Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: The 3 Provinces Unbeatable Trip with some Old Wheelers.

Also looking forward, busy doing the Transvaal Thing as we speak.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Rechardt feel very free to kick me off that WA Group........but I'll try behave from now on, promise

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

......Lyk my die Weer gaan - uhum - interessant wees

Hoe meer ek vir die ou GX se BFG's kyk hoe gladder lyk die goed vir my

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    ......Lyk my die Weer gaan - uhum - interessant wees

Hoe meer ek vir die ou GX se BFG's kyk hoe gladder lyk die goed vir my
    Ek ken daai gevoel Petri.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

Saturday's weather for 3 Provinces looks to be sunny and a pleasant 26C. See you all there!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Saturday's weather for 3 Provinces looks to be sunny and a pleasant 26C. See you all there!
    Y

Yip, its going to be awesome, some wet and muddy sections will be nice though..
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

Safe Travels boys and post some phodies
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Good Morning!!

Thanks again to Everyone, especially Rechardt, for organising, this was REALLY very enjoyable and it was nice meeting everyone.

In hindsight, I think us Vrystaters may have been a tad too loud, too dirty and too untidy, but thanks to Everyone keeping up with us

Guys PLEASE gooi some Pics.......!!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Trail report and pics will be posted shortly.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD_2982.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	605312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD_3001.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	605313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD_3006.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	605314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD_3009.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	605315

With some imagination, you can see a Verreaux's eagle in the last pic. It was great, can't wait for some more videos!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Jis Jens.......I took gravel all the way home (with Bettie) yesterday.........its SO SO green and beautiful!!

Feels as if you're riding through this green velvet thing......

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Trip Report
    3 Provinces- 5,6,7 February 2021
    Unbeatable and Unforgettable
    Although a small group of only 7 vehicles, once again 3 provinces proved that with some rain it can change the entire driving experience. As we know, all trails always change its teeth when the rain comes and washes away what you thought looked like the last time you were there.
    This weekend was no exception and the evidence of the fact that it was clear that there was hardly and vehicles through the trail in some time. Thank goodness for Tracks for Africa and a well explained route map, Well, for the guys going out in the next few weeks, we have carved the path very nicely J
    With sporadic patches of heavy rain throughout the drive to Waterval on Friday and the threat of a wet rainy weekend which I think did deter some others, we saw the arrival of the Boys and Gals. Half of the attendees took cabins and the other half, well we camped and it was dry, no wind, no rain and a clear night sky.
    Incredible Bob in the Big FJ – and we know, that FJ is just so incredible as the owner.
    Petri Oosthuizen and the boys in the Cruiser 4500/ 105 and Petri actually arrived on his XR 600 two wheeler which he rode from Bethlehem through the rain.
    Jens in the fantastic Pajero shorty- This shorty is absolutely amazing.
    Justus- OOM Paul in the Mighty Range Rover 4.6 SE - aka die skip. That suspension is fantastic.
    Strauss and his son in the Cruiser 79 V8Lx
    Ama newbie- Rob in the amazing Amarok V6. Yes he even did the tonnel.
    Rechardt in the ever so amazing Toyota Hilux GD 6.

Friday was chilled with setting up camps etc.. and everyone had a very early night.
    Saturday morning was very welcome with no rain the previous day or night, briefing and deflating was done by 08h30. Our host detailed the not negotiable parts due to Rain and lots of water and the Main trail was taken on and as you can imagine the trail immediately started to show us its wet teeth with surprises. Instantly it was Low range from the onset and that is where it would stay the entire day. Little did we know, that hidden below the surface was wet, black goo…. And what should have been a quick maximum 5 hour trail drive with only 7 Vehicles, became 7 and a half hour drive of the best fun, the fotos, a few mud slips and slides and 3 or 4 Mud recoveries.
    The drive took us to the waterfall where 5 of the 7 vehicles drove up. In the wet and as washed out as it was, the shorty Pajero was the best performer, Jens78 drove it like Pro even the Hilux had to give it a 2nd go before getting traction and getting up.
    Shortly after the waterfall came the best fun on an open up hill field.. the pics will speak for itself. It was thick and slipping and sliding buit we all got up and through it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP3x1fj3OcI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdluktC6TMw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OA1_WnuwDg

3 provinces majestic hills never seize you amaze us old and new and the rolling belts of green was beautiful.
    The meander was beautiful all the way to Helshoogte where the base was totally overgrown.
    That did not deter both the Mighty Cruisers of Petri and Strauss, The climb was gnarling with a bit of wet and lots of loose rock, but both Mighty Cruisers took it on and despite just 1 stop and go for both Cruisers, both summited without any damage. Oh might Toyota.
    Once on the road and some some Fotos, the ridge took us to the path up to the beacon. Again slippery and overgrown and on our way to the beacon we had 2 mud holes which quickly hooked the Pajero casing slight damage to the sump guard. We quickly got Rob into line and could only get Jens out backwards…. and…….. Rob got caught as well in the V6 Amarock. So another rope came out and was attached to the V8 Cruiser and a small pull did the trick getting Jens and Rob out of the 2 mud holes. One seems to lose track of time when you busy attaching ropes and pulling and pushing. I guess It’s because it’s always fun been the spectator.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkhd4RrFzXM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yzYFnoGYs

We continued and summited the 3 Provinces beacon for a group pic and were very fortunate to see 3 Black eagles in the breeding valley soaring to a show off. The trail then took us along the ridge where we then stopped for a few minutes at Willies se klip. For the guys that did not know, I quickly gave a short intro on the late Gentlemen Willie.
    Onwards down to the tonnel as we could start seeing some really dry throats. Well the Tunnel showed us exactly what we did not expect, or did we… washed out, wet, soft and snotty and with all the rain the sides washed down making it a bit narrower in some places. Some of the vehicles caught some serious side rash but everyone did it without any major damage or needing any recovery. Well accept for Ama- newbie who had no idea what to expect and exited it with spasmic knuckles. Well done Rob. The Pajero shorty again surpassed expectations.

You will note, I say very little about the 3 big boys, Ie, The Lx V8 Cruiser, the big 4500 efi 105 and the Range Rover 4,6 SE only because these are just brutal vehicles that skrik vir niks.
    Taking a left just out of the tunnel and up to the Uitkyk punt for a view and then back down as we came heading pass the log cabins towards the farm house.
    We lit fires late and all gathered up at the camp site for dinner, some good chat, day debriefing and for some, some much needed liquid calmettes. The company and the meeting of new people is always great and it again reminds us of why we belong to a forum of good decent people that share the same passion for nature and the outdoors.
    We kuired till around 10h30 but it was evident that the day was long and some early departures to go crash was made.
    The plan for Sunday morning g was deviated as some of the guys needed to depart very early. Jens and Bob both did a nice sleep in and Rob decided to take it easy leaving Justis and I alone to take on Tierkloof. After some discussion, we both also decided against Tierkloof as pre warned about the conditions by our hosts. I was not taking a chance with just 2 vehicles and I was right. Tierkloof was a snotty and wet as can be right from the onset. I went up alone for about a kilometre and then turned back down. I am sure if it dries up by next week it will be great for the new group.

All in and as always expected from 3 provinces, Unbeatable and unforgettable.
    Thanks to the great company, the fun with the camaradre and good company.. until we see you again.
    Last edited by rechardt; 2021/02/08 at 12:40 PM.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Richard! Owner Kobus and his son Jan helped me to take off that rattily sump guard. I'm going to take off some of that stupid plastic skirting that serves no purpose except to drag and shear off. I'm going to put some conveyor belt mud flaps and get the upper rear lights connected. Then it will look like a GLX shorty, which is fine by me. We drove home on some long stretches of gravel via Newcastle, Memel and Verkykerskop to Warden. The 80-odd km's of gravel between Memel and Warden meanders through some of the most stunning mountainous scenery imaginable, especially now that it's emerald green and the streams are flowing strongly. Perfect for a road trip to go see the hippos in the marshes at Seekoeivlei Nature Reserve outside Memel. Until next time!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Some random piccies from my side, unfortunately not HD Quality, sorry Guys. Die kinners kry altyd my upgrades en ek sit met die ou foon.

We left on Friday, myself, my 2 sons Jomar and Sev, and also a pal that I invited along, Strauss and his son Jake. Strauss' older son Strauss had to pull out, having hassles with a plane that he has to fly to Libya.

Strauss has a V8 S/Cab and I took the old GX EFI.

I actually decided on the spot not to travel to Volksrust by Car, but go with "Bettie", my old 1984 XT 600. GREAT stuff.

Only us and Rechardt were in the camp terrain, the rest of the Group in chalets, but THANKS to all of them for coming to say hello so often in the campsite, was really great meeting you Guys.

FLTR.....Strauss, Jake, Jomar's pal Stefan, my son Jomar, my other boy Sev, and the kortgat with the Tabasco hempie and grimy PT shorts is me. I think this is just after we did that Helshoogte Pass. I didnt touch a steering wheel, us old ballies decided to let the Boys have a go and enjoy the 4x4 driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Our somewhat untidy camping setup

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Some random Piccies......Guys PLEASE also contribute your media in here, we actually have very few good pics (if any)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x42.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	605343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x48.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	605344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x49.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	605345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x413.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	605346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x414.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	605347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x415.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	605348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x417.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	605351  

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

The Route was really STUNNING, with interesting and challenging obstacles, but still not really stuff where you can damage your Car badly.

Like I said, Strauss and I did minimal driving ourselves (I didnt at all), but it was SO rewarding to see our sons enjoying the bit more technical side of 4x4'ing. Lyk TOG asof hulle geluister het die Kortgat

As Rechardt said above, with the few extra obstacles here and there, some recoveries, the GX's flat tyre and the wet conditions we drove almost 8 Hours, but VERY VERY enjoyable.

We had a great get together the Saturday Evening, too - at the campsite.

Left earlyish on Sunday, and took the road back to Bethlehem via the R543 gravel road. Not without obstacles either........2 trucks stuck in the road, but the Guys managed to get through (I wasnt there - was riding the XT, gravel travel all the way home).

Thanks again Rechardt for organising!!!!!!1

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Pics Guys??

Samblief??

Petri has been hounding me to get some pics up. I have given in.

It was a ###### lekker weekend with some really good people. I had fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	605414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	605415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	605416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1821.jpg 
Size:	878.2 KB 
ID:	605418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	605419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_084540_0001_00_203620352_001656354.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	605420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1754.jpg 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	605421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	607.0 KB 
ID:	605422  

Name:	IMG_1830.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	605423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_075912_0001_00_195887104_001374690.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	605424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_103120_0001_00_234160128_001720428.jpg 
Size:	455.4 KB 
ID:	605425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_114146_0001_00_245104640_001463176.jpg 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	605427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_114953_0001_00_249561088_001484821.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	398.6 KB 
ID:	605428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_134403_0457_00_018022400_001095572.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	605429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_142354_0457_00_025296896_001244507.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	299.2 KB 
ID:	605430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_150035_0457_00_033095680_001882862.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	605431  

Name:	ch03_20210206_154158_0457_00_056557568_001396128.jpg 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	605432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210206_162001_0457_00_069140480_001366088.jpg 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	605433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210207_075627_0457_00_077987840_001488405.jpg 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	605434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch03_20210207_093813_0457_00_082640896_001301790.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	605435  
    Justus Immelman

2001 Range Rover P38

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oom_Paul For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast