Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: I want a Jimny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    I have had my Jimny since Nov 2018, if the traction control could be turned off, I would know about it. Please give the reference in the manual where it says the traction control can be turned off.
    Read from page 3-58 onwards as stated in my post
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Well it seems Suzuki does not agree . In the manual on page 3.56 It states that the ESP Program consists of three parts
    1 Stability Control
    2 Traction Control
    3ABS

It then states on page 3-58 "When the ESP off switch is pushed and held to turn off the ESP systems (other than ABS off) The manual says you can put off traction control. Havent had a chance to test with my JIMNY. So SUZUKI disagrees that TC cannot be put off.
    Okay... so say you get a cross axle with you Jimny and loose traction on 2 wheels. What is the system called that takes you out?
    4wd-L ESP off..
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Okay... so say you get a cross axle with you Jimny and loose traction on 2 wheels. What is the system called that takes you out?
    4wd-L ESP off..
    Just quoting the manual.
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by DustGypsy View Post
    My friend with the manual Jimny used to be a VW salesman and had training on those systems, he showed the dealership's staff that day....
    You hold down that bottom for 5 seconds, I will not put my head on a block regarding what exactly gets turned off, but I can tell you I felt no more interference.
    The only thing you can turn off when in low range is "hill hold".
    ESP can be turned off in high range, but reactivates over 30kph.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Read from page 3-58 onwards as stated in my post
    I just read that section (and the rest of the chapter). Nothing is said about traction control at all.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED

Well whatever, hold down the button for 5 seconds and make your Jimny better.
    Suzuki Gypsy - The lighter side of life

Hi Vic

How do you turn off "hill hold"?

I just know about the "hill descent control" and as far as I know its off by default and you press the button to switch on when you go down a decline?
    Willie Knoetze

Hill descend is off be default, you have to turn it on manually, in any mode.
    Pull away on an incline is on in all modes by default, not sure if you can, or want to switch it off.
    Methinks there is a mixup with the other terms and understanding them, must take the new one out on trail again, see what it does.
    Been driving the older model lately, must say, I enjoy the man/machine/brain interface more than the man/machine/brain/computer one.....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

En Petri, as gevolg van jou post, het 'n klomp mense Jimny's gaan koop, en gaan hulleself gate uit geniet.
    As ek jy is, gaan ek so skuldig voel daaroor, dat ek sommer 'n Jimny gaan koop.......
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

I will restate my first post:
    Well it seems Suzuki does not agree . In the manual on page 3.56 It states that the ESP Program consists of three parts
    1 Stability Control
    2 Traction Control
    3ABS

It then states on page 3-58 "When the ESP off switch is pushed and held to turn off the ESP systems (other than ABS off) The manual says you can put off traction control. Havent had a chance to test with my JIMNY. So SUZUKI disagrees that TC cannot be put off.

Note the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) Has THREE systems as above.

On page 3-58 And I quote. My comment in red

When the ESP OFF switch located at the instrument panel is pushed and held to turn off the ESP systems (other than ABS)(
    In other words the Stabilty control and the Traction control. Above it stes there are three systems within the ESP) čThe ESP light in the instrument cluster comes on. When you have turned the ESP systems (other than ABS off), turn them back on before resuming ordinary driving.

‚ÄčThey keep referring to systems and seeing that ther are only three systemns in the Electronic stability systems i would assume as any logical person would that deactivating the ESP systems(note the plural) other than ABS can only mean that Stability Control and Traction control ( being the only two other than ABS) are switched off. I cannot vouch for whether this happens BUT this IS what is in the manual. If your manual does not have these paragraphs then it different to the 2021 manual. Your statement that ESP and traction control are two different systems is incorrect, as very clearly stated ion the manual where it says the following The ESP has the following three systems , Stability Control, Traction COntrol and ABS. I will not comment any further. Shoulkd you wish to disagree go ahead but either you have a different manual OR you are not reading it properly.
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez For This Useful Post:

To be honest I havent touched a manual yet but I have tested it offroad. I did notice you can switch off ESP in high range but in comes on above 30km/h again.

I have also put it in lowrange and then the ESPoff light comes on. Then I have put it in a cross axle and the traction control took me trough.

You are right though ESP and traction control are not two different systems. Traction control is part of the ESP system. I dont care what the manual says my point remains that you cannot switch off traction control.

You do get 2 types of traction control though. In platkarre when you switch ESP of you switch the traction control off to allow wheel spin. The Esp on a platkar will cut engine power to gain traction
    However the Jimny has an offroad traction contol system. Where the Jimny relies on the traction control to make it more capable offroad. Also the traction control in the Jimny wont cut engine power the traction control uses the brakes. It brakes the wheels with no traction and the differential transfers power to the wheel on the opposite side of the axle.
    Willie Knoetze

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Hi Vic

How do you turn off "hill hold"?

I just know about the "hill descent control" and as far as I know its off by default and you press the button to switch on when you go down a decline?
    Again according to the manual in 4L press and hold the ESP OFF switch for a while will deactivate Hill Holdcontrol system 3-58
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez For This Useful Post:

FWM

According to my friend he knew about this feature because Suzuki uses the same system as VW, speaking under correction but I seem to remember Bosch is the OEM.

On the 4x4 track I mentioned I found the hill descent control VERY unnerving, it feels like it kicks in just a second too late, so you get you hollow stomach feeling and then it starts working.

Held down the button at the bottom of the track halfway through, crawled through the second part like it did not exits, including cross axle humps on and uphill right at the end.

That's the only spot that caught out my Gypsy, needed to use momentum there.

My dream car is a GA spec with auto and ALL the other fierterjaasies except AC and PS removed........250K sounds good

Man, now I also want a Jimny, however with a baby on the way, I feel the lack of rear doors, and space constraints may just make it too impractical.
    But I don't doubt there'll be people here that may be able to persuade me otherwise. Haha.

I saw they're about to start production in India, hope it's not a case of "Oh, you have a Japan-built Jimny....those are the good ones."
    Didn't see the article myself but apparently there are (again) rumors about a 5-door Jimny to follow soon.

Man, now I also want a Jimny, however with a baby on the way, I feel the lack of rear doors, and space constraints may just make it too impractical.
    But I don't doubt there'll be people here that may be able to persuade me otherwise. Haha.
    I can't afford babies or Jimnys, so I'll do my push-ups and soldier on in my fully paid Gypsy.

Quote Originally Posted by DustGypsy View Post
    I saw they're about to start production in India, hope it's not a case of "Oh, you have a Japan-built Jimny....those are the good ones."
    Didn't see the article myself but apparently there are (again) rumors about a 5-door Jimny to follow soon.

I can't afford babies or Jimnys, so I'll do my push-ups and soldier on in my fully paid Gypsy.
    Last edited by Coetzee Kuilsrivier; 2021/01/29 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Wrong post
    Johan

Live Life!

Again according to the manual in 4L press and hold the ESP OFF switch for a while will deactivate Hill Holdcontrol system 3-58
    This works as you say, so how do you turn off traction control then?
    Vic

This works as you say, so how do you turn off traction control then?

Again not as I say but as the manual says. I agree these do not make sense but as I said right in the beginning this is what the manual
    says!!
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413

Again not as I say but as the manual says. I agree these do not make sense but as I said right in the beginning this is what the manual
    says!!
    How about getting out there, and try what you think it says in the manual and then come and give us feedback.
    Vic

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

There is a lot of demo models on the market with less than 1,000 km at a premium of about R 33,000 above the new price......

Suzuki just anounced that their Indian factories starting to produce JIMNY s, and will be the main supplier for South Africa

That will hopefully put an end to this current horse trading .
    2006 Fortuner D-4D 4x4
    2008 MercedesBenz 315cdi Avalon Motorhome
    2005 Bush Baby boswa
    Mobile call sign : ZS6CV

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast