

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Langebaan
    Age
    61
    Posts
    793
    Thanked: 1405

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Bump
    It is what it is!!

    Markus and Zelda van den Berg
    FJ Cruiser Fangirl/boy

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 1012

    Default Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Totally off topic, but I think itís worth mentioning: we were at Perdekloof Dec 2019, site #1. The first day the water was perfect, then the second day it was fuming with sulfur smelling gas and taste. Thankfully we had an additional 120L water which we then used for everything.

    Watch out for the baboons, they will snatch anything when you turn your back.





    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2021/01/13 at 02:00 AM.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    We have travelled various roads towards the tankwa and surrounds in the past...give me an idea what your time frames are from start to finish. Don't worry about the distance from the office to Perdekloof...it's not more than 15-20 min drive if I remember correctly. Take some nice hiking boots with...nice small valleys and hills to explore. Stunning sunsets as well...We were booked on no 2 at the time

    We leave Rustenburg on the 31st Jan
    booked in by Perde Kloof on the 1st to the 4th, then leaving for Storms Rivier Mond, booked in at the 5th
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by mve100 View Post
    We drove to Tankwa in December from Pretoria.

    I would also suggest the N12, Britstown, Carnarvon, Williston route. About 67km after Williston is a gravel road turnoff to Tankwa which takes to the Gannaga pass (photo is taken on Gannaga pass). The pass was not too bad in December with some sinkplaat on the way there here and there but overall not too bad. It's about two hours from when you turn off onto the gravel to reception. FYI at Tankwa reception you can only buy firewood.

    I can suggest stopping over at: https://www.safarinow.com/go/zeekoeg...self-catering/ It's between Vosburg and Carnarvon on a gravel road. Quite a nice spot and they can make dinner an breakfast for you as well if required.

    Going out you can exit towards the R355.

    Thank You very much !!! Very useful for me at this point
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanked: 7785

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Totally off topic, but I think it’s worth mentioning: we were at Perdekloof Dec 2019, site #1. The first day the water was perfect, then the second day it was fuming with sulfur smelling gas and taste. Thankfully we had an additional 120L water which we then used for everything.

    Watch out for the baboons, they will snatch anything when you turn your back.






    Not off topic at all in my opinion

    Thanks!! We need this info, as there is very little info going around regarding this park..

    Question: The Baboons, are they threatening? Can you leave your trailer set-up and go hiking etc?

    Must I take a Kettie?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/01/13 at 07:55 AM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,048
    Thanked: 377

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Not off topic at all in my opinion

    Thanks!! We need this info, as there is very little info going around regarding this park..

    Question: The Baboons, are they threatening? Can you leave your trailer set-up and go hiking etc?

    Must I take a Kettie?
    Kettie always travels with!

    We have never had a problem with baboons at Tankwa or Storms River, they seemed to be wary of people, in both places, and don't seem as destructive as the baboons in Bots can be. Places like Augrabies and Natures Valley are a real problem.

    I realize this is a generalization, before I get shot down.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:


  27. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 1012

    Default Re: Help me travel - Rustenburg, to Tankwa, Tankwa to Storms Rivier

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Question: The Baboons, are they threatening? Can you leave your trailer set-up and go hiking etc?

    Must I take a Kettie?
    We never found them threatening at Tankwa, more of a nuisance. But that was a year ago, and it was incredibly dry, so then they get desperate for food and water.

    Never had any issues at Storms, only seen them once on the walk to the suspension bridge.

    But taking some deterrent is always a good idea, rather have it than not.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •